• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

208 A-Max with Vihtavouri

British Guy

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2008
Hi guys,

Im over in england and have lurked on the forum for a long time although it must have taken 6 months for my registration to work out. This is a very intersting forum and the knowledge offered here certainly seems very well understood and thorough.

Anyway, Im shooting a 300 Win Mag, remington sendero with a 26" barrel and have just bought some 208gr Hornady A-Max bullets to try in it. I have done a good search for data and have found a lot of suggestions for both H1000 and reloader 22 but due to ongoing import export problems, it is very hard to reliably get hold of either powder. I have several pounds of both Viht 160 and 165 and just wondered if anybody out there can offer any data for these powders (im thinking the 165 to be the better option)?

The other thing I always notice is that you all get significantly higher velocities with your loads in the US. I always load and watch for pressure signs and usually stop well before I get anywhere near your velocities. I know barrels differ and ambient temperatures have an effect on the powders but with a 155 bullet in a 308 im getting serious pressure signs with common loads of varget and Re15 well before I get to the 2800fps and beyond that regularly seem to get reported on here. Can anyone explain these figures, surely my remington barrels arent that different to some of your remington barrels. I know accuracy is king and always load with that as a priority but I cant get a 155 scenar to 1k reliably supersonic.

Re: 208 A-Max with Vihtavouri

What are your definitions of pressure signs? One man's pressure sign is another man's normal.

If you're piercing primers, or blowing them out, or getting nasty ejector swipes or getting ruptured cases, sure you're going too far. However, if you have a little bolt lift resistance, slight cratering of the primers, even flattened primers (depending on make) AND you're within published pressure/charge weight limits, then keep shooting. Make sure you don't have a carbon ring building up and make sure the rifle is well maintained and in proper working order.

I was shooting 155s out of my 26" Savage LE2b and getting 2820 with 44.4grs Varget and had to hammer my bolt open on about 10 of 100 rounds, despite the primers looking new and with proper radius on them.

I got back and checked my notes and I'd only neck sized them for the previous two cycles, so I promptly bumped the shoulders back and loaded 50 cases up with 45.0grs and fired them a week later (different bottle of Varget) and while the velocities were only a tad higher (a story for a different day) no bolt thrust issues at all, so it was a false pressure sign.

With a 26" tube, 2900ish shouldn't be that hard and certainly 2800 is kind of tame. I was shooting in 84 and then 82 degree Miami weather, so it was warm, but not hot.

Chris

Mainly craterd primers but BIG craters. I think my VSF must have a big firing pin hole because no other pressure signs and cases are lasting forever with a shoulder bump required every 3rd loading.

I think I may have put the question badly, when I look at your post and see the 44gr varget load, I think about the fact that by the time i get enough varget in my cases to get near that, the bullet wont fit lol. seriously though, I have been to 46 gr of varget and still dont go past 2850 fps. The temperatures here dont vary too much, usually between 5 and 15 degress centigrade (sory cant do farenheit) and I know my chrono is correct because when ever I do shoot long range and dial in my scope using computer programs and the bullet and chrono data, i am always within a 1/4 minute or so, even at 600yards.

Im not loosing sleep over it, i just always wonder how you get these velocities??

Another thing that will show pressure signs is if you are pushing your shoulder back to far when resizing. Also,
what brand of cases?

pressure signs can be from bumping the sholder to far back. also from sending the bullet to tight into the lands will give signs. Take my word for it. had a verry smart man straighten me up on this. good headspace and correct jump will help with pressure signs at least it did for me.