• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2013 thunder valley precision shoot dates

Saturday was a great day to shoot. Winds were tricky, but whats the fun if there isn't wind. It was my first time shooting an intimidator in almost 9 months so it felt good to get out there.

Here is a picture of the score sheet in case anyone wanted to see it and also a picture of the people that shot.

58427179-2E26-4591-856A-1E85A7ABE64B-1394-0000023C52E44BAC.jpg

EA2DE5A4-E0A7-4829-98DF-DFF5F32ECD3E-1394-0000023C687C802F.jpg

Last edited:
What is a typical day like for shooting your "opn range"? I'm contemplating coming out this Saturday and shoo past 400 yds for the first time. I think my scope dope is only good to 600 or 700 yds.

What is a typical day like for shooting your "opn range"? I'm contemplating coming out this Saturday and shoo past 400 yds for the first time. I think my scope dope is only good to 600 or 700 yds.

TVP has a row of about 20 concrete benches, and plenty of room to lay out prone. From this area, there are steel targets from ~170 yards to 1000 yards, plus another target at ~1700 (forget exactly how far).

Perpendicular to the range is a 100 yard range with a target backer for posting paper targets to get a zero. The 100 yard zero range also serves as a 250-300 yard rimfire steel range.

If you were to extend the line of benches 300 yards, you'd find yourself atop a steep hill. The top of this hill is "position 1", and provides steel from 560 yards to 1700 yards.

Halfway up that hill is the "headhunter" position 1, which provides spring loaded head-shaped targets (9" tall and 6" wide) from 300-600 yards, plus some other steel.

You can shoot from any of these areas, as much as you want as long as you're being safe:

1. Keep your CCW pistol in the car
2. Remove the bolt from your rifle until it's on the firing line pointed downrange
3. Keep your magazine out of the rifle (or don't load your blind magbox) until it's on the firing line pointed downrange
4. Don't put a cartridge into battery until you're looking through the scope and have the rifle aimed at the target you want to shoot
5. Don't shoot the rimfire steel targets with your centerfire rifle
6. Don't shoot anybody.
7. Have fun

Great place to shoot, bring lots of ammo (easy to fire 100 rounds in a day...easy) and have fun.

Sounds fun... I want to shoot there this weekend. Is Sat and Sun both "open range" or just Saturday.? I have a friend coming with me(very responsible fella). Anything else I need to know? Are the targets at known distances....meaning I don't need a range finder. I'm working with basic gear. My ballistic app should get me close I'm hoping. Sorry for the new guy questions as I've never done any range shooting outside of my police/ranger officer training 11 years ago and that was all close quarters training.

Sounds fun... I want to shoot there this weekend. Is Sat and Sun both "open range" or just Saturday.? I have a friend coming with me(very responsible fella). Anything else I need to know? Are the targets at known distances....meaning I don't need a range finder. I'm working with basic gear. My ballistic app should get me close I'm hoping. Sorry for the new guy questions as I've never done any range shooting outside of my police/ranger officer training 11 years ago and that was all close quarters training.

4th OPEN RANGE
5th INTIMIDATOR
after the match on thye 5th, you can stay and shoot like a open range...

the match is this...

Pos 1

Pos 2

Pos 3

Pos 4

The steel targets are not marked for range. Either you need a rangefinder or you'll need to ask somebody there that knows the ranges.

Hell yeah Ring, thanks for the distances. Is the steel that distances on Saturday as well? I'm goin to have to buy a range finder....

Still rated as a high priority place to shoot, I believe that on the first day of arrival last year the six of us went through 900 rounds of ammo. Just a great place to be if your into shooting can’t say it any better.

The Head Hunter and Intimidator rounds that Tom has are a blast to shoot as well, be it a seasoned shooter or someone just starting to get into extended range shooting.
We have been there four different times traveling 13 hours one way by vehicle and its well worth it.

This last week we were scheduled to be there but three of the individuals ended up with complications so we are making plans for the trip later.

