• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2013 SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

Just came across an AAR on the event from one of the competitors. Article can be found here: 2013 Competition Dynamics 24 Hour Sniper Adventure Challenge « Vuurwapen Blog

What follows is a very long article. If you read the whole thing, I applaud your dedication. If you’re pressed for time, just read the bold section titles; you’ll get the drift.
Note: I attempted to discuss some of my concerns with CD a staff member at the event and did not receive a meaningful response. They are welcome to comment here.

Over July 4th weekend, my friend Paul and I competed in the 2013 Competition Dynamics 24 Hour Sniper Adventure Challenge. Last year we gave it our all and placed third; this year we also gave it our all but had to drop out early due to medical issues (partial knee dislocation) on my part. Because we were doing well up until that point – and because of what many see as scoring irregularities – this year we placed fourth. I’m auctioning off my main prize for charity.
I was rather unhappy with the way the event was organized and run this year. I stated as much on Facebook even before the results came out. It’s been a week since the event, during which time I gave myself time to think about everything in detail and solicit the opinions of friends and fellow competitors. What follows are my words alone, but many of the same opinions were voiced by others at the time of the event.
For those who are unfamiliar with the event, it’s a race during which “two-man teams will be required to navigate at least 30 miles on foot to complete the course. Along the way, there will be a series of tasks to accomplish to gain additional points. These tasks may include: shooting problems with long-range rifle, carbine, and pistols; problem-solving; physical challenges; fieldcraft; communication; target recognition; memory; and other tasks.”

Also “climbing over small obstacles,” unless you’re short like Jim Staley, in which case the obstacles are larger.
Naturally, it’s the sort of event that attracts totally awesome competitors, and I met some truly great guys (and one gal) who define what it is to be tough and resilient under harsh conditions. As with last year, I stand in awe of the folks who placed higher than we did – they are amazing individuals. That said, anyone who read what last year’s event entailed and decided to show up this year deserves respect.
I feel that I should preface this article by saying that I have a lot of respect for Zak Smith of Competition Dynamics, not only from an intellectual standpoint, but also from a personal one. I appreciated his lending us a CD-owned SPOT tracker after ours failed to connect just prior to the event. My surprise at the way this event was conducted was only heightened by my previous (very positive) experience with CD.
Problem #1 – The Event Location Sucked And So Did The Lodging
While there were a number of serious issues with the event, many sprang from one root cause – Felix Canyon Ranch, where the event was held, was utterly unsuitable for the task. Theoretically, an adventure race which takes place in harsh terrain could be held anywhere harsh terrain may be found. In reality, there are a number of considerations which should dictate the elimination of certain venues. These include access to the area from major metropolitan centers, layout of the area from a medical team access standpoint, and the availability of quality on-site lodging.
Felix Canyon Ranch was approximately 90 minutes away from the nearest town of any decent size, Roswell. It was several hours from any airport to which a commercial flight could be found, limiting access to the event for many previous competitors. It was also several hours from the nearest medical center in Artesia. None of these alone should have completely eliminated this location from consideration, but the lodging (or lack thereof) should have been the nail in the coffin.
There were several small buildings with four rooms, each containing two wooden bunk beds and a small bathroom. These rooms weren’t too bad, but there were not enough of them to hold everyone competing in and/or watching the event. Enter the stables.

Competitor lodging for the 2013 SAC
No, really, the stables. The ranch owners had hastily converted a former horse stable into a makeshift bunkhouse with the addition of rickety metal bunk beds and cheap showers/toilets. This was apparently done for a Canadian military unit which had used the ranch for training at some point in the past, and the ranch owners and Competition Dynamics folks apparently felt it was suitable for human habitation.
My teammate and I spent the first night – the one previous to the event – in the stables along with thirty or forty other lucky individuals. Of the approximately ten showers that had been installed, half did not have shower curtains, and only two actually worked. Males and females (including the underage sister of one competitor) were assigned to this lodging without any thought of propriety. Dozens of small beetles and flying ants crawled all over my body while I slept, and my stablemates didn’t have any better luck. I had a top bunk; lodging was so overcrowded that some guys had to sleep on mattresses on the floor. According to those on the other side of the stable, loose roof or siding panels blew in the wind and banged on the structure all night.

More shower curtains arrived mid-race. Hooray.

To put it bluntly, the housing was unacceptable by even military standards. I have spent plenty of time sleeping in an open squad bay and did not get out of the military so that I could pay my hard-earned money to do it all over again. Yes, we had to pay for this wonderful housing – $80 per night for competitors, and $100 per night for spectators. For a team of two, that was $320 for two nights. We were “strongly urged” to stay on site due to the remote location of the ranch – and no doubt due to the fact that someone was making money hand over fist by bending participants, spectators, and sponsors over and violating their wallets in a most unkind manner.
It is literally cheaper for two people to stay (mid-week) at the Venetian in Las Vegas than it was to sleep on the floor during the Sniper Adventure Challenge. Needless to say, the Competition Dynamics staff and family members did not sleep in the stables. Nor did the “lodging” page on the ranch website accurately reflect these conditions.
Problem #2 – Shooting Was Irrelevant Which Is Ironic Because It’s Called The Sniper Adventure Challenge
In last year’s Sniper Adventure Challenge, shooting played a minor role in overall scores – for the top few teams (including ours), shooting scores were approximately 5% of overall scores. While I fully understood that Competition Dynamics puts on other shooting matches which have a major focus on shooting and a minor focus on “a physical element,” shooting was such a minor part of last year’s event that it had almost no effect on overall scores. Finding and reaching two out of fourteen mandatory land navigation checkpoints added more to almost every team’s score than every shot they took during the match.

