• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2022 and newer vehicle warning

A manual trans isn’t fucking magic, people need to stop acting like it’s some mystical bullshit people can’t figure out to feel special

Odds are good a theif can't drive one because if they are computer hacking your car,, they're a gen z or millennial. It's not rocket science but more than a few stocks have been ditched at the end of the block because of it.

Odds are good a theif can't drive one because if they are computer hacking your car,, they're a gen z or millennial. It's not rocket science but more than a few stocks have been ditched at the end of the block because of it.
Spoken like an out of touch boomer. I could drive a manual at a single digit age it’s not rocket science.

Go set up your printer without calling for help if you want to throw around stupidity.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender
Spoken like an out of touch boomer. I could drive a manual at a single digit age it’s not rocket science.

Go set up your printer without calling for help if you want to throw around stupidity.

I'm probably younger than you, douchebag .

But I'm an outlier. Daily drove a manual transmission truck for 18 years.

Reactions: 308pirate
Kill switch that is a factory button like hazards or something that is normally there that they won't touch. I had 2 separate switches on my old toyota, had thrives try to steal it 3x but instead fucked up the interior in a fit of rage. Newest truck is heavily modded, ill be doing some sort of anti theft, but its also from 1996

Just install the classic Fury Road War Rig Startup Sequence!!!
In all honesty the technology in new vehicles is remarkable then stories like these start to surface.....stupid easy to steal if the thief knows what they are doing. Double edge sword I guess.

I'm probably younger than you, douchebag .

But I'm an outlier. Daily drove a manual transmission truck for 18 years.
Doubtful

lots of people drive manual, again you aren’t special.

Reactions: Bender
6281655F-558C-402C-9685-F2EE05851BCE.gif

disable the crank sensor
or the power to the Starter, ECM, BCM, Cam Sensor, Fuel Pump Control Module, ect.

Years back when I was working at the dealership, every once in a while we would get a car in that you would have to turn on the headlights or turn on the turn signal to get the engine started. I thought that was pretty ingenious as it's actually very easy to remember and would make it way harder to steal. Wasn't sure if it was some kind of security system or module that made it do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLEE and schroed62
Doubtful

lots of people drive manual, again you aren’t special.
Not gen z or x or xyz... or whatever the fuck they are now. Soon there will be no more manuals in the US. Had to order my car in manual, or else only automatics.

Last edited:
Reactions: stefan73
Not gen z or x or xyz... or whatever the fuck they are now. Soon there will be more more manuals in the US. Had to order my car in manual, or else only automatics.
Most everyone I've ever known well could drive stick, again it isn't magic.

Not buying doesn't equal inability to drive, unless you're just considering personal bias.

X2 on the revalco. You aren’t starting that truck without the plug, that’s a fact. Works on any vehicle type, including tractors and construction equipment.

I do like this idea about wiring it so a random button has to be pushed for the truck to start. That’s a pretty ingenious idea without having to carry around anything extra.

X2 on the revalco. You aren’t starting that truck without the plug, that’s a fact. Works on any vehicle type, including tractors and construction equipment.

I do like this idea about wiring it so a random button has to be pushed for the truck to start. That’s a pretty ingenious idea without having to carry around anything extra.
Cartels can hook you up with the cheat code start buttons, or secret compartments lol

Geezus, stop rapin each other in the doo doo hole and just say a fair percentage of the younger generations wont know what to do with a manual transmission.

And in other news just buy pre 1988 cars they don't have that emission crap in em ;)

The trick is, is to drive a 20 year 6.0 diesel, by the time the motherfucker warms up enough to spool the turbo so it’ll move, you done made coffee, put your boots on and kindly walked outside to politely aerate whoever the fuck is dumb enough to try and steal your pickup.

They use a range extender to get into the vehicle. Basically your vehicle and your FOB is always giving out a signal. Now if the thieves can use that signal to open the vehicle, because with most vehicles now away all you have to do is to push the button or pull on the door handle if it can recognize the FOB. Stellantis vehicles are easier to steal since it don't need the keys in the car to start it. I think Ford is the same way too, been a while since I worked at Ford and wasn't there when they came out with push button start. Only reason I know this because one of my good friends works in Auto Theft. Been to the lot, and there are a lot of new Challengers, Chargers, Jeeps there. You can't start a GM push button start vehicle without the key physically inside. And even then, there are some blank areas inside the vehicle that it won't pick up the FOB. There are 3 antennas inside the car that knows where that FOB is at. Anyone here with a GM push button start car can hold their keys barely outside the door and push the start button, the vehicle shouldn't start. But with GM vehicles, they steal them with a blank VIN ECM. It takes about 60 seconds to swap out.
This is exactly how organized car thief rings operate.

