• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 lr (AR22) vs 300 blackout for most quiet

rockwind1

Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
westworld
been using a smith/wesson ar22 with subsonic ammo and a old steel specwar 223. running a trijicon mk360mm. believe it or not,, it is for coyotes. sadly,, it is not so accurate after 100 yds. i am only using the 22 due to its quietness,, my 223 ar's with any suppressor are still substantially louder than my .22 lr. also, want a round that will not have much ability to travel far in event of a miss.

but i was wondering how much louder is a 300 blackout with appropriate sized suppressor,,, i have a 30 cal harvester and a 338 AAC titan

i want quiet but a little more accuracy hopefully but also something that will not travel very far.

i mean, if anyone has any input, would appreciate it.

the coyotes in question are bold and stupid and unhunted.

Reactions: Sigmanx and USK308
300BO suppressed is much louder than 22LR suppressed. How much louder? 3.7 quadranticuals (or some other unit of measure that won't mean anything to you either). You just need to shoot them to see for yourself. But be advised. Most 300BOs you'll hear are in the 7-9" barrel range and most 22's are around 16". But I would say a 22 is still roughly twice as quiet inches to inches(of barrel length).

*Assuming you're talking about subsonic match .22 and subsonic 300BO
i am talking about subsonic ammo so thanks, ,that is all i needed to know.

I shoot subs from a suppressed 16.5 inch barrel. They aren't perceived to be loud at the range, but when its a quiet night and I'm hog hunting, the FRP is pretty loud still. And I'm using 190 grain subx hand loads.

A 300blk with subs and a good can won't wake a sleeping cat out of a bolt gun.

Pretty much you hear the bcg cycle in an ar upper with same can.

In both cases you hear impact of bullet . Zero ear pro needed.

After 120 yards a 220g sub heads for the dirt.

Just my experience, 22lr with a SiCo sparrow with CCI standard velocity in a single shot rifle will be a little bit quieter than 300 blk with a sig 762TIQd (one of the quietest 300 blackout cans) in a single shot 300 blk but not by much. It has more to do with compression vs sound. CCI quiet will be noticeably quieter out of a single shot. True Hollywood quiet.

Reactions: rockwind1
been using a smith/wesson ar22 with subsonic ammo and a old steel specwar 223. running a trijicon mk360mm. believe it or not,, it is for coyotes. sadly,, it is not so accurate after 100 yds. i am only using the 22 due to its quietness,, my 223 ar's with any suppressor are still substantially louder than my .22 lr. also, want a round that will not have much ability to travel far in event of a miss.

but i was wondering how much louder is a 300 blackout with appropriate sized suppressor,,, i have a 30 cal harvester and a 338 AAC titan

i want quiet but a little more accuracy hopefully but also something that will not travel very far.

300blk with subs is very quiet honestly.

Reactions: thedude824
My 8” 300 blackout sounds like a paintball gun going off. In fact the trigger reset is one of the loudest parts of the gun when recording it while shooting

That said the 200 grain SB ammo I shoot drops like a rock. Which is the case with any subsonic ammo. It will pack a punch when it hits vs a 22 though

Reactions: Sigmanx
My 8” 300 blackout sounds like a paintball gun going off. In fact the trigger reset is one of the loudest parts of the gun when recording it while shooting

That said the 200 grain SB ammo I shoot drops like a rock. Which is the case with any subsonic ammo. It will pack a punch when it hits vs a 22 though
I’m still working on getting my can for my 8” 300blk.

Also bear in mind, heavy subs have a reputation for ricochets, not sure if you need to factor that into your “in case of a miss” criterion.

Reactions: ToKeepAndBear
Strange I cannot recall any ricochets .

I do not shoot at rocks or concrete typically.

I have noticed that with high velocity light ammo.

A 220 gr eld-m ricocheting off a mesquite tree is… unnerving…

I have a 16” Remington Model 7 in 300bo. With a very nice Form 1 can it is crazy quiet!! Not .22lr quiet but you would never think I shot a gun if you weren’t watching me. It’s more of a rush of air leaving the can. I second the Ricochet though. I use mine to dispatch Coyotes and I have to be really careful of the direction I shoot because of the neighbors. 2x10 Sig BDX scope on top and I have taken them out to roughly 365yds. Anything inside of 250yds is dead standing 🤣

I have a 16” Remington Model 7 in 300bo. With a very nice Form 1 can it is crazy quiet!! Not .22lr quiet but you would never think I shot a gun if you weren’t watching me. It’s more of a rush of air leaving the can. I second the Ricochet though. I use mine to dispatch Coyotes and I have to be really careful of the direction I shoot because of the neighbors. 2x10 Sig BDX scope on top and I have taken them out to roughly 365yds. Anything inside of 250yds is dead standing 🤣
Used to have one of those. Sold it and missed it so I replaced it with a Ruger ranch rifle. But I'm calling BS on anyone who says a DI AR is so quiet you can hear the bcg cycle. Every one of them uses gas to cycle and sound comes with that. Even my bolt gun has a fairly loud on a still night FRP.

