• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 2018 Hunting Thread - Post your pictures!

Got my freezer deer in the freezer and looking for a nice buck now. Some yotes died along the way. Have some potential targets...

Attachments

• IMG_20181201_180551.jpg
    IMG_20181201_180551.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20181201_180645.jpg
    IMG_20181201_180645.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20181201_180622.jpg
    IMG_20181201_180622.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: WoobieJ
Another coyote this morning with the Tikka 22-250. 45grn hollow points at 4050 fps, sure mess them up.

Attachments

• 20181203_120359.jpg
    20181203_120359.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 44
Can you just butcher them out like beeves? Sorry I've never cut up an Elk.
I did the gutless method and quartered him up. Then took that took my local guy who does a basic cut and wrap for a reasonable price. Plus he can do summer sausage or pepperoni sticks which is nice to have too.

Reactions: CJS-6.5
Literally counting down. Officially done Friday (grades wise) and i'm about to live in the woods for the rest of December. Hunting rig is being well...renovated so i'll be lugging the 17lb Tempest around. Meanwhile this is behind my shop..fuckkkk school.
IMG_3814.JPG

I was wondering if you were going to pipe in... ;) Good job by the boy!
He's becoming a very productive hunter. 1 elk 2 deer this year 3 shots fired. The birds are giving him a little trouble, he knocked feathers off of three pheasants the other day but none hit the ground. It is his last week of middle school wrestling so we are going to hit the upland /waterfowl hard next week.

PS. thanks again for the Timney trigger, that little creedmoor is what the boy has been using to help fill the freezer.

Reactions: MarinePMI
My good friend Doug nabbed his first deer ever today.
I went in to work early and left at 2. We headed to a spot I have been thinking of hunting for years and we boyh had a late season tag.
Left the truck at 1440, saw first deer at 300 yds at 1442. In a less than desireable position though legal to shoot so we walked in a bit.
Saw several more groups including 4 nice does at 225 yds just hanging out. There were several more groups so we kept moving towards a good shooting spot. Got in and watched for a bit and then Doug built his shooting position.
I ranged again, called his hold, and watched through my binos as he let a 143 ELDX fly from his new Tikka t3 in 6.5 CM with a VX-6 2-12 at 168 yds.
She bucked and lept, then rolled down the hill a long ways towards where we needed her to be.
Double lung and the bottom half of her heart was obliterated.
Caught the front leg a tad, lost about 2-3 lbs of meat.
Pretty stoked for my friend. We gutted her (would have quartered but he didnt have game bags) and dragged her out.
80 minutes truck to truck.
Back at his place we checked out his new AR pistol, the quartered her up and into the cooler while testing a couple IPAs.
Awesome day with my buddy. His wife is so dang happy and excited for him. (Boy is gonna get his ashes hauled serious like tonight ?)
I am headed out Sat to do the same.
A3B18DB9-E1AF-49CC-95E0-59EA2CA35A40.jpeg

57F66EA9-F22E-4255-922E-F9D80BC5A4D6.jpeg

Attachments

• 365FEA81-F6EC-445F-9823-A008626E4C7B.jpeg
    365FEA81-F6EC-445F-9823-A008626E4C7B.jpeg
    652.3 KB · Views: 37
I had the best season I’ve ever had this year and I didn’t even shoot a buck. I was able to take both my boys hunting several times this year and my 6 year old son was able to tag his first buck during Oklahoma youth weekend. He used my (his) 6 creedmoor built by Jon Beanland and dropped him at 93 yards. I did manage to tag a pig at 80 yards and a coyote at 430.

