• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2013 thunder valley precision shoot dates

What time on average has head hunter been finishing up? Trying to decide if I will have time to make i out.

Score sheet from 6/15/2013 Head Hunter at TVP. Great job shooters especially Lou and Mark who took first and second place. Thanks to Wayde for spotting all day and serving as the RO.

photo-L.jpg

What's a headhunter and an intimidator course?

Here is a picture of one of the Head Hunter targets. They are 6 x9 reactive steel targets. The course consists of 4 stages with 5 targets at each stage. One shot per target only, 5 minutes per stage.

mms_picture-L.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the Head Hunter targets. They are 6 x9 reactive steel targets. The course consists of 4 stages with 5 targets at each stage. One shot per target only, 5 minutes per stage.

mms_picture-L.jpg

Remind me to introduce you to the guy that made those...

<<< This Guy <this guy="" ;-)
;)
Anyone coming out for the Combo on Saturday? If the weather looks good, I'll be out there. Want to get some good data on my 7 WSM.</this>

whats the normal start time for a match? 10am?

as inthis sat, combo

The match starts at 10am.

The range is hot from 8am to 9am to check your dope or zero.

It goes cold at 9am for registration and safety briefing.

Sometimes folks are running late and they are allowed to check their dope a little later then 9.

Great day of shooting at TVP. Thanks to Wayde for serving as our RO. Congrats to Kurt and Mark for earning the top team score today on the Intimidator/Short Course Combo.

Here are the score sheets and a group picture.

photo-L.jpg

photo-L.jpg

photo-L.jpg

Sorry for the inconvenience but the Range is CLOSED June 29th & 30th.... Due to repairs to some of the targets.... Thanks

The Smith's will be there for the Head Hunter and possibly the open range day too. And before anyone asks, Cookies will be brought. LOL

If I don't buy a bass boat this weekend, I will be out for open range! Did anyone find a black "MEMO" pad with creedmoor, 243, and 308 dope in it? Smh, I lost all my dope numbers. Argh.

I'll be there for the headhunter Sunday. I might come down for the open range on Saturday, I have to see what happens.

Great day at TVP. Here are the Headhunter results. Congrats to John for today's high score of 16!

photo-L.jpg

photo-L.jpg

Important announcement from TVP regarding the schedule per Tom Sarver:

The Ohio 1000/Mile Match 7&8 that was scheduled for Saturday, July 13th has been CANCELLED. We will shoot the Intimidator that day instead. Usual start time.

Last edited:
End of this month I will be coming to shoot my first Head Hunter match, can anyone give me a run down of how everything works and a few pointers?

From what I have gathered so far, of course, its One Hit, One Kill. 6x9 reactive steel. Dope can be gathered before matches start for an hour, then range is cold.
One shot per target, no hit no point. 4 Stages, 5 targets per stage.

How is the course set up? Rolling hills with targets placed throughout valleys, etc.? And whats the normal wind expectations for the area?

Thanks to anyone for the feedback!

End of this month I will be coming to shoot my first Head Hunter match, can anyone give me a run down of how everything works and a few pointers?

From what I have gathered so far, of course, its One Hit, One Kill. 6x9 reactive steel. Dope can be gathered before matches start for an hour, then range is cold.

How is the course set up? Rolling hills with targets placed throughout valleys, etc.? And whats the normal wind expectations for the area?

Yep, that's about it.

I wouldn't say you GET an hour to gather dope. There isn't much steel available from benches to get dead nuts dope from 250-600 yards. Plus, it's anyone's guess if it'll be too hazy in the morning to see far down range. You'll certainly have opportunity to zero, however.

Terrain is hilly with targets on hills and in valleys.

Wind is....usually not a steady prevailing breeze. It flows over and through the valleys and is what makes TVP.

Have fun.

All of the yardages are listed in order on the score sheet above for anyone who has not shot the course before.

Like Turbo said, you pretty much have it. The wind is what is gonna put a hurtin on you even though it is all inside of 600 yards, they are narrow targets. The RO will show you all five of the targets before you shoot and someone always seems to have a spotter you can look through if your not sure on them. Oh and 5 minutes for all five targets, if its your first go around on the head hunter and you run out of time they usually let you finish but the points don't count. If you have shot it before and you run out of time it's "make your gun safe and get out of the way for the next guy" lol

Bring lots of water and something for lunch it can be brutal out there on the course.

You won't be able to get dope on the actual head hunter targets being as most of the shooting positions are located down range of the benches. You would be able to play around with Position one on a open range day, but none of the others are accessible.

Hope to see you there!

Nice shooting John, must not have been any wind. ;) Seriously, 16 is impressive.

Your rifles look different, did the barrels grow a couple inches?

Thanks Mike and Mark,

I had to pinch myself after I realized that I had just shot a 16 and my last best was something like a 9!

Yea those stubby barrels grew and the bores shrunk on our rifles lol. I was quite pleased with how much of a difference 500 fps and a better BC helps with those small targets!

Update.....This Weekend

13th INTIMIDATOR and NIGHT HEAD HUNTER (Suppressed Only) If interested in renting a suppressor contact Tom ASAP for availability..
14th OPEN RANGE

Nice job john some of the most favorable conditions I have seen down there in years. See you next time.

ST

Way to poo-poo the guy's accomplishment!

If you wanna give a shooter accolades, you should say "damn, that was the switchiest, most inconsistent, unreadable wind I've seen there in years!"

The Smith's will be there for the Intimidator but not the night shoot. The weather is gonna be great and Mrs Smith has cookies! Who else is coming out?

I benefited from the conditions too.

If you wanna give a shooter accolades, you should say "damn, that was the switchiest, most inconsistent, unreadable wind I've seen there in years!"

All I could muster, not much a blowin smoke, he knows he did a good job.

Beautiful day at TVP. A small but mighty group shot the Intimidator. Tricky conditions made it challenging for all. Great job Tom and Wayde, the top scorers of the match.

There is still time to get some shootin' in today at TVP...don't forget about the night Headhunter at sundown.

photo-L.jpg

photo-L.jpg

Nice job john some of the most favorable conditions I have seen down there in years. See you next time.

ST

Now now, lets not let this little misunderstanding get out of hand. Yea the conditions were great for racking up some points on the headhunter that day and I might have lucked out on a few wind calls, or lack of needing wind at all. I think most folks were using too much wind hold that day because of past experiences on that course.

I must say that today was defiantly the complete opposite on the Intimidator. I would of bet the farm I needed right wind on target two of position two and of course I needed left! :( lol. Most of the positions had the wind coming straight at the shooter all day and that is always harder then a full value for me.

Now you two need to hug it out. :)

From the first post in the thread:

JULY
20th INTIMIDATOR/SHORT COURSE COMBO
21st OPEN RANGE
27th OPEN RANGE
28th HEAD HUNTER

AUGUST
3rd OHIO 1000/MILE MATCH 9&10
4th INTIMIDATOR/EXTREME
10th OPEN RANGE
11th HEAD HUNTER
17th OPEN RANGE
18th INTIMIDATOR
24th HEAD HUNTER
25th OPEN RANGE
31st SHORT COURSE/HEAD HUNTER COMBO

they are mixed when shot

Combo
MOA/MIL
Pos 1
Pos 2
Pos 3
Pos 4
Pos 5
Pos 6

<colgroup><col style="width: 64px"><col width="64"><col width="64"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Weather for Saturday is looking pretty shaky. If Saturday is largely rained out can we move the intimidator/short course to Sunday or is it lost? Just wondering, going to be quite the drive.

Do you ever just flip flop days? (I.e. move open range to Saturday and the course to Sunday)