• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2020 Rangefinder’s

Sgtvandy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2020
Time to upgrade from my 5 year old Leupold LRF, looking for some advice. My current Leupold digital read outs crapped out but was solid. I guess I was ok with Leupold but man it pisses me off to see made in China on any of my hunting/shooting gear. Is this just the necessary evil with electronic’s?
LRF will be primarily hunting scenarios with a lot of time in bow ranges but I want it to compliment my Proof 6.5PRC rifle hunts. I have a kestrel so don’t need a bunch of extras just want accurate LRF that’s worth the $$$. Thanks for the help

The Leica 2700B is a lot of rangefinder for the money and is available from @gr8fuldoug for $449 at cameralandny.com on closeout. Make sure to let him know you are a SH member.

Reactions: tacops1
if swaros EL range dropped in blue tooth capability inwould snap that up in an instant. as others mentioned the leica units are nice. i have an original vectronix thats been excellent. new terrapin x is compelling.

Reactions: tacops1
I got a set of the Leica 2700b they rock. Not sure how to beat them until you get into the High dollar binos or a terrapin. If Doug still has the $499.00 specials they are a steal.

Anyone have any experience using a Vortex Razor HD 4000 or a Sig Kilo2400bdx? These seem to pop up quite often in threads.
Leupold 2800 RX-2800 tbrw gets some mixed reviews too. Curious to see if anyone has some experiences input for the OP.

Anyone have any experience using a Vortex Razor HD 4000 or a Sig Kilo2400bdx? These seem to pop up quite often in threads.
Leupold 2800 RX-2800 tbrw gets some mixed reviews too. Curious to see if anyone has some experiences input for the OP.

I really like my Vortex HD 4000 and better yet my Fury bino's. I have not had any problem with either of them.

The RX 2800 ranges further than the majority on this forum can shoot and I haven’t had a problem over the last 3 years with it. Just a basic range finder though. No special features.

Too add something... I have a vortex 4000 lrf that I like but they absolutely suck in low light because the entire screen lights up red when you range. Is there other LRFs that have similar ranging capabilities without that huge flaw?

I have the Fury 5000 Vortex, and watching 3 deer at 1053 yards clear enough to see they were all does. It was nearly dark out. I am pretty impressed so far. Reticle is a little big, but for the money I’ve been pretty impressed.

The RX 2800 ranges further than the majority on this forum can shoot and I haven’t had a problem over the last 3 years with it. Just a basic range finder though. No special features.
The 2800 is a really good value.
a mile is easy and I can regularly get 2300-2500 with a tripod.
This is on rocks, trees and steel targets.

if swaros EL range dropped in blue tooth capability inwould snap that up in an instant. as others mentioned the leica units are nice. i have an original vectronix thats been excellent. new terrapin x is compelling.

The old Terrapin, while slow, is 2-3x the range finder of the new Terrapin X FWIW.

The old Terrapin, while slow, is 2-3x the range finder of the new Terrapin X FWIW.
But when they have issues you jist wasted a heap of money. The new one still ranges better than anything else I've used other than every other vectronix

I had a Leupold and mine also gave out after about 5 years. This time I went w Leica and I couldn’t be happier. Much nicer and better built IMO. My Leupold was always finicky. The Leica is just easier to get an accurate reading.

But when they have issues you jist wasted a heap of money. The new one still ranges better than anything else I've used other than every other vectronix

I'm not disagreeing, I just wish I never would have sold my old one to get the new one.

Anyone who wants to can laugh at me or call me a “poors” but my new bushnell prime 1300 has served really well at the range and now just about through an entire MI deer season, and the 6x glass is a pretty decent mono ocular, wooed in the bush in snow and rain and freezing rain. Cost under $200 and won’t break my heart of feelings when eventually it falls from a tree stand or goes in the creek or swamp. Have ranged deer out to 400 yards- a known 400 yards, and in my AO that’s the absolute top end of shot opportunity- when we travel north longer shots are possible and same for western elk hunting and I expect good service from the Prime there as well and when it tumbles down a rock slide it won’t break my heart or bank.
Keep in mind I’m a year round hunter who occasionally goes to a static range to shoot some long range paper or steel. Your mileage may vary if solely long range shooting is your primary focus. Yotes, fox, deer squirrel rabbit hogs elk feral cats always something to shoot at in the field and it really sharpens one ability to read wind, track , stalk and make hits at various distances.

I just got a Vortex Razor 4000 to upgrade from my old Bushnell DX1300. I have hit buildings in ELR mode out to 4100, so it lives up to the rating on the box. I have not used it in low light, but the brightness adjustment goes very low from what I have seen. It is way overkill for most hunting situations, unless you are ranging how far of a walk it is to get closer to an animal. The glass is very clear, much better than the Bushnell. You might look at the Ranger 1800, should cover any hunting scenario and save you a few $.