Seriously an awesome place for anyone that loves to shoot – you need to take a trip there.

Tom, I tried to hook up with you and I know your very busy, give me a call sometime.

Jeff

The Wisconsin crew

Hell yeah Ring, thanks for the distances. Is the steel that distances on Saturday as well? I'm goin to have to buy a range finder....

No.

The intimidator course of fire shoots from 4 different positions, only one of which is available for you to shoot from on an open range day.

Owning a laser is nice, but hardly necessary. There will be people there that can tell you the ranges to the targets.

By the way, if you've got the ammo and the time, I'd advise you to shoot the intimidator on Sunday. A lot more fun that an "open range day". ORD's have their place for messing around, getting dope and trying new things, but it is not at the core of riflery... What is at the core of riflery? Identifying a target, evaluating the conditions, and connecting with it. ORDs give you too much oppurtunity to try and try and try.

Turbo, I need the "try try try" time under my belt to know what my rifle is capable of. I've shot 4 rounds to 400yds and a box at 300. If I manage to not get called in to run a dozer tommorow I'm gonna be there! I have a hunch ill be embarrassed but what the hell. If it goes ok maybe I'll come for Sunday!

Edit- I'm working till NOON, so Ill be out around a 2:00'ish tommorow.

Last edited:
Turbo, I need the "try try try" time under my belt to know what my rifle is capable of. I've shot 4 rounds to 400yds and a box at 300. If I manage to not get called in to run a dozer tommorow I'm gonna be there! I have a hunch ill be embarrassed but what the hell. If it goes ok maybe I'll come for Sunday!

Demolitionman,

A range day is a great time to just get to know your equipment and get good drop data to plug into a calculator but the matches are where all the fun is at. Noone will judge you (well most of the time) if you don't do well, everyone has a bad day.

My buddy and I went to TVP by ourselves when we were 17 and had a great range day and were back the next weekend for an intimidator. It was tons of fun and learned so much in just two days.

Demolitionman,

A range day is a great time to just get to know your equipment and get good drop data to plug into a calculator but the matches are where all the fun is at. Noone will judge you (well most of the time) if you don't do well, everyone has a bad day.

My buddy and I went to TVP by ourselves when we were 17 and had a great range day and were back the next weekend for an intimidator. It was tons of fun and learned so much in just two days.

More than anything I'm looking forward to seeing how guys are setup. What layouts there using, what support bags, bipods etc etc. I got my junk in the truck, gonna roll straight out after work tommorow. Looking forward to meeting some of you. Hope to learn a thing or two.

Gonna be down early on Sunday for the intimidator. Need to zero, and also gonna need a partner. All of the northern guys are working. See you all there. Keez

Had a GREAT time today. I hadn't been there since 5/26/12 and I forgot how much fun the Intimidator is!!! I stuck around and got dope for my 22 as well. It takes 100 moa to get out to 500 with a 50 yard zero with RWS Target Rifle. We had two confirmed hits. The wind was CRAZY today.

Thanks Tom. See you guys at the next Sunday Intimidator.

Last edited:
Kinda bummed I didn't make it for Sunday, but I made it on Sat and learned a TON about my loads and rifle. Really cool place, and a totally bad ass TVP metal work at the entrance! Had a good relaxing time. I've never shot off a legit bench rest and those things are solid and super convenient. I can't wait to go back with one dedicated load rather than a mixmash of stuff and a 20moa scope mount! Super great place. I'm lucky as hell to be a little over an hour away. Stoked.

-is the 100yd zero paper target really 100yds? It seemed short to me....

Anyone else planning on coming tomorrow for the Short Course/ Intimidator?

As of now it only looks like rain around 9am if any.

S.G.M. Mrs Smith has homemade cookies brewing in the oven right now for everyone. We are sorry we did not make it last time and the crew starved out there! lol

Mr Smith, Ill be there, rain or shine with three other shooters. The northern crew is looking forward to the intimidator/short course combo. If your bringing cookies, Ive got the milk. See you there.

