• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 LR ammo is back to normal

I still have many bricks of various lots of .22lr from my time shooting NCAA and even from before... The ones that are over 10 years Eley Tenex, RWS R50 Lapua etc have been giving me high failure to fire issues. These weren't stored in ammo cans with silicone in them like my new ammo is but rather in a shooting box for 10-15 years. I have since purchased new ammo lots and have found no issues. So your mileage may differ, I have my reasons for not wanting old shelf ammo and believe that being non sealed casings like mil ammo and not stored properly (hey you going to believe bubbas buying up Wally World ammo will be buying cans to store it) is the reason why aged .22lr becomes more an issue.

Last edited:
The new 'normal' for me...

I was in Dicks, Rockwall TX and found FED American Eagle for $2.50/50rnd box.

The Dicks in Gaithersburg Maryland had boxes of FED American Eagle for $2.50/40rnd box yesterday. Three box limit too. But a 40 round box instead of the old standard 50 round box seems like a rip-off to me. I guess they treat you Texans a little better.

Eley Club .22lr Ammunition

This where I just bought 30 boxes (3 bricks) of Eley Club. This has always been the regular price since I've been buying it anywhere else. They had 400 boxes of just this stuff, and lots of everything else in the match ammo. The shipping to me was $18.00 which I considered reasonable for the weight. This ammo works great in my MPR 64 which has the extraction problem with out having to fix anything. I think that if you wait for the hoarders to stop buying it so prices will go down due to low demands, then you might wait a very long time to shoot your .22. Plus with our current "TYPE" administration which caters to our growing ignorant anti-gun society, I think that we are headed for another panic mode in about two more years. Might have to take up fishing again and save my ammo.

The Dicks in Gaithersburg Maryland had boxes of FED American Eagle for $2.50/40rnd box yesterday. Three box limit too. But a 40 round box instead of the old standard 50 round box seems like a rip-off to me. I guess they treat you Texans a little better.

Since it was behind the counter I just assumed....

Called Dicks this morning.

Damn, you're right, they are 40rnd boxes - NO love here in TX either:(

The larger issue is people hoarding the ammunition. I had 25,000 rounds come in of Winchester M22 in 1K bricks a few weeks ago. It was all gone in six days! Word of mouth is very good at spreading the word. Almost every customer who came in had a "My friend just texted/called me saying you had .22!". I will give some advice here as well. The WHOLESALE price on ammunition has NOT GONE UP! Any store that is showing increased prices is taken advantage of the situation and you should keep that fact in the back of your head to do with it what you will. Shops around my area are trying to sell AE5022 500 Bricks for $39.95! Call them out on jacking up the price and they swear it is retail.

Last edited:
None up here in this part of ND.

None in my part of ND either. The new Scheels in Grand Forks had some when they opened the new store, it lasted about as long as the line, a week later they had Shorts, they lasted 4 days, I got 4 boxes. I haven't seen a box of 22 shorts in 20 years up here, or longs for that matter, and I bought those and still have them. My neighbor is one of those hoarders, he has 30 bricks of them and will not sell me one to go shooting with my boy, but that is his choice. I digress, the point being is that at one point he was spending $55/brick to get it. Don't worry folks, it will come down. One brick was recently acquired 2 months ago had a manufacture date on it from 2009!! WTH????? Any one else seeing this??

This is from my local shop:
photo (11).JPG
10559880_794986037189538_4084456752390928887_n.jpg

325rd brick $21.99, limit 5 per person.
He had to buy a bunch of other stuff from a distributor to get this volume of ammo.

I'll say it's back to normal when Wal-Mart takes longer than 30 minutes to sell out.

Three days ago, I bought 500 rounds at Gander Mountain in central VA for $24.99 on sale, $26.10, inclusive of tax. Yesterday at a gun show in Richmond, a few dealers had the same for $55.
A year ago, nobody had any. Now, almost everybody has some. Many are simply gouging, or at least trying to. Oh well.