Paul spent a lot of time getting his rifle shooting ready this year; it paid off with hits on the rifle stage, which only a minority of teams can claim. Luckily, I bet on the fact that land nav would be a big portion of the event again, and pushed to get as many bonus checkpoints as we could before we had to drop out of the race.
As it was the first year of the event, I figured that I would hold my criticism and let the match organizers fix what seemed to be an obvious problem – that something called the Sniper Adventure Challenge could be won by a team that brought a large stick instead of a rifle – on their own instead of telling them what I thought. I figured that shooting would still be a minor part of the event, albeit a less minor one, so while we did focus on shooting, we also worked on land nav and physical fitness.
But that didn’t change. In fact, some teams didn’t even get to shoot their rifles this year. Of those that did, many didn’t make any hits.
Part of the problem was the layout of the course, which I should address next.
Problem #3 – The Course Layout Was Dumb, Which Competition Dynamics Would Have Known If They Had Bothered To Run The Course
Okay, that was a really long title, but it’s pretty accurate.
Last year’s event was a tough course. This year’s event was a stupid course. What’s the difference?
Well, in both events, competitors were given coordinates for mandatory and bonus land navigation checkpoints. Mandatory checkpoints had to be taken in order, from 1 to 14 last year and 1 to 18 this year. Bonus checkpoints could be taken in any order.
However, last year’s land navigation course (which still managed to cause perhaps dozens of teams to get lost during the night) involved the use of ten meter grid coordinates – or coordinates enabling a person to narrow down their destination to a ten meter by ten meter box. This year, hundred meter grid coordinates were used. In addition, checkpoints themselves went from 3-4 foot tall 2x4s marked with reflective tape (last year) to 1-2 foot tall 2x2s with essentially no markings whatsoever (this year).
So instead of plotting an exact line from one hundred-square-meter point to another, finding a checkpoint, and moving on, teams navigated from one ten-thousand-square-meter area to another ten-thousand-square-meter area, upon which time they engaged in a scavenger hunt for the checkpoint stake. As the entire ranch was covered in small agaves, protruding from which was a straight “branch” approximately one to two feet tall…well, like I said, it was a scavenger hunt. Land navigation instructors/experts which I and others consulted said it was “unbelievable” for CD to have used hundred-meter grids for this purpose. It is likely that they simply marked each coordinate with their GPS units, which may have only offered these shorter grid coordinates, and called it good. I don’t know, nor do I care. The results mattered, and the results sucked.
I should note that Paul and I (mostly Paul) located 5 bonus checkpoints, tying two other teams for the second-most bonus checkpoints. Side note: last year bonus checkpoints were the decisive factor in determining how well a team placed; this year each bonus checkpoint was worth nearly twice as much as last year. It should go without saying that the team which collected the most bonus checkpoints this year (13, or 8 more than we found) won the race.

Paul and I practiced land nav using hard-to-find stakes. That came in handy during the event, although we used ten-meter grids for practice.
But that’s not all!
Last year, there were, as I said, fourteen mandatory checkpoints. All but one of these checkpoints involved a challenge or shooting stage, and the one that didn’t was along the way to another checkpoint, so it really didn’t cause problems. But what I’m getting at is that last year’s event was fun. You knew that there was a point to walking through the night – that when you reached your destination, you would be doing something to test yourself and to try to best the competition.
This year, there were seven unmanned/”no challenge” checkpoints out of 18 total. Ten, if you consider the unreasonable “drop dead” times. What do I mean by that?
Teams were told that they had to make it to checkpoint 7 by midnight, checkpoint 8 by 0200, and checkpoint 11 by dawn in order to participate in the challenge, otherwise they could collect the land nav points but not the challenge points. As it turns out, they had screwed up the written drop dead time for checkpoint 7, which closed at 0200. Seven teams out of twenty-five (including ours) made it to checkpoint 7 and completed the challenge before 0200. Four teams (not including ours) made it to checkpoint 8 before 0200. Checkpoint 11? Wait for it…wait for it…exactly zero teams made it to checkpoint 11 before dawn.
Why did teams need to reach checkpoint 11 before dawn? Because it was a stage (reportedly) involving shooting and driving using night vision optics. Who provided the night vision optics? MOD Armory. Did this company pay to sponsor the stage? Yes. Did they therefore pay to sit in the desert all night, waiting to demo products to people who would never show up? Yes. They might as well have gone to Roswell and demoed NVGs to people at the UFO convention as “alien detection goggles.” MOD Armory would have received far more return on their investment.
There were teams which were physical fitness and land navigation studs – the first and second place teams, for example – they did not manage to reach checkpoint 11 in time. There were teams composed of studs who skipped several mandatory checkpoints, saving themselves many miles of travel – even they didn’t manage to reach checkpoint 11 on time!
It was absolutely ludicrous for Competition Dynamics to have set the stage locations and drop dead times where and when they did. Had they tested the course themselves, allowing for slow and fast teams to reach sponsored checkpoints during appropriate times, providing coordinates which are commensurate with on-foot navigation to very specific points, etc – they would have had a much better event. Am I saying that everyone should be able to finish? Absolutely not. But how did they get it so right last year (20% of teams finished the whole course), and screw it up so bad this year?
But it wasn’t over yet…
Problem #4 – TOMCARs Suck And So Did The Event Layout But I Already Mentioned That
Last year, vehicle support was provided by Armor Works. They brought modified Polaris Razors, which functioned.

