• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22... Br or 250?

Geno C.

Dirty Carnie
Minuteman
  • Oct 24, 2007
    Wautoma, WI
    I have a 9 twist barrel and an action with a 308 bolt. I want to build something for my 7 year old boy to start shooting a bit longer distance than his 22 gets him. I'm thinking either a 22br or 22-250 shooting the 75 amax or 70 Berger since the amax is on hiatus. Anyone build something like this for someone recoil sensitive?

How about pros and cons? Does one really stand out from the other?

I cant speak for the 22BR, but I have several 22-250's. I set my last one up
    on an 8twist Rock, as a 22-250Ai.

Recoil on any 22-250 based round is nil, and performance is good with a variety of
    factory ammo.

I was just in Wautoma last Friday. Any good long range shooting ranges over
    in your area?

Only long rangers around here are private land. The county range here only goes to 200 but it works in a pinch.

We will be shooting more than 200. I'd like to have him shooting to 4-500 by next year. The public range goes to 200 but we ver seldom shoot there. 100 yards and in we do at my personal range and farther is done at my friends farm.

I picked up a. Couple boxes of 80gr amax a few months ago so that's good news. I thought this barrel would limit me to the 75 and lighter

I picked up a 22-250 40' improved comp seated die so it's settled. Now I have to gather the rest of the parts

Let us know how it turns out. I dont know if you intend on hunting but it would make a good deer rifle with the a-max also.

Try the 75gr Berger VLD in the 1:9 barrel...should get 3400fps easily from a 26" tube with H4350.

It'll finish at 26". I've read some pretty conflicting info on what will stabilize in the 1-9 so we'll have to wait and see. The 80gr Amax I have a coue hundred in stock to try. I'll acquire a few more heavy 224 bullets to try too.

Hopefully his Tbac 30p1 will get approved so he can test with that on

Save your 80 A-Max - won't work in a 1:9.

75 A-Max is iffy but might maybe work driven hard enough, 75gr Berger VLD is shorter and thustly will be more stable but also is a "maybe" proposition.

I'll be happy with either 75. It will be his first centerfire so we'll probably start lighter than that and work up. That's of we don't torch a barrel before we get that high

Got the barreled action done! Now to open the barrel channel for the new tube. We'll start with the old factory stock and move up to something else down the road.

These are waiting for my form 4s to clear at my dealer also.

Buzz is 7 and Cash is 2 :)

It was a barrel of opportunity. First Benchmark I've ever used. The fluting actually looks a bit rough. I figure the finish in them should even out after bead blasting it.