• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

198 Flatlines in 300win mag

Head to the source

R26 gives remarkable performance, but watch out on hot days. The max load listed in the Warner data would be very hot in my gun.

H4831sc gives good performance and is more temperature stable.

The Warner data is from QuickLoad and has not been tested. It also doesn't give all the information you need to compare your components to what they used in the simulation. 300WM brass varies widely in capacity. They chose to list the usable case capacity, which is what remains after seating the bullet. You're not going to figure that out unless you measure your brass and also have a copy of Quickload. Working backwards with my copy of QuickLoad, it looks like they started with a case capacity of 93.5 grains of water.

If you haven't used the Flatlines before, check your seating stem to make sure the bullet tip doesn't bottom and put a fresh chamfer on the case mouth before seating. I also use a little imperial sizing wax on the bearing surface to further reduce bullet shaving. Avoiding powders that have fill percentages above 97-98% also helps to avoid seating problems. You're trying to prevent bent tips and shaving the bullets. It's not really that tricky once you figure it out.

I have a URSA shooter point for going 5/10 at 2050 yards on a 37" gong with a 300wm 198 flatline load. It was Norma brass, BR2 primers, 78.0 grains of R26, 3.968" oal. The chamber was from a PTG 300wm Tac Match reamer with 0.097" of free bore. The bullet was touching the lands. Velocity was 3180 fps from a 30" barrel. The brass gave 3-4 loadings at that pressure.

Reactions: DIBBS
R26 gives remarkable performance, but watch out on hot days. The max load listed in the Warner data would be very hot in my gun.

H4831sc gives good performance and is more temperature stable.

The Warner data is from QuickLoad and has not been tested. It also doesn't give all the information you need to compare your components to what they used in the simulation. 300WM brass varies widely in capacity. They chose to list the usable case capacity, which is what remains after seating the bullet. You're not going to figure that out unless you measure your brass and also have a copy of Quickload. Working backwards with my copy of QuickLoad, it looks like they started with a case capacity of 93.5 grains of water.

Sid:
You are making assumptions based on your results... There is a lot more tweaking of QL to get solids to conform than meets the eye.
If your brass is gone after three or four firings, you are loading too hot.

All our spreadsheets are on the conservative side for safety's sake. Work up loads in YOUR barrel !!!!

Alan

Alan,

I know that load was hot, that's why I posted the case life. It has nothing to do with the bullet and everything to do with how much powder I decided to use. 3-4 loading pressures aren't uncommon for ELR competition loads. Those pressures can also settle down the velocity spreads.

It's also longer and a grain below the max in your data. The case also has more volume. So no, all your data isn't on the conservative side.

And yes, I'm making assumptions based on results. Did you test that 300wm R26 load?

Not in that chambering. I ran a 300wsm and found R26 to spike quickly. Ended with N560. 3050 was mild. Grouped better at 3010.

It is impossible for us to shoot every cartridge and projectile combination to gain real world numbers. There is enough data out there that others have shot to backup the fact that the published data does not yield pressure Under most conditions. That is why we always state that you shoul always back off a few grains even from the published numbers just in case you conditions are outside the norm. There are several factors that will dictate different pressures in specific components. Bore abd groove dimensions, case capacity, etc. Speaking of that, no two brands or even lots of brass will have the exact same capacity, so we run with the QL default. If you would like a custom load chart generated, we are happy to do so. The more info you can supply, the more accurate the results will be. So if you can send us barrel length, cartridge, and case capacity, we can tailor a chart for your specific setup.

Hi Guys. I'm a new member and was looking through the posts. Thought I would post my findings on my 198 Warners with my Win Mag. Live in Namibia (Southern Africa area). Got some load data from Dan Warner (on a Sunday afternoon-thanks Dan!), and loaded up a ladder using VV N560 and N565. My rifle is a Tikka with a GRS Stock and 29" Shilen barrel. Started the N560 at 74 grains and found beginnings of pressure at 77g at 3135 fps. Using N565 started at 78 grains and saw early signs of pressure at 81grains at 3155 fps. Got an accuracy node at 80g N565 at 3120 fps. Been trying different load depths as I have a very long freebore. Oal 4.135' when ogive touching the lands. Best I could do with loading as long as possible was 4.030" TPL, which still left me just over .100" off the lands. No good group, as I think I didn't have enough of the bullet seated, and led to concentricity issues. Found a group of around .6MOA at 3120 with the 80gr of N560 at 3.940'TPL. By the way, at the longer length of 4.030, I could get 3200fps with no pressure, but because we shoot Long Range competitions, I would rather have a better group than chase speed. Our altitude is around 5000 ft. Sorry for the long post. Cheers.