Event support vehicle during last year’s event
This year, vehicle support was provided by TOMCAR. They brought TOMCARs, which did not function.
Rather, they apparently functioned when they felt like it. This reportedly caused issues with the planned nighttime stage (not that it mattered, since no one made it there on time anyway) and also with reaching teams in need of assistance.
Many teams were in need of medical assistance or evacuation within eight hours of the start of the race. Due to the layout of the course, many areas were essentially unreachable by vehicle within a reasonable period of time, and several teams in need of serious and immediate assistance had to “self-evacuate” for several miles before they could reach help. I keep using the phrase “last year,” but here goes – last year we were told that the Razors could bring a medical team to any point on the course within 30 to 45 minutes. This year, teams literally waited for hours, even after calling for non-life threatening assistance via SPOT tracker. We had CD-issued radios, but they were essentially useless over most of the course.
This was in part due to the span of the course, which was spread out over a much larger area than necessary. It would have been possible to condense the overall area of the course, reducing medical access times and improving radio reception, without compromising the “30-40 mile” length.
And yet Competition Dynamics thanked TOMCAR on Facebook. Not in a satirical yet truthful way, such as, “Thanks for taking a dump when we needed you,” either.
Problem #5 – Efforts To Fix Problems With Last Year’s Scoring Only Made Things Worse, And Oh By The Way, The Course Layout Was Dumb
The one thing most people seemed to complain about last year (other than shooting being irrelevant) was that several teams which skipped mandatory checkpoints still managed to score higher than teams which completed the entire course.
In addition to the concept of skipping a “mandatory” checkpoint and still “finishing” a race being bothersome, teams which cut a few mandatory checkpoints off their route saved themselves from quite literally hiking to the top of a mountain. Did this make it easier for them to shoot, having rested at night instead of hiking, shooting, crossing rope bridges, etc? I’d say so, and so did many other people.
So this year, Competition Dynamics instituted a 200 point penalty for each skipped checkpoint. Keep in mind that reaching a mandatory checkpoint was worth 100 points, so if a team hit 10 mandatory checkpoints and skipped the other 8, they would “finish” the race with -600 points.
However, teams which hit every checkpoint but did not finish the entire course – either due to not crossing the finish line before the event end time or because they quit or left the race due to medical reasons – did not receive penalties for not crossing the finish line or not “finishing” the race. This upset teams which “crossed the finish line” in a symbolic manner by not actually completing the entire course, because they placed behind teams which dropped out of the race towards the beginning.
In Competition Dynamics’ defense, this was not a “choose your own adventure” event. Penalties for skipping mandatory checkpoints were clearly stated in the event briefing and in the written guidelines handed out the night before. Scores from last year were available for over eleven months, and during that event, the highest place for a team which skipped checkpoints was 6th – that was before penalties were introduced this year! How any team could have decided that skipping checkpoints was a good idea, whether part of a “strategy” or not, is simply beyond me. Logically speaking, they did not finish the entire race.
That said, if a team doesn’t complete all of the mandatory checkpoints in time, especially if they drop out early, they probably shouldn’t be considered in the standings, because…well, because they didn’t finish.
Unfortunately, no team finished the entire course before the deadline. One team (the winning team) reportedly would have finished on time, had they not forgotten to stamp their scorecard at the last mandatory checkpoint – they went back to get the stamp and were heading to the finish line when the deadline hit.
Compare this with last year, when seven out of thirty-five, or twenty percent of teams managed to complete the entire course before the deadline. Why such a difference between events?

24 Hour Road March Adventure Challenge
The course layout this year placed mandatory checkpoints with challenges along major roads, and unmanned mandatory checkpoints at random points in the desert. Last year, mandatory checkpoints with challenges were located not only along roads in low points, but also at the tops of the highest mountains in the area.
This year, teams which looked at the whole course and decided from the beginning that it was too difficult simply had to walk along a road for approximately twenty-five to thirty miles in order to complete “most” of the course; teams which wanted to hit every mandatory checkpoint had to divert from the road numerous times and cross hills covered in small sharp rocks. Considering that the event started out stupid (the 100lbs-of-rocks-duffel-bag-carry was replaced with digging a shallow hole? What?) and only got dumber as teams walked for hours across the desert only to get a check in a box, I don’t really blame certain teams for deciding halfway that hitting every mandatory checkpoint was a waste of time.

Rare photo of me actually working
In summary, teams were penalized for skipping checkpoints, but the course was highly unrealistic (evidence: no one reached MCP11 by dawn and no one finished the course on time) and incentivised skipping checkpoints.
All of that said, the teams which won the race and took second place absolutely deserved their positions; I would venture to say that the third place team deserved their place as well, even though they dropped out not long before the end time. We were in fourth place, which I am still somewhat uncomfortable with. However, we traveled similar distances compared to some of the teams which “finished” – plus we encountered greater elevation changes. So I’m not ashamed of our performance, and according to CD we did deserve our fourth-place finish as we stuck pretty close to the intended route of travel for 31 miles. However, it probably would have been better to limit prizes and placement to the top three teams and tell everyone else that they didn’t rate (for various reasons).
Summary
This was an event that very few people could be happy with, and all of the problems may be traced back to Competition Dynamics. I let a few minor things slide last year because it was their first time running the event, although they do have years of experience running other shooting events. However many minor problems there may have been last year, it was fun and challenging in an intelligent way. This year, the cost of the event and lodging was nearly double the cost of the event last year, but it wasn’t fun at all, just stupid. My friends and I don’t need to pay over $900 to walk around in the desert for a while; we are able to do that at home, and I think many other people might feel the same way.

