• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 Creedmoor shooters - any regrets?

Is the barrel being shot out at 1,300 rounds mostly a throat issue that can be fixed by setting back a turn and rechambering? Or, is it the bore becomes shot out?

If it's the bore becomes shot out (rough, or cracked) can barrel life be extended with Ultra Bore Coat (Dyna Bore Coat) or similar?

Last edited:
Sounds competitive ballistically with the .25-'06, which I tried and gave back because of the noise, recoil, and serious misgivings about bore life.

I'm guessing the 22CM has less recoil, maybe less bore life (maybe not), and I simply can't imagine that anyone shooting it really cares that much about said noise.

Please keep us informed.

Greg

Anything new to report on the 22CM, I'm debating this cartridge for my Nucleus build.. Have a 6mm creed barrel on the group buy from Josh but I'm thinking about selling it when it arrives..

Sounds competitive ballistically with the .25-'06, which I tried and gave back because of the noise, recoil, and serious misgivings about bore life.

I'm guessing the 22CM has less recoil, maybe less bore life (maybe not), and I simply can't imagine that anyone shooting it really cares that much about said noise.

Please keep us informed.

Greg

Much better ballistics than the 25-06. I'd say barrel life will likely be similar but could be wrong.

Interesting ballistics on these 22 Creeds.

Look like the nastiest fastiest lazer beam .22 out there.

How does it compare to the 22-243?

My .223 1-8 Super Varmint spat the 69 TMK out at 3145 and it was lethal out to 400+ on Goats and medium sized game. I can only imagine another 300 fps would be screaming and silly accurate right out there.

I just burned up the bbl on a fast twist 22/250. Is shooting the 75gr+ bullets quicker at burning up barrels . I bet I had no more than a 1,000 rnds thru it.

I just burned up the bbl on a fast twist 22/250. Is shooting the 75gr+ bullets quicker at burning up barrels . I bet I had no more than a 1,000 rnds thru it.

Might be worth investigating the 22 Terminator. Looks a really good option and I'm going that route for my boy.

I have a Tikka T3 that I'm considering having re-barreled in 22 Creedmoor and plan to shoot the 90-95 grain SMK. I know Sierra recommends minimum of 1:6.5 twist for the 95 grain bullet and I was just wondering if anyone has real world experience shooting this bullet. I have read on some threads that due to the velocity the 22 Creedmoor can generate that 1:7 twist would be fine. Also would like info on what freebore is required for the 95s. I would like a little room to chase the lands over time to extend barrel life. Thanking you in advance...

I have a Tikka T3 that I'm considering having re-barreled in 22 Creedmoor and plan to shoot the 90-95 grain SMK. I know Sierra recommends minimum of 1:6.5 twist for the 95 grain bullet and I was just wondering if anyone has real world experience shooting this bullet. I have read on some threads that due to the velocity the 22 Creedmoor can generate that 1:7 twist would be fine. Also would like info on what freebore is required for the 95s. I would like a little room to chase the lands over time to extend barrel life. Thanking you in advance...
Contact Derrick at Horizon Firearms. He builds a ton of 22 Creedmoors and is an excellent source of information. He just posted a Facebook live video a few days ago talking about twist rates.

Reactions: Tikka User
WTO is spinning me up a 7 twist 22LRV (similar speed to 22 Creed) this week. i plan to shoot the 95s.

his testing with the 95 was with only 8 twists afaik and it produced some good results. i sent him the first 7 to do.

WTO is spinning me up a 7 twist 22LRV (similar speed to 22 Creed) this week. i plan to shoot the 95s.

his testing with the 95 was with only 8 twists afaik and it produced some good results. i sent him the first 7 to do.

I'm waiting on mine from him. He's working up loads for the 90gr Berger for me.

Reactions: davere
Got 6.5 twist blank from Brux, was planning on doing an 18" .22 Creed. Called TBAC to double check minimum barrel length for my Ultra 7 and Ultra 9, they informed me minimum length is 18.5". Planning on a shortie running 95 SMK and 90 vld... Will report back once I get it out shooting.

@b6graham & @CBlack ,

Any updates on your 22 LRV? I was curious about this cartridge myself and am very interested to hear how it turns out for you guys.

Got an email from them saying they were working on loads this past week. Only thing I know is that they're using Tubb/Norma brass.

Soon, very soon....

I've been curious if you can get the 95 SMK up to 3150 using H1000 in the LRV... and if that would have an even more positive effect on barrel lifetime.
Clayton was using H4831SC. Maxed around 3300 in a 25"

Clayton was using H4831SC. Maxed around 3300 in a 25"

Yeah, that's what he was saying. I conjectured that there might be enough room to stuff it full of H1000, but don't know if he ever tried... ha ha. Either way, he just spun up a new 6.5 CM barrel for me, so I have a little while to see how things develop before I take the plunge!

