• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 br

Here's 20 shots. 88 GR eldm, Lapua 6 br brass, 31.6 GR reloder 16, and CCI BR-4s
1000011573.jpg

Reactions: 260284
tried h4350. 30.6 gr gave me 2852 fps, 15.23 sd, 62.17 fps es over 19 shots. i had two bad flyers resulting in the worst group I've shot with this rifle and bullet combo. worse velocity spreads than with staball match. I'm not going to try it again. I'll give staball 6.5 a shot and also 80 gr eldm (seems like a better fit for varget). after that i will consider load development done.

FWIW, the last batch I loaded for my .22BR w/88’s was 31.9 RL-16. There was a nice node there but I never bothered looking for SD’s.

At the last match, we set my friend’s new Garmin next to it for four rounds. They all went 3048-3051 (24” Bart). Good enough for me.

IMO, RL-16 is titties for 85 and up. I couldn’t find a node for 80.5’s, so I think they want something a tick faster. It does, however, play very nice with Sierra 95’s.

I couldn’t find a node for 88’s and 6.5 StaBall, but it’s a bit slower than ‘16, so I’m going to try it with 95’s. I THINK 6.5 will want to be run a bit faster than ‘16 as well. I was at 2,850 (95’s) with ‘16, I’m not going to quit playing with 6.5 StaBall until I hit 2,900 (or just a smooch over, but quit before the primers fall out😂).

tried h4350. 30.6 gr gave me 2852 fps, 15.23 sd, 62.17 fps es over 19 shots. i had two bad flyers resulting in the worst group I've shot with this rifle and bullet combo. worse velocity spreads than with staball match. I'm not going to try it again. I'll give staball 6.5 a shot and also 80 gr eldm (seems like a better fit for varget). after that i will consider load development done.

Same results here when I tried H4350. Not the right powder for 22BR in my testing....

Reactions: Matt_3479
FWIW, the last batch I loaded for my .22BR w/88’s was 31.9 RL-16. There was a nice node there but I never bothered looking for SD’s.

At the last match, we set my friend’s new Garmin next to it for four rounds. They all went 3048-3051 (24” Bart). Good enough for me.

IMO, RL-16 is titties for 85 and up. I couldn’t find a node for 80.5’s, so I think they want something a tick faster. It does, however, play very nice with Sierra 95’s.

I couldn’t find a node for 88’s and 6.5 StaBall, but it’s a bit slower than ‘16, so I’m going to try it with 95’s. I THINK 6.5 will want to be run a bit faster than ‘16 as well. I was at 2,850 (95’s) with ‘16, I’m not going to quit playing with 6.5 StaBall until I hit 2,900 (or just a smooch over, but quit before the primers fall out😂).

24" 22BR with 88's @ 3050..?? That's cooking 🧐

Reactions: MilSpecOkie
24" 22BR with 88's @ 3050..?? That's cooking 🧐
I was roughly half a grain lighter and 100 fps slower, also a 24” Bartlein, always did right by me. Still is actually, I just switched to the Berger 85.5’s

You know Padom, your comment made me look back at me notes (I gotta start keeping better ones), but I worked that batch up last spring, and it was showing 2950 for 31.9, workup was done at about the same temperature, but worked up on a pro-chrono vs. his Garmin.

Another odd thing is that in my notes (assuming I’m looking at the right dates, didn’t write down lot#), the actual node was at 32.2 (around 2980 on the pro chrono) but 31.9 IS what was loaded because that’s what’s on the boxes (I am pretty religious about that).

I thought maybe I mis remembered what his Garmin said, but I checked my dope in DOF from the match, and there was 3050. And my dope was pretty good the day of the match (I just can’t shoot🙄).

Bolt lift, primers, etc have all been fine.

Weird mystery. If I figure out wtf I have going on (going to try the two different chronographs next Saturday), I’ll post it.

You know Padom, your comment made me look back at me notes (I gotta start keeping better ones), but I worked that batch up last spring, and it was showing 2950 for 31.9, workup was done at about the same temperature, but worked up on a pro-chrono vs. his Garmin.