“I’m so happy to be here,” he said facetiously
Competition Dynamics bills their products as “WORLD CLASS EXTREME PRACTICAL SHOOTING EVENTS RUN BY PROFESSIONALS.” The 2013 Sniper Adventure Challenge was anything but “world class.” It was in almost every regard an example of how to not run such an event. Competition Dynamics may have unwittingly created a market for an event which they cannot (or will not) deliver, allowing a potential competitor to step up and offer their own take on the “shooting adventure race.” Only time will tell which approach is superior.

Last edited:
Although it's pretty critical, I value Andrew's writeup and I respect those guys.

The scoring thing along with "finishing vs. not finishing" and what "mandatory" means was hashed out pretty extensively over on FB and I'd encourage anyone interested in that to go read it there.

Our goal is to have most of the competitors be able to get to most of the challenges. It's a waste of time for us to plan them and set them up if nobody gets there. The length of the course was increased "by accident" because two of the Tomcars became inoperable as they were being deployed to a vehicle movement section. For those of you familiar with the course, this was to start at MCP6 and take competitors almost all the way to MCP7. This was to suck out a bunch of the travel time/distance out of that south section of the course. With the first teams approaching MCP6 and no working vehicles, we were in a bind and there was no way to shorten or divert the route at that point. This screwed up the drop dead times for MCP7 and 8, and the MOD Armory stage timing (we are working with them to make it right), and made the whole course longer and made the end time much harder.

The Tomcars did cause us a lot of heartburn due to the mechanical problems. "When they did work", they did allow access to the course faster than anything other than a trophy truck, dirt bike, or helo.

I find the comments about waiting too long to be picked up, especially in non-emergency situations, kind of strange. This is an adventure race with a lot of inherent risks. There are places that no vehicle can get you. If a team wondered far off property, it could be very hard for anyone to locate them. There is no promise that help is just around the corner and that should be pretty obvious to anyone entering the event. A couple pages ago I wrote, "Overall, the event has the same risks as doing the same activities on one's own -- and it should be approached with the same gravity -- however, we do have some additional infrastructure in place to potentially help people out if they get in trouble." Not that if you want to tap out we'll be there to pick you up as quickly as you can get a pizza delivered to your house. The reason all that survival gear is on the required gear list is so that a team can take care of themselves if they get really lost or stuck.

The reason the event looked like a road march to a lot of people is that they bypassed the MCP's that forced them into more interesting terrain.

This year we worked hard to not repeat any of 2012's problems, but we had some new problems crop up. This is still a new format that we're trying to work the bugs out of. If we repeat a "SAC" type event in 2014, we will take everything we've learned from 2012 and 2013 and roll it into the event. All in all, we haven't found the ideal venue for a SAC type event. One format change that is on the table is setting a much shorter "mandatory" route that encompasses all the challenges, and then having the distance scale up as teams desire (with commensurate points) from BCP's. I am also considering a points breakdown that scales up the challenge/shooting points to something more significant. I welcome feedback about format and challenge-wise, what people want to see in the "SAC" -- please send your thoughts in an email if possible.

If you guys want a lot more shooting overall, try the Steel Safari, Thunder Beast Team Challenge, or SHC. Those are dialed in and everyone knows right what to expect.

I already discussed most of this blog post with the owner elsewhere on the internet. I'm not going to rehash our discussion here, he has some good points, and many we probably disagree on - But as a competitor both years at the SAC, and having adventure raced around the globe the last 12 years, and shot various competitive matches the last 6 years, I disagree with some points. I thought the match was scored very fairly, and the race staff was up front about exactly what the SAC is. It's not just a shooting match. It's not just navigation. It's not just technical skills. It's being able to pull all kinds of things together, adapt when your plan, your body, or your equipment fails, and being able to push yourself to another level. Having been in a 3 way dogfight all night with two other teams, I have nothing but respect for all SAC competitors and the CD staff for setting this up. It takes a lot of drive to get to the point of just toeing the line...

Racing in Canada or South America, if you get in a situation where you need help, you are quite literally fucked. Yes, eco challenge on TV, primal quest, etc - People die there, and when people get in over their heads, they are seriously screwed (I've picked my teams very carefully in the past based on shared risk tolerance, skillsets, and ability to keep their shit together when we are in a bad spot) - In contrast, CD has a solid emergency plan, but ultimately, we are leaving our living rooms and going into hard dangerous terrain to do dangerous stuff.

As far as things like the Tomcar go - Last years vehicles blew up too... - Just like any other piece of equipment, the SAC is going to stress it and find the flaw, be it people, guns, or gear. I thought the venue supported the event well - If they ran out of bunks they should probably just cut it off to the first N, it's not that long of drive to a town with a hotel given the late 11:30am start.

As far as the MCP's and penalty go - I think that taking the MCP's in order is only fair and the penalty/scoring is appropiate - Skipping MCP's gives a team an extreme advantage in avoiding hours and miles of exposure to the elements. (not to mention the difficulty of staffing the race if teams skip a lot). When we hit the lockpicking at MCP17, I was initially jazzed - I'd trained on that exact lock, and thought we would be through it quickly. However, 32 hours of fatigue, salt, lactate, and heat had done their work, and we struggled to pick the lock, giving up precious time. That, coupled with several other big mistakes that totaled hours, ultimately resulted in us running out of time about 3-4km from the finish.

I'd not written a race report in years, but I've had so many people asking, I'll do so and post the link here.

ETA: As far as road goes, I'd venture that less than 20-25% of our travel was on a road. Lots of cross country, at night, following a compass bearing.

Last edited:
As a fellow adventure race director and racer, I can sympathize with Zak on expectations of competitors on a perfect adventure race course. While we may put hundreds of hours into designing, testing and implementing a course, you can never insure the race will be everything EVERYONE was wanting in the race. Just as teams should expect the unexpected, race directors must also change courses and deal with equipment and volunteer failures. An ability to manage change on the fly and mitigate risk while still providing a quality race experience is what race directing is all about. Sounds like Zak did everything he could.

