• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2011 Steel Safari Match Announcement

Re: 2011 Steel Safari Match Annuncement

Pounding some rounds during the LRSM on Friday

Looking for targets

Nice AW

I heard Atlas bipods rock?

Running to the second position

There are targets down there somewhere

Ancillary to the match, the facilities in Logan, NM were great as well.

Budget Inn Express is quite nice.

The Annex has good cold beer (except on Sunday's) including Shiner Bock on tap and probably the best onion rings I've ever had. Also good chopped beef brisket (with spicy BBQ sauce), burgers (especially w/green chiles) and an awesome green chile smothered chicken fried steak.

The Yucca motel seemed pretty nice, with covered outdoor seating to relax at the end of the day.

Lots and lots of cans this year. The 30P/30P-1 was the post popular can in attendance

2nd place shooter Shane ranging targets on the north course

Who thought of this position??

</a>

D463_9130_img.jpg

Another top shelf match put on by Zak and his crew. All of the stages and target shapes/sizes/presentations were well thought out and challenging. The stages were just different enough from last year to not make anything a gimme. Some stages were very different which was a huge bonus. Lots more shooting from sticks and awkward/ugly positions was pretty cool. I managed to get a little payback on stage 6 south which made my match.

The match ran as smooth as can be. I did not hear one single whine about anything the whole weekend...

The prize table was very impressive as well. Many thanks to the match sponsors for going above and beyond to support the shooting sports.

My new-ish AX in 6CM worked perfect and I am finally getting a good feel for the stock. Now if only I could tighten the loose nut behind the scope.

See you all again next year.

Great match. Harder than in years past, with better scores. 105/104 is infuckinghuman. Nice work Ray. Shane's prolly still cursing that 2" plate on stage 10. Fabulous prize table!

GREAT job Zak, Chuck, Mike, Michael, John, Jimmy, Maggie, Julie, Wheelers, and sponsors. You all did a ton of hard work and it was obvious. No hitches and no complaints by anyone. Thank you.

Quick little video

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4H9d8-eMb5k"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4H9d8-eMb5k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ancillary to the match, the facilities in Logan, NM were great as well.

Budget Inn Express is quite nice.

The Annex has good cold beer (except on Sunday's) including Shiner Bock on tap and probably the best onion rings I've ever had. Also good chopped beef brisket (with spicy BBQ sauce), burgers (especially w/green chiles) and an awesome green chile smothered chicken fried steak.

The Yucca motel seemed pretty nice, with covered outdoor seating to relax at the end of the day. </div></div>
Looking forward to the hotel even before the day's shooting is done:

Awesome match. Thanks to the whole crew for all the work that goes into making such a killer event. Prize table was awesome too.

I was cursing some of the shoot positions. I need more practice off my sticks it appears.

this was really a great match. Very different terrain and format from what I'm used to so that made it interesting as well. The hosts and match staff were awesome and very hospitable.

Some of the things I thought would be challenging weren't too bad (like the wind, which I think probably only cost me 5-6 points). Others, like trying to keep dirt/dust out of my optics (especially the binos and LRF, which I have a habit of laying on the grass), and magazines seemed impossible.

I'm definitely going to try to make it next year.

I really enjoyed myself. It was probably one of the best shooting experiences I've had. I hope to shoot with you folks again.

Looks like you all had fun, sorry I missed out.

I liked seeing Ken, Hoser, RJ and Mike using our Scope Levers

D463_8821_img.jpg

During the train-up, I did caution one shooter that he was wasting over a minute per stage adjusting his magnification up and down, and then getting settled in (10-15 seconds x 6 targets = a big portion of the allotted time). (He was using one of the adjusters.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">During the train-up, I did caution one shooter that he was wasting over a minute per stage adjusting his magnification up and down, and then getting settled in (10-15 seconds x 6 targets = a big portion of the allotted time). (He was using one of the adjusters.)</div></div>

Zak- do you recommend just sticking with a lower power to save time? I am always looking for pointers from more experienced shooters and would love your feedback.

Re: 2011 Steel Safari Match Announcement

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zak- do you recommend just sticking with a lower power to save time? I am always looking for pointers from more experienced shooters and would love your feedback.</div></div>
Pick a power in the 10-16x range per your preference and leave it there. This does not apply to special situations like movers or close-range snap shooting. Of course, if you've lost the target and can't see it without optics, and don't have time to go back to binos/LRF to relocate it, turn the power down real quick.

The critical skill here is the ability to see a target with your eyes (or if it's not visible to the naked eye, spot a landmark very near to it), get into position, point the rifle at the target, and as soon as you get on the gun, the target has already appeared in the scope's field of view. Then there is no reason to change the magnification at all. When you're on the gun and adjusting magnification, it's not just that time wasted, but the time to get your hand back into its respective position (the "re-settling time").

All stuff we cover in the clinics/classes.
cool.gif

That said, if you do have to switch magnification, I can see how the lever is faster.

My scope was left on 13 power for the whole match. USO SN3 3.2-17x with CMG reticle....BAD ASS

I am the same as Raydog, except he shoots a whole hell of a lot better than I do! I don't move my power range very much unless I need a wider field of view. I find myself in the 11-15 power range typically.

For this match I tend to go low on power to increase the field of view.

Some matches where the targets are smaller I go up in power.

Scope levers/cat tails are nice if you need to bump up or down in a hurry. When the levers get too big they can snag on things and you can get too much leverage on a scope and do damage. Most of my scopes have them. I think they are a cant hurt might help kind of thing.

What a cool match. Thanks to all who spent so much time and effort in putting the 2011 Steel Safari together. It is a special place and always a whole bunch of special people.

What a great match, undoubtedly the best I have ever been to. What a great job by Zak, crew, and the Blue Steel Ranch for putting this on for us, thanks for all of the hard work and effort. I am now practicing for next year.

Thanks to all the steel safari crew for a great match. This was without a doubt the toughest match ive ever experienced. I am anxious for next year and will be ready for the wind. Thanks to Stan and Cody for the Ro work. Looking forward to shooting there again. ya ll be safe.

I've shot a lot of "big matches" over the years, granted more on the IPSC/USPSA side than LR rifle. This was both one of the toughest challenge matches I have ever shot and the most enjoyable. The enjoyable side comes from those of you who put it on. Many thanks to Dave & Lorraine and Zak, Mike, Michael, Jimmy, Chuck, Maggie, Julie, and even JohnS (that's a tough one for me...).
Sure, I have alot to learn starting with the tips from Ray, Hoser, and Zak on the zoom topic. It's funny that although I was somewhat familar with the terrain, there's no substitute for actually shooting the match. More true with this match than any other.

Great stuff. Thanks to all the sponsors as well -- it is very much appreciated and hopefully repaid by all of us in incremental revenue and references.