• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.22 CONVERSION THROUGH MATCH BARREL???

Bunnypunter

6.5pewpew
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
Northern Utah
I recently purchased a Colt Competition AR with a match grade stainless barrel. I am wondering if I shoot a CCMG .22 conversion kit will it effect the accuracy and barrel? Currently this gun will fling anything fired though it into nice groups. I dont want to mess that up. If this had been addressed before I apoligize. My Google-fu is weak. Thanks.

Re: .22 CONVERSION THROUGH MATCH BARREL???

Just remember that the 22lr is a very dirty round and to clean the barrel before and after you shoot it. And don't forget to clean the gas tube. Now, your gonna be shooting a bullet that measures .221 through a barrel designed for a bullet .224 in diameter, the faster the round the better I find they group down range through my rock river 16" barrel. The best I got with my set up was 1-1/2" at 100 yards. Oh and 1 more thing, keep the .22 bolt carrier well lubed. They suck dry

My brother goes back and forth on his. Never any problems. If you are going to shoot a lot of 22, I would recommend a good cleaning with Lead-out before going back to 5.56.

I plan to purchase a CMMG in the near future and use it in any of my barrels including a NM upper I built. I can't forsee any problems you may have. Lots of folks use them without reservation. I know plenty of HP shooters that use them in their NM barrels. I have heard no compliants of worn barrels.
I would as has been suggested clean your gas tube and port after hard use of the conversion. The biggest problem should only be dirty gas system.

On a side note: Barrel wrenches and vice blocks are fairly cheap and a greta investment. IF you were to shoot your barrel out with 22lr ammo,which I highly doubt the possibility, then simply get another barrel and install. It is quite simple I assure you.
Good luck and have fun.