• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .22-250 1:14 twist Heaviest bullet?

ranger1183

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2006
Whitefish, MT, USA
Hey Friends,
I'm looking for shooters ACTUAL EXPERIENCE regarding shooting bullets 60 grains and heavier from a 22-250 that has a 1:14 twist barrel. Has anyone had success shooting heavier bullets? Or am I limited to maximum 55 grain bullets?
Thanks!

Sierra 60 gr HP works well with 34.8 grains of XBR 8208, have other loads with other powders, you can PM me for them.

To the lands is 2.580 in my rem 700, also shot well at 2.540, this load put 4 in one hole and of course I choked on the fifth round which
was 1/4 inch away.

60gr. is probably going to be your limit. I attempted to sight in a Savage .22/250 for a friend that wanted ( I'm going by memory) 64 gr. bullets. No go! Could not get it to zero at a hundred. Now, keep in mind that different barrels handle bullets differently. But 1-14 is just not conducive for heavy bullets in .22-250

I couldn't get the Hornady 53gr Vmax to shoot well in mine but the 55gr ones were lights out. The little bit longer 53gr made the difference in mine. I never tried anything heavier then 55gr then.

I did try some nosler partitions in 60 gr but best group was just over an inch at 100. With 40 grainers vmax and nosler ballistic tips it will do that at 300 yds. This is out of a factory rem sps with a varmint barrel 1 in 14 tw. The heaviest I got to shoot really good were hornady 52 amax with some varget around 3600-3650 fps.

.22 Caliber (.224) High Velocity 60 gr. HP (100 bullets)
.22 CALIBER (.224) HIGH VELOCITY 60 GR. HP
For rifles, this is a high-velocity bullet designed to give precision accuracy with the explosive expansion of Sierra's Varminter-style construction. This bullet is at its best when fired from the larger-capacity cartridges, such as the 22-250 or 220 Swift in rifles with barrels having 1x14" twist rates, stabilizing easily for excellent long-range accuracy and effective expansion. Normally, 1x12" or faster twist rates work best for medium-capacity cases, such as the 223 Remington. These bullets are excellent for long-range varmint hunting.

From there web sight and its my go to load with XBR 8208, also using Berger 60 gr with the same results.
Like 40xs said anything heaver is a waste of time.

Last edited:
ok, so my second question is: What is the SLOWEST twist barrel (still 26" long) that can stabilize the MIL-SPEC 62 grain SS 109 bullet? Yes, this is being shot out of a high speed cartridge (22-243 Middlested). Thanks

ok, so my second question is: What is the SLOWEST twist barrel (still 26" long) that can stabilize the MIL-SPEC 62 grain SS 109 bullet? Yes, this is being shot out of a high speed cartridge (22-243 Middlested). Thanks

I shoot Hirtenberger SS109 factory ammo with good results in a HK SL6 semi auto that has a 1-10,5" twist polygonal barrel.

I've shot M855/SS109 pulled bullets in 20" to 24", 1-10" twist barrels, loaded to 223 Rem specs, with good results. Altitude 300 ft ASL, temp. 70º+ F. Also factory and reloaded ammo with 69 gr Sierra match king HPBT bullets, very accurate.

Depends on your altitude. We've stabilized the SS109 bullet from a 1 in 12" twist at 5000 feet. At sea level, you will need a faster twist, but how much faster depends on velocity.

The SS109 is an odd bullet. It is much harder to push through the barrel, so at the same pressure, it will not achieve the same speeds as other 62 grain bullets. It is also subject to much larger manufacturing variations than most varmint and match bullets. If the JBM Stability calculator computes a stability above 1.5 for your twist rate, conditions, and velocity, you should be reasonably assured the bullets will not tumble.

JBM - Calculations - Stability

I tried a few SS109 bullets in my 220 Swift 1/14 twist several years ago and they keyholed at 50 yards.