A new key fob is made.

Faraday key fob pouch.

Wisdompro Faraday Bag for Key Fob, WP4694 RFID Key Fob Protector​

I don't know if it actually works but the advice I got from my State-Trooper-turned-criminology-professor was to drive a flashy car. His logic was that car thieves don't want to take something that's easy to spot. I don't know if I believe that but I added it to the list of reasons I want a Mustang. lol.

I don't know if it actually works but the advice I got from my State-Trooper-turned-criminology-professor was to drive a flashy car. His logic was that car thieves don't want to take something that's easy to spot. I don't know if I believe that but I added it to the list of reasons I want a Mustang. lol.
Might want to tell that to all the Hellcat and SRT owners. The police lots are full of stolen Dodges. I also know of plenty of CTS-Vs and Camaros that were stolen too.

None of this would be an issue if it wasn't for the good folks sitting on their hands while Soros and other NWO front men completely gut the actual important part of our law enforcement and criminal justice system while at the same time turning those same systems into tyrannical oppression regimes against good citizens or anyone not wanting to be a victim of crime.

When I drove a old truck I had a second hidden dimmer switch in a spot you’d never look under the carpet.
I had a kid (only 5 years younger than me) ask, what the floor thing was.. and HOW i was able to DIM the lights without moving my hands

• Haha
Reactions: SBRSarge and BLEE
This is exactly how organized car thief rings operate.

A new key fob is made.

Faraday key fob pouch.

Wisdompro Faraday Bag for Key Fob, WP4694 RFID Key Fob Protector​

I believe this is an inaccurate video.
They are copying the signals when you USE your key to open the door. If you take the key out of the pouch to open door...
They copy the signals.

I believe this is an inaccurate video.
They are copying the signals when you USE your key to open the door. If you take the key out of the pouch to open door...
They copy the signals.
This is the most likely answer. Look up a device called the “flipper zero”. There are people making this shit was to east for shitbags to steal honest peoples stuff.

And to add to this. If your vehicle has proximity doors, you don’t even have to have your key out. Your vehicle will sense your key within a set distance to it and begin communicating

Had a family member have the exact same thing happen to his 2018 GMC Sierra Denali so it’s not just 2022 and newer. I thought maybe it was a GM only issue until now…

Also on this, I’ve had common thieves break
Into both my 2016 ram 3500, has the keyless FOB and proximity door handles, which was 100% for a fact locked, and they unlocked it, and also to my wife’s 2018 Toyota 4Runner. Both vehicles were locked and they had some type of doodad that got into both of them without making the alarms go off. Caught one of them when the headlights turned on when they unlocked my 3500.

I am finally where I have some time to do some typing on a keyboard and wanted to post this for discussion or warning...

Last weekend (Saturday night to be exact) a buddy had his brand new (less than a week, paper plates still on it) F250 Diesel stolen out of a parking lot in Naples, Fl. It was hooked to his newish (less than 6 months old) trailer. That had is beautifully-restored 1949 Cadillac in it. Convertible, no less. On his way to a charity car show.

According to the police (he is a retired Orlando officer, BTW), the thieves cloned his key from the parking lot. May even have followed his rig TO the parking lot. They got the signal off his key (apparently you can do that from as far away as 500 feet with a new fob and new batteries). In 43 seconds after getting in the vehicle, they had disabled the Tracker (aka On Star or similar). And the whole rig is gone. Officers said that 2022 and newer vehicles have a 'weakness.'

My guess is the truck and car are in containers to Asia or Middle East and the trailer is off to landscapers. Also that the new keys are easily cloned or that a VIN can be matched with a code. Maybe from a database stolen from Mfg's... or from Chinese Key Fob Makers... and floating around dark web. Plug a Laptop into the OBD-II port and replace software or simply flip electronic switches. Drive truck away to a shipping port or warehouse...

