• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

2000yrd SA round?

While I already acknowledged in my post that the .260 falls well short of being a 2000yd cartridge, even at 4800ft, it would be a disservice to assume I live on a mountain top. I live, in fact, along the edge (Pearce, AZ) of a miles-across dry lake (Wilcox Dry Lake and Bombing Range), surrounded by a couple of ranges of mountains (the Chiracuhuas and the Dragoons, they call these ranges 'Sky Islands' here in Arizona) that show a snow line above 7000ft in what passes for Winter down here near the border. I just recently got an invite to shoot on 2000 acres within a half hour of my home. They say it's really flat there.

Maybe I'll give it a try with the .30-'06 and 178 ELD-X's; and yes, I recognize that it's a Long Action cartridge. Or maybe a .280.

I'm most definitely not one of those beyond K yd first hit shooters. What I am is an over-the-hill Elder Fart with a fun gleam in his eye, and a wonderful place to live that just might lend itself to some shooting at really healthy distances. Just for fun.

Greg

Last edited:
I would have thought the 121grain flatline traveling 3200fps from a creedmoor would fit the bill but I havnt tried it. My range only goes out to 1500 yards from our usual shooting position but I could step back if I really felt like testing the limits.

I live and shoot at 4600 fasl (western colorado) @ ranges out to 2k yards (with access to 2miles) using 6.5cm, 308win, 7rm and 338lm. At 2k yards... using any non-magnum short action cartridge, with perfect dead calm environmentals and perfect 0fps ES ammo tuned for your barrel and perfect dope... a prairie dog fart at trans-subsonic range will be enough to throw your round off a 4x5' target. Id recommend a more practical range that you can practice consistent hits @. A 280ai is sweet but I believe the 6.5's do better with with the non-mag SA cartridge case capacities and a wider high BC bullet selection available for it. As you mentioned, if you don't mind opening up your bolt face, short magnum case capacity would help work those .600+ high BC bullets. A buddy of mine has a 260rem and does very well with it... but I wouldn't say it's consistent @ 2k yds, consistent to me at that range is 33%(worth practicing/doing). I think there's a bright future for the 7mm's in ELR shooting, the bullet manufacturers have been busy tapping into the 6.5's potential... but they'll get back to the 7mm at some point. Id like to hear more about bergers .755 BC 195gr EOL bullet... i haven't even run #'s on it yet.

Last edited:
Yea...wasnt quite sure i could hit consistently with any sa standard cartridges but thought id ask...there are as many cartridges as there are opinions.

seems like ill just add a WTO switch lug to my Remington and get a magnum bolt and switch it around when i go. It won't be often enough to justify a new full build but id like to play when i have the chance.

i have hit one mile with a 260..... you can not have any wind unless its a 20mph tail wind. Secondly it takes me 20-30 rounds to do this. Its not worth it. Like everyone else has stated, get closer.

I'm spoiled. 6000' elevation and tipped 7mm 180 Hybrids are still 1300fps at 2k. It's hard on brass but feeds from a 10rnd magazine. 2 weeks ago at 1575yds using a lesser cartridge and tipped 175 sierra hpbts I got 3 hits in a row of 5 shots on a 10.5" plate just effin' around. Scope's got travel to 2200yds without hold-over on a 45 MOA base.

You guys naysaying on long range with li'l SA cartridges have no sense of fun. I can shoot 3 times as much 7mm for the price of a .338. It doesn't have to be "competitive" to an entertaining/educational exercise.