The venue sounds perfect, being far away from urban areas and includes large tracts of land with great terrain. Anyone wishing for a quality venue in close prox. to airports and hotels needs to adjust his expectations or find another sport.

The lodging would seem a bit dodgy for some but would have probably gone without comment if the price would have been more appropriate or if camping were available on site. My guess this was a restriction of using the venue.

Scoring would seem to be a no brainer for me but I am not sure how it was done in either race. Mandatory points are mandatory. Don't get em and you pay a harsh penalty up to an unofficial finish. The team that gets the most mandatory points, plus bonus nav points, plus bonus shooting points in the shortest amount of time wins. The weight of those shooting point values is the deciding factor in whether teams go after nav points or nav points with shooting bonus points available.

Every race is a learning experience and improvements can always be made but I'd advise anyone offering anything but constructive criticism to give it a try. Put on your own race and just see how it goes. Keep your head up Zak.

PS. I will be your first team to register for next years race. Can't wait.

I was a competitor at this year’s event; I did not go last year.

When my partner and I first looked at doing this, I compulsively read every AAR I could about the event, including Andrew’s report from last year. In doing that, I realized this event was what I wanted: An adventure race with a shooting component, which is how I described it to my friends and family (All of whom thought I was crazy for doing it). We also realized that for us, the Sprint class was the best fit for our particular needs.

In the train up, I spent most of my time rucking and doing orienteering competitions. I actually only shot my carbine once for practice before the match (Although, I shoot 3-gun with it all the time, so I’m very comfortable with it). My partner spent more time with his REPR, but it was brand new to him. We dialed it in as best as we could and drove on, knowing land nav and fitness would count for more.

Upon arrival, and being assigned to “walk to that bunkhouse and find a spot” I was a little skeptical. I have stayed in some sketchy places, and this was right up there. I think the biggest gripe I have is that, as Andrew comments, we paid quite a bit for it. We stayed 3 nights and had more meals, but it was still not cheap. Allowing camping or RV’s if the venue allows and offering a “meal package” might be a better idea. (NOTE: spicy enchiladas are not the best choice for dinner after the end of an adventure race.)

I’m with SRSDriver regarding the lock. Locks are one of my “things” and when I hit that I was jazzed as well. I could not get it either (the 2nd one from the left) and ate up time. Not the match’s fault at all.

My partner and I reviewed the scoring pretty carefully, as all of the top 4 Sprint teams were within 100 points, and the 2-4 place teams were separated by less than 12 points. To me, that indicates pretty fair scoring and very competitive teams. Of the 7 Sprint teams, 2 dropped out and 1 skipped a bunch of MCP’s, clearly putting them down at the bottom of the scoring. My partner and I made some “rookie” mistakes that cost us the match. (Going back and wasting an hour looking for a BCP, choosing a poor route between 2 checkpoints, and some others.) We made it to every MCP, although 3 were too late to get points for them and we finished 2 hours late. But we walked in on our own two feet, which to us was huge.

I do agree with the unrealistic expectations for the “drop dead times.” Clearly they realized that as the times were extended during the day, although no one seemed to know how long those extensions were.

Regarding the Medevac part: This is one of my pet peeves, so I’ll try to keep it short. I deal with people all the time that expect “the authorities to do something” when things go wrong. As Zak said, all of that stuff we had to carry was to be able to keep us alive until help could reach us. However, if it came down to it, we are all responsible, by choosing to participate in an event that takes us out of our living room, for our own safety. As mentioned, people have died doing stuff like this. When we hit MCP 3, one of the things that drove me was the knowledge that I could not realistically get much help there. I knew I had to walk out and I did.

I have e-mailed Zak with a couple of suggestions about the match. For example, I felt scoring one of the LR shooting stages on “first round hits from the rifle shooter” on 8” plates was somewhat unfeasible under those conditions. I suggested allowing 2 shots per target from the rifle and scoring 10 for a 1st round hit and 5 for a 2nd round hit. I also felt the checkpoints could have been improved somewhat (reflective tape, etc.)

Also, I noted there seems to be a lot of heartburn that was the “Sniper adventure challenge” and there was very little shooting. I have no experience as a military sniper, but as a LE sniper, I have had many deployments and have yet to fire a shot. Lots of movement, observation and communication, very little shooting. Kinda like what we did at the match…

Overall, I had fun. More importantly, I learned a lot about myself and my limits. Like anything, there were some elements that could be improved upon. We will be back next year. (We have to. We have all the stuff now...)

Greg

I know this isn’t easy, and to be honest I don’t think the primary goal nor the outcome was that CD made a ton of money on this. Pulling something like this off with that many support staff and that much prep time, you are crazy if you think this is a big money maker. To be fair this is an unbelievable pain in the ass both logistically, financially, and to weight the scoring so that everything is truly balanced. I take my hat off to Zak for really working hard on this.

However, I don’t think the event is really that far off in terms of what they want to do with it and what it is. I think most of us just wanted something different. This is truly a foot race with some bonus points for doing other tasks, but at it’s heart it is not a shooting competition at all. The rifle part is more of a novelty and a method of breaking really close ties, rather than a balanced portion of the race. But I think that is how they want it and seem to be pretty straight forward in that regard. I am just not sure the people that want to do that are the people they are reaching by calling it the “sniper challenge”.

The comment about “I am a police sniper and haven’t taken any shots so not shooting at a sniper comp is pretty realistic” doesn’t make any sense at all. I am sure there are a lot of Marine Snipers that spent more time standing in formation or “waiting for word” than they did shooting, but that doesn’t mean we need to do a parade deck challenge.

