• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 br

But I’m curious about the 8 twist 22br
Throw them in a calculator, measure bullet length minus the poly tip length, if you're at 1.4 to 1.5 bet you're stable. I can send you 20 in the mail to shoot on paper at 100 then 400, look for keyholes. I will add, most my consistent/accurate shooting rifles rifles have a stabilization of 1.6-1.8 on sg scale.

Reactions: tydex21
Anyone having luck with 1:8 with bullets in the 80gr or heavier
Just wrapped up..

24" Brux 8tw
80gr Berger Vld
Varget
3135 avg fps sd 6

Gave it 5 @ a hundo
Boxed it up and left

Screenshot_20230305_131252_Gallery.jpg

Anybody happen to have data on the spring-back on neck sizing their Lapua 22BR brass? I’m getting what seems like quite a lot: sizing die is 0.247” verified with a pin gauge, neck OD after sizing and no expansion (removed expander ball) is averaging about 0.2506”, so over 3 thou spring-back (or 1.5 thou per side).

I like to try and size mine down to about 3 or 4 thou of tension then use a km expander mandrel to set it back to 2 thou

I like to try and size mine down to about 3 or 4 thou of tension then use a km expander mandrel to set it back to 2 thou
Do you have any idea what the difference is between your die’s neck size and the OD of your necks coming out of it, with no expansion?

For example, if you’re using a neck bushing, what size is it and what size are your necks (outer diameter) coming out of it?

You know I've never really measured that I usually will use pin gauges to measure the inside of the neck.. also what tool are you using to measure the outside of the neck?

You know I've never really measured that I usually will use pin gauges to measure the inside of the neck.. also what tool are you using to measure the outside of the neck?
Micrometer with a flat anvil. It’s pretty consistent across cases, and I average the readings taken 90° apart, but they’re consistent too, within generally 0.0002”

So I wonder if what you could be seeing could be the case lube on the neck or the bushing maybe?

So I wonder if what you could be seeing could be the case lube on the neck or the bushing maybe?
I’ll be honest, and a bit blunt. It’d help me if we could focus on the question I asked. It sounds like you haven’t measured what I’m after, and that’s fine; if you happen to take the extra step in your process the next time you resize brass, I’d love to know what you find. Appreciate it!

Ya sorry I understand your question I was just trying to help think of something that could cause that much spring back but I also never check measurement and honestly I don't know how much it would even mean I usually just check a loaded round with a micrometer get that measurement make sure I have 3 or 4 thou chamber clearance and then select a bushing that is 3 or 4 thou less size check the inside with a pin gauge then expand with the mandrel to the final dimension I want

Ya sorry I understand your question I was just trying to help think of something that could cause that much spring back but I also never check measurement and honestly I don't know how much it would even mean I usually just check a loaded round with a micrometer get that measurement make sure I have 3 or 4 thou chamber clearance and then select a bushing that is 3 or 4 thou less size check the inside with a pin gauge then expand with the mandrel to the final dimension I want
That’s what I did with this setup also, but was getting almost no sensation when running my mandrel after the first firing. Come to find out I’m getting what *seems* like a lot of spring-back, but honestly I never check it on other cartridges so I don’t know what’s normal.

Manzella precision will be shipping both my 22br barrels this week! Excited!
That’s what I did with this setup also, but was getting almost no sensation when running my mandrel after the first firing. Come to find out I’m getting what *seems* like a lot of spring-back, but honestly I never check it on other cartridges so I don’t know what’s normal.
Did you anneal? Taking 6br necking down, then expanding, fireforming, then going to resize has had quite a bit of work hardening. Annealing will help reduce springback if you haven't done so.

Manzella precision will be shipping both my 22br barrels this week! Excited!
Did you anneal? Taking 6br necking down, then expanding, fireforming, then going to resize has had quite a bit of work hardening. Annealing will help reduce springback if you haven't done so.
Yes, I did, after the first firing. It’s possible I need more flame time, but it would be great if someone else could tell me how much spring-back they’re getting in their process so I can know if my situation is abnormal or not.

