• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear 2023 BigJimFish Reviw/Article blog: Arken, HiLux, Bushnell, Primary Arms, Optisan, nVisti, Sightron, Levels

Jim, great research and testing thank you. Have you considered the Cabela's Cxpro ? It is quite amazing glass. I could not believe for the price. Purchased on sale and with some points fer like 3 bens and its glass clarity is way up there the turret is genius. It was designed by some German engineer MAKpro optics maker. A little research and there is clear evidence in the pics. Good day .

Jim, great research and testing thank you. Have you considered the Cabela's Cxpro ? It is quite amazing glass. I could not believe for the price. Purchased on sale and with some points fer like 3 bens and its glass clarity is way up there the turret is genius. It was designed by some German engineer MAKpro optics maker. A little research and there is clear evidence in the pics. Good day .
Cabela's and Bass Pro no longer seem to want to actually honor their warranty on the scopes.

Update 10-2-2023

The Sightron S6 5-30x56 ED FFP arrived this weekend for review. This is a totally new optical design optimized for Precison rifle use that should feature a larger depth of field and field of view than previous designs. It is a Japanese made scope with a retail of $1.7k so it is not part of the Sub $1k series of scope reviews this year. I will instead be comparing it to a few of the Scopes from the ~$2k reviews a couple years ago such as the Leupold Mark5 HD 5-25x56 and Sig Tango6 5-30x56 as well as the Sightron SIII PLR from last year.

2023 10 2 unboxing.jpg

Sightron S6 5-30x56 ED FFP unboxing

In other news, expect the Bushnell Match Pro ED 5-30x56 review any day now. I finished up writing it last week and have sent it off to Bushnell for any pre-release comments they might have. Not that I expect a whole lot of comment. It is a positive review and companies don’t tend to have a lot of comments on those.

Update 10-12-2023

The Bushnell Match Pro ED 5-30x56mm review is up. Take a look at the elevation knob design on this thing. It’s a locking elevation knob with zero stop and rev indicator with no set screws that is only a hairs breadth from being completely tool-less. You can even easily choose how far below zero it travels. It is a thing of beauty and the new standard for elevation knob design.

2023 10 12 Bushnell match pro crux behind.jpg

Bushnell Match Pro ED 5-30x56mm on Pure Precision Crux rifle

Last edited:
Update 10-12-2023

The Bushnell Match Pro ED 5-30x56mm review is up. Take a look at the elevation knob design on this thing. It’s a locking elevation knob with zero stop and rev indicator with no set screws that is only a hairs breadth from being completely tool-less. You can even easily choose how far below zero it travels. It is a thing of beauty and the new standard for elevation knob design.

View attachment 8247441
Bushnell Match Pro ED 5-30x56mm on Pure Precision Crux rifle
Where’s the review? Perhaps I’m missing something.

Update 10-2-2023

The Sightron S6 5-30x56 ED FFP arrived this weekend for review. This is a totally new optical design optimized for Precison rifle use that should feature a larger depth of field and field of view than previous designs. It is a Japanese made scope with a retail of $1.7k so it is not part of the Sub $1k series of scope reviews this year. I will instead be comparing it to a few of the Scopes from the ~$2k reviews a couple years ago such as the Leupold Mark5 HD 5-25x56 and Sig Tango6 5-30x56 as well as the Sightron SIII PLR from last year.

View attachment 8240218
Sightron S6 5-30x56 ED FFP unboxing

In other news, expect the Bushnell Match Pro ED 5-30x56 review any day now. I finished up writing it last week and have sent it off to Bushnell for any pre-release comments they might have. Not that I expect a whole lot of comment. It is a positive review and companies don’t tend to have a lot of comments on those.
When do you expect the Sightron review to be complete?

Thank you for all of this.

-Stan

Reactions: Uhlan
When do you expect the Sightron review to be complete?

Thank you for all of this.

-Stan
Funny you mention the Sightron S6. I spent a good deal of yesterday doing testing on that review as well as working on the level use in precision rifle article. It's going to be another month before I finish up Sightron review though. I expect you will see the Optisan review later this week though. I have finished it up and sent the draft over to the Optisan folks for any comments.

On a different note, as part of the article on levels, I picked up a set of Hawkins precision rings. I was looking to try all the different level configurations prevalent in precision rifle. I had never tried rings with a center mounted level and so I picked up a set of the Hawkins in that configuration. Hawkins manufactures rings both with the level mounted in the center of the top ring and also some with the level offset. I'll be talking about the rings in the level article but I wanted to mention them here as well because I think they are the best rings I have seen for precision rifle use. The machining is absolutely first rate and the fit on the scope is just perfect. The fit reminds me of the now discontinued Kelblys rings, much more snug and even than with most rings. The Hawkins rings are well lightened by having the extraneous material machined away and use nice robust fasteners. The level on them is large and has a lot of exposure to light so it is easy to see. A big improvement ove the small, dark, levels on the zeiss rings. The centered level Hawkins rings I have is probably the choice for hunting use as it is snag free and I think the offset level location would be the better choice for competition use as it will be visible with your eye behind the reticle with no head movement. All in all they are great rings at a good price and I'm not surprised they seem to be on back order most of the time.

