• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 LR ammo is back to normal

DocUSMCRetired

Applied Ballistics
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2014
Texas
www.appliedballisticsllc.com
Just went to 3 different stores today, all had .22 ammo, and it was all about .04 cents a round. I think this is as close to normal as its going to get. But it was on the shelves (not behind the counter), and its the second week its been like this. Bricks of 1000 rounds were about 40-45 dollars.

Only one hole in the wall shop has it around here and they dole it out 1 box at a time unless you are a good customer then you get 2.

None where I live unless you happen to be standing there when the put it on the shelf.

Thats interesting, because everywhere I went today had it. Tons of it, on the shelves. Bass Pro, Academy, Walmart, GT Distributors all had it, and a good 5 to 6 different kinds all for about 4cents a round. Boxes of 50 all the way up to bricks.

Must be nice to live in America. Here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland, .22 is still hard to find. Dick's Sporting Goods had some Federal 525 bricks for $25, limit 1 per customer per day. Started Sat, out as of yesterday.

When I see CCI SV on line for $2.59 a box of 50
and 5 dollar an order shipping costs,
then we'll be back to ammo normal.
In the meantime, wikiarms is still showing 9 cents a round
and 20 dollar shipping charges, minimum.

Was at Cabela's in KC a few weeks ago and they had tons of .22lr for 15 per 325. Not bad, but not great. I didnt buy any. Ill wait till there are the 2200 rounds ammo cans of it again for 65 bucks and buy another 10. Still trying to work through the 10 I bought 18 months ago.

It's definitely regional in scope. We are not back to normal here, but you will see .22 at most LGS's now, just not in stock at Walmart. Those are still being cleaned out. I suspect, so that they can be resold at the friendly neighborhood LGS, lol.

I talked to a guy at local Walmart, They getting 22 almost everyday. But ppl still hoarding in up.

Yea last time I was in cabelas (albeit the smallest one there is) there was none to be found, plenty of other ammo, no 22lr.

Ive thoroughly enjoyed watching the non-shooting hoarders try to dump the thousands of rounds they have, at the ridiculous prices they bought them at. Enjoy those 20,000 rounds of Remington Thunderbolt!

Its good to hear that at some places are getting stock levels and all the hoarders are "full". Dallas area its still bare shelves and hoarders buying it as soon as it comes in. I personally do not pay more than pre-shortage (plus the normal increase of inflation) prices and I only buy the stuff I shoot. I wish everybody was like that.

I will say that I am not hoarding. It would be hard to do so without concerted effort and I have neither the time nor the inclination to do so. However, if things get where I can easily find and purchase bricks at a reasonable price, I will buy enough so that I can take my grandsons shooting and show them the fun and discipline that is shooting.

They are our future and I wish for them to have the same opportunities and enjoyment shooting as I do.

Sorry to hear that EasyGravy. It was that way here for a year and a half, so I know what you mean. At this point, I have just enough to want to bother taking out the Savage MKII I bought in January 2013 so that I can try to figure out what it will like to shoot.

Here in South TX it is still a little hard to find. I have not seen any of it at the walmarts in some time. The only place that I do find it (50 round boxes, limit 2 and bulk, limit 1) is Academy and Dick's. It is still kept behind the counter.:(

Glad to hear that in some places it is getting better.

There are some price jackets that have it, not paying what they want though. Probably won't purchase from them ever again.

Also one of the local hardware/farming stores let's their employees buy uo whatever they want, thus the stuff never hits the shelf, won't buy ammo from them, and will try to avoid any kind of purchase from them.

Thats interesting, because everywhere I went today had it. Tons of it, on the shelves. Bass Pro, Academy, Walmart, GT Distributors all had it, and a good 5 to 6 different kinds all for about 4cents a round. Boxes of 50 all the way up to bricks.

Where do you live? Maybe it's a regional thing?

I live in Frisco, TX and find it regularly at the Academy store here in town. Limit two boxes per, but they have it almost every time I go in. Price is not normal but not outrageous.

He in Pittsburgh I can get it at field and stream for $10 per hundo it's the cheapest and most available I've found

I doubt the current rimfire shortage situation is over, but I expect it's getting better,,, slowly.

We are going into what is going to be a heated election year . Speaches will be made promises will be made and Ammo will fly of the shelf . If you see a box of ammo or reloading supplys you want you better get it . What we have seen the past year is going to be the new normal . That being said all the big U.S supliers have said they have expanding rim fire production that may explain the recent replinishment to stores .

Haven't found any match grade ammo in NY. As to bulk, sparse as sparse can be.

The new 'normal' for me...

I was in Dicks, Rockwall TX and found FED American Eagle for $2.50/50rnd box.

