• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20 worst cities for car theft...

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Eight of the top ten are in .......California.

The report also had a big of good news: The FBI statistics show a 7.2 percent decrease in auto theft nationwide over the previous year. “Improved anti-theft technology and law enforcement efforts have had a significant impact on thefts,” said NICB chief Joe Wehrle — although he pointed out that professional criminal rings and gangs still pose an ongoing challenge to law enforcement, as well as to car owners.

Professional thieves are particularly active in California, since cars stolen there can either be moved to Mexico for sale or shipped out to Asia in containers through the ports of Long Beach, Los Angeles and Oakland, says NICB spokesman Frank Scafidi. State and local budget troubles throughout California may also be causing cutbacks in police and prosecutors specializing in car theft, he added.

Car theft has by no means been banished from the Midwest and East Coast. The second half of the top 20 included Detroit, Myrtle Beach, S.C., and Macon, Ga. And not surprisingly, the metro areas where cars are least likely to be stolen tend to be small cities in relatively rural parts of their states. Car theft in the worst city in the U.S. — Fresno, Calif. — is 27 times as frequent as in State College, Pa. — the city with the lowest car theft rate.

Other small cities with low theft rates include Glenns Falls and Elmira, N.Y., Holland, Mich., Harrisonburg, W. Va., and Sheboygan, Wisc. To check the rate in your city, consult the full rankings at the NICB website.

Here’s a rundown of the 20 worst areas for car theft:
    Fresno, Calif.

Modesto, Calif.

Bakersfield-Delano, Calif.

Spokane, Wash.

Vallejo-Fairfield, Calif.

Sacramento, Calif. area

Stockton, Calif.

Visalia-Porterville, Calif.

San Francisco-Oakland, Calif. area

Yakima, Wash.

Laredo, Texas

Detroit, Mich. area

Seattle, Wash. area

Macon, Georgia

San Diego, Calif. area

Myrtle Beach, SC area

Las Vegas, Nev.

San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif.

Jackson, Miss.

Albuquerque, NM

But no matter where you live, you can take steps to protect your own car from theft. And don’t assume that because you have an older car, no one wants to steal it. The list of most-stolen cars includes many older, mid-priced models.

Experts advise these precautions:

Discourage thieves: Many car boosters — whether professional or amateur — are looking for the easiest target. So they pass by vehicles that seem to defeat a quick grab. For around $50, you can buy The Club or other steering wheel lock; for about $80, you can get a “tire claw” lock that will keep one wheel from moving. Such locks add to the difficulty and time it takes to steal your car or truck

Sound the alarm: For $200 to $300, an auto electronics shop can install an alarm that will go off if the door is opened without a key. Be sure to get a decal that announces the alarm. The ear-assaulting alarm noise won’t stop all car thieves — but, like The Club, it might encourage them to seek another target.

Kill the engine: Cars, trucks and SUVs from recent years have a built-in system that prevents the vehicle from starting unless the engine computer gets a signal from the precisely matched key. To approximate this in an older car, you can get professional installation of a so-called kill switch. This disrupts the circuitry of the engine unless the switch is turned on. The installer will hide the switch somewhere reachable from the driver’s seat but where thieves cannot quickly find it.

Re: 20 worst cities for car theft...

Looks to be high population density. Other than San Diego. Here the car thefts are mostly SUV's, and 4X4 pickups that make their way down to Mexico.

Also notice that first 9 are CA LOL My insurance when I was out there on an expedition when I was younger went from $800 to $2100 from OH to CA. Another reason I feel for you people in CA join the exodus out of that state ! lol

YES!! CA WINS AGAIN!!!!!!

Everyone cusses Ca, but we ALWAYS win when it comes to highest whatever crime rate!!!!

Take that you suckers!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">YES!! CA WINS AGAIN!!!!!!

Everyone cusses Ca, but we ALWAYS win when it comes to highest whatever crime rate!!!!

Take that you suckers!!</div></div>
    That is like Gold, Silver, and Bronze!!! We sweeped um'

Car insurance for me wasn't that bad until I got married. My Porsche only cost me $1200 a year. When I got married I traded it in on a Subaru Outback wagon and my insurance went up to $3500 a year. Seems the wife like to speed and ran a few red light cameras on her way to work. The insurance in Texas is less than CA for sure. I pay less than $900 a year for full coverage on her Audi Q7 TDi.

Wow we have fallen. #17 now and im paying more than ever before for insurance with a clean record. F'n injury lawyers.

$1400 every 6 mo for a gt Mustang and a 2wd Silverado... the mustang is cheaper than the truck believe it or not.

At least we have the worst schools in the nation! Were #1 at something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D. Miller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow we have fallen. #17 now and im paying more than ever before for insurance with a clean record. F'n injury lawyers.

$1400 every 6 mo for a gt Mustang and a 2wd Silverado... the mustang is cheaper than the truck believe it or not.

At least we have the worst schools in the nation! Were #1 at something. </div></div>

Thats really fuckesd up. Here in Virginia I pay about $775.00 per year for two vehicles (Im the only driver of either, no violations in 4 years or so.). That includes full coverage on the car and just liability and comp on the truck.

Yea Phoenix isn't cheap for insurance but not as bad as CA. I am surprised PHX isn't on the list somewhere. Many 4x4's disappear from here to be found in pieces in the desert months/years later when the get stuck somewhere and are abandon.

Pretty much every decent sized town in Cal on 99 from Sac to Bakersfield.

Vietnamese, Russian and Mexican organised crime syndicates have that whole corridor locked down. Cars are stolen the most there as they are easiest to cash on there. State has no clue how to stop it

My wifes old boss had the company vehicle stole from in front of his house, by the russian mob in Sacramento.

Shit I'm just ~20 miles north of Spokane and heard this morning about Spokane being #4...big part of the problem is crack heads. However, Washington's democrapic governor just did away with an auto theft unit for the state patrol as a budget cut(as CA goes, WA state follows), so it will only get worse. A lot of gang activity in Yakima...probaby why they're so high as well. Huge hispanic population there due to agriculture.

Girlfriend a the time got carjacked when we lived in Albuquerque. Surfaced 3 days later with a dead Mexican in the back. Turns out he OD'd on heroine and his buddies used the car to dump his body. I also had my cars broken into seven times and three guns pulled on me living there, fuck Albuquerque!

Heck Oakland only made 9th. Must be too busy shooting folks because this place has gone from bad to real bad in last two years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lot's of Kalifornia cities listed there. What a fucked up state.</div></div>

HA HA HA! My thoughts exactly. I'm quite surprised that Houston or Dallas/Ft. Worth isn't listed on there.

I'm really surprised that Myrtle Beach, SC is on there...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eight of the top ten are in .......California.</div></div>

And the other two are both Washington... At least both of them are in EA Wa.

They need to just list the whole fawkn state. California just blows

This is good news. My old mini van is good and safe here in Colorado. LOL

Im shocked that Tysons corner,va didnt make the list. Its about 3 hours from where I live. But they have cars stolen all the time.