Last edited:
Today started early and no deer out walking around. I blame it on the damp cold. 20F and a solid breeze.
We found a sheltered spot and waited for the sun to peak over the mountains yo warm us up. We had great visual of a lot of terrain and still nothing.
I walked around a bit at times to keep some blood flowing in my feet. I was in beefy hikers with merino socks so not overly warm holding still.
Saw a group of 7 deer including a nice buck about 1100 yds out and way above us up on a ridge. We discussed if they would be gone after we climbed 1000 feet and closed the gap over steep terrain covered in nasty scrub brush and loose rock.
Being a bit of a masochist regarding rough mountain travel, I said we should go for it.
We got to where we could see a few of them in the scrubs a while later. We stalked within about 285 yds and found a spot to shoot from.
My buddy voted I shoot due to my confidence at that range. Took about 30 minutes of watching close for a good angle and clear shot. The group didnt run after I dropped mine, so my buddy hopped into the spot I shot from (only spot where we were) and got set. I ranged and called his drop and he nailed the shot and dropped his deer as well.
The hike out with all our gear and a deer each in the pack was wild. Thank goodness for all the gym and running.....

My buddy did note that his Ebelestock sucked for carrying that weight.
My Kifaru was solid. The same steep, loose terrain caused enough grief.....

D5BD8961-A261-47EB-BB1B-3B13C3AF1A90.jpeg
4B52CFA0-5330-4D5D-B12C-FB31E354BA34.jpeg
EEB427C2-0991-4A0F-860F-2576DFE1A70A.jpeg
92073C02-EF73-4275-8AAC-596F0577361D.jpeg
FC99EDB5-59FE-401D-9488-9C1C696671A5.jpeg

This guy comes with a ridiculous story....

5 minutes after shooting light I looked at a food plot about 600 yards away and spotted a few bucks and a couple doe on a beet field. I was set up in a tree stand and didn’t have my tripod or bipod since I was set up for an off hand shot. I have a 10 minute rule with regards to shooting light, I generally won’t consider shooting during that time if I can’t tell a 3 year old vs 4. This situation left me with little doubt as I was 100% sure the buck I saw was 170+ And he had a bachelor group with him. I get down and run using hay bales and trees for cover. I get behind a bale and lay down to roll into the prone position. SURPRISE, there was a doe 5 yards from me, she blows and runs. I get setup prone supported and didn’t realize I was breathing out of my mouth all over my reticle in 20 degree weather. So my reticle is fogged, illumination Gets a lot brighter with the fogged glass. I’m looking over my rig and see bone in the same spot and let the 7RM fly, he drops like a cow that got tipped. I call my outfitter all excited exclaming I shot a Booner. I walk up and about threw up, I shot a 136” 3 year old in the heat of the moment. Never been so happy and pissed in the same minute. Needless to say I was the source many “size” jokes in deer camp the rest of the trip. He said it happens to everyone and if it hasn’t to some it will. Still had a great time and now all my freezers are full. Side note the wife shot a 163” earlier in the year so she’s busting my balls about our numbers being reversed 163 and 136, gotta love coming in second with the wife, most of the time that’s how it’s supposed to be right? Lol

EC2E01C9-5A08-43C7-A0A2-E9FA670E6EA3.jpeg

ETA: After processing this guy we found that he had a puncture wound that went into his brain. He would not have made it another month or two. That is what the green pus is all over his right eye. My outfitter sent a trail cam pic of this guy and he must have shed 75-100 lbs since the injury. He was a six year old. Guess it’s good he was taken since he’s never going to be a monster and would have been coyote food soon. Here he is on the hoof.

C54C5C09-02AA-4EFB-9651-C4578D86F484.jpeg

Last edited:
It was a super cold (17°F) morning, but I finally harvested my first deer last Friday. He ended up being the exact buck I wanted from the trail cams. I put a lot of work in for this. 6 months of land management finally paid off. 300 Blackout, hornady full boar ammo from 83 yards. He came right behind me and sniffed my backpack! I thought he was a squirrel, turned around to scare it, and there’s a buck standing 2’ away from me. I didn’t see a darn deer for 10 days in a row. Second to last day of rifle season (PA), and I managed to harvest him
A97829EF-32BD-4F26-8709-39436817AE3A.jpeg
FFC0C178-1BF2-45F8-829C-880EE95D8E25.jpeg
20E31407-7C29-419C-8AB7-B9620B431301.jpeg