Not sure if any of you tech wizards know more. Or if my assumptions are right/wrong/loony? Or if anyone is hearing about incidents like this. But now definitely making me nervous about a 'Push Button Key' and clone tech.

Guess it's time to get The Club or one of those "steering wheel to brake" bar lock thingies. Which can be disabled in seconds with bolt cutters through steering wheel... but maybe it makes thieves just go to the next truck. Or maybe we need to boot them now... trailers, too.

Getting tired of crime running both rampant and going unpunished. Texas used to have a saying "There's more men that need hanging, than there are horses that need 'stealin."

Time for the return of the necktie party, methinks.

Sirhr
Same thing happened to a friend's 2017 F350 about two years ago. Talked to a guy at the dealership and he was pretty convinced it had to be inside information to get access to the key info to make it work with the truck but all that stuff is done over the internet now. You just have to know how to get hold of it.

• Angry
Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Did you read the post? It's not magic for anyone.
Is it magic like the erect on a SN3 T-PAL? Nope, but to kids these days with their lack of experience it sure as hell seems to be (is it really magic, no). I think there are two maybe three in my volunteer fire department that know how to drive a stick and we are all older. I watched my fire chief toss the keys to a twenty something year old after asking him to move her truck. He got in, looked around for a minute and got out and said he doesn't know how to drive that.

If you've been on a farm with tractors you have some experience, if you drive older cars you might have some experience, if you are a trucker you have experience, a motorcycle the experience transfers (except for dumbass's).

In 2020 the automotive industry reported that only 2.4% of sales were for vehicles with a manual transmission an in 2018 it was 3.7%. Fact is people that drive a manual transmission and know how to drive one are the minority. Don't even get me started on trying to teach a kid how and why to double clutch in a non-synchronized transmission:eek:

If you can't find em, grind em:D

Crude video I made for someone about The Club.

The hard part was holding the phone between my knees...

For a college project we had to do a "how to" brief to our class. My friends decided to demonstrate how to break into a car and picked the instructors car. He was not amused, especially not amused when it only took them a couple of seconds.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Man, as a car enthusiast going back to when I was a kid in the 70s/80s, this is a really depressing time. Not only is the quality of cars today complete and total shit, they are not worth even remotely near what they cost. A fucking F150, Ram, Silverado, Tundra for $60K-$80K plus? Are you kidding? Basically the same fucking thing that sold a few years ago for half that? I can't understand who would pay that for the crap quality they are producing. Plus the electric bullshit that can't hold a candle to an ICE, especially in cold climates and when put to serious work. No thanks. I'll be keeping my 10 year old trucks until the wheels fall off.

Man, as a car enthusiast going back to when I was a kid in the 70s/80s, this is a really depressing time. Not only is the quality of cars today complete and total shit, they are not worth even remotely near what they cost. A fucking F150, Ram, Silverado, Tundra for $60K-$80K plus? Are you kidding? Basically the same fucking thing that sold a few years ago for half that? I can't understand who would pay that for the crap quality they are producing. Plus the electric bullshit that can't hold a candle to an ICE, especially in cold climates and when put to serious work. No thanks. I'll be keeping my 10 year old trucks until the wheels fall off.
Very true. Many trucks can't handle the cold, at all. Having lived in Alaska and watching three of my vehicles among friends vehicles have issues (thanks for not using Arctic grade wiring insulation:mad:).

Why is there always this much drama. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I call BS. Just went out to my 2022 F350. Placed the fob physically and visually within 10' of the truck. I cannot open the doors, or tailgate. Placed the fob within 5' of the tailgate....still can't open either the tailgate or the doors. Placed the fob within 3' of the tailgate, opened the tailgate. Left the fob with 3' of the tailgate, went to the passenger side front door, door will not open. At no time did I have the fob in my physical possession. It was in sight of the vehicle or within the distances as I indicated above sitting in the open.

My limited high school education cannot provide an answer to the following:
1) IF the fob was an ACTIVE transmitter, just how much RF power is output/used??
2) HOW does the vehicle know that the fob IS NOT at the passenger side front door??
At my life experience best possible answer: The fob is a PASSIVE RFID device. The vehicle has a transmitter, inside that transmission area there are identified zones. RFID (hence fob) enters the area, the system IDs the RFID, establishes RFID presence is inside which "zone" and ONLY allows the locks (or whatever) to operate within that "zone". Cause that's pretty much what I just did in my driveway.

