• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 20 moa NF base and I cant zero scope

10ringping

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2012
Henderson N.V
I searched the threads for a while but didn't see this exact issue. Ive got a new rem 700 in .308. I put a Night Force 20 MOA base on it. Valdada low rings and a Valdada IOR 2.5-10x42. I cant get it to zero on a bore sight without lowering my elevation turrret all the way down.Will I have to decline the angle of my aim to shoot at 100 yrds? Obviously I will be able to adjust out for longer distances, but Id like to have a little adjustment @ 100yrds.

Re: 20 moa NF base and I cant zero scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerfan9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It the base install the right way? the tall side should go to the back. </div></div>

This question comes up a lot- but you can't put the base on backwards *edit* on a R700*- the screw spacing is different front and back, among other things.

First, does the scope have a zero stop so it's stopping you from going any lower?

Second, dump the bore sighter and go to the range and shoot it on a large piece of paper at 25 yards. Get it to hit about 1" low from your point of aim and then go to 100 yards. You will be really close.

Reactions: ken226

Check to see if you need to bed your scope mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, does the scope have a zero stop so it's stopping you from going any lower?

Second, dump the bore sighter and go to the range and shoot it on a large piece of paper at 25 yards. Get it to hit about 1" low from your point of aim and then go to 100 yards. You will be really close. </div></div>

Can't tell you how many times I could have used this info in years past!
grin.gif

Like Rob stated above, Dump the bore site, shoot it to verify..

They are a reference, but are not final by any means.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, does the scope have a zero stop so it's stopping you from going any lower?

Second, dump the bore sighter and go to the range and shoot it on a large piece of paper at 25 yards. Get it to hit about 1" low from your point of aim and then go to 100 yards. You will be really close. </div></div>

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^ is the correct answer. Actual shooting at 25 yards after bore sighting is the way to go. My Leupold bore sighter consistently shows low and slightly to the right when the point of impact is dead on a 100 yards. As Rob01 said, have the bullet strike about 1" low at the 25 yd. line and you will be pretty close to a 100 yard zero. Well enough to be on a 8"X11" piece of paper. So many try to initially shoot at 100 yards and waste lots of ammo. Using the 25 yard zeroing, you can be zeroed for a 100 yard zero in 2-3 shots if you know what you're doing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Rob got it right (again). I worked part time for a year at a gun shop just to sight in rifles for customers. This method works better than any bore sighted. If you get a blank sheet at 25 move it in closer, I've seen bore sighted rifles not touch paper at 25 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wrigdon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put it on the paper at 25!!! </div></div>

1 inch low then walk it out to 100.

I'm not sure why anyone bothers with a boresighter with a bolt gun. Just stabilize it with some sandbags, remove the bolt and look through the barrel. Then line up your scope. Done.

Reactions: eastexsteve

If I remember correctly, that particular scope does not have its available mechanical elevation travel centered. In other words, when the reticle is optically centered the scope will have a little down travel available but a great deal more upward elevation travel available.

You can verify this by optically centering the reticle on a mirror and seeing how much travel you have each way. If this is the case, the 20 MOA base may simply be using up all your available downward elevation travel and you may be better off with a flat base if you can't get a 100 yd zero.

I had the same problem. Mounted a 5-15x40 on a 20 moa nightforce base. My top mildot was dead on at 300 yards (actual shooting). My zero with the scope completely bottomed out was at 600 yards. I am waiting on a sightron 8-32x56 and have a feeling with higher scope rings, bigger diameter bell, and more adjustments, I will be fine. Sounds to me like you need a zero moa base.

I searched the threads for a while but didn't see this exact issue. Ive got a new rem 700 in .308. I put a Night Force 20 MOA base on it. Valdada low rings and a Valdada IOR 2.5-10x42. I cant get it to zero on a bore sight without lowering my elevation turrret all the way down.Will I have to decline the angle of my aim to shoot at 100 yrds? Obviously I will be able to adjust out for longer distances, but Id like to have a little adjustment @ 100yrds.
Did you ever get an answer to your question? For me I shoot 300 win mag 178 gr match with 77 gr of reloader-22. My night force 5-25x56 on a 20 moa rail is 1.5 mils high @100YDS ... so yeah you might have to hold off because of the 20 moa rail...

