• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2013 thunder valley precision shoot dates

Tom Sarver

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2007
Coshocton,OH USA
Hello shooters and welcome to another year of shooting and fun at TVP.
This is our 10th year anniversary and we are very excited about it. With a full schedule of events everyone will find a course of fire they desire.
We will also host 1000 yard and one mile paper matches this year in the form of benchrest.

Hope to see everyone soon!

MARCH
9th OPEN RANGE
10th OPEN RANGE
16th CLOSED
17th CLOSED
23rd INTIMIDATOR/EXTREME
24th HEAD HUNTER
30th OPEN RANGE

APRIL
6th HEAD HUNTER
7th OPEN RANGE
13th OHIO 1000/MILE MATCH 1&2
14th INTIMIDATOR
20th OPEN RANGE
21st CLOSED
27th INTIMIDATOR
28th HEAD HUNTER/SHORT COURSE COMBO

MAY
4th OPEN RANGE
5th INTIMIDATOR
11th SHORT COURSE/INTIMIDATOR
12th OPEN RANGE
18th INTIMIDATOR
19th OPEN RANGE
25th OHIO 1000/MILE MATCH 3&4
26th HEAD HUNTER

JUNE
1st TVP SNIPER MATCH DAY ONE
2nd TVP SNIPER MATCH DAY TWO
8th OHIO 1000/MILE MATCH 5&6
9th OPEN RANGE
15th HEAD HUNTER
16th OPEN RANGE
22nd INTIMIDATOR/SHORT COURSE COMBO
23rd OPEN RANGE
29th HEAD HUNTER
30th INTIMIDATOR

JULY
6th OPEN RANGE
7th HEAD HUNTER
13th OHIO 1000/MILE MATCH 7&8
14th OPEN RANGE
20th INTIMIDATOR/SHORT COURSE COMBO
21st OPEN RANGE
27th OPEN RANGE
28th HEAD HUNTER

AUGUST
3rd OHIO 1000/MILE MATCH 9&10
4th INTIMIDATOR/EXTREME
10th OPEN RANGE
11th HEAD HUNTER
17th OPEN RANGE
18th INTIMIDATOR
24th HEAD HUNTER
25th OPEN RANGE
31st SHORT COURSE/HEAD HUNTER COMBO

SEPT
1st OPEN RANGE
7th INTIMIDATOR
8th INTIMIDATOR
14th HEAD HUNTER
15th INTIMIDATOR
21st OPEN RANGE
22nd HEAD HUNTER
28th INTIMIDATOR
29TH OPEN RANGE

Last edited:
Your very welcome...

Sorry for the delay shooters but I've been buried with rifle builds and scheduling issues. Not as simple as it may seem. There are a couple dates/shoots that may have to be changed in the next few weeks but I'm hoping for the best. If there is a particular date you want or need let us know ASAP. We have in the past "made it work" for shooters traveling great distance.
We are currently scheduling training classes as well and may do a weekend or two this year as in "new" shooters day.

If I can get details on the Sniper match as soon as possible that would be AWESOME. As I'm sure the other guys are running into hunting down components for reloading is an act of god.

Thank you,
Merritt

Looks like the Wisconsin crew will be down the last weekend in April.

Should be pulling into Coshocton early Friday, definitely worth the 13 hour drive one way.

Thanks Tom

Last edited:
Glad to see a couple Sunday Intimidators listed. Looking forward to getting back out there. Sporting clays can only entertain for so long...

Very close to me. I'd like to simply test myself at 1000 yards someday.

thanks tom,looks like a busy year and great year for shooting,just got me a 300 win mag and looking forward to coming out ..thanks

Normally this is the normal Imtimidator augmented with additional targets that go to I think 2200 or 2400 yards

not getting those 100 straight? WTF. . . . . :) looking forward to shooting with ya.

I know what the Head Hunter round is, but could someone that knows explain the Head Hunter Combo round.

Thanks

oneshot.onehit

The Headhunter/Short Course combo is just that. You shoot both the headhunter and the short course.

The short course is fairly short range, totally doable with a 223 and 69s. You better be on your A+ game with a 223 and 69s to shoot the long course or intimidator.

Always a great place to shoot

Wayde or Tom any chance for the course layout for distances on the Headhunter / Short Course combo. Just for an idea of round counts and getting the index cards ready.

See you folks soon

oneshot.onehit

Last edited:
Hopefully there will be a few of the suppressed night head hunter shoots this year as well.

Keep building those rifles Tom, looking forward to getting the Hulk up and running this summer

AA

The Headhunter/Short Course combo is just that. You shoot both the headhunter and the short course.

The short course is fairly short range, totally doable with a 223 and 69s. You better be on your A+ game with a 223 and 69s to shoot the long course or intimidator.