In my opinion from listening to the vast majority of competitors was that they wanted the scoring more balanced. For example if you say there are 5-6 main categories of performance (land nav, mental challenges, shooting challenges, physical challenges, and technical skills like lock picking) then no single category should be so weighted that you can score a zero in every category except 1 and be in the top 3. For example you could have got all the MCP’s and BCP’s and scored zero on every other aspect of the course and you would have likely won, but for sure have been in top 3. On the flip side, you could have scored a zero on land nav, and maxed the points in every other category and you would lose to the team that only scored in 1 category.

Finally for the last time, the minus points for skipping made sense, it wasn’t ideal in my mind because of the other issues that happened, but that is the individual teams fault for messing that up. To say the teams that skipped some points took the easy road……..that is extremely funny. There was no easy way to cross the finish line if you at least did 1-7 in order. But it was not a smart plan for scoring.

Last edited:
I am not very surprised there is disagreement about what the "SAC" should be. Heck, here on SnipersHide there's significant disagreement about what "our" rifle shooting sport is, just look at the variety of different rifle matches advertised or discussed here.

Anyway, the description of the SAC on the website has been the same since we first announced the 2012 match,
This event is an adventure race involving: land navigation; practical shooting with long-range rifle, carbine, and pistols; fieldcraft; problem solving; and other related tasks.

Two-man teams will be required to navigate at least 30 miles on foot to complete the course. Along the way, there will be a series of tasks to accomplish to gain additional points.
There's nothing in there about it being balanced; it lays out very clearly that this is primarily an adventure race with additional points available from shooting stages and challenges.

Our other matches have different focuses and test different things. The SHC has a huge amount of downright hard rifle shooting in 2.5 days (roughly 150 unique target presentations) but is not so physically involved. The Steel Safari involves some land movement (about 3-5 miles) which is not on the clock, but target location, ranging, and time-management are tested strongly -- and the bar is set extremely high for rifle shooting performance by the competitors. Then there's the TBAC Team Challenge which tests physical ability (movement of 3-5 miles on the clock); ability to locate, range, and make first-round hits while on the clock; and then 3-Gun style assault stages (and night stages)- and it has roughly equal scoring, so that finishing a field course early for a time bonus does not help you unless you make your hits. If you want more shooting, those are the ones. An observation is that whenever shooting has a significant weight in scoring, there usually ends up being almost no way to make up for deficient shooting with athletic performance or other problem solving.

Anyway, at the SAC this year, there were approx 3695 points available (with all 21 BCPs). At 0 BCPs but everything else, it was 2960.

This puts the percentage from each type of challenge at approximately:
Required land nav: 50-60%
Bonus land nav: 0-20%
Challenges: 14-17%
Shooting: 14-17%
"Other": 4-5%

It would be almost impossible to design a scoring system that was relatively fair and required that all top competitors placed "well" in at least 5 categories.

Anyway, we are discussing some potential changes for next year that include in large part plans to ensure that almost all competitors have the opportunity to take or shoot all the stages/challenges.

Here are some quick cell phone photos
1.jpg
2.jpg

Shirts are 50/50 poly/cotton American Apparel Made in USA "New Silver" color.

There's nothing in there about it being balanced; it lays out very clearly that this is primarily an adventure race with additional points available from shooting stages and challenges.

With that clarification and percentage break down, perhaps it would be a good idea to call it something other than "Sniper" Challenge, and give it a name that is indicative of what it really is. Just a suggestion.

Objecting to the name of the event is kind of silly. CD events are some of the most well documented with regard to what to expect as a competitor. Anyway, it's not called the "Sniper Challenge". It's the 24-Hour Sniper Adventure Challenge. That was chosen on purpose based on the elements:

"24-Hour" - refers to a class of adventure race. "a race lasting between 18-30+ hours, typically involving UTM-based (Universal Transverse Mercator) navigation. Often basic rope work is involved (e.g., traverses or rappels). 24-hour and longer races often require that competitors employ a support crew to transport gear from place to place. Other races do not permit support crews, with race organizers transporting gear bins to designated checkpoints for racers. Example of 24 hour event is X-Marathon in Australia." (quoted from Wikipedia) It does not mean there is a 24-hour promise or cutoff.

Sniper - overall, we have "sniper" related shooting stages and related challenges. In shooting this means that target location, ID, ranging, and long-range precision is emphasized.

Adventure - adventure race; involves elements of adventure, including risks and uncertain outcomes

Challenge - 100% success may be impossible and teams may not be able to complete all tests/stages

No pithy event name is going to fully describe any complex event.

Last edited:
Zak,

Sorry if I made it sound like you were anything but straight with where the focus and scoring would be. I think you have been forthcoming with that and I attempted to state that: "But I think that is how they want it and seem to be pretty straight forward in that regard".

I am just saying that doesn't seem to be getting through to many of us, I just think there is a a gap between what people seem to want (people that are showing up) and what the core of the event truly is. I am not saying that you should bend to try and please everyone, that is an endless headache. I am just stating my opinion of what I think might be an event that would better suit the guys that were frustrated. Hope that makes some sense....

I am not very surprised there is disagreement about what the "SAC" should be. Heck, here on SnipersHide there's significant disagreement about what "our" rifle shooting sport is, just look at the variety of different rifle matches advertised or discussed here.

