• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2023 NightForce ELR Challenge

A few years ago I talked with someone that ran solids I think pva 212. He said he had good results and had no issue with misses or splash on hits. I have a few I might test again but I will shoot bergers in match

The PVA 212's have an insanely impressive BC.

That's actually what sparked my curiosity.

That's kind of the rub of solids. I don't think they ever shoot as precisely as high quality jacketed bullets, despite them being more uniform.
I shot there hunting line and they shot good. But not enough time with there target. Bergers are just the easy button

Reactions: kthomas
Was thinking of running 277 gr solids. If I get more time with them. But, set with my 300 norma. Don't know if I want to go up to 338 lm.

That's kind of the rub of solids. I don't think they ever shoot as precisely as high quality jacketed bullets, despite them being more uniform.

I'm sure some do but most were running bergers from the squads before and after us def can ask the guys who won 😜 @NoLegs24 @hic28 pretty sure they were running bergers

Currently debating between 300prc and 300norma.

I ran a 300prc last year and will be running it again this year. Don't think it will hold you back honestly. You will give up a few tenths on wind and elevation to the long barreled 300 Norma's but it's not so drastic if you already have one or the other I would switch but that's just me

What velo are you getting with the 245. Just curious!
This is what I posted to the 300 Norma thread:

245 LRHT
Lapua Brass
CCI 250
87.5 gr N570
0.020 off lands
3060 avg fps

No pressure issues, was faster than I expected. Best ES was 12 and SD 6.3 with a 5 shot group. .38 moa.

This is what I posted to the 300 Norma thread:

245 LRHT
Lapua Brass
CCI 250
87.5 gr N570
0.020 off lands
3060 avg fps

No pressure issues, was faster than I expected. Best ES was 12 and SD 6.3 with a 5 shot group. .38 moa.
Used N570, switching to Retumbo, or H1000. Had too much throat erosion with it. Have you noticed that. But, definitely great speed with that 245 gr

Used N570, switching to Retumbo, or H1000. Had too much throat erosion with it. Have you noticed that. But, definitely great speed with that 245 gr
I really havent tracked it across this barrel. I've got a new one I'm going to track more closely and see how it does. N570 definitely has a reputation as a barrel burner, but it does so well I think I'm willing to accept a little less barrel life.

Who is shooting an mrad there? Last year spotting misses was difficult cause we had some rain and in got super muddy, that shit would just suck up a bullet no matter what. Years prior were hot and dusty and misses were generally easy to spot unless it was that coyote stage where bullets disappeared into the shadows.

Who is shooting an mrad there? Last year spotting misses was difficult cause we had some rain and in got super muddy, that shit would just suck up a bullet no matter what. Years prior were hot and dusty and misses were generally easy to spot unless it was that coyote stage where bullets disappeared into the shadows.
Saw a couple last year on different squads. Sure there will be quite a bit this year.

Brian litz and the ab crew and quite a few others ran em. One had a podium finish iirm
Mitch Fitzpatrick from AB was shooting an mrad and finished first iirc. It's usually between him and nolegs. Last year we had a good squad of mrads with the two guys from barrett and marc soulie from spartan rifles shooting his mrad. We even had a guy shooting one of those rare remington MSR rifles.

I ran(300norma) 220's and 82grains of re26 last year at 2970. Seemed to work well. About to go to the range Thursday and test some 245's and n570.

I'm planning of running a somewhat conservative load with the 220's - probably around 2950ish, so similar to your previous load.

The 245's seem like a great projectile. My .300NM barrel is pretty slow, so I don't think I could do that projectile justice.

Honestly I'm just looking forward to using my .300NM in a competition for once, I don't get to shoot it much. And to have fun, will be great to meet some of you.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Looks like we'll be making ammo for four 300nm for NF ELR this year. Three rifles for our own guys shooting and one for a customer. Customer rig in pic. Turned out pretty nice looking.

Looking like VV N570 and Berger 245 LRHT

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 1.00.39 PM.png

Have you done any testing yet?

I hope to do some testing next week.

Just got back from a trip, and need to put the house back together after a recent restoration project. My reloading room looks like a storage unit at the moment.

But hopefully the house will be under control by early next week, and I can focus on doing some testing.

I hope to do some testing next week.

