• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 2 deer one arrow one shot?

so467

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2009
doylestown ohio
anyone done this before? was called today to help track while trailing blood came upon a dead doe continued on the blood and recovered 2nd deer small deer turns out the arrow went through the doe and struck the fawn.

Re: 2 deer one arrow one shot?

congrats that guy for breaking rule number 2 on weapon safety...(1 being always treat as loaded with a gun of course)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone done this before? was called today to help track while trailing blood came upon a dead doe continued on the blood and recovered 2nd deer small deer turns out the arrow went through the doe and struck the fawn. </div></div>

extra eats
whistle.gif

Large rule in any type of shooting. Know your target and what is beyond it...
B

I'm sure it was just an accident!!!! Yeah right

this was totally an accident he waited for a quarting to shot bcause of the fawn on the other side and the arrow exited dead center of the belly, went in above the front shoulder.

it must have been one of them "magic" arrows...was the hunters name L. H. Oswald by any chance

gonna eat it right? then who gives two shits. smart thing to do is keep your mouth shut about it and go on.

Youns be faigs ifn yourn peesed bout such sheet happens an I eat a fawn eny ole day.

Arrows do crazy things, both were recovered and delicious I am sure.

+1 on arrows doing crazy things........but knowing that arrows don't always go straight through the direction they went in, I would never take a shot with a deer on the other side of it!

2 ways to look at this:

1)it was an accident

2)BAD shot

end of subject

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on arrows doing crazy things........but knowing that arrows don't always go straight through the direction they went in, I would never take a shot with a deer on the other side of it!

2 ways to look at this:

1)it was an accident

2)BAD shot

end of subject </div></div>

On point there... It is difficult to critize the fellow without knowing his intentions. Having killed many deer with a bow while hunting on Level 3 MLD ranches I can attest to the fact that arrows don't always go where you think they will after they exit and accidents do happen. They can be prevented with good judgement but they do happen.

seems to me like it would be illegal, unless as stated earlier it was a two doe limit. I know if I shoot at a bull elk and two fall dead, game and fish would take my truck, gun, and a pile of money.

scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this was totally an accident he waited for a quarting to shot bcause of the fawn on the other side and the arrow exited dead center of the belly, went in above the front shoulder. </div></div>

I wouldn't have even taken the shot knowing that there was a fawn with the doe. But everyone has different morals I suppose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this was totally an accident he waited for a quarting to shot bcause of the fawn on the other side and the arrow exited dead center of the belly, went in above the front shoulder. </div></div>

I wouldn't have even taken the shot knowing that there was a fawn with the doe. But everyone has different morals I suppose.</div></div>

Why? because the fawn can't survive on her own. BS. By this late in the year the fawn is better equipped to live without momma than a lot of other animals in the woods.

In my neck of the woods, fawns still have spots and are still suckin on momma....so.....they're prolly gonna be coyote or bobcat bait....YMMV!!!!!!

George

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GeorgeS3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my neck of the woods, fawns still have spots and are still suckin on momma....so.....they're prolly gonna be coyote or bobcat bait....YMMV!!!!!!

George </div></div>

I guess it depends where you hunt. Here in Oklahoma the yearlings are over 50lbs and have long since lost the spots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this was totally an accident he waited for a quarting to shot bcause of the fawn on the other side and the arrow exited dead center of the belly, went in above the front shoulder. </div></div>

I wouldn't have even taken the shot knowing that there was a fawn with the doe. But everyone has different morals I suppose.</div></div>

Why? because the fawn can't survive on her own. BS. By this late in the year the fawn is better equipped to live without momma than a lot of other animals in the woods. </div></div>

It really depends on the age of the fawn. I have seen a number of fawns with spots in my area in the last 2 weeks that couldn't weigh more than 50 lbs. I higly doubt they would survive on their own. Regardless...I just don't shoot does when they are with their fawns under any circumstances. i really don't need the meat that badly. To each his own.

Shit ive tried to do that! Im happy for him that he got two with one shot,if the fawn was a doe,if it was a nub buck then shame on him because it could have been a world record some day.