Anyway, the description of the SAC on the website has been the same since we first announced the 2012 match,

Our other matches have different focuses and test different things. The SHC has a huge amount of downright hard rifle shooting in 2.5 days (roughly 150 unique target presentations) but is not so physically involved. The Steel Safari involves some land movement (about 3-5 miles) which is not on the clock, but target location, ranging, and time-management are tested strongly -- and the bar is set extremely high for rifle shooting performance by the competitors. Then there's the TBAC Team Challenge which tests physical ability (movement of 3-5 miles on the clock); ability to locate, range, and make first-round hits while on the clock; and then 3-Gun style assault stages (and night stages)- and it has roughly equal scoring, so that finishing a field course early for a time bonus does not help you unless you make your hits. If you want more shooting, those are the ones. An observation is that whenever shooting has a significant weight in scoring, there usually ends up being almost no way to make up for deficient shooting with athletic performance or other problem solving.

Anyway, at the SAC this year, there were approx 3695 points available (with all 21 BCPs). At 0 BCPs but everything else, it was 2960.

This puts the percentage from each type of challenge at approximately:
Required land nav: 50-60%
Bonus land nav: 0-20%
Challenges: 14-17%
Shooting: 14-17%
"Other": 4-5%

It would be almost impossible to design a scoring system that was relatively fair and required that all top competitors placed "well" in at least 5 categories.

Anyway, we are discussing some potential changes for next year that include in large part plans to ensure that almost all competitors have the opportunity to take or shoot all the stages/challenges.

Zak, I am not objecting, I am making a suggestion based on what the AAR above states and from what others who participated in the first one have said. Clearly, by your explanation, it is more of an adventure race than a shooting event. So why not name it appropriately is all I am suggesting? If you are expecting a glass of Orange Juice and you're given a glass of Sunny D (15% juice) would you not be a bit disappointed? Perhaps even give the percentage break down of the event, like you did above, in the event description so people know coming into it that its not a shooting centric competition. I think the clearer you make it, the less you will hear about it in future AARs from competitors.

Accept the good ideas, ignore the complaints

Zak, my advice to you is to accept the good suggestions that you believe would improve the event, and don't feel compelled to answer all the critics. Once you start a "dialogue" with the critics, things can quickly spiral down into a pissing match as people feel compelled to justify their position (which is often misunderstood due to the nature of these written notes anyway).

This is your event, you are taking the risks and spending the time/money to organize it -- call it whatever you want.

I'll join in here. I think the race was clearly described. We read the descriptions in detail and willfully disregarded them. We had in our heads a different event, one that we wanted to do, and we talked ourselves into the idea that this was going to be it. We take all the blame for entering an event we (in hindsight) really didn't want to do.

Assuming the overall concept of the event remains unchanged, we will not participate again. It's no fault of the event, it's just not what we're looking for.

BTW, did the photographer get any pics of shooting at MCP2?

Last edited:
Well said, that is the same point I was trying to get at. The thing is it wasn't just a couple misguided people, it seems like a large portion of us disregarded the the way it was outlined. Hell, we did it last year and still came in thinking that it was going to be a lot more emphasis on the challenges.

It's interesting to hear that. The scoring from 2012 to 2013 was exactly the same other than two changes: (1) skipping an MCP incurred -200; (2) BCP's worth 35 instead of 20. (The is from comparing the "Scoring" section of the packet year over year.)

Last year we had 6 challenges; this year we had 6 planned but the "intel gathering exercise" had to be skipped due to the vehicle-related schedule slip.

Last year we had 6 shoot stages planned, but the one had to be dropped due to the access issue; this year we had 5.

Last year the winning team got 61% of their points from land nav. This year it was 75%. Last year for teams without penalties and who did not drop out early it ranged from about 50% up to 78% points contributed from land nav. The same comparison is tough for this year due to the skipped MCP penalty, but we had teams who got less than 30% of their overall points from land nav and one as high as 80%.

In summary, the total number of challenges and shooting stages were almost identical; however, teams had a harder time getting to more of them this year due to the schedule slip that has been previously discussed. This year there were moderately more points available to earn from land nav, but the distances involved in achieving BCP's was increased.

Last edited:
Zak, I am not objecting, I am making a suggestion based on what the AAR above states and from what others who participated in the first one have said. Clearly, by your explanation, it is more of an adventure race than a shooting event. So why not name it appropriately is all I am suggesting? If you are expecting a glass of Orange Juice and you're given a glass of Sunny D (15% juice) would you not be a bit disappointed? Perhaps even give the percentage break down of the event, like you did above, in the event description so people know coming into it that its not a shooting centric competition. I think the clearer you make it, the less you will hear about it in future AARs from competitors.

You already know a lot better than I do, but in my limited experience, shooting is a small (albeit crucial) percentage of sniping. I've humped a long ways, and put some serious work into setting up, just to watch a goat hearder beating it out in a field. I see where you are coming from though, and I can barely walk 0.3 miles, let alone 30 so I have no say in it.

Where was the vehicle portion supposed to take place? I know it was going to be movement from one point to another, but where was that?

It's interesting to hear that. The scoring from 2012 to 2013 was exactly the same other than two changes: (1) skipping an MCP incurred -200; (2) BCP's worth 35 instead of 20. (The is from comparing the "Scoring" section of the packet year over year.)

Last year we had 6 challenges; this year we had 6 planned but the "intel gathering exercise" had to be skipped due to the vehicle-related schedule slip.

Last year we had 6 shoot stages planned, but the one had to be dropped due to the access issue; this year we had 5.

Last year the winning team got 61% of their points from land nav. This year it was 75%. Last year for teams without penalties and who did not drop out early it ranged from about 50% up to 78% points contributed from land nav. The same comparison is tough for this year due to the skipped MCP penalty, but we had teams who got less than 30% of their overall points from land nav and one as high as 80%.

