• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 1st time using ProBed 2000

WeiserBucks

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    Weiser , Idaho
    20200331_163809.jpg

After my other stock failed I grabbed a beater A3 out of the PX to get me by for a while. It was pretty fucked up, the adjustable cheek piece was basically broken and the stock was cracked through the front action hole.

I ripped the KMW hardware out of the cheek piece and epoxied the piece in place, no longer adjustable. Triad stock pack will be used. I cross bolted the stock to hopefully hold the recoil lug/front action screw area together.

Bedded it today with ProBed 2000 , stuff is awesome. It's super thick and doesn't run all over the place, its about the consistency of toothpaste. I also used a can of LRI's release agent, tomorrow I'll pop it apart and have a final verdict .

Love to see how the Probed 2000 is going to work.
    The end result will tell the tale, but so far I like it much better than everything I've used in the past . I've got a rifle that Charlie built and it's bedded with Probed 2000 , his bedding work is flawless and hopefully mine comes out with satisfactory results. I've bedded 5-6 rifles in the past and results are okay visually but they all shoot well.

I used Pro bed 2000 for
    My first bedding job. Came out great and will continue to use in the future.

The good news is that the barreled action is stuck in the stock! This is a first for me. I'm going to spend the morning trying to get it out. Fuck.

If you can't wiggle it out, put it in the freezer for an hour and give it another try.

If that doesn't work, you can go the opposite route and place a clothes iron on top of the rail. Set it on high and wait 15 minutes. It should soften it up enough to remove the BA.
    The iron technique is used to remove glued in Benchrest actions.

Reactions: sandwarrior
    It came out. Several good whacks on the rail with a dead blow did the trick. I've got it all cleaned up now and it's definitely the best bedding job I've ever done. I'm sold on the Probed 2000 and LRI's release agent, will be using both exclusively in the future.

It came out. Several good whacks on the rail with a dead blow did the trick. I've got it all cleaned up now and it's definitely the best bedding job I've ever done. I'm sold on the Probed 2000 and LRI's release agent, will be using both exclusively in the future.
    WHEW! Now that you know how tight it is, it will show it to be the best bedding job you ever did on the range!;)

Great looking bed job.

How do the ends look did you dam with clay or tape?

Barrel end of the bedding I did a clay dam, it came out so-so . That's the part I can't seem to ever get to come out with a clean look. One of these days I'll figure it out but until then my clay dams suck .

Yeah its a real craftsmanship the nice square clean edge at the end of the barrel bed stub.

Wonder if that blue tape of a specified thickness used to center the barrel in the channel is part of the magic.

or

Maybe a little clean up on a mill.

Last edited:
    20200401_125924.jpg

DIY fuckery complete.

20200401_140206.jpg

This stock was inletted for something certainly not the size of a Proof Sendero, about an hour with different size impact sockets and sandpaper netted me ample clearance.

20200401_140329.jpg

My no longer adjustable cheek piece actually came out pretty clean considering how jank it could have been .

Note to self , next time just call Chad @LongRifles Inc.

Find a socket that fits where you want the dam to start. Tape the socket into place with the open end facing the action.
    Build your dam against the other side.
    Nice clean edge.

• Wow
    Reactions: clcustom1911
    I have only bedded one rifle...twice. I used ProBed 2000 and would not do so again because I found the texture a right pain in the ass the work with. I‘ll be bedding this M70 again when its new stock arrives, but definitely inclined to use something that flows. If I were experienced enough to know how much to use and where to put it, different story. At least the rifle doesn’t seem to shoot any worse.

I've tried both the LRI release spray and regular old paste wax and honestly I believe the paste wax is better. After seeing the Gradous videos, I guess he does too.

Your bedding looks awesome though!

I just used the ProBed release agent, with no issues. I was worried, having only done this twice now, but parts coming apart turned out to be the least of my concerns.

In retrospect, I wonder if the kit that shipped to me was ”stale” for want of a better term. They included the fumed silica to thicken it, but that seems crazy to me. I mixed the compound and it was so viscous and sticky that it did not flow, at all, even when inverted. I could stand the mixing/spreading stick up in it and lift the container by the stick. Is this the consistency people want?

Yeah its a real craftsmanship the nice square clean edge at the end of the barrel bed stub.

Wonder if that blue tape of a specified thickness used to center the barrel in the channel is part of the magic.

or

Maybe a little clean up on a mill.

I think we all struggle with that one...doesn't seem to be a "clean" solution.
    I put blue tape ahead of the lug and the clay dam over that.
    In the time it would take to set up a stock on the mill, I'll clean up the edges with a steady hand on the Dremel and an assortment of carbide burrs.
    Are they as purty perfect as some around the edges? Prolly not... but I generally don't worry about shit that's not visible and has no effect on how the rifle shoots.

Reactions: pmclaine
    Whats the general consensus on Pro Bed vs Devcon or Marine Tex. Seen a few people claim that Marine Tex doesn't shrink, whereas Devcon and Pro Bed do.

Splitting BCH's....
    All of the above have near zero shrinkage, none enough to be of any consequence- as with many other epoxies.
    Too much minutiae...

Reactions: BlkZ06