I love suppressed 22 LR and 300 BLK! My 300 BLK Mini Fix with a Nomad LT shooting 150gr SP Hornady bullets loaded with TiteGroup is VERY quiet. My dad thought it was one of my pellet guns! But as other have said, ricochets are pretty noticeable with 300 subs. A 22 LR would probably be my preference between those two if you are really worried about bullet travel.

Have you thought about a 25 cal or 30 cal PCP airgun? That would be my preference for really limiting the projectiles range. Modern PCP airguns are incredibly accurate. There is an expense in getting setup with a tank and/or compressor. Pellets are cheap though. The guns can be pretty expensive if you are comparing to pellet guns of your youth. Inside of 75 yards, it could be a good option with headshots on coyotes.

Reactions: Sigmanx
Used to have one of those. Sold it and missed it so I replaced it with a Ruger ranch rifle. But I'm calling BS on anyone who says a DI AR is so quiet you can hear the bcg cycle. Every one of them uses gas to cycle and sound comes with that. Even my bolt gun has a fairly loud on a still night FRP.
The action slamming shut on an ar15 meters as high as 130 dB.

Reactions: 260284
True, but the gas escapes when it opens. It's still quite loud
If the action meters at 130 at the ear, and the suppressed rifle measures at 130 at the ear, then you can hear the action.

If the action meters at 130 at the ear, and the suppressed rifle measures at 130 at the ear, then you can hear the action.
If that's the standard youre using, then Id suggest that the suppressed rifle measures closer to 138-140.

My B14R suppressed makes WAY less noise than my wife's 22 cal Gamo air rifle with some sort of built on factory suppressor.

If that's the standard youre using, then Id suggest that the suppressed rifle measures closer to 138-140.
The metallic ‘clack’ of the bolt on an AR slamming home is distinct, and can be readily heard from a suppressed 300BO shooting subs. It is not the only sound. There is the ‘woosh’ of gasses exiting the barrel (and ejection port), as well as the sound of the projectile hitting the target, and as often as not the whizzzzzz as that heavy bullet careens off into space.

Is a suppressed 300 BO as quiet as a suppressed 10/22? No. Is it as quiet as a suppressed bolt action 300 BO shooting subs? No. Can I distinctly hear the action cycling on my 300 BO when shooting suppressed subs? Yes.

As mentioned in the post above mine.
Trying to be very quiet with an AR platform is a bit counter productive considering the bolt cycle alone might be 120 db and the suppressor is going to do nothing for that.

The metallic ‘clack’ of the bolt on an AR slamming home is distinct, and can be readily heard from a suppressed 300BO shooting subs. It is not the only sound. There is the ‘woosh’ of gasses exiting the barrel (and ejection port), as well as the sound of the projectile hitting the target, and as often as not the whizzzzzz as that heavy bullet careens off into space.

Is a suppressed 300 BO as quiet as a suppressed 10/22? No. Is it as quiet as a suppressed bolt action 300 BO shooting subs? No. Can I distinctly hear the action cycling on my 300 BO when shooting suppressed subs? Yes.
ok. So you own a DI AR that doesn't make any noise other than whoosh click, got it.

They don't think reading comprehension be like it is, but it do.

Ironic you should post such true information.

My B14R suppressed makes WAY less noise than my wife's 22 cal Gamo air rifle with some sort of built on factory suppressor.
I bet! A lot of the Gamo products advertise muzzle velocity and are supersonic. As a result, there will be a crack, even with an airgun suppressor.

Diabolo pellets are generally most accurate around the 880-910fps subsonic range. When shot in PCP rifles with an airgun suppressor they can be very quiet. The larger 30 cal PCP airguns are a bit louder. I find 22 and 25 cal to be very backyard friendly.

A 300blk with subs and a good can won't wake a sleeping cat out of a bolt gun.

Pretty much you hear the bcg cycle in an ar upper with same can.

In both cases you hear impact of bullet . Zero ear pro needed.

After 120 yards a 220g sub heads for the dirt.
yup...
used an AR 300BO (can and subs) expecting quiet.. and was disappointed.
Going to get a bolt gun, then!!! it will be quiet.

A 300blk ar is a valuable tool with specific uses and a hell of a fun range toy.

But ya you want movie quiet bolt gun, or you can single feed an auto. Almost as quiet.

