• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1973 Anschutz firing pin

startagain2

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2021
USA
Folks, I will not belabor my purpose: I am seeking a firing pin for a model 54 Anschutz .22 target rifle. It does not have to be functional as I intend to use it for dry fire practice, and I can grind the tip back to protect the breech surface.

The pin I seek is 3.75 mm thick at it's end opposite where it hits the cartridge. Overall is as shown in the attached image.

TIA,

SA

Attachments

• old-anschutz-firing-pin.jpg
    old-anschutz-firing-pin.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 284
Welcome to the Hide.

We have a member on here - @deadly0311 - who is with Anschutz NA so maybe he will chime in.

But have you called them? They have great CS - no call centers in India, etc.

Starbuck, thanks, but this part is no longer available from Anschutz at all. Even the record of my firearm is back in Germany, not with Anschutz NA. I believe I am the second owner of this gun. I am hoping that someone has a failed firing pin which I can in turn use for dry fire purposes, as a good pin will damage the breech/barrel end.
Nice to have a real reply without a bunch of BS about rules / posting as I've encountered in another forum that could hopefully move my quest forward.
SA

While you look for a FP. would it be possible to make the FP short stroke with an O-ring or two or remove the extractor
and fire on a spent case or snap cap? You could also swap out your FP spring for something much lighter, that' the first
thing I would try.

I just took apart my 54 ( SN177599X ) and it's FP is different than yours so looking for a duplicate, may be like chasing your tail.

I would find a simple way to limit your FP movement and make a couple of the above changes. My bolt comes apart in 90
seconds so I'm guessing yours is similar.

Just a couple idea's for you to dismiss....

Attachments

• 599X FP.jpg
    599X FP.jpg
    707.3 KB · Views: 75
Folks, I will not belabor my purpose: I am seeking a firing pin for a model 54 Anschutz .22 target rifle. It does not have to be functional as I intend to use it for dry fire practice, and I can grind the tip back to protect the breech surface.

The pin I seek is 3.75 mm thick at it's end opposite where it hits the cartridge. Overall is as shown in the attached image.

TIA,

SA
Hey TIA,
I was poking around the Altius site and happened to run across this gizzmo. It likely wont work on your 54 but it
looks to me like they basically use it as a spacer to keep the FP from striking the breach area. I'm thinking a O-ring would
add some stand off and act as a bumper.

On my 54 a McMaster Carr #9657K107 ( .312 dia. x .023 wire x 1.5" ) long would work if used back to back. They come in packs of 12 for $5.94
so you could adjust the assembly easily. That would still get your gun cycling with a greatly reduced strike force.

If you happen to have a Bergara, I would install #8495A11 long nose spring plunger into the trigger. That would give you an adjustable sear
and an 11 oz. trigger pull. $4.56

Anschutz Dry-Fire Donut for Fortner $36.00​

They also offer a CZ 457 AT-One Bi-Athlon conversion. Who would have thought it..... LoL

Attachments

• 1000x6007103050.jpg
    1000x6007103050.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 1000x600CZ457Conversion_500.jpg
    1000x600CZ457Conversion_500.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: Deej
You might want to set the firing pin depth so it cant hit the breech face and damage the barrel and pin.

TIA,

SA
I have one available it was a spare for my 54 that I no longer own. It is in good shape. I won't be reachable until Jan.3 If interested you may call me 713 302 7906 or pm.
Evelio.

Reactions: Hegre
I have one available it was a spare for my 54 that I no longer own. It is in good shape. I won't be reachable until Jan.3 If interested you may call me 713 302 7906 or pm.
Evelio.
Shall do by phone. Nice to be in a responsive forum. Happy New Year!

SA

Shall do by phone. Nice to be in a responsive forum. Happy New Year!

SA
I am sorry Sir but immediately after I posted my no. I got a call from another person that has been looking for a replacement for a broken one, and he made me an offer I could not refuse.
These pins are impossible to find.
You know you can actually dry fire that gun without damaging the front of the chamber.

I am sorry Sir but immediately after I posted my no. I got a call from another person that has been looking for a replacement for a broken one, and he made me an offer I could not refuse.
These pins are impossible to find.
You know you can actually dry fire that gun without damaging the front of the chamber.
Okaayy....

From what I see on my bolt, and measure, the pin WILL contact the barrel end/breech unless there is some intervening metal.

Thanks for the heads up at this point.

SA

Okaayy....

From what I see on my bolt, and measure, the pin WILL contact the barrel end/breech unless there is some intervening metal.

SA
I am a gunsmith and most of my work is on Anchuthz rifles , and unless the barrel has been replaced, if it is still the original factory one, there is no way that the firing can contact the face of the chamber

Maybe that is what you need?

