• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 1st Polymer pistol

WOMBAT2879

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2007
Benton,Arkansas
Guys,I am thinking of taking the plunge and finally trying out a polymer pistol.I am new to these as I have always had 1911's.I am undecided as to which pistol to get,it has to be a 45 acp as I only want to stock 1 caliber of ammo.If you polymer pros could give me some of your recommendations and why,I would appreciate any and all help in making a decision.

Wombat

Re: 1st Polymer pistol

I think the M&P is the most like a 1911. Mine is a 9mm 5" pro model, which has a very light (for a polymer) pistol (even lighter than my glock with the 3.5 lb connector). It has a lower bore axis than the XD, the proper 1911 grip angle, and, perhaps best of all, interchangeable grips to get it to fit your hand.

I really think S&W hit the mark with the M&P. It's too bad they made the compact too friggen small or I'd own that, too.

springfield XD series has the similar grip safety. HK has some similar features to the 1911 in .45. The USP and the HK45 I think.

I am leaning toeards the XD,I have a couple of Springfields and I have always been pleased with their products and service.

I DONT care for the XD's or the XDm's, I feel that their bore exis is too high and I dont care for them. They also look tall from the top of the trigger openting to the top of the slide and it looks out of proportion to me.

My wife just acquired a Steyr M9A1 9mm that is sweet!At my suggestion,LOL.I was at a local gun show and the NRA show sampling the feel of all the grips on all the plastic pistols and I really liked the Steyr best.I'm liking those trapezoidal sites.They work surprisingly well.

They all have their strengths and weakness's.I like the way the XD feels too but don't like the tall slide on it or the HK.The M&P handles well and has good recoil characteristics as does Glock.I like the FN but haven't shot one.I was hoping that Bear would let us shoot his after LVshooter's match but we only got to lust.LOL

OOPS!Some of these pistols don't come in 45ACP.Sorry

Steve

I like both my glock 21 and HK usp. I prefer the glock though.

HK USP 45 is the best pistol I own, dont get me wrong, I love the 1911, my TRP operator is second on the list but for polymer the USP 45 is awesome, the newer HK45 is also a badass pistol, I had one for about 4 months but let it go in a trade for the TRP. I have 4 HK pistols and 2 glocks, the only non-polymer pistols have are 1911's. While the HK's are considerably more expensive than say an M&P or a XD or even a glock, they are well worth it in my eyes. The 2 stage recoil system has a really nice feel to it, dare I say better than a Glock? If you are looking to mount a light or something to that effect on the pistol I would urge you to go with an HK 45 as it has the standard rail as opposed to HK's own rail, which greatly inhibits what you can put on the pistol.

Hope this helps,
Taylor Lee

A buddy of mine has a USP in .40 that I have shot a couple of times.From what I remember it was a very fine shooting gun.We don't have anyone here close by that stocks any HK pistols,I was really wanting to handle a few of them together and compare them.Do any of you guys know the overall length on the HK 45?

I just bought a sig 220 carry, its da/sa but you can get them in sa, and that son of a bitch just flat shoots. Sigs arent cheap i know, but well worth the money. It throws up straight, well balanced and if feels really good, in my hands anyway. Did i mention that it flat shoots?

Ubet

If you want a gun that is very similiar to a 1911 then the M&P 45 with thumb safety is it, also with a good trigger job it can feel almost identical to a 1911 trigger. The XD is a great gun as well, the HK45 is a great shooting gun and the USP 45 isnt as great as the USP 40 fullsize or compacts imo. Glocks are glocks, but the best way for you to decide is shoot all of them and then decide which one you prefer, because it all comes down to personal preference

I have a S&W m&p in .40 and like it rather well. There is something to be said about the safety, like some one else posted a manual thumb safety would be the way to go. It shoots nice and is easy to clean and maintain. I too am a proud owner of a Springfield 1911 (loaded) and am not displeased with the Smith and Wesson.

I personally think that the M&P thumb safety is in the wrong place to compare to a 1911, but it doesn't stop me from loving the M&P's overall design. I'd prefer no thumb safety though.

I've owned, or continue to own Glocks, HK's, and XD's.....and a number of each of them.

I've recently come to the conclusion that I've gotten the "plastic gun" bug out of my system and am slowly selling off everything except for the 1911's (which have never hiccuped ONCE).

Have fun with your adventures in the land of polymer.

Funny thing about your post,I've spent all week looking at and shooting these pistols and I think I may just decide to stick with the 1911's.I love the accuracy and trigger on the 1911's.

The XD with a Powder River striker safety lever and overtravel kit is the only poly pistol this 1911 shooter likes (and I traded mine even liking it).

Wilson Combat KZ45 http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_kz45.asp.
It is a 1911 with a polymer frame. I had the compact version and sold it awhile ago. Kinda regret it now. It was light, controllable and had 10 rounds and the grips size was not much bigger than a standard frame; just a different shape. Be aware that you can't change out the trigger (I wanted a short trigger)like you can with a standard 1911. And I dislike wilson's finish. It chipped off and Wilson quoted me some amount to refinish it. At that time, I believe, they were advertising Armor tuff as guaranteed for life. So I got pissed and sold it.

if youre gonna have a 1911 dont get it with a polymer frame
crazy.gif

Take a look into just what the slide is sliding on. I looked at the Springfield XD's, but the rear slide surfaces are cut into polymer. The Glocks I've seen, as well as the H&K USP, feature metal to metal interface in this high stress area. Does it matter? It did to me!

I thought so too about the raer slide rails on the XD, but the front locking block's rails have way more contact area than Glocks or HK's.
Lots of USPSA guys shoot the XD's in Production class and they are holding up great with lots and lots of rounds through them.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: riverguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm presently looking at adding the FNH .45 to my collection and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this new polymer pistol ? </div></div>

I don't know why you'd want a hammer fired plastic pistol. Then you're stuck with a DA/SA.

Striker fired is much better...only one trigger pull to learn.

Glock, XD or M&P are the only current polymer guns that I would carry.

If I was buying a new polymer .45ACP right now it would be the M&P. I love my G21 and it's never once had a weapon related malfunction, but the M&P fits my hand better. Too bad for now the G21 is the only authorized duty pistol at my department.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought so too about the raer slide rails on the XD, but the front locking block's rails have way more contact area than Glocks or HK's.
Lots of USPSA guys shoot the XD's in Production class and they are holding up great with lots and lots of rounds through them..... </div></div>

I pulled my XD 40 compact (Stainless) last night to check the rear rails and yes, it is polymer, but the front rail block is steel and massive by comparison.

Sadly, I found I had neglected her and the sweat from continous daily IWB carry, had caused the striker unit ( a carbon steel cylinder that slides back and forth in its cylindrical raceway) to literally lock up in its raceway. I was able to get it slid forward far enough to disassemble the rear of the slide and get it cleaned up and lubed, but it is something to keep in mind. I neglected the XD and didn't notice it had locked up. I hate to think I was walking around with it in that state but I think it is likely. Dumbass me...

I have 1 XD, 1 Glock 23 and 2 S&W M&Ps. I like them all and would love to own more!