2023 11 13 hawkins cant.jpg

Hawkins Precision Ultra-Lite rings on the Sightron S6 5-30x56 demonstration a 2 degree cant for the upcoming article on level use.

Reactions: stanley_white
I always wondered how you instal those so they are perfect. I guess you snug the front ring first then tighten the rear while the scope and action ar leveled? Ive never used a level on the top cap but i assume if you cant open both eyes while shoting this may be a good option.

I always wondered how you instal those so they are perfect. I guess you snug the front ring first then tighten the rear while the scope and action ar leveled? Ive never used a level on the top cap but i assume if you cant open both eyes while shoting this may be a good option.
I'll have a detailed explanation in the article on level use that I'm writing. In a way, it's actually easier with a level built into the rings as you can put the rings on without the scope in them first and use the level to level the rifle then lock the bipod down. The big key is that the reticle in the scope must be level to the level on the rings. Many say to do this with a plumb line but it is much easier to use a carpenters level to level a target with a verticle line on it. Plumb lines blow around a bunch even when there is almost no wind. Once it's all lined up it's really pretty easy to tighten the cap screws without moving things. You just do a very little bit on each screw each time and alternate left to right each time.

Reactions: r.tenorio671
Update 11-23-2023

The Optisan EVX Gen II 4-16x44F1 rifle scope review is up. This scope represents one of the main directions I see hunting scopes going in. It has most of the features of a precision rifle scope and, in fact, would work fine in that capacity but is significantly smaller and lighter than typical precision rifle scope. I have seen a few makers start to release a couple of models in this vein. I think this is perhaps the most hunting focused of them as it’s reticle and turrets are clearly designed with that application in mind, it is a little lower magnification, and it is particularly small and light. It’s a neat optic, check it out.

2023 3 6 optisan evx g2 416x44 through the scope.jpg

Some nice trees in bloom through the Optisan EVX Gen II 4-16x44F1

In other news, the testing on the Sightron S6 5-30x56 ED FFP is about done so I’ll be getting started on writing it up in the next couple of weeks. I’ll have it done before Christmas for sure. Also, be sure to check out the SnipersHide 2023 black friday thread for some deals on some of the products I have reviewed in past years. There were some particularly juicy deals. 40% off Grayboe stocks and 15% off Hawkins through altus comes to mind. I have also seen that TriggerTech has already started their sale and still has some gold triggers left and I think the thread mentioned some Bix n Andy on sale as well. Of course, you can't miss the yearly blem sale from MDT and B&T. Even if you don't buy anything, the entertainment comes free from MDT.

Update 11-28-2023

I mentioned earlier this year that Mesa Precision Arms, who’s Crux action and rifle build I did a review of a couple years ago, had changed it’s name to PurePrecison. The name change was partially motivated by the fact there is another unrelated firearms company with Mesa in it’s name. It was also motivated by growth in their business and manufacturing capabilities. PurePrecision now has a partnership with aerospace company such that it can now manufacture it’s own actions.

That is a big change and I’ll be doing a build on, and review of, one of these new actions, the aptly named SKLTN action. As the name suggests, this is a lightweight action that has had material milled away from many non-structural areas to reduce the weight. This has been done so completely that the even the front face of the integral recoil lug has been hollowed out. PurePrecision is offering the SKLTN in both long and short actions and with both Stainless and Titanium bodies. The result is the lightest action I have seen to date with the Titanium short action coming in at just 16oz and the steel at 21oz. Right now, these actions come in standard and magnum bolt faces. More options are coming with a .223rem / 300 blackout / 350 legend sized one next.

Here is a nice set of images showing the action and a few of the features

2023 11 28 skltn info sheet.jpg

Other details are that, as you probably guessed, the SKLTN is a 700 footprint and takes 700 triggers. The SKLTN features a swamped bolt body that allows more play for movement mid stroke but tighter fit on lockup. The firing pin body is fluted for reduced weight and quicker lock time. The bolt fluting is done in two separate stages to give maximum weight reduction without sharp edges that chew up your brass. As with previous actions offered by PurePrecison, the SKLTN has a 75 degree bolt throw without reduction in firing pin fall or spring stiffness and Tool-less bayonet style bolt disassembly. PurePrecision didn't skimp on the coatings and the bolt is DLC coated. Extraction is M16 style with plunger type ejection.

I’ll be adding an update with the full build details before too long but I wanted to get this posted while there is still a cybermonday deal going on with the action.

