• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 212 LRX bore rider 30 Sherman mag testing

762 ULTRAMAGA

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
Idaho
I recently put a 30 Sherman mag together with an 8 twist CF barrel from Oregon Mountain Rifles, specifically to shoot the new Barnes 212 LRX bore rider bullets with a .705 bc.
The 30 Sherman is basically a 300 PRC improved.

I loaded up some rounds at 3.965 ( yeah these bullets are looong) with 81 grains H1000 in ADG brass, velocity is 3000 and .5 moa at 200 yards.

I shot a few at 680 tonight and the accuracy is holding true, I recovered a bullet shot through a rotten log and expansion was beautiful.

Here's a few pics, bottom bullet is a 215 Berger, next is a 212, 3rd was recovered at 200 yards, 4th was recovered at 680 yards ( Impact velocity 2150).

IMG_20200713_211451843.jpg
IMG_20200713_212006369.jpg
shot_1594253983059.jpg

Have you had the opportunity to do any more testing with this bullet? I am building a 300 Norma with an 8tw bart and was thinking about trying this bullet.

Have you had the opportunity to do any more testing with this bullet? I am building a 300 Norma with an 8tw bart and was thinking about trying this bullet.
I shot a buck at 560 with a 212 lrx and it straight up dropped him, I mis judged the wind and held back when I shouldn't have and he still didn't go anywhere.
Tennis ball sized exit wound.
I sold the rifle for some reason..
I'm gonna get a 30 nosler barrel made up and play with them again

Sounds like they work well. Any trouble with copper foiling or difficulty finding a load? Do they seem to be of a softer copper or open up easier than a normal Barnes bullet?

Sounds like they work well. Any trouble with copper foiling or difficulty finding a load? Do they seem to be of a softer copper or open up easier than a normal Barnes bullet?
I didn't shoot them enough to really determine how bad they copper fouled.
They shot well right off the bat, and had a ton of freebore being a bore rider.
I didn't do any bc testing or long range horizontal testing, just loaded a few and killed my buck.
Definitely softer copper, they opened up beautifully just hitting dirt at 700 yards.
I'll put a lot more time into those bullets when I screw my new barrel on, they have potential

Reactions: Hank Fabich jr.
I didn't shoot them enough to really determine how bad they copper fouled.
They shot well right off the bat, and had a ton of freebore being a bore rider.
I didn't do any bc testing or long range horizontal testing, just loaded a few and killed my buck.
Definitely softer copper, they opened up beautifully just hitting dirt at 700 yards.
I'll put a lot more time into those bullets when I screw my new barrel on, they have potential
Any particular reason for ditching the 30 Sherman?

Circling back to this. How did the nosler do pushing these?