Did you ever get an answer to your question? For me I shoot 300 win mag 178 gr match with 77 gr of reloader-22. My night force 5-25x56 on a 20 moa rail is 1.5 mils high @100YDS ... so yeah you might have to hold off because of the 20 moa rail...

Bro, this is a thread from 2012?

First of all, how did you find it, and why are you looking way back?

Also, people have zero'd at 100 yards with 40 moa bases so I doubt it's the base you have that is keeping you 1.5 mils high at 100 yards.

Also, people have zero'd at 100 yards with 40 moa bases so I doubt it's the base you have that is keeping you 1.5 mils high at 100 yards.
I can't figure out my problem. I can't zero at 100 yards with my setup. Remington 700 SS DM 300 win mag. Nightforce 5-25x56 F1 on badger 20 moa base. 178 gr Hornady match using 77 gr reloader -22 cci mag... With the zero stop all the way at the beginning the best I get is about 6" high of center target... got any ideas?

Oh and I just searched the forum to find the old thread..

I zero’d today with a 45 moa base
:)

I’ve read hundreds of old posts for information but never dig up the corpse.

Reactions: stello1001
I zero’d today with a 45 moa base
:)

I’ve read hundreds of old posts for information but never dig up the corpse.
Please give me your setup... what are you shooting? Scope, base, ammo, etc... to get zero'd at 100yrd

thx in advance

Well thx for answering such and old post... Do you have a solution to my problem??
I was just poking fun.

Are you 100% sure that you understand your zero stop. That would be the only thing holding you back.
Take off the turret cap and loosen the 4 zero stop screws. Spin it counterclockwise( opposite of the stop) about 1/2 turn and tighten the screws back up. Put on your turret cap and zero your scope at 100 yards like normal. Take off turret cap. Loosen the four screws and turn the zero stop clutch clockwise until it stops. Tighten screws and replace your cap at zero. Done. That would set your zero stop at dead zero. Do that first.

If you want more room under “0”, I can help you do that later. Don’t need to shoot to do that.

Reactions: seansmd
I was just poking fun.

Are you 100% sure that you understand your zero stop. That would be the only thing holding you back.
Take off the turret cap and loosen the 4 zero stop screws. Spin it counterclockwise( opposite of the stop) about 1/2 turn and tighten the screws back up. Put on your turret cap and zero your scope at 100 yards like normal. Take off turret cap. Loosen the four screws and turn the zero stop clutch clockwise until it stops. Tighten screws and replace your cap at zero. Done. That would set your zero stop at dead zero. Do that first.

If you want more room under “0”, I can help you do that later. Don’t need to shoot to do that.
I took it in fun...

This sounds like the answer... it seems the problem is between the keyboard and the chair :cool:

Some more reloading and another trip to the range and I'll let ya know..

Reactions: wade2big
I was just poking fun.

Thx again for your help... I was able to find zero with several different loads. I just need to pick one and stick with it.

Reactions: wade2big
i'm actually having the same problem on my setup, i'm running a .338 with a 110 MOA total scope and 50 MOA built in from the base and mount. i can't even hit paper at 100. sounds like i should try hitting at 25 yards first and see if that works, i've considered just moving the zero distance out a few hundred yrds, but not only is that a pain, but it's difficult to make a drop table when you don't have a real zero figure; inputting 0 or 1 yard just spits out nonsense or crashes the apps. if you're using a 45 MOA offset, you're the guy to talk to.

i'm actually having the same problem on my setup, i'm running a .338 with a 110 MOA total scope and 50 MOA built in from the base and mount. i can't even hit paper at 100. sounds like i should try hitting at 25 yards first and see if that works, i've considered just moving the zero distance out a few hundred yrds, but not only is that a pain, but it's difficult to make a drop table when you don't have a real zero figure; inputting 0 or 1 yard just spits out nonsense or crashes the apps. if you're using a 45 MOA offset, you're the guy to talk to.
If it's a bolt gun, take out the bolt. Put it on sandbags 25 yards from a paper target. Look down the bore of the gun and line it up with the paper target. Be careful not to move the gun, and look through the scope and see where the crosshairs are pointing.