RFID has LONG been used in manfacturing and distributing.

From the Google Master AI:
Active RFID tags use one of two main frequencies — either 433 MHz or 915 MHz — to transmit information. They contain three main parts, including a tag, antenna, and interrogator. The battery in an active RFID tag should supply enough power to last for 3-5 years. When it dies, the unit will need replaced, as the batteries are not currently replaceable. There are two main kinds of active RFID tags: beacons and transponders. Beacons send out an information ping every few seconds, and their signal is readable from several hundreds of feet away. Because they are sending out data so frequently, their battery tends to deplete quicker. Like passive RFID tags, transponders require the use of a reader to transmit information. When within range of one another, a reader first sends out a signal to the transponder, which then pings back with the relevant information. Because they only activate when near a reader, transponders are much more battery-efficient than beacons.

So either your fob will die in 3-5 years....OR it's purely a passive RFID.

Passive RFID tags use three main frequencies to transmit information: 125 – 134 KHz, also known as Low Frequency (LF), 13.56 MHz, also known as High Frequency (HF) and Near-Field Communication (NFC), and 865 – 960 MHz, also known as Ultra High Frequency (UHF). The frequency used affects the tag’s range. When a passive RFID tag is scanned by a reader, the reader transmits energy to the tag which powers it enough for the chip and antenna to relay information back to the reader. The reader then transmits this information back to an RFID computer program for interpretation. There are two main types of passive RFID tags: inlays and hard tags. Inlays are typically quite thin and can be stuck on various materials, whereas hard tags are just as the name suggests, made of a hard, durable material such as plastic or metal.

Remember people a farady cage/faraday pouch works BOTH ways. If it prevents anything from getting out....it's preventing anything from getting in.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI

This is why pulling up stuff on Google doesn't always give you the complete idea, but makes you think it did.
AI is great if what you want is Dunning-Kruger as a service.
The stuff Google is showing you is mostly for inventory scan and control type stuff.

You missed option 3:
Your Fob actually has a small coin cell battery in it that can be replaced.
Most modern ones have replaceable batteries (including the last 2 vehicles I had), because they actually need a fair bit of power.

One of the reasons your fob can tell precise placement is if it uses UWB for communications which allows for very precise location mapping.
UWB positioning which your newer cell phones can often do for finding tags and such, can report sub 1ft differences and exact direction heading.
The better fobs actually need to calculate challenge / response cryptographic messages sent by the vehicle, which also takes power.

If your 2022 fob has remote start (may require a subscription payment to make it work), you'll probably find it has a fair bit of range.

Here is a quick brief overview that just lightly touches on a couple things:

Implementations and security are a big deal and more "budget conscious" makers will take shortcuts.
In addition if your "Dealer service" center is in India or China, well, there is a really good chance some underpaid wage slave is supplementing their income selling the Admin reprogramming codes.
That is probably more common than the slightly more touchy relay attacks.
I'm sure there are tons of discussions on the Dark Web about how every brand works and how to get in and how much you need to pay for the tools and who has the best ones.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
Your Fob actually has a small coin cell battery in it that can be replaced.
I did address that option....mentally...I just didn't post it. :ROFLMAO:

You are saying the fob knows phycial location....it can be the other way around...the vehicle knows where the fob is located.
My fob/truck does have remote start. My only thoughts are I have to press a button sequence so I activate a different frequency range of the fob internals. Hence the battery(batteries) is used for the button functions of the fob, not the RFID (my idea) functions.
For my vehicle: The "subscription" service of a remote start are used inside an app which was setup ONLY when you are inside the truck with the motor running, "connecting" to the truck via (bluetooth/wifi...I can't remember), then submitting a code that pops up on the dash display. Inside the app your VIN has to be entered along with the dash code. Boom. Remote start as well as door lock/unlock capability. Now I can turn off the vehicle "connectivity" feature which will not allow the app to communicate with the truck.

