• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 1st round and last round fliers?

krink85

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2008
Sierra Vista AZ
I recently purchased a DPMS LR308 used form a gun shop. I have no clue what happened with the gun before me but after puttign 100 or so rounds down the tube I have noticed a couple things. First its alot eaiser to shoot more with a semi auto than bolt action
grin.gif
, second I need to remember to tighten the scope rings all the way before I shoot
crazy.gif
(this was done before I was havign problems and fixed), third and most important one the first round and the last round shot are fliers. They are not half an inch from the group but 2-3 inches. 3 round groups were pissing me off, so I started 4 and 5 round groups. the middle shots were shooting under an inch. I was shooting prone off a pack. It was only at 100 yards with the wind at my back @8-10 mph. I was shooting FGMM 168s 1-10 twist 18 barrel w/JP brake. Scope is a 10x SS. I think I have the who,what,where,and when now all i need is the why. Other than military this is the first AR I have shot for precision. Any help would be helpfull. Thanks in advance.

Rink

Re: 1st round and last round fliers?

This is just a guess but, first round flier is more than likely bad position try some dry fire and NPA before first round. Last round may just be as LowLight has explained before typical of a semi's last round having a different recoil impulse. This is all a guess based on little info.

what is the trigger like?

good triggers solve a lot of problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is just a guess but, first round flier is more than likely bad position try some dry fire and NPA before first round. Last round may just be as LowLight has explained before typical of a semi's last round having a different recoil impulse. This is all a guess based on little info. </div></div>

+1

Also, unlike the rest of the rounds in an semi-auto, the first round is loaded manually and the bolt may not lock up as tight as it does when the gun is loading itself.

Its a JP trigger. Red springs not sure of the weight.

I make an attempt to hit the bolt release every time but I will do some research on the manual close and what not.

Also I will be dry firing and paying attention more to my body positions.

As Sinister explained later, the last round syndrome in an AR-10 (and supposedly in an AR-15) is due to the bolt stop pressing on the bolt; it has nothing to do with the "different recoils".

With that in mind, for a 5 shot group, you should load 7 cartridges. Shoot the first one on another target, then shoot your 5 shot group and either eject the last round or shoot it in the other target along with the first round.

Aw, man -- that's cheatin'!

The group's the group the way you'll deploy the weapon.

Sinister, I'm just trying to help the poor man figure out a good way that he can produce a "defensible" 5-shot group.

My groups are 15 or 20 rounds at a minimum of 300 yards. Anything less than or closer than that is cheatin' in my book.

One day, I hope to shoot sub-moa "all day long," if "I do my part." Came close last match with a 199-7 @ 300 on the FC. (Shot 17 was a 9. I must have sneezed or something.)

Yeah, maybe I'm allergic to brass or gunpowder. I'll try a noseplug or a full face mask. Nah, you'd call that cheatin' also.

Try swapping mags around. I had the same issues with my M1A back in the day. I ran about 10 magazines before I found the 3 that I used across the course with the same POI as the "pull and let go" magazine.

Cheers,

Doc

Frank had a big discussion about it a few months back that is why I referenced it. When I said different recoil impulse I am talking about the entire recoil and its effect. do a search and you can see what he said if ya' don't believe me Sig.

I would agree that the last round is a combination of issues - 1, the bolt stop is now in play.

You can eliminate this variable by eliminating the bolt stop. No joke. Goodbye.

2, many semi's do not have any contact with the bottom of the bolt when there are no cartridges in the magazine. So an upwards pressure that was there is no longer in evidence. This can be eliminated through loading more rounds than will be fired.

Some guns throw the last flier to roughly the same spot. My M14 did this. It was always +1 MOA up and 1/4 MOA right (group center). You can make a group of the flyers and then hold over for the last round to get it to land right.