In summary, the total number of challenges and shooting stages were almost identical; however, teams had a harder time getting to more of them this year due to the schedule slip that has been previously discussed. This year there were moderately more points available to earn from land nav, but the distances involved in achieving BCP's was increased.

I was humbled to be able to help out and be in the presence of so many competitors who had the intestinal fortitude to even show their faces at an event like this. It's interesting to me how different all the perspectives are about this event from people who were there. I guess the more intense the crucible, the wider the extreme spread becomes in experience and perception.

For example, it was remarkable to me to hear the complaints from the teams who skipped MCP's but walked-in on their own power, in contrast to the feedback from the team who placed 2nd in the Endurance class, as well as the team that placed 1st in Sprint class. It was like talking with people who had gone to different competitions.

The teams that actually made it to all the challenges except 18 had seemingly endless praise for the detail and layout of the challenges, especially the POW/E&E challenge, the rock-climbing, and other events. From a staff perspective, to see what so many teams missed-out on in the experience that was achieved by a few really stuck out to me. Again, it was like 2 different competitions, depending on what choices you made.

I actually thought Felix Canyon Ranch was an awesome venue for this. I had no idea of the conditions that Andrew documented, and I think there was a whole section of better accommodations that wasn't used right in the main area that could have housed the teams that were displaced to the other area.

Another perspective difference was with the vehicles. From a staff point of view, the TOMCARs seemed to be much better suited than the RAZORs last year. The TOMCARs had over 5,000 miles on them in that terrain, so the mechanical failures we encountered are par for the course. The TOMCARs allowed more passengers and gear to be carried than golf cart-size frames ever will, and are fast. For Medical response, we were on the road as soon as we got a Spot call or radio call, and were basically out all day and night providing care and evac for teams in need.

If you look at the amount of volunteer work that went into this, and were to try to value that, with all the skill sets involved, I'm not sure what the figure would be, but I know of no other organization that could pull it off. There were multiple staff who literally spent their entire vacation time, with families in-tow, providing 16-18hr days in support of this year's SAC, and were there days before any competitors arrived. There will always be room for improvement of course, but to be combining several different competitive disciplines, I think Competition Dynamics is doing something new and interesting that provides an opportunity to test oneself and team in a course format that exists nowhere else.

It certainly provides an opportunity to learn lessons and develop skills that push human capability to the limits.

Anyone that thinks pulling something like this off is in any way simple, is not paying attention. This appears difficult, and if you have any experience in this area at all, you know things that seem easy are actually pretty difficult logistically, and things that seem difficult from the outside looking in are normally a complete nightmare. I really thank all the CD staff and everyone that helped out for all the hard work they did. I know how much we did, and we were just competitors and sponsors that didn't have to set up anything for the course.

Anything that I state is only honest straight forward no BS criticism, my opinion and nothing more. I in no way think that Zak and his team didn't give this a ton of work, that is undeniable. I was just frustrated because there is so much that goes into one of these and this year it wasn't what I wanted it to be. Some of this was due to mistakes we made as a team, some were misguided expectations on what "I" thought it should be (not my competition), and others were shortcomings (in my opinion) in the course layout and the venue for various reasons (some were hiccups like the vehicles).

I'd like to thank all the volunteers. My teammate and I sure appreciate you blowing a holiday weekend on our behalf. Really, we have a pretty good idea of how much it cost you in time, effort, and dollars to support us, and we are grateful. Everyone we met was unfailingly professional and competent. Some also offered or returned a smile, something especially nice since we were there to have fun.

I only know a few of you by name, but if you recognize these faces, know that we noticed you and appreciate you. Thanks!

475cb58ba40b7a553170a6775feb0c3d_zpsc3fc9c5b.jpg

Zak

I know it might be a little early to be discussing the 2014 SAC, but I was planning my event schedule for next year and I was wondering if you have any preliminary details on the date of the 2014 SAC. I'm just looking to make sure I block off some vacation time during the month or better yet, the week of the event. I realize that at this point it would all just be preliminary.

Thanks

Dario

Very interesting read. I really wanted to do this event this year, but was unable to find a local teammate.

I've done a fair amount of adventure racing and it always surprises me when competitors complain about the "adventures" encountered along the way. Isn't part of the appeal encountering and overcoming the unknown? Other than the cost/conditions of the sleeping arrangements, it seems that most of the complaints fall into this category. Personally, the relatively minimal weight of the shooting challenges makes this even appeal to me even more. I'm an OK shooter, but not a great one. This event would be a better fit for me than one with relatively little land nav or other challenges and lots of 1500+ yard shots. To each their own.

2014 Competition Dynamics event dates are up!

The Sniper Adventure Challenge is scheduled for September 5-7 in Douglas Wy.

Plenty of time to train.

Very cool.

The 2014 Sniper Adventure Challenge will be held in Douglas WY on Sept 5-7th.

There will be some changes to the structure of the event but the spirit of the overall challenge will stay the same. A primary goal of these changes is to ensure that a majority of the teams get a chance to try all of the challenges/stages, but not decrease the "scale up" performance that the top team demonstrated in 2013.

There will be at least two divisions like last year.

Additional details will be posted soon. Registration will open in late Jan, after SHOT Show.

This site will be great for the SAC. It's 10 minutes from town. Plenty of possibilities for long and short-range shooting. Interesting geography. There is significant elevation gain, but also running water in the stream. Some rocky sections, some lush areas. One of the host landowners is a Unimog aficionado.

Zak are you going to throw up a thread for the 2014 challenge? I finally have a teammate who's willing and we're starting to train up, but it would be nice to be able to toss out a few questions. Looking forward to it!