• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1980’s REM 700 Custom Help

RIGREG

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2023
Rhode Island
Happy New Year.
I don’t expect positive ID or 100% affirmation. I’d just like to get a sense of the features on this customized, 1980’s Remington 700 I’m considering. I’m just working off sellers pictures and description.
My questions are:
Is the side bolt release shown likely a premium install, or was that something from Brownell’s that could be DIY with a Craftsman drill at the kitchen table?
Do these barrel markings spark any thoughts? 30(?)NEON or NECK maybe? I’m guessing the other stamp is the barrel installer’s. The seller said it’s a Hart Stainless in 308.

It’s got a period Weaver Micro Trak, so I’m guessing it was someone’s Varmint rifle or maybe for some competition. He thought enough of it to install a premium barrel and scope. The rest of the rifle looks like standard BDL except for a trigger shoe. The price is reasonable if the barrel isn’t shot out. Any input is appreciated. My gut says buy it, but I could without it, as well. Am I missing any red flags?

Thanks, Greg

002E5488-141C-478A-A1AF-8E3EEA72DA6D.jpeg1656B878-1657-483B-A7BF-19FAD25B618F.jpeg

How much they asking?

Side release would be a negative for me. I have never been able to figure what’s wrong with the factory save I could see it being a weak point if you tend to run your bolt hard to the stops aft and fore. I like I messed with receivers save they are clip slotted, setup for a lugged scope base and cut per USMC spec at the ejection port.

If price is rightlooks like fun Gun.

I ran a Weaver on my M40A1 waiting for the USO MSTs to be made. It was a competent scope. I’m guessing no reference in the reticle though. I’d want something with at least a mil dot.

Reactions: Sisq longgun
That bolt stop is a benchrest artifact. Was very common with sleeved and glued in actions.

Better pics of the barrel stamp would help id what it reads.

How much they asking?

Side release would be a negative for me. I have never been able to figure what’s wrong with the factory save I could see it being a weak point if you tend to run your bolt hard to the stops aft and fore. I like I messed with receivers save they are clip slotted, setup for a lugged scope base and cut per USMC spec at the ejection port.

If price is rightlooks like fun Gun.

I ran a Weaver on my M40A1 waiting for the USO MSTs to be made. It was a competent scope. I’m guessing no reference in the reticle though. I’d want something with at least a mil dot.
$850, asking price. That’s why it caught my attention. As you say, “Looks like a fun gun” It will just never be a M40 donor for me because it’s got the B prefix. I hadn’t thought about the side release as used for hard stops. Maybe this rifles seen a lot of rounds in rapid fire. I not familiar with the competitions from those days.
The scope looks like KT series. Not the coveted T10.

That bolt stop is a benchrest artifact. Was very common with sleeved and glued in actions.

Better pics of the barrel stamp would help id what it reads.
Artifact says it all. Thanks for the insight. I never heard of “sleeved and glued in actions” but I guess it was a bedding technique the BR guys used. That’s the best zoom I could get of the barrel stamp. It located over on the right side, so reads upside down if viewed from the bolt side of the rifle. That makes me think it could have been rechambered and set back. Or whatever they do to freshen up or reuse a barrel.C9E1CCAD-A49E-4849-91F6-856D4413D171.jpeg65D8E540-A419-44DF-AADA-49972791AC61.jpeg

Last edited:
Artifact says it all. Thanks for the insight. I never heard of “sleeved and glued in actions” but I guess it was a bedding technique the BR guys used. That’s the best zoom I could get of the barrel stamp. It located over on the right side, so reads upside down if viewed from the bolt side of the rifle. That makes me think it could have been rechambered and set back. Or whatever they do to freshen up or reuse a barrel.View attachment 8310580View attachment 8310584
Id agree its likely been set back. Even slipped in the barrel vice it appears. Id pass on it. Just doesn't seem like a good value to me.

Reactions: Charlie112
Custom side bolt release’s were pretty standard on XP-100’s, which had no external release (took a small screwdriver slipped between the bolt and the action to release the bolt). So, the technology was a pretty standard type modification during that time period. On a 700, it would be a more convenient way to release the bolt. Not a serious issue.

Jeweling on the bolt looks pretty good. Seems like the jeweling is worn/heavily worn on most guns I run into from that era (lots of cycling/no lube). Doesn't look to have been used and abused. May have went straight to a rebarrel not long after it was bought. Depends, if your into vintage stuff I'd think pretty heavily about picking it up. Looks well kept, and not abused. I like vintage 700's.

Thanks all for helping me sort it out. Sometimes I get tunnel vision and need to step back and look objectively. I’m looking for an M40 donor and this popped up. For that purpose it’s not suitable for me. So I’ll leave it for someone who wants it for what it is.

I guess it’s like my father‘s surf rods from the 70’s. He had some 10’ to 12’ or longer, one piece, custom built rods. They had massive Penn, pre-Z series spinning reels. Another one was a Penn bait-caster. I think the blanks were Lami-Glass in those days. There was no reel attachment base. Reels were clamped directly to the cork tape wrapped down the handle area. He also took care of them. Rinsing them with fresh water after every trip. Point is, those surf rods were custom built for a specific purpose for the guy who knew exactly what he wanted. Today they would be considered outdated. Maybe the fish would be insulted. If my father had been into target shooting, he probably would have had this type setup.

Thanks again,
Greg

I bought one of my M40 donors out of the PX here and another as a whole rifle on GB. I didn't care to look for the right 6 digit range but did want Pre 68.

Beever on EBay just put out two nice stocks that were sold perhaps he will have more coming if you are looking for wood.

I bought one of my M40 donors out of the PX here and another as a whole rifle on GB. I didn't care to look for the right 6 digit range but did want Pre 68.

Beever on EBay just put out two nice stocks that were sold perhaps he will have more coming if you are looking for wood.
I'm with you. I'll be happy with a pre 68 receiver, the year I was born. For those of us born before enactment of 1968 GCA in October, I wonder if we might be grandfathered under the old laws.

I've been accumulating stuff on the Bay mostly. Got the Beever56 2pack of stocks, an assortment of period Redfied mounts and scopes, and correct buttplates, too. For the initial build, I'd like find a 308 Varmint and save rebarreling, but I'll take what makes sense at the time. I just want a shootable replica. I did buy a later .22 cal 40x with 24" Heavy Barrel to build on the second stock. Correct swivels are generally overpriced for what used to be a parts drawer throw away. Slings will get added when I find them. I'm sure I have at least one period web sling at home.

All this stuff is piling up right now and I haven't even seen it. I'm almost done with a deployment, National Guard, so it will be fun to get home and figure it all out.

Greg

Reactions: pmclaine
I'm with you. I'll be happy with a pre 68 receiver, the year I was born. For those of us born before enactment of 1968 GCA in October, I wonder if we might be grandfathered under the old laws.

I've been accumulating stuff on the Bay mostly. Got the Beever56 2pack of stocks, an assortment of period Redfied mounts and scopes, and correct buttplates, too. For the initial build, I'd like find a 308 Varmint and save rebarreling, but I'll take what makes sense at the time. I just want a shootable replica. I did buy a later .22 cal 40x with 24" Heavy Barrel to build on the second stock. Correct swivels are generally overpriced for what used to be a parts drawer throw away. Slings will get added when I find them. I'm sure I have at least one period web sling at home.

All this stuff is piling up right now and I haven't even seen it. I'm almost done with a deployment, National Guard, so it will be fun to get home and figure it all out.

Greg
Start a post on the vintage section on your build. You will find lots of support, help and probably parts.