• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wiley2019

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2022
Texas
Hello, like many of y’all, I got some Black Friday emails that were too good to pass up and it looks like I’ve got a couple new builds in the works. The first will be a lightweight 300wsm on an Origin with a CarbonSix 20” and a Manners EH6a stock.

The second rifle is going to be a 22 creedmoor, origin action again. That one I haven’t ordered a stock or barrel because I’m torn between building it lightweight and shortish like the 300wsm as my truck rifle (I work in livestock so it really would be an everyday tool), or if I should build it long and heavy to take full advantage of the cartridge for long range varmint hunting.

From what I can tell, this cartridge will excel in either configuration so I’m wanting to hear from folks with one to see where they think it would be best suited. My main concern with building it light is if the little bullet will do it’s job in the field if I have to put a cow down or something, I don’t want to build it light, end up favoring the 300 for my all purpose rifle and feeling like I could be getting more out of the creedmoor had I built it longer and heavier when predator hunting. And I know it will put down a cow if I need it to, but over the years I’ve found that the higher caliber rifles do a quicker job which is clearly preferable.

Thanks for y’all’s input

I have had a 21/24/and 26 inch barrel in 22Creedmoor. I would say if not running suppressEd then24 is a good bet in 1/8 twist running 75/80 gr bullets at 3400fps+ or -

If it's a work tool, make it so. Short, handy, light, quiet, deadly. I'd go 18-20" 7.5tw(important: get a 219 vs 218 bore) run a supressor, light stock or chassis. A 3-15 or 4-20X scope is plenty for the creed. The trijicon credo are quite robust and light.

A .22 Creedmoor will be very overbore. Will probably have a barrel life of 1,000 rounds or less.

If that doesn't bother you, go for it. Otherwise consider something like a .22BR.

Yep 1000-1200 is about right. My first barrel was toast after a little over a 1000 but most of that was shooting coyotes and other various predators plus about 40 deer so I felt like I got my moneys worth!! So I bought two barrels next go round!!
Been shooting 22 Creedmoor since 2014.

Reactions: kthomas
If you really want to run it short a 22-250 is basically the same thing set up for lighter bullets. The Creedmoor is set up for heavies and you won’t get that performance without barrel length.

Is there any gain going 26” over 24”, looking at building a rifle that won’t be suppressed.