Finally get everything assembled. Hawkhill 28" comp coutour 7tw 219 bore, origin action, tt special pro curved, atx chassis, ace brake, gen3 razor in an audere cantilever 1.6" mount. Chamber is a 255nk 130k freebore. Gonna hopefully get that barrel broke in while in wyo with work in coming weeks. Gonna start at 28.0gr Varget with 88eldm and 90smk.
20230326_171148.jpg

Last edited:
I have decided that when my new 6x47L Fclass barrel (3rd one) is worn out i am going to go to 22BR for Fclass for the less recoil. I shoot a 6BR as my fun gun for all out accuracy so hoping that the 22BR will be just like it. So i am getting together the stuff to load and next winter i will put my 22BR barrel on my Fclass rifle to break it in and do load development. One thing i have noticed is that some use CCI 450’s. I have always used BR-4’s for my 6 BR with great success.

Do the 450’s really help? I use the 450’s on my 6x47 L loads but it was erratic with BR-4’s

I plan on going with 85.5 bergers and right now based on GRT simulation RL-16

Thanks in advance

David

Finally made it out to shoot the virgin 22br in some wonderful 15mph Wyoming winds rocking my truck, which I was using the tailgate as a rest for bipod and bag.
28.5gr Varget, velocity unknown/es
badly runout lapua necked down brass
Cci 450s
88eldm
Not a group over 3/4" and 40-50k jump shot pretty dang well for an unstable rest. Have another 140 rounds that I'll seat to -45 for rest of break in.
20230409_195753.jpg

Last edited:
Finally made it out to shoot the virgin 22br in some wonderful 15mph Wyoming winds rocking my truck, which I was using the tailgate as a rest for bipod and bag.
28.5gr Varget, velocity unknown/es
badly runout lapua necked down brass
Cci 450s
88eldm
Not a group over 3/4" and 40-50k jump shot pretty dang well for an unstable rest. Have another 140 rounds that I'll seat to -45 for rest of break in.
View attachment 8116983

Nice! I did initial break in and fireforming with 28.5gr Varget and 88 ELD with my first 22BR barrel and it was hammering... 2960 out of a 26" SD 7... Tiny groups

Reactions: 4O6shootist
Nice! I did initial break in and fireforming with 28.5gr Varget and 88 ELD with my first 22BR barrel and it was hammering... 2960 out of a 26" SD 7... Tiny groups
Heck yeah! I know I'd shot better from a solid rest. Hopefully conditions are calmer this evening and I can test more at 40, 42.5, 45, 47.5 50 jump maybe set up the labradar as well. Spring thaw is upon us and I never brought a shooting mat to work, so prone isn't going to happen. Truck tailgate is all she's gonna get at the moment.
So my use of the Hornady 223 universal neck sizing die put a lot of runout in the 200x prices new lapua 6br brass upon neck down , and caused a small bulge in the shoulder that's making closing the bolt inconsist. I also have 350 pieces 2-3x fired lapua 6br, these went through a harrels D3 6br die with a 255 bushing to size most the neck down and size the body. Final step was to run through the Hornady neck sizing die to get the remaining neck the bushing missed. These cases have far less runout VS the new brass that was necked down in one pass with Hornady die. Live and learn!

Heck yeah! I know I'd shot better from a solid rest. Hopefully conditions are calmer this evening and I can test more at 40, 42.5, 45, 47.5 50 jump maybe set up the labradar as well. Spring thaw is upon us and I never brought a shooting mat to work, so prone isn't going to happen. Truck tailgate is all she's gonna get at the moment.
So my use of the Hornady 223 universal neck sizing die put a lot of runout in the 200x prices new lapua 6br brass upon neck down , and caused a small bulge in the shoulder that's making closing the bolt inconsist. I also have 350 pieces 2-3x fired lapua 6br, these went through a harrels D3 6br die with a 255 bushing to size most the neck down and size the body. Final step was to run through the Hornady neck sizing die to get the remaining neck the bushing missed. These cases have far less runout VS the new brass that was necked down in one pass with Hornady die. Live and learn!

Yea I found annealing my 1x 6BR brass, then running them through my SAC 6BR sizing die with a bush that was halfway between 6BR and 22BR necks, to step it down half way, then I ran them again with my final bushing to size them down the rest, then final step was through my 21st Century mandrel. Everything came out excellent, no issues or bulges and they shot excellent from the get go with virtually no runout.

Made it to the range again, 28.5 varget is running 2950-2980 fps with 88s from my 28" 7tw 219 bore hawkhill. Lil spicier than I thought it be. Shot 38k to 50k jumps in 10 shot groups all groups under 3/4 moa best was half. Once these 200pcs lapua are all formed up, I'll do some powder tuning. I have about 120 on the barrel now, and I'm sure it needs a cleaning and will slow down some. Observed no speed up on this session.