Hi Guys. I'm a new member and was looking through the posts. Thought I would post my findings on my 198 Warners with my Win Mag. Live in Namibia (Southern Africa area). Got some load data from Dan Warner (on a Sunday afternoon-thanks Dan!), and loaded up a ladder using VV N560 and N565. My rifle is a Tikka with a GRS Stock and 29" Shilen barrel. Started the N560 at 74 grains and found beginnings of pressure at 77g at 3135 fps. Using N565 started at 78 grains and saw early signs of pressure at 81grains at 3155 fps. Got an accuracy node at 80g N565 at 3120 fps. Been trying different load depths as I have a very long freebore. Oal 4.135' when ogive touching the lands. Best I could do with loading as long as possible was 4.030" TPL, which still left me just over .100" off the lands. No good group, as I think I didn't have enough of the bullet seated, and led to concentricity issues. Found a group of around .6MOA at 3120 with the 80gr of N560 at 3.940'TPL. By the way, at the longer length of 4.030, I could get 3200fps with no pressure, but because we shoot Long Range competitions, I would rather have a better group than chase speed. Our altitude is around 5000 ft. Sorry for the long post. Cheers.

Great data. I actually went out recently and got a bunch of rl26, rl33, n560, n565, n570, h1000 and retumbo so I can do a bunch of tests with different bullets since we all are having our events canceled here in the US with the COVID19 going on. I have been very interested in the 198gr flatlines. I am wondering how they will do compared to my 230gr Atips out to a mile? Will they outperform them do to speed? We will find out soon enough lol

Great data. I actually went out recently and got a bunch of rl26, rl33, n560, n565, n570, h1000 and retumbo so I can do a bunch of tests with different bullets since we all are having our events canceled here in the US with the COVID19 going on. I have been very interested in the 198gr flatlines. I am wondering how they will do compared to my 230gr Atips out to a mile? Will they outperform them do to speed? We will find out soon enough lol

Awesome Derek. I used to shoot the 230SMK’s at 2860fps. Tried the 250 A-Tips. Shot them at 2790. Very nice and consistent. The 198’s at 3120odd outperform them though. Looks like they’ll go to around 2300m before going subsonic. We’re also in Covid lockdown do will have to wait a few weeks to go and confirm BC’s and dope to 2000m. Can’t wait!!!

That's awesome. I found two nodes with the 230s in my 1:8 28" barrel and those are at 2975 and 2885fps. The 2885 grouped much better so that's what I'm currently shooting and they are incredible. I can definitely understand how 250fps faster mv can definitely be a Gamechanger when talking about 2000y or less before everything goes transonic. Can't wait to get some flatlines and test it all out.

Guys,
RE loading the 198s for precision. Don't have them jump a lot, or at all. They don't like it, as in 1" groups at 100. Get them close or just touching, and bang, 1 holers. Unfortunately, the way the bearing area is setup on those things, they are jump sensitive, one of the most. This has been my experience.

Please post up some reports from the range. I'm interested to hear. I have a 300WSM barrel waiting for me to get tired of the 198s in the 308.

Guys,
RE loading the 198s for precision. Don't have them jump a lot, or at all. They don't like it, as in 1" groups at 100. Get them close or just touching, and bang, 1 holers. Unfortunately, the way the bearing area is setup on those things, they are jump sensitive, one of the most. This has been my experience.

Please post up some reports from the range. I'm interested to hear. I have a 300WSM barrel waiting for me to get tired of the 198s in the 308.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I have to jump mine, as my freebore is too long to seat them enough and then still have them touching or close. Got a 2” group of 5 shots at 300m though so not too bad. Will post more info when Covid lock down is over.

Dan Warner did. Results are post some where in this section.
Due to the lock down I haven’t gotten to shoot them very far yet my self

Reactions: TxDerek
Has anyone tested them through transonic and recorded results?
Our test results aside, based on their winning record at distances shot beyond supersonic flight, it is safe to say that they transition just fine.
When we tested the Tubb ring addition, we found that they transition even better than what we originally expected. That translates to the mean that we had to shoot them about 2x further than planned to see where they started to destabilize.

Our test results aside, based on their winning record at distances shot beyond supersonic flight, it is safe to say that they transition just fine.
When we tested the Tubb ring addition, we found that they transition even better than what we originally expected. That translates to the mean that we had to shoot them about 2x further than planned to see where they started to destabilize.
Just acquired a 300rum with a 30" tube so I'm definitely going to have to try then out in the 300wm and now the 300rum. I'm excited. My wife has some of the 361s to test out in her 375ct as well.