• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.204 AR-15 / .243 AR-10 Advise Appreciated

Seeking_Coyotes

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2017
Appreciate expert advice and suggestions on finding a rifle to meet my needs for coyote hunting. Prefer one of these two calibers. Not exactly a ton of rifles made in these calibers compared to others. However, not looking for a .22 Nosler or .224 Valkarie or another .223/5.56. Not looking for a bolt gun. Tried a Browning BAR in .243 Win. but it did not shoot well, neither did the second I tried. Here is what I seek in each rifle (below) or as close as possible. Both guns will be suppressed with a Silencerco Omega. I would be grateful if you could provide links or names of suggestions of rifles.

-204 to shoot 40-45 grain bullets ideally 1:11 twist or whatever works best.
-.243 to shoot 55-75 grain bullets. Ideally 1:12 twist or whatever works best.
-20" threaded medium or medium light barrel.
-Entire rifle 9lbs or lighter. Lighter the better for extensive walking in rough terrain.
- Will use a thermal optic most likely.
- Cerakote a plus but I could always have someone treat it.
- Rifle absolutely must put five hunting (not match) bullets in 2" at 200 yards. Willing to try different ammunition. Prefer not to reload.

I would assemble your own so you can get the barrel specs you need. It's very easy. I am not aware of any factory rifle in 204 ruger that can run heavier bullets. 6 creedmoor seems to run better in a large frame autoloader. There are some 6 creedmoor factory guns like Seekins and JP that are very accurate. The best way to meet specs for weight in a large frame is a proof research barrel and a low mass operating system JP or RCA. I run a RCA titanium bcg with JP high pressure bolt with a proof 6 creedmoor barrel.

My only 204 is a bolt gun due so many feeding issues and barrel twist issues in the early AR options.

Krieger makes a 243 barrel still but I am sure it's heavy but very accurate. Craddock Precision can make you a 204, 243, or 6 creedmoor. Proof research has 204 ruger and 6 creedmoor.

I owned a DPMS Lite Hunter in 243. It had a 10 twist. I sold it and built an Aero upper with a Seekins 8 twist 243 barrel. It’s about 12 pounds but will shoot well within your requirements. I also have two 6 Creedmoors. One with a JP barrel and the other is a Bartlein from Craddock.

Like others have stated .204 will have feeding issues out of ar mags. 6creedmore will be over your weight requirement.
I built a 17 rem ar and left the barrel 26” so I can rechamber to 17-223 later. I walk long distances with mine chugging through deep snow and over icy lakes carrying mine. You will be happier with 204 as long as you modify mags so they will feed. It has to do with the shoulder location. You could go 20practical but I get the impression you don’t want to reload. Columbiariverarms have poly rifled 204 ar barrels for just over 300 and up. I have a 20practical at barrel if interested.

I decided to go with an F4 Defense rifle after speaking with then today. .243 small frame AR-10.

I run a 204 Ruger out of a side-charging AR15 w/ 24" Shilen 9-twist varmint barrel. Works best with Lancer AWM mags. Major feeding issues with Magpul and GI mags.

Next build will be a 22CM in a large frame AR.

OP - do you load your own ammo, or just buy it? If you only shoot factory ammo, ignore the rest of this post.

If you load your own, a good solution to the .204 Ruger feed issues is the 20 Tactical or 20 Practical. Both are capable of essentially the same ballistics as the .204 R, but use standard 5.56 brass and mags with no feeding issues. They're easy to load too. One note on that - most of the info you'll find online about the 20 Tac vs Prac argument is incorrect; standard FL dies for the 20 Tac are available from Hornady and it's an easier loading process, one pass through the FL die with 5.56 brass is all it takes to form brass.

I presently shoot two .204 AR’s.

Both 20”and suppressed. Both with S&B 5-20 ultra shorts. One bull barrel, one Proof CF.
Absolutely no issue with feeding on USGI mags. 32 grain Hornady ammo.

Either will meet your accuracy requirement. One will meet your weight requirement.
(Recently killed a crow at 428 yards one shot)

Building two just now for friends.

I have built and used several others with hundreds of coyote and thousands of other kills. Guessing I have fired 15k rounds through the AR .204’s

Strongly suggest the 32 grain bullet. It’s better on critters than ballistics suggest.

Let me know if I can help.

Add

There is no issue with feeding 32 grain Hornady ammo through USGI mags.

Strongly suggest the 32 grain bullet. It’s better on critters than ballistics suggest.

I'm a little surprised to hear that, since most recommendations are for the 40gr V-max based on velocity and wind drift. Is your recommendation based on accuracy, splat factor, fur damage, or just what you like shooting best?

In mine, comparing a 40gr @ 3900 and the 32gr @ 4200, they're both doing the same velocity by 200 yards and the 40gr wins past that, and also does better in wind drift from 100 yds on out. Of course the real deciding factor for me is that the 40gr just shoots more accurately.

The 32gr is a little flatter shooting out to 350-400 yds, but is giving up about 3" of wind drift to the 40gr at that distance.

In my rifles the 32 grain wins on every count inside 400 meters.

Based on what velocity numbers? Is the 40gr running really slow in your barrels? Or are you just basing that on trajectory or maybe accuracy in your barrels? Do you shoot in the wind very much?

Going by the 204 Ruger advertised velocity and what my 20 does, the only thing the 32gr does better out to 400 yards is slightly flatter trajectory; it's behind in everything else - wind drift, velocity, power, etc. There's no way for the 32gr to have less wind drift unless the velocity difference is a lot larger between it an the 40 than what it should be.
Most other 20 cal shooters of one of these three 20's seem to agree. Not saying you're wrong, just wondering how you came to that conclusion.

I am in the field nearly daily. Year round. Not all day but shoot most days.

I don’t know another way to say it. In no regard does the heavy bullet exceed the 32 grain. I have tried everything from 24 grain to 55 grain bullets.

The 32 grain wins on every count.

I live in Kansas which has a reputation for wind. I shoot in it daily.

OK, another way to say it from Ray Charles.
“What it won’t get I don’t need.”?