Made it to the range again, 28.5 varget is running 2950-2980 fps with 88s from my 28" 7tw 219 bore hawkhill. Lil spicier than I thought it be. Shot 38k to 50k jumps in 10 shot groups all groups under 3/4 moa best was half. Once these 200pcs lapua are all formed up, I'll do some powder tuning. I have about 120 on the barrel now, and I'm sure it needs a cleaning and will slow down some. Observed no speed up on this session.
I would guess it might speed up as my 26" Benchmark 1:7.5 with 27.0 grains of Varget pushes a 85.5 at 3,040 and the 88's right around 3,000 fps. In loading OCW i ran it up to 29.1 grains of Varget before seeing any pressure

I would guess it might speed up as my 26" Benchmark 1:7.5 with 27.0 grains of Varget pushes a 85.5 at 3,040 and the 88's right around 3,000 fps. In loading OCW i ran it up to 29.1 grains of Varget before seeing any pressure

That's abnormally fast for a 26" with 27gr varget.

I've got 3 different 22BR barrels now, 2 are 28" (1 .218 and 1 .219 ) and 1 .219 26"

28gr Varget gives me right around 2930 out of 2 different 28" barrels with different bore diameters with 85-90gr bullets....

That's REAL fast

I had loaded up one 85.5 with 28.3gr varget for finding lands, as well as 90smk, 90 atip, 88 eldm. All 4 bullets were 2950-2970, the 4 shot group had the two Hdy and one sierra all touching at 100y, where the Berger was high left.
20230417_084611.jpg

Reactions: padom
Been running 90 gr VLD just thouching the lands at 3050fps with VV N150, 28" 1:7" barrel. Single digit ES and no signs of high preassure. Been hitting plate at 1100+ yards.

Going to test the 88 gr eld m soon, as it's easier to find and quite a bit cheaper.

Next barrel will be a 22 BRA.A
Anyone else with m140 or n150 experience?Im having a 22BRA done and will be using alpha brass ,450’s and 90 smk’s.Thanks

Anyone else with m140 or n150 experience?Im having a 22BRA done and will be using alpha brass ,450’s and 90 smk’s.Thanks
I'm a 22bra I'd go N150. N140 is pretty fast like H4895 I believe.

Hogdons burn rate chart list 140 next to Varget and 135 next to 4895.

What seating dies are you using with your 22 BRA? I have a reamer on order but haven't figured out a plan to seat bullets yet.

Hogdons burn rate chart list 140 next to Varget and 135 next to 4895.

What seating dies are you using with your 22 BRA? I have a reamer on order but haven't figured out a plan to seat bullets yet.
N150 makes velocity equal per grain in my 6gt and 6dasher. I guess I haven't tried it in the 22br yet.

My 22bra should be done in a few days and I’ll be starting with n140 and n150 with 75’s to try. Once it gets here I’ll post my experiences

Thread been going for over 4 1/2 years and man am I glad. There is alot of value info in here. My 22br should be done by this weekend. I already have 150 pcs of peterson brass sized, going to fireform and hopefully won't have to do a skim cut . I have a. 253 neck and a. 2495 loaded round. I'm going to fireform with 28gr varget. Can anybody think of anything else I might need to do?

Thread been going for over 4 1/2 years and man am I glad. There is alot of value info in here. My 22br should be done by this weekend. I already have 150 pcs of peterson brass sized, going to fireform and hopefully won't have to do a skim cut . I have a. 253 neck and a. 2495 loaded round. I'm going to fireform with 28gr varget. Can anybody think of anything else I might need to do?
Buy more brass, depending on what shooting disciplines you pursue; 150 is barely enough to shoot a one-day PRS match, and not enough for a two-day or a training session and zero confirmation before the one-day.

But your load sounds good to go to start.

Reactions: ballisticdaddy
Buy more brass, depending on what shooting disciplines you pursue; 150 is barely enough to shoot a one-day PRS match, and not enough for a two-day or a training session and zero confirmation before the one-day.