Just got back from a trip, and need to put the house back together after a recent restoration project. My reloading room looks like a storage unit at the moment.

But hopefully the house will be under control by early next week, and I can focus on doing some testing.
Haha I understand that 100%

Went out and did some testing today with 245's for the match everything loaded to 3.68in with federal gold medal match magnum primers in lapua brass. Here are the results, and garmin makes it crazy easy to track your data and log stuff.

1708821317149.png

IMG_6010.jpeg

Attachments

• 1708820135908.png
    1708820135908.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Went out and did some testing today with 245's for the match everything loaded to 3.68in with federal gold medal match magnum primers in lapua brass. Here are the results, and garmin makes it crazy easy to track your data and log stuff.

View attachment 8357415

View attachment 8357385
Did you do ladder tests with all powder. Is this just from previous work ups, passed loads, or given loads. Thanks

Last edited:
I am working with about 8 powders and two calibers I just started (within the last month) I am loading about 10 rounds of each to get a several groups and working up from there a couple of grains at a time.

I am working with about 8 powders and two calibers I just started (within the last month) I am loading about 10 rounds of each to get a several groups and working up from there a couple of grains at a time.
Have you not tried a ladder test with each powder. Maybe save you some rounds.

Hey nothing wrong, with not knowing. Or, they call it a Satterly test too. Go to each charge, and see what the max is. Load up 10 rds under max charge. Leading up to the max charge in .02 increments. Can find a node with 2 shots close to each other. Like say 4 rd was say 80.2 gr 2950 fps, and 80.4 2956fps. That would be a node something close to each other.
Load up 5 80.2
Load up 5 80.3
Load up 5 80.4

That should give u a good spot to figure out ur load. Also look up 6.5 guys on YouTube and ladder test or Satterly test. Better explanation

I will be there but also have a spot available because I now have a shooting partner that no longer needs his spot since we will now be competing as a team.

Edit: Rifle has been loaned out! Spot no longer available either.

I also have a fully prepped 300 Norma that I can lend to someone for the cost of ammo if there’s someone who can make it but doesn’t have a capable rifle or would just like to test the 300 Norma waters. This particular rifle took 2nd 2 years ago. Still driving absolute nails at a round count of 600-700.

View attachment 8137391
View attachment 8137399

DM me if interested in the spot available and/or loaner rifle and we’ll chat about it.
Where is this shoot I am in New York as for rifles I have a 338 lapua Savige elite and an M 24

Thank You
I vacation in Wyoming a number of times. I am also waiting for a Shiloh Sharps to be finished and will probably take a ride out there to pick it up. I would like to do this in the future, however I am new to the sport do you arrange shoots for people just starting. Shooting in a serious match like this one I would probably be a handicap anyway so....

Thank You
I vacation in Wyoming a number of times. I am also waiting for a Shiloh Sharps to be finished and will probably take a ride out there to pick it up. I would like to do this in the future, however I am new to the sport do you arrange shoots for people just starting. Shooting in a serious match like this one I would probably be a handicap anyway so....
New to long range or not. Plenty of people will help you along the way. Don't be scared to sign up next year, or look for someone selling their spot here in the near future. Ome with what you got. You will be OK.

Thank You

New to long range or not. Plenty of people will help you along the way. Don't be scared to sign up next year, or look for someone selling their spot here in the near future. Ome with what you got. You will be OK.
One little problem I am touching 80 been shooting for 65 years and still do OK. Where can I find more information about this shoot and the rules governing I would love to participate. By next year I will have a 6 mm GT and possibly a 223 Remington bolt to choose from.

One little problem I am touching 80 been shooting for 65 years and still do OK. Where can I find more information about this shoot and the rules governing I would love to participate. By next year I will have a 6 mm GT and possibly a 223 Remington bolt to choose from.
It's in Glen Rock. Find it on Facebook. Hell ur still young. Think people would love to see you out there. I know I would. There's one day shoots in Kansas. That's elr too Also believe a 6.5 and up would be good. Think 6 creed would be too light.

It's in Glen Rock. Find it on Facebook. Hell ur still young. Think people would love to see you out there. I know I would. There's one day shoots in Kansas. That's elr too Also believe a 6.5 and up would be good. Think 6 creed would be too light.
Thanks I will check out Facebook although it is against my religion

Reactions: ShootnFool8