Every WALMART I've been in recently same story, "...yea we had it (pick a day) and its all gone....".

If you hit the Big Boxes (Bass Pro, Gander, Academy) on the right day you can usually find something, albeit a bit overpriced.

Was browsing Cheaper-T-Dirt in McKinney a week ago. 325rnd boxes of FED Target Grade Performance .22LR ..........wait for it........$99.99.:eek: They were well stocked.

I cant find subsonic. Im open to suggestions for 1000 rounds.....
Try Gander Mountain by you. Here in CF, they had 3 different choices in subsonic two weeks ago when I bought some, all CCI, and plenty of it. That included the really slow stuff for use in suppressed arms.

All the Academy stores I've been in from S TX to N LA have had 3-6 different brands of 22LR. All behind the counter of course, but in stock at every store I went in. Limit 2, 50 round boxes of course.

I've been to Phoenix the last couple of weeks and the Cabelas on the West side of town had 22LR in pretty good quantities. Limit of 1 brick.

My local SoCal places are all dry.

Very little to be found in our stores. I walked into my LGS last week and found Norma subsonic $6/box, RWS R50 $19/box, Remington/Eley $15/box, and Aquilla HV $7/box and Rem Thunderbolts for $27/box 500. That is the 1st time in 2yrs that he has had it on the shelves. Limit 2 per customer. The Norma shoots great. This week it was all gone. I got a guy who delivers Eley Black and Lapua to me in 500rd bricks. Not cheap but great ammo. Would like to find some mini-mags for hunting season. It is still not back to normal in KY.

Irish

Actually had a known hoarder in the store this afternoon, and he never once ask about .22 ammo or any other ammo for that matter. My guess is (since he was crying about being maxed out on his credit cards and he didn't know where his next meal was coming from) he may have learned an expensive lesson... Or,,, he learned how to cook lead.... Either way, he's a dip shit.

Sorry to say the inflated prices your seeing is going to be the new standard.last year at perry(2013) there was a store selling cci standard vel
for 275 a case,limit 3 case's,sold out in 1 day. thought to my self "cool 22 ammo is back on the norm but a little hi",fast forward to this year
same store same ammo 375 a case, and a line out the door a hour long and limit 2 case's. . . . .thats right sold out one day!
my point is, i guess we are setting are own price with are over consumption and greed to sell for a profit hence shooting are self in the foot.
sad but it's going to be the new standard prices :(. and if it does go down i will be more then shocked. if it was your store and they where lining up
out the door to over pay when would you lower you prices?

Our store never raised its prices simply because suppliers never raised their prices until recently. And if you are paying more then the suggested retail on today's market from suppliers of $2.65 to $2.79 per 50 cnt CCI Standard,,, you're getting ripped off. Yes, we immediately limited the amount of ammo you could buy each day to one box (50 cnt) or one (100 cnt) box. We don't gouge anyone like the big chain stores did and do, and are still doing. Were we able to keep ammo on hand over the last 18 months? Nope, but we lasted longer with some on our shelves and we didn't gouge our loyal customers. Don't pay gouging prices and the retailers will have to lower their prices,,, but they will still make the same profit margin they were before they started gouging you. A lot of this does come down to the availability of the ammo. Greedy retailers, gougers and hoarders have driven up the price on the retail end,,, not the manufacturer's or wholesaler's.

Last edited:
I shoot mostly match grade .22 and no one in my area carrys it. Therefore I have to depend on Internet orders from places like Bruno's, and Champion Shooters. Last year it was mostly hit or miss with those two, but it seems that lately they have plenty of SK, Eley, and Wolf. Bruno's has the highest prices by about $1.00 more per 50 ct than Champion Shooters and others, which I don't mind. The part that screws me is the shipping which seems a little high sometimes.

As for regular bulk .22, there's only one that I know has any regularly, but he's out of his mind with extremely high pricing. Almost as much as match stuff for bulk quality. Bass Pro in my area has non, and Walmart isn't much better. We have a long shooting season in Miami during winter, and I'll go through 2 K to 3 K of 22 ammo easy. Therefore, I will be stocking up for that soon.

Unfortunately supplies are not back to normal in the shops/toystores I haunt in E. Washington.

Too many fawkerrs still hoarding, but some things are starting to show up occasionally

so, I choose to limit my .22 LR shooting till the supply chain stabilizes ;)

Here in Dallas, not so great. .22 can be had, even small quantities of cci mini mag, but it goes off the the shelf very quickly. I believe what the other posters are saying, I'm afraid with elections looming, this is more of a pause than a return to normal.

Not much longer before the .22lr hoarders stop buying it and realize they have 10k-20k .22lr bullets with a 10 reliable year shelf life which they probably won't even shoot. Idiots.