Yea...I remember the days when getting power windows and door locks was a REAL feature. :love::love:💲💲

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
notice-damn.gif

Not going to lie, never used the splitter much at all outside of H/L or L/L when getting unstuck or fine tune positioning for a crane move. Might have shorted myself on some grades when I was driving the boom truck, but I ditched that truck off to a new guy at the first opportunity. I don't miss driving that underpowered piece of shit dragging a backhoe behind it for a minute.

As for manual transmission knowledge, it's Americans as a whole that don't much know how to drive one. Go to Europe and good luck finding a rental car without a MT. And we can "OK, Boomer" this one all we want, but WaPo doesn't do articles like this because they're wizards behind the wheel. https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2023/02/13/gen-z-driving-less-uber/

I've never NOT had a MT as my primary vehicle. I'm looking at a new Taco for my next two decade vehicle, really pissed the MT only comes with the 5' bed length, but have a feeling Toyota will kill the MT all together next gen and let the haters hate. I don't even have fishing rods under 5' (except ice rods), what the fuck good is a truck bed that's only 5'?

This is the most likely answer. Look up a device called the “flipper zero”. There are people making this shit was to east for shitbags to steal honest peoples stuff.

And to add to this. If your vehicle has proximity doors, you don’t even have to have your key out. Your vehicle will sense your key within a set distance to it and begin communicating
This is why I dont use the FOB. It has been happening for years.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Why is there always this much drama. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I call BS. Just went out to my 2022 F350. Placed the fob physically and visually within 10' of the truck. I cannot open the doors, or tailgate. Placed the fob within 5' of the tailgate....still can't open either the tailgate or the doors. Placed the fob within 3' of the tailgate, opened the tailgate. Left the fob with 3' of the tailgate, went to the passenger side front door, door will not open. At no time did I have the fob in my physical possession. It was in sight of the vehicle or within the distances as I indicated above sitting in the open.

My limited high school education cannot provide an answer to the following:
1) IF the fob was an ACTIVE transmitter, just how much RF power is output/used??
2) HOW does the vehicle know that the fob IS NOT at the passenger side front door??
At my life experience best possible answer: The fob is a PASSIVE RFID device. The vehicle has a transmitter, inside that transmission area there are identified zones. RFID (hence fob) enters the area, the system IDs the RFID, establishes RFID presence is inside which "zone" and ONLY allows the locks (or whatever) to operate within that "zone". Cause that's pretty much what I just did in my driveway.

RFID has LONG been used in manfacturing and distributing.

From the Google Master AI:
Active RFID tags use one of two main frequencies — either 433 MHz or 915 MHz — to transmit information. They contain three main parts, including a tag, antenna, and interrogator. The battery in an active RFID tag should supply enough power to last for 3-5 years. When it dies, the unit will need replaced, as the batteries are not currently replaceable. There are two main kinds of active RFID tags: beacons and transponders. Beacons send out an information ping every few seconds, and their signal is readable from several hundreds of feet away. Because they are sending out data so frequently, their battery tends to deplete quicker. Like passive RFID tags, transponders require the use of a reader to transmit information. When within range of one another, a reader first sends out a signal to the transponder, which then pings back with the relevant information. Because they only activate when near a reader, transponders are much more battery-efficient than beacons.

Passive RFID tags use three main frequencies to transmit information: 125 – 134 KHz, also known as Low Frequency (LF), 13.56 MHz, also known as High Frequency (HF) and Near-Field Communication (NFC), and 865 – 960 MHz, also known as Ultra High Frequency (UHF). The frequency used affects the tag’s range. When a passive RFID tag is scanned by a reader, the reader transmits energy to the tag which powers it enough for the chip and antenna to relay information back to the reader. The reader then transmits this information back to an RFID computer program for interpretation. There are two main types of passive RFID tags: inlays and hard tags. Inlays are typically quite thin and can be stuck on various materials, whereas hard tags are just as the name suggests, made of a hard, durable material such as plastic or metal.

Remember people a farady cage/faraday pouch works BOTH ways. If it prevents anything from getting out....it's preventing anything from getting in.
Well, it's a Ford. Does it ever really work?🤷‍♂️

Sorry, had to :LOL: :LOL:

Reactions: HeavyAssault
I’ve heard of people using faraday bags to block cloning signals from thieves like OP stated.