Another odd thing is that in my notes (assuming I’m looking at the right dates, didn’t write down lot#), the actual node was at 32.2 (around 2980 on the pro chrono) but 31.9 IS what was loaded because that’s what’s on the boxes (I am pretty religious about that).

I thought maybe I mis remembered what his Garmin said, but I checked my dope in DOF from the match, and there was 3050. And my dope was pretty good the day of the match (I just can’t shoot🙄).

Bolt lift, primers, etc have all been fine.

Weird mystery. If I figure out wtf I have going on (going to try the two different chronographs next Saturday), I’ll post it.

Yea, Im shooting 4" longer than you (28" Bartlein) and my hot loads just starting to show pressure, especially on warmer days are right at that 3050 area.... Thats across various different powders.. 💁‍♂️

My go to is 3000fps and I have 1 load that is just under where I found pressure at 3028fps...

I get way lower velocity than you with a longer barrel. it's a 26" .219 bore

My load for 88’s is 31.4 out of a mcgowen 1:7 30 inch at 3026. I too think rl16 is the best powder. This is my pounding steel load. My 1000 fclass load is with 90 Atips. I would love to try 90 or 95 smks but they seem to be unobtainium lately

David

Reactions: westsidecamper
My load for 88’s is 31.4 out of a mcgowen 1:7 30 inch at 3026. I too think rl16 is the best powder. This is my pounding steel load. My 1000 fclass load is with 90 Atips. I would love to try 90 or 95 smks but they seem to be unobtainium lately

David

Thank you, this evening I'll review the old posts looking for load data using the 88's , I'm thinking RL 16 or H 4350 ?
I will have to look up my data from my 22 BR barrels, I had good luck with RL16, Varget, and H4895. 3050 fps seemed to be the magic spot for consistant accuracy, but I hit close to 3100 with RL16 out of a 26" barrel suppressed.

Last edited:

David,
At what distances are you "pounding steel" ?

At what distances are you "pounding steel" ?
This is a new caliber for my Fclass rifle as of this winter. I have taken my 223 1:7 out to 1000 yards on steel with the 85.5 bergers. This range goes to 1200M and I have done that with my 6x47L and plan to do it with my 22BR. The 223 is a little anemic for that distance. My friend who has access to this range is going to take me in mid March so I will know more after I have a chance to shoot but my ballistic program says the 88 are only about 1 MOA more wind at 1000 than my 115 DTACs at 2975 were. We shall see:)

David

Reactions: 260284
Thanks, I ordered 200 to give them a try. We will see if I can get a good node around 2900 or so. If so these are cheaper than Atips and would be better. It is definitely worth a try

David

Thanks, I ordered 200 to give them a try. We will see if I can get a good node around 2900 or so. If so these are cheaper than Atips and would be better. It is definitely worth a try

David
What twist barrel do you have?

I tried staball 6.5
the velocity numbers didn't impress me. I feel like it might be spiky as I experienced some heavy bolt lifts, sometimes even without noticeably higher velocity.
it does shoot well, definitely shoots better than h4350.
I shot two groups. one group of 19 that I annealed and loaded on the autotrickler v4 (Group A) and a group of 30 that I did not anneal and loaded with a normal lyman brass smith powder measure. both were set at 32.1 gr of powder. both were hornady 88 elds at 2.317 coal

Group A results: 2858 fps avg velocity, 66.2 fps extreme spread, 18.8 fps sd, 19 shots
Group B results: 2861 fps avg velocity, 70.5 fps extreme spread, 19.7 fps sd, 19 shots

precision was really good. shot a nice tight group. I put all 30 of Group B into the target and it stayed small, like 3/4 moa. if the velocity numbers are ok for you, this would be a good powder for bulk loading on a progressive as it clearly meters very well in a PM.

got a chance to shoot 80 eldm. I'm really impressed with these and think they might be a better option than the 88 eldm. Varget and Staball Match are both appropriate burn rate for them. I loaded 30 with staball match and 19 with varget. I started at an arbitrary 2.320 coal and 29 grs of each. both groups were really good. I think Varget might have more precision potential. I was able to shoot the staball group at a leisurely pace, with only 1 or 2 shots I would call as flyers. the varget group I had to shoot quickly and would take back maybe 3 or 4 of them. staball match had some slightly sticky bolt lifts. I felt like varget got the barrel hotter than staball but it might just be due to my pace in that string. I'll try and go back and check the time between shots. varget is a lot cleaner on the brass. Staball match gets the brass pretty dirty.