That second quote isn't mine. I'm not sure now much it should sting that you use someone else's post to show the irony in mine. Bless your heart.
It's that you didnt understand my post in the beginning , then tried to verify that your AR sounds like a paint ball gun (I can hear my action close after the loud as fuck shot). So, bless your heart. And take your bullshit elsewhere. DI guns are loud and you're not hearing your bcg move as much as you're feeling it. But we get it, you've got a Hollywood quiet Di gun that no one else owns. Whatever. It's sounds like a whisper and Bin Laden never heard it go off when you shot him in the face. None of us own the very same things you're trying to explain , so only you know. We get it. Go away. We're reveraing you as as the 300bo AR God for Christs sake and there's no way the shot is louder than the bcg moving.

Last edited:
My 10.5" 300blk AR with my 220SMK subs are stupid quiet. Very very similar to my 22... I had a guy walk over and ask me if I was shooting a supressed 22lr the day I was doing load confirmation on my 220gr smk. The next day a women and her husband told me whatever I was shooting sounded like a nail gun.

All Shot with my Rugged Surge 7.62....extremely accurate too.

Reactions: thedude824
My suppressed Scorpion 9mm rifle running 147gr subs is also very accurate and BB gun quiet. The ejected brass makes all the noise. Much quieter than my 300BO suppressed running 220gr subs. Ricochets are loud from both.

It's that you didnt understand my post in the beginning , then tried to verify that your AR sounds like a paint ball gun (I can hear my action close after the loud as fuck shot). So, bless your heart. And take your bullshit elsewhere. DI guns are loud and you're not hearing your bcg move as much as you're feeling it. But we get it, you've got a Hollywood quiet Di gun that no one else owns. Whatever. It's sounds like a whisper and Bin Laden never heard it go off when you shot him in the face. None of us own the very same things you're trying to explain , so only you know. We get it. Go away. We're reveraing you as as the 300bo AR God for Christs sake and there's no way the shot is louder than the bcg moving.
I never said it sounded like a paint ball gun. You are making shit up to validate your mistaken claim that a suppressed 300BO shooting subs is “loud as fuck.” Someone else said their gun sounds like a paintball gun.

Without hearing protection, they are more pleasant to shoot that an unsuppressed 22lr shooting sv ammunition. There is certainly no ear ringing. The sound of the action cycling and slamming home is readily apparent. Without the blast from the cartridge, the sound of the projectile impacting down range is startlingly loud. And, while I won’t go as far as another to say that the trigger reset is the loudest thing going, the reset is surprisingly loud as well.

My retort about your abysmal reading comprehension was in direct response to your mangling of my written observations in order to dress your straw man.

I can write- without any hyperbole whatsoever- that you are the only person in the history of humanity that claims that a suppressed 300 BO shooting subsonic ammunition is ‘loud as fuck.’ As far as shooting stuff with a self contained metallic cartridge firearm is concerned, they are pretty damned quiet.

I wouldn’t go shooting one in the back yard of a suburban neighborhood, as they still sound like a firearm. But, I think it is possible that the report could get lost in a new development with a number of pneumatic hammers being used to frame houses.

At any rate, it is obvious that our arguments are passing by each other, so I don’t think there is a reason for me to respond further.

been using a smith/wesson ar22 with subsonic ammo and a old steel specwar 223. running a trijicon mk360mm. believe it or not,, it is for coyotes. sadly,, it is not so accurateafter 100 yds. i am only using the 22 due to its quietness,, my 223 ar's with any suppressor are still substantially louder than my .22 lr. also, want a round that will not have much ability to travel far in event of a miss.

What's a little bit more accuracy and how far are you realistically shooting? On face value, your requirements are in conflict with each other.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Some side tracking

1667570793665.png
1667570337261.png

Not sure how much more quite you can get than a suppressed subsonic .22LR. I can hold the action shut on my 10/22 and achieve bolt gun quite.

Makes me want to thread a .22 short I have to find out.

Reactions: 346ci
i know,, i am trying to not have to buy a new set up.
Have you tried match grade 22lr ammo from brands such as SK, Eley, Lapua and RWS? They're typically much more consistent and precise than something like CCI Subsonic. Many of the match grade 22lr are also at subsonic velocities.

Reactions: rockwind1
So is cci standard velocity .
No use shopping for sub ammo.

" Standard velocity " is subsonic.

Have you tried match grade 22lr ammo from brands such as SK, Eley, Lapua and RWS? They're typically much more consistent and precise than something like CCI Subsonic. Many of the match grade 22lr are also at subsonic velocities.
i am using an old case of 5k, 22lr subsonic prime ammo before the big drama, i also tried cci quiet but it didn't seem any different