The occasional small shipment to my LGS but it's overpriced and usually sells out the same day.

Three days ago, I bought 500 rounds at Gander Mountain in central VA for $24.99 on sale, $26.10, inclusive of tax. Yesterday at a gun show in Richmond, a few dealers had the same for $55.
A year ago, nobody had any. Now, almost everybody has some. Many are simply gouging, or at least trying to. Oh well.

I have been seeing the gun show gouge. With prices being 3x what you can find in local stores, in stock the same day as the gun shows. My guess is those guys buy from the stores then jack the prices up.

Found some CCI Std Vel. at Gander Mtn. of all places today. Not a great deal at $4.99, but not bad. Also had some Federal high vel. and on a pallet had some Rem. .22 and CCI Mini Mag and CCI Swamp Rat (or something like that). Maybe we're getting close to normal'ish.

Still can't find it easily in my area. The local Sportsman's Warehouse gets shipments here and there. They open at 0900 and generally any 22LR ammo that they got is gone by 1000. Today they got a lot larger shipment and still had some at 1230 but they're limiting it to a brick per person and it's still very overpriced. I was on Midway last night and the only 22LR they have in stock was the Eley Match stuff that is $18 for 50 rounds. If that's all they have in stock I'd definitely say things are far from being "normal."

.22LR is still hard to find in my area. The guy that works the counter at my local Walmart still tells me about the hoarders coming in at 630 in the morning to pick up as many bricks as possible. He said it has died down slightly but its the same few guys that come in like clockwork.

After my quest for the .22 caliber unicorn was completed, I kicked it up a notch. And decided to hunt the more elusive, endangered species of pistol powder unicorn.

Out here in AZ we are getting closer to normal. I was at Cabelas yesterday and they had a lot of 22lr still sitting on the shelves when I rolled in around 10am. Nothing great, rem gold 500, auto match 325 & CCI minis. Hey it's just nice to see it again. Now if they didn't limit you to 1 box bulk or 1 (100) / 2 (50)...100 rounds total; I have no doubt that it would have all been gone.

The new Field & Stream in Washington Pa has LOTS of rimfire for their Grand Opening. CCI std at $39.99/brick and Rem bulk packs. Wasn't wanting the Rem so didn't see the price but nearly everyone leaving the store had two in their hands.

Limit two per day/trip. Some folks were sneaking back in and hoping to get different cashiers and some got caught. We went up the next day and got two more bricks each and they still had plenty.

Dicks had American Eagle for $2.49/50 with a 3 box limit/day. Cabellas even had various brands on the shelf. Maybe it's easing up a bit finally. We're shooters, not hoarders shooting various rimfire/center fire matches each month and it don't take long to run thru what some consider a large stockpile.

Topstrap

Here in Columbus it's starting to show, walmart had some cci stuff and been spotting some at the other shops. Still the gunshow prices are 45-75 a brick. Walmart has been fully stocked on 9 and 45 lately, even having the 250 count umc bricks of 45.

Went back to Field & Stream and all the bulk was gone, they had some Rem 100 packs limit 3 for $10.00 each. Too pricey for Rem me thinks so we left ours for someone else. Canellas shelves were bare again.

Guess ya still have to get it when you see it, especially if you shoot a lot of matches or have kids that love to shoot.

Topstrap

Last edited:
I got lucky and found .22lr in two different stores in the same day recently. CCI minimags $8 per 100, and Mag Tech standard velocity $4 per 50. (Not amazing, but not super inflated..)
First time I've found .22 on the shelf in months. I'd say it's still far from returning to normal.

Has the match type ammo been easier to find nowadays? Wolf, Eley, Lapua, Federal Match etc?

Gunbot.net is the only place I have found to order 22 ammo at a reasonable price. It takes some time and patience but usually within a day or two of glancing in you can find what you want.