The short course is doable with a .223 and 69ers, but still pretty difficult. and in actuality, the head hunter is possible with the .223 as well (most if not all are under 600) but the head hunter is much more difficult than most think. On the other hand, the intimidator is hell with a .223 and 69ers. Thats all me and my buddy had the first couple of times we shot at TVP.

Can you still use a 260 or 338 Lapua that day for the Head Hunter/ combo short course
What does the round count bump up to, I know we use 20 on the Head Hunter part.

I don't see any reason you couldn't shoot a 260 for the HH/Short course since 6.5's and the like are what most people shoot. But if I had to guess, Tom wouldn't like you shooting the closer targets with a 338, but don't quote me on that, in the end its best to ask him directly. Personally I think a 338 would be way over kill..

Looking forward to a great year and hope to get to shoot a bunch.

tward2012 said:
The short course is doable with a .223 and 69ers, but still pretty difficult. and in actuality, the head hunter is possible with the .223 as well (most if not all are under 600) but the head hunter is much more difficult than most think. On the other hand, the intimidator is hell with a .223 and 69ers. Thats all me and my buddy had the first couple of times we shot at TVP.

One time at TVP last year a fellow brought his girlfriend/wife to shoot the Intimidator/Long course combo with him. She had a 1-9 twist AR15, using 69s. They shot after me, so I spotted for them. She was connecting nicely with the "possible" targets, but had a lot of difficultly with the long ones. Out past 800 or so, her trace appeared to go straight up through, and out of the field of view of the spotter (even at ~25x). Sometimes I'd watch the trace come back down into the FOV 600 yards further down range. I've never seen such a rainbow trajectory!

tward2012 said:
I don't see any reason you couldn't shoot a 260 for the HH/Short course since 6.5's and the like are what most people shoot. But if I had to guess, Tom wouldn't like you shooting the closer targets with a 338, but don't quote me on that, in the end its best to ask him directly. Personally I think a 338 would be way over kill.

The 338LM is overkill for most of the shooting you'll do at TVP, but they're welcome all the same. I brought mine once last year to shoot the Intimidator and HH. Tom has no problem with you hammering his steel with the big bores.

FYI: A .338" 300SMK @ 2750 is not hard on steel at all. A .224" 52SMK @ 3300 is way WAY worse for the steel. However, the steel definitely needs to be mounted well, because the 338 tends to knock the steel down.

It's a thing of beauty the way the HH targets slap back when you nail them with a 300gr bullet.

See you guys March 23rd and 24th!

I shot at TVP the past two years and moved to Missouri for a job last fall. I now REALLY realize how awesome it was having TVP an hour down the road from my old house. I just shot at a match this weekend near Lake of the Ozarks, MO. It was $100 entry fee and that particular match in only once a year. It was mostly position shooting and very little prone, which is nice to test your ability, but the whole time I felt like I was shooting an IDPA match with a 17 lb rifle.....not a lot of fun, really. One stage stretched out to about 900 yds, but overall the average was about 350 yrd shots in extremely unsupported positions. I'll just say that the folks puting on the match were very nice and helpful, but they are more wrapped around this new "PRS" (Precision Rifle Series) that is all position shooting. According to them, "Everyone can shoot prone". I said, "No, not everyone can shoot prone @ 12" or head sized steel with five different crosswinds at 1000 + yards at Thunder Valley Precision". Yes, most of the shooting at TVP is prone, but I definitely feel you get way more at TVP for $20 at an open range day than $100 or more at a "match" anywhere else. Tom and the rest of the guys at TVP do a good job of mixing in long range precision and putting you in uncomfortable positions where necessary in their Sniper Matches. Sorry for ranting, but I just wanted to let everyone know that TVP IS one of the premier shooting facilities in North America and it IS a bargain to get the access to that kind of range. Needless to say, I'll make the 9 hour drive from St Louis to TVP a few times this summer, especially the June 1 and 2 Sniper Challenge (Assuming I can get my old partner, Colin back in action also).

Have fun gents,
Shannon

I shot at TVP the past two years and moved to Missouri for a job last fall. I now REALLY realize how awesome it was having TVP an hour down the road from my old house. I just shot at a match this weekend near Lake of the Ozarks, MO. It was $100 entry fee and that particular match in only once a year. It was mostly position shooting and very little prone, which is nice to test your ability, but the whole time I felt like I was shooting an IDPA match with a 17 lb rifle.....not a lot of fun, really. One stage stretched out to about 900 yds, but overall the average was about 350 yrd shots in extremely unsupported positions. I'll just say that the folks puting on the match were very nice and helpful, but they are more wrapped around this new "PRS" (Precision Rifle Series) that is all position shooting. According to them, "Everyone can shoot prone". I said, "No, not everyone can shoot prone @ 12" or head sized steel with five different crosswinds at 1000 + yards at Thunder Valley Precision". Yes, most of the shooting at TVP is prone, but I definitely feel you get way more at TVP for $20 at an open range day than $100 or more at a "match" anywhere else. Tom and the rest of the guys at TVP do a good job of mixing in long range precision and putting you in uncomfortable positions where necessary in their Sniper Matches. Sorry for ranting, but I just wanted to let everyone know that TVP IS one of the premier shooting facilities in North America and it IS a bargain to get the access to that kind of range. Needless to say, I'll make the 9 hour drive from St Louis to TVP a few times this summer, especially the June 1 and 2 Sniper Challenge (Assuming I can get my old partner, Colin back in action also).

