• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2014 GAP GRIND/BUSHNELL PRO/AM hosted by K&M PRT (29-31 August)

Shannon, is this a true "team match" or a pairing of pro and amateur but scored as individuals?

We should all wear name tags, to get to know each other....I'm bad with names

Last edited:
2 Questions
1) What is the expected round count?
2) Has anyone claimed EddieG as a partner?

Anyone from Virginia attending this? I'd be interested in going assuming I could find a carpool to make the drive.

Scratch that, just ran some numbers, and doesn't look like I'll be able to come up with the entry fee in time :/ Or can I? It's going to be a mad race to Sunday morning!

Sign ups start tomorrow morning, not Sunday. Shannon moved the registration date up. You will probably have at least a few days to get signed up, but I won't be surprised if this match fill up in under a week.

Eek! The OP says june 1st! Thats a game changer!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Yeah, there's a post from Shannon on the first page stating the new date. Someone really should edit the original post to reflect the correct date of tomorrow.

I really want to do this badly. I'll have to talk my wife into it, but this is exactly what I have been waiting for and would like to attend. I shot my first very local rifle match (8 guys) last month and know that this is something I will enjoy tremendously. I've yet to shoot movers and expect that to be a challenge since we have none here to practice on. However, I've shot IDPA movers before, so hopefully that will translate somewhat.

Don't convince your wife to let you go, BRING HER!!! My husband introduced me to the sport and now I am hooked. I volunteered at the 2014 K&M PRC, could not have met a nicer group of people, male and female. Even if she does not enjoy shooting, she will learn a lot about the sport and why you love it. Worst case - If she doesn't like it she can hang out by the pool at the hotel. I will be happy to introduce her to everyone so she doesn't feel out of place. I am shooting this one or I would offer to show her the ropes.:eek:

If I make registration in time Ill be bringing my fiance along as well. Being a non shooter I hope she can find something to do to enjoy herself.

P.s. she just found out this morning that we are expecting!!!

Don't convince your wife to let you go, BRING HER!!! My husband introduced me to the sport and now I am hooked. I volunteered at the 2014 K&M PRC, could not have met a nicer group of people, male and female. Even if she does not enjoy shooting, she will learn a lot about the sport and why you love it. Worst case - If she doesn't like it she can hang out by the pool at the hotel. I will be happy to introduce her to everyone so she doesn't feel out of place. I am shooting this one or I would offer to show her the ropes.:eek:
Thank you. I'm working on that. She does shoot some, but rarely and hasn't been bit by the bug yet. Thanks for the invite and I will show her your offer. I hope to see you all there!

This thread says 10 CST, but I just checked & registration is live, so I registered.

Just paid for myself and the husband, it's official!!!!!!

I wasn't nervous until I paid.:rolleyes:

Ahhhhh wish i had the money for this today!!! This may be the one of the last opportunities I have for a while with a little one on the way!

Just paid for myself and the husband, it's official!!!!!!

I wasn't nervous until I paid.:rolleyes:

Don't be Nervous I'm sure you'll be just SPINE!!!

Can't wait until the Grind Pro-Am........
To anyone that is still on the fence....

It is the most fun you can have while still wearing clothes!!!!

I would highly recommend it...

If I make registration in time Ill be bringing my fiance along as well. Being a non shooter I hope she can find something to do to enjoy herself.

P.s. she just found out this morning that we are expecting!!!

Congratulations on becoming a father. Better start saving for his/her precision rifle now!

Well, I was waiting for 11:00 EST, but it's all right now. I've paid and now I just need to make sure I can get the time off as it will be tight, what with another grandson on the way, first for my son in Austin.

Also, I've asked that K&M pair me with a pro, since I do not know any yet. Anyone interested in pairing with someone who needs lots of practice between now and then in positional shooting? Oh and I've not shot movers yet, as mentioned on first page. I've got a competitive nature, but always enjoy myself no matter what.

Is it August yet? :)

Registered! Sponsored by my father after I told him he was going to have a new grandbaby to spoil rotten! I just took over dibs on last place!

Registered! Sponsored by my father after I told him he was going to have a new grandbaby to spoil rotten! I just took over dibs on last place!

Hell No Dude, I called that shit 1st. You'll just have to find another slot. You seen the movie Major League??? We'll be the Grind equivalent of the Indians in that movie. You may as well go on and accept that fact now.

Hell No Dude, I called that shit 1st. You'll just have to find another slot. You seen the movie Major League??? We'll be the Grind equivalent of the Indians in that movie. You may as well go on and accept that fact now.

