• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22-250 max load question.

Michael Riley

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2011
NE Ohio
So, today I loaded some rounds hotter than I normally do. I haven't been reloading very long and don't have much experience. My reg load for my .22-250 is 36.5 grains of varget shooting 50 grain NBT's about 3740fps. I wanted to test some hotter loads out and made some using 37 grains and 37.4. 37.5 is what Hodgdons says is the max load so I went with 37.4 to <span style="font-style: italic">try</span> and be safe. Those ones are loaded almost to the top of the shoulder and you can barely hear the powder when shaking the loaded rounds. Are there likely to be any problems with firing these?

I'm wanting to test these out tomorrow and would appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks!

Re: .22-250 max load question.

Good to know. I figured it would be fine, but wouldn't hurt to ask just to be on the safe side.

Thanks!

Michael, Try some H-380 out of the .22-250. I have had several .22-250's and all shot very good with the H-380. Nosler BT, Sierra Blitz King, Hornady V Max. 50gr and 55 gr bullets shot and performed well.

All max load questions have the same answer. Work up slowly in hot weather. If your max load is safe at 90 deg, it will also be safe at lesser temps. If you can reload your cases 5 or more times with primer pockets being OK, you will be fine, if not, too hot.

Michael,

Try some Benchmark. I am running 50gr vmax bullets at 3950fps with no pressure signs in my R700 22-250 with a 26" tube. Meters better than Varget in my Dillon, so its a win/win. YMMV...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Michael,

Try some Benchmark. I am running 50gr vmax bullets at 3950fps with no pressure signs in my R700 22-250 with a 26" tube. Meters better than Varget in my Dillon, so its a win/win. YMMV... </div></div>

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the info!

Benchmark (50 grain Ballistic Tips) and H380 (52 SMK's) are my current go to powders for .22-250 and have been for several years
now.
My H380 load uses a charge weight that is a couple of grains over listed max. My rifle likes pretty hot loads, and most of the loads it shoots best are at or above listed maxes.

H380 seems to have some variability from lot to lot which is my only complaint. It shoots well and meters fantastically so I can deal with some extra load development. The Benchmark lots I have shot have been extremely consistent by comparison.

I have been working with some XBR recently and have seen some really promising results, so I would definitely look at that powder as well.

VTR said:
Michael, Try some H-380 out of the .22-250. I have had several .22-250's and all shot very good with the H-380. Nosler BT, Sierra Blitz King, Hornady V Max. 50gr and 55 gr bullets shot and performed well. [/quote

H-380 has worked well for me. I also like RL15.

My load is 38.5 varget over a 40g Vmax. 4100 fps. Its a laser out to 350 or so.