None Here

Here in Northern Michigan I haven't seen any .22 LR, .22 Magnum, or 17 rimfire in our local stores in the last eight months. Supplies are no where near "Normal" our area. Three years ago any store that sold ammo had all you wanted at a fair price. Not now.

BI

It is starting to show up in places more frequently here in Ohio, but still nothing like it was before 2012. When it does show up in stores it is usually sold out in hours or at most a few days. The prices in stores here are sometime pretty close to how they used to be, just a few dollars more per bulk box, but still somewhat reasonable. Just the other day my girlfriend and I both got a 300 round box of CCI AR Tactical for $29.99, and both got 1 box each of Federal Automatch in the 325 round box for $21.99. It is almost always 1 box per limit at the stores around me so when I see it is in stock somewhere we always go together and get what we can. I sure do miss the good old days where you can just go to Walmart at anytime and get a 500 round brick for around $20.

I hope it gets to a point where it is almost always in stock at my local stores before another event happens that causes panic buying to pick up again.

Just a heads up for everyone still looking for 22lr. Midsouth Shooters Supply has SK standard in stock for $5.70 a box as of today.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....SK_22LR_40_Grain_LRN_Standard_Plus_50_Rounds_

I bought a brick, thought about buying more, but would rather see everyone get a piece of the pie than a couple of people hoarding up 10k rounds or whatever. Not sure how much they have, but I would act fast if you need it.

I spent about 8 months trying to find 22LR in Tennessee/Kentucky. Everywhere I looked (Walmart/Dick's/LGS) it was always sold out. Only box I got was from a guy working at a gun store who helped me out with something not on the shelves.

Hopefully it is getting better but I am overseas and can't chech right now. At least there is hope for my return.

+1 on the next storm not being far away, especially if the Dems keep their seats this year and Hillary going for POTUS in 2 years.

i think this is the new normal, at least for the foreseeable future - or whatever the new normal is going to be, i believe it's not going to be too far away from what's happening now in availability and price.

flood gates open for a day or two, some localized stock through some luck, but then goes back down the crapper.

i've come to the reality that "picking up a brick or couple of boxes on the way to the range - and actually shoot it all" taking .22lr ammo for granted days are over.

almost the same thing with .22 mag in my area.

seems to be a decent amount of .17 hmr on the shelves.

AZ update: got a txt from a buddy the Cabelas was unloading a lot of 22LR today, shelves fully stocked. He said it lasted 2 hours. Apparently everyone was thing their buddies as well.

Hit and miss for bricks of cheep plinker & Subsonic here . I am down to my last 13 bricks and I am starting to worry . Retail better be getting orders in soon of my flavor .

Stopped by sportsman's warehouse Wed, happened to ask a guy a question, and he asked if I wanted .22s! He had just found 2 bricks someone had "stashed" in the back. They only let you buy one, so I got 500 rounds for $23. Lucky. Haven't seen any there in months. Our other good local ammo source usually has a few boxes of 50, but usually not the kind I want.

There's none around here I can find. It's even harder when you want a specific kind! None at Cabela's, nothing at Gander Mt. and all of the local shops have zip!

One of our distributors when I call the sales guy the first thing he says regardless of the caller is they don't have any .22 ammo so don't ask! Doesn't even say Hello first! LOL!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

The only stores in central Iowa that have any .22lr are reserving it for those who purchase a .22lr.

Last edited:
Definitely a lot of hoarding going on. However, prior to the current administration, the total number of guns in this country was estimated at somewhere around 65 million. The most recent figure I have seen puts it now around 150 million guns. Additionally, anytime I go to the range, they are packed. My range has expanded a few times in recent years and remains packed with shooters. I think the American gun culture expanding rapidly, not just with owners but with shooters. And that's good for a lot of reasons.

Has the match type ammo been easier to find nowadays? Wolf, Eley, Lapua, Federal Match etc?

Yea, lots of it floating around for prices not much higher than the flippers are trying to get for junk ammo.