Well considering I've not at this point ever shot a competitive match, or anything really beyond about 400 yards (I can drop deer in their tracks like a champ though), I'm pretty sure it will be a fight to finish last! I am going to Bang Steel this weekend and using one of their loaner rifles. Hopefully I'll have my rifle back for their match on June 14th, so at least I'll get a little experience in before making a fool of myself in Florida.

Hey, somebody's got to shore up the bottom end of the scoreboard. I'll help you guys out, OK?

Glad to see the positive attitude, even if some of you are a bit pessimistic on your scoring chances.

I got my registration in at lunch today. I get the feeling this one is going to sell out very quickly.

I'm wondering if there is any place to just camp out at the K&M facility. I have no problems staying in a tent for a few nights.

We got our slots this morning...

I wish I could win a championship in some professional sport so when the announcer asked me...

"And Map-it and what do you plan to doing next??"

I could say...

"To heck with Disney World!! I'm going to the K&M GAP Grind Pro-Am!!!!"

I'm kindof curious as to the rate at which folks are registering.. They should have a counter on their webpage, with perhaps the remaining number of slots open for each division.

Shannon, is this a true "team match" or a pairing of pro and amateur but scored as individuals?

We should all wear name tags, to get to know each other....I'm bad with names

Actually, I like this idea. It's not as needed at a normal match, but I think it would be a good idea for the Pro-Am.

I'm wondering if there is any place to just camp out at the K&M facility. I have no problems staying in a tent for a few nights.

Not really. Parking is pretty tight, and the only good grassy areas for a tent is smack in the middle of the 300 yard paper range and the 940 yard steel range. There are some public camping areas near the range, though, in the Blackwater River State Forest.

For the folks that have never been to K&M, be warned - there is no running water, the only electricity is by generator, and the nearest fast food place is 30+ minutes away by car. There is also very limited cell phone reception in the area. It's a top of the line shooting facility, but it is definitely in the middle of nowhere.

I'm kindof curious as to the rate at which folks are registering.. They should have a counter on their webpage, with perhaps the remaining number of slots open for each division.

Shannon or George will probably post in the next few days with an update. In all honesty, if there are still more than a handful of slots available by the end of next weekend, I will be shocked.

I had a mouse in chew a few holes through the tent already, whats a few bullet holes gonna hurt? :)

Bullet holes or no, Shannon and Bryan are highly unlikely to allow camping at the range. Like I said, though, there are campgrounds available a few miles away. If you really want to tent camp it, then Hurricane Lake will be your best bet.

I signed up yesterday morning. I haven't been to a competition since K&M's first "Panhandle Shooters" match a couple years ago. I came in dead last on that one. My goal now is NOT dead last. But from the sound of it I'll have a fight for 119th place.

Besides Hurricane Lake you can also look at Bear Lake and Krul Lake. Both of those are 5-7 miles further from the range but still within 15 mins. All 3 of the places are first come first serve and with it being Labor Day weekend they will probably feel up fast. I'm planning on pulling the popup over on Wed/Thurs and spend some time with the family at the campground and Munson pool(Krul Lake) before the comp.

Shooters,

Sign up is going well. Tons of new shooters! We need a few more pros as of now, but we still have slots open for both.

We are thinking of doing different colored shirts for the PROs and AMs, but printed them same. If the pros wore tan and the AMs wore OD, then everyone would know who to help and/or who to go to with questions. We want everyone, regardless of the team to assist each other. We might do hats instead, that way you can wear them all weekend. Ill let you know. Name tags will be worn too.

It will be scored as individuals and a teams.

No camping on the range fellas. A lit more liability, then I want to assume. There are some good campgrounds near by. Plank is all over it, he knows his way around the place and how I run things. THX Plank! It is tough for me to get here and post with my schedule.

Don't worry about who is shooting for last. One person/team will win and one person/team will finish last. Everyone else will be in between. Nothing to worry about, come have fun and learn. Quite a few shooters will be surprised when we ask them to shoot as a pro. Everyone thinks their terrible, its crazy. We have many guys that have never shot a match at all in this one. It is going to be a blast!

Shannon

We'll I finally bite the bullet and signed up. Never been in any type of competition, so kinda unsure of what to expect. I guess ya gotta pop your cherry sooner or later! I just hope I don't make whoever my partner is look bad.

Jeff

I will be one of those guys Shannon is talking about that has never shot a match and I'm stoked to get in on this one. Plus, it's always a good time at K&M. I've done plenty of RO'ing out there and you're always surrounded by a good group of people!!

We'll I finally bite the bullet and signed up. Never been in any type of competition, so kinda unsure of what to expect. I guess ya gotta pop your cherry sooner or later! I just hope I don't make whoever my partner is look bad.

Jeff

I will be one of those guys Shannon is talking about that has never shot a match and I'm stoked to get in on this one. Plus, it's always a good time at K&M. I've done plenty of RO'ing out there and you're always surrounded by a good group of people!!

