• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 2012 Texas hunt video

Jered Joplin

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I got together with a few friends down in TX for a little R&R. Thought you guys might enjoy the video. Here are the results:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OcagWtrIts8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OcagWtrIts8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: 2012 Texas hunt video

Amazing

What went flying on the headshot part of the skull and ear?

We need still photos

Looks like a good time. What are you shooting that is pushing the 162amax at 3500 fps?

Awesome Jered, looks like tons of fun!

What kind of handgun was that and how far of a shot?

Jake

All the kills were fantastic.

What did you head shoot the doe that was decapitated with?

How many were killed with a 284?

Great Job. Great video!!!!

That is awesome. The ear was a projectile....

The buzzard on the carcass and more deer come out. Most people do not understand the deer density in Texas, I took it for granted until I hunted else where. Then I understood.

The cartridge is a 7XR. Jim McClure came up with the specific dimensions but its basically a 338 Norma necked down to 7mm. There are some shoulder changes as well. I've pushed them to almost 3600 but 3 have blown apart at 3500 so I left them there.

The pistol is a 44 from the S&W performance center....... and a little work after that. The shot was 77 yards.

Still no photos. I'm at dinner with my pregnant wife and I'm getting the hormonal stare currently :)

I have a good kill shot or two with the 284 that I forgot to even put in there.
I was pretty busy working on other stuff and spaced it.

Thumbs up, another great APA video!

IMG_0954copy_zps37082e1f.jpg

IMG_0941copy_zpsc918f71b.jpg

IMG_0935copy_zps8f68b6e1.jpg

IMG_0923_zps9c23bc85.jpg

All but the head shot are 284 kills.

You can see on the head shot where the bullet entered on the left eyebrow.

Jared,

I noticed you use the Swaro with the BDC turrets. How does the scope track? Been thinking of getting a Z5, just for hunting, but I have heard mixed reviews on the tracking. I'm sure the glass is great.

Private ranch I assume?

I live in AZ, and I am seriously considering taking my 10 year old daughter to TX on a whitetail hunt this fall.

If someone could point me in the right direction with some good referrences on ranches for a white tail hunt, I would appreciate it. I am not looking for a monster 200" whitetail, just some nice bucks. I am not a self-made millionaire, and work my butt off for my money. But I love spending time in the field with my kids, so I don't expect to hunt for free of course. Couple or four grand is doable.

Any info would be appreciated, as this video looked like a total blast....literally.

Great Pictures, love the stock on that hunting rifle, think ive seen one similar somewhere.

Any idea how much that big buck weighed? Thats a big bodied buck to me.

lance,

I hunted in the Hill Country a while back, over near Sonora, Texas. My buddy had a lease, we saw lots of bucks. We were allowed to kill a trophy, cull and 2 does.

Typical trophies are 110 to 130inch bucks, for the money, less than $2k at the time it was a great hunt.

Once you get down in South Texas from most of the places I've looked at you start to pay by the inch, I would rather pay a flat rate and shoot the biggest buck I see on the hunt, from my little expereince the hill country gives you this, probably not going to shoot as big of a buck, but should have a great expereince with your son, to me that is more important. Plus I doubt you want his first buck to be a monster.

Would you be driving? Alabama also has some great places, typically a few hunderd bucks a day, hunt late in the year. Lots of deer, again not giants but good southern deer.

Here are the bucks we killed.

txbuck.jpg

The 7xr that Jared used to push the 162 AMAX's to 3500 fps is a Wildcat that I came up with a couple years ago. I took the 300 NM brass necked it down to 7mm. Gave it a long neck, 35 degree shoulder with a little less body taper. I have used 180 JLK's @ 3163 fps avg. for a 20 shot string. Will it push them faster? Yes, but with the accuracy I get @ 3163 I didn't bother trying anything else. Vit 24N41 worked quite well, but they discontinued it. RL50 seems to work a little bit better. I am waiting for Berger new 195 to hit. I think that the 7xr & the new Berger will make a nice pair.
Jared has shot some pretty incredible groups with this cartridge at a mile. Not only is the boy fun to watch but he can shoot too.
I also made a long neck version in .30 & .338 (300xr & 338xr)
Semper Fi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great Pictures, love the stock on that hunting rifle, think ive seen one similar somewhere.

Any idea how much that big buck weighed? Thats a big bodied buck to me.

lance,

I hunted in the Hill Country a while back, over near Sonora, Texas. My buddy had a lease, we saw lots of bucks. We were allowed to kill a trophy, cull and 2 does.

Typical trophies are 110 to 130inch bucks, for the money, less than $2k at the time it was a great hunt.

Once you get down in South Texas from most of the places I've looked at you start to pay by the inch, I would rather pay a flat rate and shoot the biggest buck I see on the hunt, from my little expereince the hill country gives you this, probably not going to shoot as big of a buck, but should have a great expereince with your son, to me that is more important. Plus I doubt you want his first buck to be a monster.

Would you be driving? Alabama also has some great places, typically a few hunderd bucks a day, hunt late in the year. Lots of deer, again not giants but good southern deer.

Here are the bucks we killed.

txbuck.jpg
</div></div>

My 10 year old daughter and I would be driving to TX for the hunt. She has taken predators, but this will be her first big game hunt. She is putting in for AZ elk, deer and antelope this year, and is scheduled to take the AZ hunters education class this spring. She is a great shot, so I would have to problems letting her shoot out to 300 yds, maybe further with a little more practice. The range masters at a local shooting range all know her by name, and love to see her shooting out there.

She will be shooting a .250 Ack Imp which has taken deer for my older daughter out past 300yds.

Those bucks are both beautiful, and we would both be happy and proud to get bucks like that. And extra freezer meat is always welcome. My 2012 Oct. deer is almost gone. If you could suggest some ranches to look at, that would be greatly appreciated.

#s and some big massive deer are found in texas depending on where you hunt.
smile.gif

Nice !!
I love South Texas hunting..
Use a truck with a feeder on it and drive down a sendero spreading corn
Climb up into a tower blind with a view and watch for movement in the mesquite scrub...

Stuff comes out into the senderos and wham!

I did this on Thursday at our lease minus the tower blind
Got on a rise in the middle of a thousand yard road..
Hogs and deer came out all day long.

God bless Texas!!

Nice shooting !
Are you going to be at SHOT?