Here are video links to an interview about the SKLTN, Introduction video, and splashy hunt video

Update 2023 12 15 or the Ultimate Midwest Deer Rifle Project

In my last update I mentioned that I would be doing a build with, and review of, the PurePrecison SKLTN action. I just didn’t tell you what caliber that build would be. It’s going to be a concept that has been kicking around in the back of my head for a few years now. Back in 2014, Ohio changed it’s deer hunting regulations to allow for rifles chambered in straight walled cartridges to be used during gun season. My thought at the time was that I wondered just how accurate such a rifle could be made and what it could look like ballistically. Since then, the trend of Midwestern states approving straight walled cartridges for deer hunting where previously you had to use a shotgun has continued, a few new straight walled cartridges have been released, a lot of new price-point straight walled cartridge rifles have come out, and the popularly of the concept has generally grown. I’m happy to see this as I think it’s a great concept. The fat, and relatively slow bullets these cartridges fire significantly decrease the stray bullet danger from hunters not being as careful as they should be when compared to the risk with common deer hunting bottleneck calibers such as 6.5CM. Yet, straight wall cartridges still offer far better recoil, range and accuracy than a slug shotgun. I think it’s a good middle ground, especially in states that have significant population density even in rural areas and have little contour to help to mitigate the mistakes of irresponsible hunters.

2023 12 15 cartridge lineup.jpg

Left to right size comparison 6.5CM, 350 Legend, and .223rem

What I have not seen, despite the success of these cartridges, is a lot of adoption in the custom rifle realm. So, when it came time to build another rifle, I decided to wade in and see what something like that would look like. What I came up with is that the very recent, 2019, 350 Legend is basically the perfect straight wall cartridge for the concept. It can feed from some .223 AICS mags (MDT metal and Hawkins) though not others (MDT plastic and Accurate), uses the common .223 bolt face, has sufficient power and good velocity, and doesn’t kick like a 45-70. Were now building one and then we will see what we can get out of the concept in terms of accuracy and effective hunting range. I’ll also take a look at reloading the cartridge and see how handloading for precision on a straight walled cartridge that headspaces off of the mouth goes. That will all result in an article on custom straight walled rifle considerations and performance and along the way I’ll also do reviews of the components involved such as the PurePrecision SKLTN action, PurePrecision Altitude carbon fiber stocks, and a refresh of the Proof carbon barrels review to include the data from this 350 legend one. It should be a lot of fun.

I also want to mention that there must be something in the air as part way though the project the Hawkins Precision guys posted a video on a 350 Legend build they had done.

Hawkins Precision 350 Legend build

Reactions: HawkinsPrecision
Update 11-23-2023

The Optisan EVX Gen II 4-16x44F1 rifle scope review is up. This scope represents one of the main directions I see hunting scopes going in. It has most of the features of a precision rifle scope and, in fact, would work fine in that capacity but is significantly smaller and lighter than typical precision rifle scope. I have seen a few makers start to release a couple of models in this vein. I think this is perhaps the most hunting focused of them as it’s reticle and turrets are clearly designed with that application in mind, it is a little lower magnification, and it is particularly small and light. It’s a neat optic, check it out.

View attachment 8279308
Some nice trees in bloom through the Optisan EVX Gen II 4-16x44F1

In other news, the testing on the Sightron S6 5-30x56 ED FFP is about done so I’ll be getting started on writing it up in the next couple of weeks. I’ll have it done before Christmas for sure. Also, be sure to check out the SnipersHide 2023 black friday thread for some deals on some of the products I have reviewed in past years. There were some particularly juicy deals. 40% off Grayboe stocks and 15% off Hawkins through altus comes to mind. I have also seen that TriggerTech has already started their sale and still has some gold triggers left and I think the thread mentioned some Bix n Andy on sale as well. Of course, you can't miss the yearly blem sale from MDT and B&T. Even if you don't buy anything, the entertainment comes free from MDT.
Hoping for an S6 review for Christmas ; )

Update 1-8-2024

The Sightron S6 5-30x56 ED FFP scope review is now live. This will be the last review I post on this 2023 thread. In the next few days I will have up the 2024 schedule as well as some updates on the ultimate Midwest deer rifle project and associated reviews.

2024 1 3 sightron s6 kelbly featured pic.jpg

Sightron S6 5-30x56 FFP on the Kelbly Atlas rifle I reviewed a few years back

As for the other stuff on the 2023 schedule that is not yet done. The article on levels is at least half written and will be the first article for the 2024 year. It has been an interesting one to work on this year and I’m pretty pleased with the article so far. I’m not sure where things stand with the Riton folks. I haven’t spoken with them in a while and scopes haven’t’ arrived for testing. I expect they will at some point. Delays in scope shipments from overseas is nothing new. As for the Hi-Lux PR5 scope that was on the docket to be reviewed with the sub ~$1k scopes, it had to go back to Hi-Lux after the testing to be checked out. I haven’t followed up in a while to see what the status of that is and I suspect they have fallen in the ShotShow void for the month or so. Hopefully some resolution will come on that front early next year. I completed all the non-field work on it so I certainly can start to write it up in the mean time.

On other related media, I am hoping to a couple summary EveryDaySniper podcasts with Frank on the sub ~$1k and sub ~$2k scope review series similar to the one we did on laser rangefinders. Also, I’m not attending ShotShow this year. Typically I only go every few years and I went last year. I certainly have enough stuff in the hopper to work on for the year and it takes a ton of time to do the whole show thing and then write it up not to mention the travel expenses.

Reactions: Evintos