Have fun gents,
Shannon

Good luck getting Colin back, I havent seen him in ages.jk +1 for your thoughts too. We take it for granted, Tom has been very good about letting me stop out, if nothing is going on, to get dope for matches etc. Always helpful.

I have to agree with Shannon. I just started working on Northern VA after the first of the year and I have to rethink my TVP trips now that it's 6 hours away instead of 3. What you get for the money is exceptional and, when you start going to other ranges and matches, it really sinks in just how awesome the place is. Where else can you shoot to a mile or longer without going to the big states out west? Makes me wish I was closer, but a man's gotta work, take care of his family and eat.

I can't wait to get back out and shoot for the summer. I've always complained a little bit about being 2.5 hours from TVP but after having to live with 100yard ranges for the past few months and knowing how guys make the trip to TVP form Michigan, Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, etc. I've realized just how great of a facility it is and how lucky I am to be pretty close.

I can't wait until the sniper match.

highly looking forward to this year at TVP. didnt have the resources last year to make it out very much but this season is a different story. awesome facility, cant wait for my first run in the sniper match this year. hopefully i can keep up with you tut haha.

also gotta work on getting more guys out there from PA. they dont know what they are missing.

Have fun gents,
Shannon

Well Said Shannon!
Collin is about to finish up at the OSHP academy and told me he will be back shooting this season now that he is out of the academy. Congrats to Collin for making it through a very tough selection process and the academy.

Anyone else planning on shootng the Intimidator tomorrow? Just want to make sure it's a go before I drive down.

Last edited:
PA guys inbound on the 30th. hoping tom will have the registration open for the sniper match then.

talked to tom the other day on the phone and registration will be open on sat, for the sniper match in june. anyone else headed out for the open range day??

Had a great day at Open Range today. Large turnout of shooters and i got to meet some new shooters.
Best part of day was watching the 2 guys with the 338 Lapuas smacking steel at the one mile target. And getting to shoot Toms new 6XC wow thats a sweet set up!

it was a awesome day for me at open range day at tvp, my first time ever shooting at a place like tvp,went out with my good friend jim.met tom and marcy and had a great time,got some good dope on the .308 and got to shoot my old .303 enfield,even tom took a shot with the old girl,awesome place tom,sign me up,cant wait to come back out.(thanks.vince )

Is there a link with info etc for the June sniper match? I will be traveling back to OH then and would be interested in competing. Thanks.

registration for the sniper match in june is open, we signed up and paid on saturday. round count is 200. tom said he is still working out some of the small details on it. looking to be a great time. sign up cost is 250$ per team. camping is also allowed. tom also said they will accept 20 teams and i do believe we were the first to sign up.

Last edited:
registration for the sniper match in june is open, we signed up and paid on saturday. round count is 200. tom said he is still working out some of the small details on it. looking to be a great time. sign up cost is 250$ per team. camping is also allowed.

Is there a way to register other than face-to-face?

i would say give tom a call and you could probably send him a check. i do believe he would accept that. if he doesnt answer, leave a message about what you are calling for and he will return your call. he is very busy with builds and training so try to be patient. even send him a text message if you can. he can usually answer those quicker than calls.

yes, 2 man team event. also, they are considering a night shoot saturday night as a part of the match

Night shoot sounds neat but would add a lot of complexity being that many folks don't have cans, would need to rent/borrow one, and of course rezero/get dope.

FYI TO ALL: I TEXTED TOM ABOUT REGISTERING FOR THE MATCH. YOU CAN MAIL A CHECK TO HIM AT THE ADDRESS LISTED IN HIS SIGNATURE, REFERENCING WHAT/WHO IT'S FOR

tom said he was considering just having everyone shoot 2 of his suppressed 308's for the night shoot since not everyone has a can. figured it would add some fun to it all.

Question for ya'll; If I wanted to come on the April 20th Open Range day, would there be anything besides my rifle, ammo, and spotting scope I'd need? Any particular time to show up?

the range opens at 10am,you can show up a little before to pick out a bench or a spot to lay in the prone,you may want to bring a shooting mat or like me i use a furniture blanket,sounds like you have the rest.shooting bags or sand bags are nice for the bench,s.i hope that helped ya.

Bring a notebook and pen for capturing your dope

If you have a tablet or smart phone consider a ballistic app like Shooter (about $10 ) to calculate wind and bullet drop

Bipod for the rifle

rear shooting bag to help with a supported prone or bench position.

Marcy