Otherwise
View attachment 7772898
Not exactly what your looking for but they fit and the rim size is right so it will extract by cycling the action.
That is the wrong pin. That is for the current bolt. Following Evellio's assertion, I have satisfied myself he is right, the pin does not touch the barrel end. Damn close, but no touch!
I like the idea of the screw anchors. Cheaper and easier than the snap caps. The idea of chasing them around my basement leaves me a little weak though.
SA2

Reactions: camocorvette
I have my old 54 and dry fired it and im sure others have too. There is no evidence of breach damage or even the slightest witness mark.
I would not worry about the breach area.
I am a gunsmith and most of my work is on Anchuthz rifles , and unless the barrel has been replaced, if it is still the original factory one, there is no way that the firing can contact the face of the chamber

The yellow drywall anchors work very well. They extract and eject too.

For a closer look comparing the round and anchor

I like the idea of the anchors too but I don't like chasing them. More importantly my two dogs chew on anything they can find
so I don't need them choking on them. Once a week one of them is hacking up one of my socks.

Personally, I would pull the extractor and use the same anchor repeatedly. Metal endures things that your not
aware of when it is struck and then has no case rim to cushion and absorb the energy. That energy has to go somewhere and I believe
it's best to send it into the anchor. Yours is even worse because of it's additional mass at the aft end that represents more energy.

I would have to see what the FP is repeatedly hammering inside of the bolt. The breach area isn't the only
place that may take damage. Since it's not hitting the breach, something else must be absorbing the energy of the
spring / FP combination.

I just pasted this from the Nordic Marksman FP link from above:
Note: Firing pin to be adjusted in length by qualified gunsmith.
It looks like they cut the nose short to preserve the breach but that doesn't mean that dry firing is now safe.
Using that pin as an example, I would not want the taper at the front of the FP to be hammering into the inside of my bolt.

I know, yours is different but I would look what stops it's forward motion. My 54 FP is different than both of them.

Good luck.

That is the wrong pin. That is for the current bolt. Following Evellio's assertion, I have satisfied myself he is right, the pin does not touch the barrel end. Damn close, but no touch!
I like the idea of the screw anchors. Cheaper and easier than the snap caps. The idea of chasing them around my basement leaves me a little weak though.
SA2

Attachments

• 20210525_181736.jpg
    20210525_181736.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 41
  • 81239978_10217717924832887_1339190353583931392_n.jpg
    81239978_10217717924832887_1339190353583931392_n.jpg
    765.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 82137228_10217717927312949_5638545680231301120_n.jpg
    82137228_10217717927312949_5638545680231301120_n.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 32
I like the idea of the anchors too but I don't like chasing them. More importantly my two dogs chew on anything they can find
so I don't need them choking on them. Once a week one of them is hacking up one of my socks.

Personally, I would pull the extractor and use the same anchor repeatedly. Metal endures things that your not
aware of when it is struck and then has no case rim to cushion and absorb the energy. That energy has to go somewhere and I believe
it's best to send it into the anchor. Yours is even worse because of it's additional mass at the aft end that represents more energy.

I would have to see what the FP is repeatedly hammering inside of the bolt. The breach area isn't the only
place that may take damage. Since it's not hitting the breach, something else must be absorbing the energy of the
spring / FP combination.

I just pasted this from the Nordic Marksman FP link from above:
Note: Firing pin to be adjusted in length by qualified gunsmith.
It looks like they cut the nose short to preserve the breach but that doesn't mean that dry firing is now safe.
Using that pin as an example, I would not want the taper at the front of the FP to be hammering into the inside of my bolt.

I know, yours is different but I would look what stops it's forward motion. My 54 FP is different than both of them.

Good luck.
So you know the drill with house critters! One dog and two cats. The 'fun' never ends with their proclivities.

Onward into a better year!
SA2

SA2,
I love them and would do anything to protect them. No quarter would be given to the threat........

Okaayy....

SA
If you look at the back end of the firing pin, the high section is actually a mechanical stop that will hit on a notch on the bolt body when dry firing the gun. That is what stop the firing pin from hitting the face of the chamber. I shot Silhouette for over 30 years, and dry fired for practice all the time, and never hurt the chamber or the firing pin itself.
You can actually insert a fired case in the chamber, or one of the plastic anchors, and raise the bolt handle, and close it again which will cock the gun, you don't have to open the bolt back to re-cock it, that way you can use the same case or anchor over and over without actually extracting it. Once you are done dry firing, then extract the case, and use a new one next time.
Evelio.