Last weekend was a good weekend for my 9 year old daughter and I.
The Buck was a 90 yard shot with a Browning A-Bolt .308 that I bought for my dad in 1991 for his birthday and to start hunting with him in Missouri. I mounted a Burris 3-9x40 on it and sighted it in, shooting three shot groups about 3/4” center to center.
When I gave him the rifle, I told him that it was even though it was his birthday present, I was laying claim to this rifle and that he was only borrowing it. He reluctantly agreed to my terms.
I also was making knives at that time so I made him a stag handled skinning knife with an ATS 34 blade.
He got sick with pancreatic cancer in 2011 and on the last visit to his house before he went on hospice, he took me to his gun cabinet, took out several shotguns that were family heirlooms, the knife I made for him and the A-Bolt.
It was at that moment that I knew roar he had come to terms with the fact that he was dying and there was nothing that was going to change that. I went in the guest bedroom and got it out of my system with my wife there to comfort me in my moment of realization of his mortality.
I took our rifle, the knife I made for him and his only blood grandchild hunting this weekend, shot my first buck and she shot her first and second bucks ( Blackbucks at that ).

I can only hope that we have done his memory proud.

96861570-C844-4EE9-8637-3D22CFB4E88A.jpeg

EE798036-AE7E-4125-9741-A64027100CA4.jpeg

31FDE6C2-F7EC-4C86-9A37-A0440996176F.jpeg

5990FDBB-0D4C-4342-BF41-99196DFC2B0A.jpeg

Last edited:
Last weekend was a good weekend for my 9 year old daughter and I.
The Buck was a 90 yard shot with a Browning A-Bolt .308 that I bought for my dad in 1991 for his birthday and to start hunting with him in Missouri. I mounted a Burris 3-9x40 on it and sighted it in, shooting three shot groups about 3/4” center to center.
When I gave him the rifle, I told him that it was even though it was his birthday present, I was laying claim to this rifle and that he was only borrowing it. He reluctantly agreed to my terms.
I also was making knives at that time so I made him a stag handled skinning knife with an ATS 34 blade.
He got sick with pancreatic cancer in 2011 and on the last visit to his house before he went on hospice, he took me to his gun cabinet, took out several shotguns that were family heirlooms, the knife I made for him and the A-Bolt.
It was at that moment that I knew roar he had come to terms with the fact that he was dying and there was nothing that was going to change that. I went in the guest bedroom and got it out of my system with my wife there to comfort me in my moment of realization of his mortality.
I took our rifle, the knife I made for him and his only blood grandchild hunting this weekend, shot my first buck and she shot her first and second bucks ( Blackbucks at that ).

I can only hope that we have done his memory proud.

It sure sounds like it to me. I'm sure your Dad was looking down with a big smile on his face.

What brand is your 10mm? Very nice.
Thank you, it's a home build I did on a Critical Capabilities lower. It's not a blowback like most pistol caliber stuff, the only rough part was figuring out gas port size and location for an 8.5" barrel but quickload helped out with that. I mostly use my nasty handloads in it but with a standard weight carbine buffer and spring and standard weight auto carrier it cycles even weak off the shelf ammo just fine.
Gas block is ugly as hell because I made it from scratch, and only certain handguards will work because of gas block proximity to the barrel nuts, but other than that she's great fine, with or without the can. If anyone is interested I can pop it apart and snap a few pics

Reactions: bullseye13
Got this Savage 99 Featherweight in 300 Sav. at an auction because...……………..well because I didnt have a Savage 99.

Got some dies, loaded a rounds sighted it in and took it out to see what it would do. Fun little rifle. Accurate too.
deer%202018.jpg

That's a sexy rig brother. I have been debating between the KRG Whiskey 3 or this manners stock for weeks. It is such a beautiful stock. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks man! I sure do love it. I’ve heard great things about KRG, I don’t imagine you can go wrong either way, but damn I’m impressed with my manners. :D(y)