• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

1st "Real" build, would like your advice/thoughts

Mouse

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2007
I’d like some advice/opinions from the experienced…

I’m getting ready to start my first precision rifle build from “scatch” if you will. I’m going to start with a Stiller action (90% sure that I’m using Stiller), the stock is still somewhat up in the air. The two things I’m sure about is that I’m using Nightforce optics, I have one on my 700 PSS and I like it very much and the other is the caliber, 300 WinMag.
I’d like your thoughts on 2 different things; I’m pretty certain that I’ll be using a 26” barrel but I’m still undecided on twist, the other is I’m seriously considering using a left hand action. I’m a right handed shooter and have no intention of changing shoulders, I just like the thought of not having to remove my shooting hand from the action to cycle the bolt when I can use the off hand and get back on target quicker.
In your opinion does using a left hand action for a right hand shooter offer any real advantage? Is a lefty a detriment when it comes time for a re-sale? What are the advantages/disavantages?

I’m not a high speed – low drag kinda guy, I’m built for comfort and the rifle will be a varmint neutralizer and maybe a few times a year a 1000 yard gun, just for fun.
Point me in the right direction here gents, let me benefit from your experience!
Thanks!!!

Re: 1st "Real" build, would like your advice/thoughts

Suggest going with a 1-10 twist, should let you run some of the heavy bullets for distance stuff, and will work OK with lighter bullets also.

Don't know how good resale is for left hand stuff, I've kept my LH HTR, everything else is RH that I use.

Since I can use both, don't see any particular advantage either way. Suggest you decide on what you really want, then practice with it (my point is, go shoot more, fuss about equipment less).

To you point of LH stuff. I am LH and it's much harder to find stocks and actions and some stock companies don't even make LH stocks for certain brands. I have a tikka t3 and bell and Carlson does not even make a LH stock for my rifle. IMO I would stick to the rh stuff it just gives you more options. Good luck with your build.

Take a look at a Surgeon 1086, Defiance, or Bighorn action. Go with the one that you can get your hands on soonest. They are worth the extra money.

For a stock consider, take a look at the McMillans that Southern Precision Rifles (aka bugholes) has or the stocks Manners has ready to go. Or, talk with Milehighshooting and get yourself an AI chassis.

Buy a barrel from Bugholes or elsewhere that matches the contour. Consider a MTU or heavy varmint/palma contour if you're not going to have to haul the rifle over long distances. 1/10 twist over 26" is what you'll want. Be sure to thread for a muzzle brake (badger FTE, APA bastard brake, etc).

Unless you're getting a chassis system, consider getting Surgeon DBM; or get whatever your stock is already inletted for if you get one already made from Bugholes or Manners (Badger, CDI, etc).

Send all your parts to a good gunsmith. There are too many good ones to list. Call around and ask for a realistic lead time on a component supplied build. If you supply all parts you can usually get your rifle back in a couple of months.

I probably should have posted this in the beginning but I’m strongly leaning towards a Broughton 5C fluted barrel, not decided upon a brake yet, I’m still searching the old posts and reading up on things before I render a decision. As far as the stock is concerned I have a few ideas but I simply haven’t decided on which direction that I’m going, with the kind of $$$ being funneled to this I’m not going to make a hasty decision. I really really like the J.A.E.700 (stop laughing at me), I know the thoughts that it’s vaporware etc etc etc but I’m going to do some additional research. I don’t like following trends or fads so I tend to be a little stubborn sometimes and take my time reaching a decision. I just picked up a McRee chassis for a 700 so I’m going to toy with it for a while and see how it performs and go from there.
I’ve spoken to A.J. Brown (I’m in Indiana) about screwing everything together once everything is ready.
Thanks for the ideas so far, please don’t stop!