But your load sounds good to go to start.
I shoot prs with a 6br. I wanted to try out the peterson brass to see if it was good, or should I use alpha. I do however plan to use the 22br for some matches.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
I shoot prs with a 6br. I wanted to try out the peterson brass to see if it was good, or should I use alpha. I do however plan to use the 22br for some matches.
I use alpha 6bra, and there are some problems with the common reamers at the 200 line, lapua chambers are bigger at the base, the alpha brass is so hard at the base it won't expand and grip chamber. I just had a new barrel cut with a alpha 6br chamber and I'm still getting bolt thrust/lift issues. Lapua is the gold standard on 6br brass, use it if you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: DH302
I use alpha 6bra, and there are some problems with the common reamers at the 200 line, lapua chambers are bigger at the base, the alpha brass is so hard at the base it won't expand and grip chamber. I just had a new barrel cut with an alpha 6br chamber and I'm still getting bolt thrust/lift issues. Lapua is the gold standard on 6br brass, is it if you can.
Using the OCD brass, or the original Alpha stuff?

Using the OCD brass, or the original Alpha stuff?
Everything BR based from Alpha has been OCD I believe(maybe not dasher from 2021). My BRA is from early 22, I know their dasher brass is good to go. But BRA has been a problem. I'm still breaking in my alpha spec chambered barrel, but 31gr varget is giving random bolt lift with 108bt going 2850 from a 28" barrel. Light load. However my old barrels ammo with 33.4gr H4350 was running 2930 with 105s and no lift. Weird shit........

Alpha recommends a reamer with a 0.4705-0.471 spec at 0.200 line of chamber for best performance. A lot of prints for br and bra have a 0.4714 dimension at the 0.200 line, where as dasher is most commonly 0.4706-0.471. Alpha dasher brass has been a great success, while the bra has had widley mixed results, experienced first hand. Now they release BR that is designed around cip chamber specs, which is not where most custom us spec chambers are at. I see more problems ahead with their br brass I chambers with anything larger than 0.4710 at 0.200 line.

I have noticed they recommend a reamer specifically for their brass. Have you heard anything about the peterson brass besides less capacity?

I have noticed they recommend a reamer specifically for their brass. Have you heard anything about the peterson brass besides less capacity?
Peterson will be fine in the common chambers being used in the precision game. Alpha ocd has such a hard base, it will not expand enough to grip a chamber that's large base. This is only a problem with the BR variants. I've used a ton their OCD 6gt and creedmoor, and I believe the longer case wall gives more grip. However their brass is best used in min saami reamers, factory rifles such as a Tikka, bergara, whatever will likely have oversized chambers and will not work well with alpha OCD brass, I highly recommend lapua for those applications.

Last edited:
Reactions: DH302
Taking the leap into the 22BR world. See how we go Friday.....hopefully works. 26" IBI 6.5 twist shooting 85.5s. Play around with 27.5-28.5g Varget for break in. Just hoping bullets make it to the target with the fast twist. Cheers.

Reactions: Matt_3479
Taking the leap into the 22BR world. See how we go Friday.....hopefully works. 26" IBI 6.5 twist shooting 85.5s. Play around with 27.5-28.5g Varget for break in. Just hoping bullets make it to the target with the fast twist. Cheers.
Well let us know, Ibi also runs a tight bore

Reactions: Heffo
Does it make any sense to use a bushing neck sizer instead of fl bushing sizer?Was thinking with new brass it may work easier.Probably going down in two steps

Does it make any sense to use a bushing neck sizer instead of fl bushing sizer?Was thinking with new brass it may work easier.Probably going down in two steps
Neck sizing die doesn't size body of case, that's fine for intial neck down. But once you start sizing after first firing, a FL bushing die utilizing 002-003 shoulder bump has become the more common desired method of brass sizing.

Neck sizing die doesn't size body of case, that's fine for intial neck down. But once you start sizing after first firing, a FL bushing die utilizing 002-003 shoulder bump has become the more common desired method of brass sizing.
Thanks.Everything I load is fl sized.Was just curious if there was any advantage to necking down from 6 to 22 with neck sizer.Don’t need to bump shoulders on the virgin brass or size body at all.

Thanks.Everything I load is fl sized.Was just curious if there was any advantage to necking down from 6 to 22 with neck sizer.Don’t need to bump shoulders on the virgin brass or size body at all.
FL die shouldn't be sizing case much, if at all. Just set the die up high enough to not bump shoulder and it'll basically act like the neck die.

Anyone have been running the 90gr sierra lately?

I was in love with the 95gr, being out of stock for a year now, I switched to 88 ELD, but I keep having weird flyers during matches (about 1 or 2 per 100rds) and would like to get back to sierra consistency. 90gr looks like a suitable option, any opinion on this?