• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2014 - Big Dog Steel Challenge @ K&M Shooting Center Feb. 22

I was so disappointed on my pistol performance that I shot 300 rounds today at the range. I had been spending all my time in rifle and neglected the pistol side of things which I wasn't very good at to begin with so that made it even worse. It's all in good fun though even though I do get mad as hell while shooting when I make a stupid mistake. Lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I have never been a solid pistol shooter. My best has always been on carbines and subguns (thankfully, I have a friend with an impressive collection of them), followed by other long guns (rifles and shotguns). I ran my P229 for the match, but I had swapped barrels in it last weekend to go from 357SIG to .40S&W, so the match was only my second time shooting the 40 barrel.

I kinda skunked the pistol shots from Top Gun (and really skunked the rifle because I forgot about the damn wind...), but I have never shot a handgun from such a height advantage before, and the distance was kinda deceiving. That hexxer target kicked my ass, though. I have never shot a target like that before, so I really had a hard time getting my shots timed with the movement, and I failed miserably. I will definitely be practicing the high-angle pistol shots next time I can do so.

My biggest lessons learned were 1) Watch the wind. 2) Watch the damn wind. 3) Keep working on odd/uncomfortable positions and inventive ways to get my rifle stable. I get the feeling that I will be spending some more quality time with that bus, assuming Bryan doesn't drag it off to the urban pit.

I'm just going to bring my glock 34 with my fastfire red dot on top for any other matches that combine pistol and rifle as long as it's permited. I seriously thought about making the trip to our lake house to get it befor I drove down but figured I would fair Ok with my normal 34 but obviously I didn't. Lol. For the rifle I only shoot prone to verify my 100 yard zero at the beginning of each range session. Other than that it's all if barricades. Out range maxes out at 720 so I'm at 3.7 mils with my 6mm creedmoor and hadn't shot past that in a match with the new March scope so that damn 5 mils per rev and moving from the stage that went on to 8xx to the car stage messed me up. I got up there and didn't turn all the way back to the zero stop and just saw 1.8 mils already dialed so I adjusted to 2 mils to have nice hold overs/under which actually put me at 7 mils. Needless to say I was shooting those shots into orbit and had no clue why I was so far off until the 2nd or 3rd shot on the mover stage when the RO nailed it and said "your a full rev high" then it hit me and got pissed and tried to make up time wasted trying to fool with a mag and then the turrets so all of those shots were rushed. Lesson learned though. Always return to zero stop befor each stage and also buy the new 0.1mil/10mil per rev March fx optic when available so my dumb mistakes will hopefully be lessened.

LOL, the only reason WoodenPlank knew it was mine was because it says QUACK all over it.

That, and it's identical to the one you donated to Mike (the photographer at the shoot) after you left it on the range quite a while back. When I saw it laying on the ground, I remember thinking "Well, THAT looks familiar..."

I'm just going to bring my glock 34 with my fastfire red dot on top for any other matches that combine pistol and rifle as long as it's permited. I seriously thought about making the trip to our lake house to get it befor I drove down but figured I would fair Ok with my normal 34 but obviously I didn't. Lol. For the rifle I only shoot prone to verify my 100 yard zero at the beginning of each range session. Other than that it's all if barricades. Out range maxes out at 720 so I'm at 3.7 mils with my 6mm creedmoor and hadn't shot past that in a match with the new March scope so that damn 5 mils per rev and moving from the stage that went on to 8xx to the car stage messed me up. I got up there and didn't turn all the way back to the zero stop and just saw 1.8 mils already dialed so I adjusted to 2 mils to have nice hold overs/under which actually put me at 7 mils. Needless to say I was shooting those shots into orbit and had no clue why I was so far off until the 2nd or 3rd shot on the mover stage when the RO nailed it and said "your a full rev high" then it hit me and got pissed and tried to make up time wasted trying to fool with a mag and then the turrets so all of those shots were rushed. Lesson learned though. Always return to zero stop befor each stage and also buy the new 0.1mil/10mil per rev March fx optic when available so my dumb mistakes will hopefully be lessened.

Not sure about the red dot, but I definitely see a Glock 35 in my future. 12 to 14 round magazines and a short barrel suck for competition use.

Fortunately, I didn't have any issues with tracking my dope between stages like you did. Honestly, I'm surprised I didn't have an issue with it, considering some of the other basic things I screwed up.

If you have never shot with a red dot on top it helps a ton. Makes shooting small targets at decent speed a breeze. 100 yard shots aren't that much of an issue with one but some consider it cheating or an unfair advantage but all I know is I shoot much better with one.

Will post more pics as they come in. For now here are the final scores and winners.

topfinishers.jpg

finascores.jpg

Great match, Ryan. Thank you and crew for all the hard work. Is there a link to all the pictures that were taken?

Jim

Thank you Big Dog Steel for putting on the match. Big thanks to the RO's. That was my first trip to K&M and I definitely enjoyed. My father was not very thrilled when I got home and informed him that he would be driving a tractor, pulling a trailer with a piece of steel so I could practice movers, though.

I've got some pictures of a few of the stage descriptions but not all. Maybe 5 of them. I'll post up when I get off work.

I gotta give a shout-out to Big Dog for this target. For those if you that weren't there... the plates fall off of the wheel when you hit them, which in turn causes the wheel to spin from the weight imbalance.

It takes a really sick and evil mind to come up with this shit. The craftsmanship was aircraft quality. Nicely done guys.

829-bd-hex-target.jpg

Attachments

• 829-bd-hex-target.jpg
    829-bd-hex-target.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 21
Buy the target and practice on it until you have mastered it and then the rest would be pretty easy. At least that's my plan because my pistol shooting needs some definite improvement.

Write your name on it! If everyone marked their stuff there would be a lot less things "missing". Someone picked up my ear pro...why? Because it didn't have my name on it and they probably don't have their name on theirs. I never wear them at matches because they get in the way for me when I'm on my rifle, so the one time I wear them anywhere else besides my home range... *poof*
[MENTION=16593]Big Dog Steel[/MENTION] Ryan, you never found your ear pro? You go to all the effort to dream up the stages, make the targets, haul them to BFE Florida, work the whole match, and someone boosts your Leights? WTF?!? Well, someone's running around with a nice TAB bag that has "Charlie Papa" written on it from awhile back, too.

What's your email, Ryan? I got you a $5 Midway gift certificate and will send it to you. If a few other sympathetic competitors will do the same, please, you can get another set.

Damn it almost makes me look like I know wtf I'm doing with a pistol!