I ordered a tikka prefit from pva in 22 creedmoor, 23 inch, 7 twist, ctr profile. My question is would the tikka lite profile be to thin in regard to barrel heating-premature bore damage-shot stringing due to barrel heat? I know the benchmark #5 contour seems to be closer to the tikka lite profile, and guys have had good results with that profile. I hate to go to heavy if I dont need to. There should be plenty of barrel crown thickness using 1/2-28 muzzle threads for my can using a 5/8 thread adapter on the tikka lite profile. The tikka ctr contour I could just thread 5/8 at the muzzle, and with a .224 bore the ctr barrel profile is going to be heavier than with a .264, or .308 bore. What are your thoughts? I plan to carry this rig for coyotes and also shoot for fun at the range( I understand the limited barrel life associated with the round). I plan to run 75 amax around 3300 on yotes, and 90s around 3200

Reactions: JBT
I ordered a tikka prefit from pva in 22 creedmoor, 23 inch, 7 twist, ctr profile. My question is would the tikka lite profile be to thin in regard to barrel heating-premature bore damage-shot stringing due to barrel heat? I know the benchmark #5 contour seems to be closer to the tikka lite profile, and guys have had good results with that profile. I hate to go to heavy if I dont need to. There should be plenty of barrel crown thickness using 1/2-28 muzzle threads for my can using a 5/8 thread adapter on the tikka lite profile. The tikka ctr contour I could just thread 5/8 at the muzzle, and with a .224 bore the ctr barrel profile is going to be heavier than with a .264, or .308 bore. What are your thoughts? I plan to carry this rig for coyotes and also shoot for fun at the range( I understand the limited barrel life associated with the round). I plan to run 75 amax around 3300 on yotes, and 90s around 3200
dont go blasting 20 round strings and the small profile should be fine. if it's always cool when you shoot it doesnt matter much

Hornady has 22 creedmoor brass on the 2019 catalog. I’ve been using necked down 6mm creedmoor brass. 95gr SMK @ 3085fps. I could run it harder but found great accuracy at 3085fps.

Same speed mine liked as well with 4831sc. Shoots great

Anyone here loaded down 22CM to .223 levels? Asking because AI does not make a .223 bolt and was wondering if this would be a lower cost trainer compared to my .308 barrel without building a whole rifle (not in any plan of mine, a barrel is reasonable, not a full rifle).

I know brass would be the same price, but I figure less powder and run 75 grainers could significantly extend barrel and brass life while having less cost per shot than my .308 will.

Reactions: deersniper
Anyone here loaded down 22CM to .223 levels? Asking because AI does not make a .223 bolt and was wondering if this would be a lower cost trainer compared to my .308 barrel without building a whole rifle (not in any plan of mine, a barrel is reasonable, not a full rifle).

I know brass would be the same price, but I figure less powder and run 75 grainers could significantly extend barrel and brass life while having less cost per shot than my .308 will.

I'm sure it could be done. I know guys run 22-243ai with h1000 and even retumbo and get great barrel life with them. I'm sure if you dont care about performance then it could be done.

Could buy a lot of 308 bullets for the cost of a barrel, dies, brass, ect

True, I’d have to calculate that out. Figure it’d take about 2k rounds of downloaded 22CM to break even.

Figure 1k for startup cost (barrel, brass, etc). Cost me about $0.54ish per shot of 308 (not counting brass). Nerfed 22CM would probably be about $0.30 per shot not counting brass according to my .223 estimates running a 75 ELDM.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
Yeah, looks like it’d be around $898 for startup using a PVA prefit ($530), $200 for dies, $110 in brass, $22 in bullets, $6 in primers, $30 in powder. That equals ~1,600 match 308 loads, or ~3,000 nerfed 22CM loads.

Already plan on using 150 FMJs for barricade practice (~$0.35 per shot).

Interesting thought though for the 22CM, seems like a great little cartridge.

It’d take roughly $2,500 for an AI 22lr trainer (Voodoo barreled action, AI chassis, CG Mod 22 trigger), not worth it.

No regrets here.

80.5 berger at 3440 24" 1-8 barrel

75's are 3500
69's are almost 3600

I just sized down 6cm hornady brass using one pass through the die, easy enough.
That's incredible. I'd love to read more about your load development.

No regrets.

95 skm in Alpha brass cannot be pushed without excessive pressure past 3150 fps. Great accuracy node at 3085. Low single digit SD with H4831SC.

You can push a bit more with Hornady brass but not interesting.

75 and 80's to 3400 to 3500 fps easy and accurate.

Reactions: Jon Rinaldi
I was able to shoot a person's personal competition rifle chambered in 22 BR. Is the recoil comparable with the BR as the Creedmoor? If so... I may just be getting a rifle respun up in the Creedmoor. The sound of that 224 did not match the recoil. I still am blown by it. In my head it should be more recoil for the sheer thump that I heard it sch-wack the steel at 500.

I was able to shoot a person's personal competition rifle chambered in 22 BR. Is the recoil comparable with the BR as the Creedmoor? If so... I may just be getting a rifle respun up in the Creedmoor. The sound of that 224 did not match the recoil. I still am blown by it. In my head it should be more recoil for the sheer thump that I heard it sch-wack the steel at 500.

It's all about weight of the rifle.

If we remove weight and assume speed are identical , the 22 BR will recoil a bit less(less powder used).

All in 22 cal are pussy cat and fun too shoot.

Reactions: davere
Ballistically, though, it seems like the 22 BR is going to lose too much on the target end vs. the 6mm calibers? A 95gr SMK at 3100 or so is a whole other story...
energy on traget
95 smk at 3100 500y: 1150 1000y: 600
105 hybrid at 3050 500y: 1150 1000y: 550

and the new toy 7SAW because its funny
162 at 2950 500y: 1900 1000y: 1050

.22 Creedmore A year later what is the latest consensus, any intel appreciated, loads brass, factory ammo etc ? My barrel should be here next week.

What are you all using these for ? Stew or hunting?
What’s the barrel life?
I see there is some factory ammo for a non reloader

I’d like to see this round gain traction. I’d build one if there’s factory match ammo.