Both of you guys will have a blast at this I'm sure. I shot my first match (Bang Steel) over the weekend and came in second place... from last :) I did have a ball, and although I was shooting a load I would ordinarily not be running in my rifle, with a loaner scope and ZERO dope data I did manage to score a few hits.

Now I need to find a decent scope that I can afford between now and the end of August :/

Shooters,

Sign up is going well. Tons of new shooters! We need a few more pros as of now, but we still have slots open for both.

We are thinking of doing different colored shirts for the PROs and AMs, but printed them same. If the pros wore tan and the AMs wore OD, then everyone would know who to help and/or who to go to with questions. We want everyone, regardless of the team to assist each other. We might do hats instead, that way you can wear them all weekend. Ill let you know. Name tags will be worn too.

It will be scored as individuals and a teams.

No camping on the range fellas. A lit more liability, then I want to assume. There are some good campgrounds near by. Plank is all over it, he knows his way around the place and how I run things. THX Plank! It is tough for me to get here and post with my schedule.

Don't worry about who is shooting for last. One person/team will win and one person/team will finish last. Everyone else will be in between. Nothing to worry about, come have fun and learn. Quite a few shooters will be surprised when we ask them to shoot as a pro. Everyone thinks their terrible, its crazy. We have many guys that have never shot a match at all in this one. It is going to be a blast!

Shannon

Any time, sir.

Jeff

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Plenty of pros have popped into the thread and can help you out - along with a few semi-educated newbies like myself.

Oh, hell... you're shooting this? I'm screwed.... :D

Both of you guys will have a blast at this I'm sure. I shot my first match (Bang Steel) over the weekend and came in second place... from last :) I did have a ball, and although I was shooting a load I would ordinarily not be running in my rifle, with a loaner scope and ZERO dope data I did manage to score a few hits.

Now I need to find a decent scope that I can afford between now and the end of August :/

I'll be honest, you could still do well at K&M with a basic fixed 10x scope so long as it has a reticle that allows for leads and holdovers (mildot is fine), and preferably you have the reticle and scope adjustments in the same measurement system (ie: mil/mil or moa/moa). 10x can definitely let you make hits out to 940, and it's still not terrible for closer shots.

I'll be honest, you could still do well at K&M with a basic fixed 10x scope so long as it has a reticle that allows for leads and holdovers (mildot is fine), and preferably you have the reticle and scope adjustments in the same measurement system (ie: mil/mil or moa/moa). 10x can definitely let you make hits out to 940, and it's still not terrible for closer shots.

Yeah thats the plan if I can't come up with some optics capital before the June 28th match at peacemaker. At that point it will be SWFA or bust...

Last edited:
Yeah thats the plan if I can come up with some optics capital before the June 28th match at peacemaker. At that point it will be SWFA or bust...

I have heard a lot of good things about the SWFA fixed 10x scopes. You might want to do some research and then toss up a thread in the optics section to start getting some ideas.

The plan right now is come up with $1600 for a Bushnell ERS, but if that dont pan out I will probably be going SWFA per quite a few recomendations. Getting my faulty viper PA replaced by Vortex for resale would buy me the swfa I believe.

I shot my first match at the K&M precision rifle match at the end of May. It was an excellent learning experience. Any pros looking for a partner I live locally and can meet at K&M to practice before the match as well I'm shooting a 6.5 creedmoor. I am signing up either way but to know my partner prior would be great.

I have heard a lot of good things about the SWFA fixed 10x scopes. You might want to do some research and then toss up a thread in the optics section to start getting some ideas.
I've competed in several matches with an SWFA 10x, including the Mammoth Sniper Challenge where I finished in the top quarter of the field with that glass. It's hardly ideal, but it IS doable. I have a Vortex PST on order, but for right now the SWFA is doing the job!

LOL so....anyone want anything from Amsterdam? Gonna be fresh off the plane for this match :)

Shooters,

I just sent an email out to the amateurs. In the next few weeks I will publish a roster with pairings and we will begin to finalize the teams. We want to get these out by July so you can make training coordinations with your assigned partner for the tune-up. If you didn't receive an email, you are signed up as a pro, or full team. A few guys (who I knew) I switched over to the pro side on my own. We are short few pros and are looking to move more experienced guys over. We have quite a few new shooters that have zero experience.

Expect the Amateur registration to be closed soon. The PRO and full team registration should be open a bit longer. We currently have numbers for 57 teams, but will exceed the 60 team limit by a few.

Send me any questions you have, emails are better then PMs.

Also, if you have any issues with your email address being shared with only the guys that are competing you need to let me know. That is how we are going to put you in contact with your partner.

Shannon