FYI: A sling or some shooting sticks can help add a little extra challenge to the short course for those of you shooting the long range lasers.

I won't make it today, but I plan on coming out for open range on Sunday to beat on Toms steel while checking a different load! I'm still learning my come ups... And his layout is awesome for that!

Winds were as crazy as I have ever seen there. If you got caught in a changing condition, you could shoot all around a target while chasing the wind call. Plus, I was playing wind test dummy for my team and my scores reflected that. My partner (Kurt) had high individual score in the intimidator (100), so at least we got him on target. Winning score was 184 (Kurt & I) with the Smiths in the 160s. Mrs Smith also benefited from shooting 2nd.

Not sure How the short course ended up. I think I had 102 and my pard had something over 100. My chance of cleaning it went out the window by being a full turn (5 mil) off in elevation on the first shot and went downhill from there. :D Still was a fun day though and Mrs. Smith brought lots of cookies.

Great day at TVP. As said before by Mike, the winds were very tricky Saturday and you had to be watching close or you right wind hold would change to a left in a matter of minutes. Great conditions for anyone who needs to learn shooting in the wind.
I was happy to be able to get a second round hit on that 1165 yard target with my 20" 308 for the second time in about three years of shooting the Intimidator!

I'm shooting the Intimidator on Saturday. Who else is coming out?

I'm shooting the Intimidator on Saturday. Who else is coming out?

Kurt wish I could be there sat but graduation parties are forcing a Sunday run up there for me. That and I have two rigs to get dialed in for the Sniper match for the 1st.

Good luck,
Merritt

Greetings from the Middle East Tom! Reading about the 2013 schedule makes me miss the days with the guys out at the range...Amber and I can't wait to get back to Ohio and start making trips down again. AZ just doesn't cut it for us. I've got some work I'd like you to do on a couple of my rifles when I get back, I'll be in touch next month when I ship outta here and get back home. Take 'er easy!

- Nick Scarsella

As of right now, myself and three others will be there in the morning for the headhunter. Two of the others have quite a grudge match to settle. Should be interesting. Keez

Mr and Mrs Smith will be down tomorrow to wear out some targets. Mrs Smith will bring cookies for everyone.

Great day at TVP yesterday. 26 shooters came out to tackle the Head Hunter. Tricky winds made it challenging but a lot of fun and a great learning experience for all.

It was an exciting finish with a three way tie that was down to the wire. Congrats to Margaret, Jason and Brad who were the lead scorers with a 12.

Thanks to Tom for hosting a great match and for all of the coaching.

photo-L.jpg

yes it was a great day.it was my first head hunter.a big thanks to tom for a great event.had a awesome time shooting with bill, mr. and mrs. smith,and my good friend jim who has been trying to get me to do this for years.wow i have been missing out,cant wait to get back out. see ya all soon.vince

Last edited:
Finally have my rifles ready to go and plan on going for the open range on Sunday with my son. It is be his first time out at extended range!

I'll be out Sunday as well! Stop by and say hey and teach me a thing or two! Silver Tacoma pickup.

Last edited:
I have never been out to your range but am looking very forward to getting there. I have a question about the Oh.1000/mile match. Is it a shoot what you bring or are there restrictions for claiber, types of rests, brakes, weight of gun ect. Thank's...

I have never been out to your range but am looking very forward to getting there. I have a question about the Oh.1000/mile match. Is it a shoot what you bring or are there restrictions for claiber, types of rests, brakes, weight of gun ect. Thank's...

its a shoot what you bring, and bring enough.(at least the match i attend)
definitely go its nice to see what you can or cant do at 1k or 1mile on paper.

Thank's for the heads up. Looking forward to getting out there. My equip. is up to the task......Am I..?????????

Mr and Mrs Smith will be heading out for the head hunter Saturday. Mrs Smith will have cookies for all.

Who else is planning on coming out?