Varget prediction: 3023 fps velocity, 50.7k psi
Staball match prediction: 2886 fps velocity, 51.4k psi

Varget results: 3020 fps avg velocity, 34.9 fps extreme spread, 8.2 fps SD, 17 shots
Staball match results: 2893 fps avg velocity, 56.2 fps extreme spread, 12.3 fps SD, 19 shots

22 arc bolt gun load data from Hornady is out. Case capacity is only about a grain down from 22 br so it should be a useful guide for loading 22 br as well. It lists 88 eld as 2800 fps max @ 62k psi from 27 grains of Varget in a 24" barrel.

Fellas, I see most of the .22 BR forum is about loads and bullet weights so may I digress and ask is forming .22 BR brass as simple as taking a 6mm BR case and running it through a .22 BR FL sizer? I had a .22 BR almost 40 years ago and I have some leftover 6mm Remington BR brass that I converted but my mental acuity has diminished since then as to what I did ages ago. It seems too easy.

I’m just starting down the 22br road but so far it’s been Luce 6br brass and running it through my Forster 22br die without an expander and then over my mandrel.

I’m sure it would work just fine with the expander, I just prefer mandrel.

Reactions: YamaS3rider
Fellas, I see most of the .22 BR forum is about loads and bullet weights so may I digress and ask is forming .22 BR brass as simple as taking a 6mm BR case and running it through a .22 BR FL sizer? I had a .22 BR almost 40 years ago and I have some leftover 6mm Remington BR brass that I converted but my mental acuity has diminished since then as to what I did ages ago. It seems too easy.
I ruined a few pieces of brass doing this until I applied an outside chamfer on the necks; after that it was smooth sailing. FL sizer in one full step from 6mm to 22 cal, then expander mandrel after that.

yes

I ruined a few pieces of brass doing this until I applied an outside chamfer on the necks; after that it was smooth sailing. FL sizer in one full step from 6mm to 22 cal, then expander mandrel after that.
I'm hoping you can give me some information on .22 BR dies. My 1980s Bonanza/Forster are for 1.52" cases (I believe 6mm BR Remington were also 1/52" back then). However, current Lapua 6mm BR (Norma) brass is 1.56" Do the new .22 BR dies account for 1.56" or does the Lapua brass need to be trimmed .04"? Thanks,

I'm hoping you can give me some information on .22 BR dies. My 1980s Bonanza/Forster are for 1.52" cases (I believe 6mm BR Remington were also 1/52" back then). However, current Lapua 6mm BR (Norma) brass is 1.56" Do the new .22 BR dies account for 1.56" or does the Lapua brass need to be trimmed .04"? Thanks,
i dont think it matters.

shot the bergers with rl16. shot great but no better than 88 eld. pressure felt and sounded lower with the same charge so i think higher velocity is possible

My load for 85.5 bergers is 31.2 RL16 seated to 2.270 in a 30 inch 1:7 barrel. I am getting 3014 fps. These are my 600 yard load. My 1000 right now is 90 Atips because they shoot inside the 85.5’s at 1000 because of greater retained velocity. I also now have some 95 SMK’s to start load development on and see if they are even better than the Atips.

David

My load for 85.5 bergers is 31.2 RL16 seated to 2.270 in a 30 inch 1:7 barrel. I am getting 3014 fps. These are my 600 yard load. My 1000 right now is 90 Atips because they shoot inside the 85.5’s at 1000 because of greater retained velocity. I also now have some 95 SMK’s to start load development on and see if they are even better than the Atips.

David
I loaded 31.3 and had them seated out to 2.31 something. i have a 26" 1:7 219 bore and got 2903 fps. my confirmation load for 88 elds with the same charge was 2908 fps with multiple firings brass and 2915 fps with freshly converted brass.