In our camp thats a fantasy. we buy unlimited antlerless only tags. harvesting a mature doe and tender vitals with one arrrow, one shot, congrats!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GeorgeS3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my neck of the woods, fawns still have spots and are still suckin on momma....so.....they're prolly gonna be coyote or bobcat bait....YMMV!!!!!!

George </div></div>

Maybe still suckin on mama, but probably not. If all your fawns are, it indicates bigger herd problems than an accidental kill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shit ive tried to do that! </div></div>
Anyone who tries to hit two deer with one arrow probably needs to stay at home and watch the Outdoor Channel. Really don't need to be in the woods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shit ive tried to do that! </div></div>
Anyone who tries to hit two deer with one arrow probably needs to stay at home and watch the Outdoor Channel. Really don't need to be in the woods. </div></div>

+1

always know whats beyond the target...

Damn it's like that huh, maybe not a doe and a fawn too but doe - doe would be great! I hunt on a island with 4500 huntable acres and ten members on the whole place, we have the wildlife and fisheries come check the island out every year for a population ratio. They give us tags to harvest how ever many does we need to keep it equal. 1 guy may legally kill 10 does in a year by him self! Last year we needed to kill 110 does they said and we only got 95, so I guess this year my no huntin ass is gonna try to line up 3 does and try to get em all with one shot!

Not on a Deer but on a Cape Buffalo before. My father actually stuck a Buff in 2000 on film and you can plainly see that the arrow must have hit a rib on exit and flew on nearly a 45 Degree angle into the other Buff Behind and to the Right. As they both ran you can plainly see the arrow sticking out of the other Buff. Expensive Mistake to say the least but the 2nd one was a 44" Buff so its not like he had to pay it all for a Cow or Calf. So the moral of the story is??? 20k will get you a 48" and 44" Buff with a bow regardless if you intended to or not!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> so I guess this year my no huntin ass is gonna try to line up 3 does and try to get em all with one shot!</div></div>
Again, one who knowingly breaks the law (assuming you hunt in LA) shouldn't be in the woods, IMHO. If hunting in a state where multiple antlerless deer can be harvested daily, ethical issues should refrain one from attempting such a shot.

Well, I would take a fawn, no spots, any day. Much better, tender meat. Ummmmm.
I'm not much of a hunter, but my game camera showed three does, each a different size, and I want the two smallest. Can anyone recommend a bullet to go through all three?

In Illinois the insurance companies would give you an award if it were "politically correct". I carry 3 to 4 deer tags on me in archery season. Here in Illinois you can shoot as many does as you buy tags for, no limit. Big push by auto insurance lobbyists to reduce the deer population in Illinois. My Dad hit a deer 2 years ago got his car repaired and hit another deer 2 weeks later. They live on a farm. I can tell the elk hunting comments come from Colorado, the Colorado DNR take everything over the edge, in my opinion! One shot two kills, ok by me, but shooter should have been aware of what he did.
Kind of like lining up prairie dogs in Co.

I have no problem harvesting multiple does per day where legal. I have done it with a bow; however, I did use one arrow per target.

My point was that I don't believe anyone should purposely hit two deer with one arrow. Odds of two clean kills are highly unlikely and it is not fair to the game. That kind of attitude and lack of intelligence gives bowhunting/bowhunters a bad name.

Owww my god..... Yep I'm an ediot. I've got to go guys I'm going to Get my helment on and head but the wall some more.

You are crazy if you really think I'm gonna go out and actually sit there to try to line up three does and shoot through them all with a bow. My whole point in this is, it's no big deal! If he lucked up and cleanly killed the second deer then more power to the guy for doing so. If it's legal great, if it's not then I'm pretty sure the warden ain't gonna write him a ticket for that but they will take the deer from him. Sorry but y'all made a HUGE deal about nothin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shit ive tried to do that! </div></div>
You said it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 1 guy may legally kill 10 does in a year by him self! Last year we needed to kill 110 does they said and we only got 95, so I guess this year my no huntin ass is gonna try to line up 3 does and try to get em all with one shot!</div></div>
Actually, if you're in LA with those tags, one guy can more than likely legally kill 110 doe by himself on that tract and they wouldn't count against his yearly limit. You could conceivably pull off 36 of your planned shots if you disregard the daily bag limit.