• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20 MOA Needed?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I am putting together an AR15 (specs in a previous post), but it may be that my GG&G GS-1 cantilevered rail may hit the scope bell. I can't really find a rail with a shorter cantilevered section that I like, except some that are 20 MOA. But wouldn't these be of little use for shooting an AR15.223 to 200 yards (my typical max at my range)?

- Phil

Re: 20 MOA Needed?

Badger Ordnance model #249-25

Just got one today in the mail, a lot shorter than the GG&G plus it has 22MOA

At 100 and 200 yards, I will have to dial in a lot of vertical adjustment on the scope to negate the 22 MOA. I am not seeing the need for 20+ MOA scope rail for 100 and 200 yards, but if I am wrong, I would like to know.

- Phil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 100 and 200 yards, I will have to dial in a lot of vertical adjustment on the scope to negate the 22 MOA. I am not seeing the need for 20+ MOA scope rail for 100 and 200 yards, but if I am wrong, I would like to know.

- Phil </div></div>

Thought you mistype 1000 yards or maybe my eyes went bad...You dont need no cant rail for 200-300 yards. Just get higher rings.

btw, your scope has only 50 MOA total elevation which is 25 up and 25 down. the 20 MOA cant rail might not work too well to zero at 100 yards.

Look at Rock River. I think they have a scout rail. Not sure but it may be shorter than the GG&G. GG&G also has three different rails. The GS-1 is the biggest. They have a scout rail and a standard rail.

I checked out a pic of the Rock River, and measuring how many slots it has on the cantilevered section, and knowing those dimensions, it appears this unit has the same 3" of overhang as the GG&G GS-1. GG&G does make a shorter model...I just wish it integrated the charging handle area of the upper receiver as the GS-1 does. The shorter unit is made to handle BUIS, which I do not need.

- Phil