• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 - 5.56

Like Dave that bullet did not like my 1-9 twist Savage (boo hiss ). Oddly though 77SMKs shot just fine.
This was at or just above sea level with Varget.

YMMV.

Reactions: alanapone
So I have what seems to be a good 20 inch barrel / tuner combination.

My problem is I have 7lbs + of H335 I have yet to find a load with .

Any 55g and smk 69g loads that have ran well in an ar for anyone?

I think the 16 inch barrel I used previously had problems with the H335 both have 1 / 8 twist.

I never had much luck with that combo in a 1:9 twist. It's a solid performer in 2 different 1:7 guns, but I found you have to push it quite a bit faster than possible with n140 to get it to group in a 1:9.

I was finally able to get some ok results with max loads of CFE223, 24 inch barrel, at 5-6000 ft elevation.
But they never were really stellar. I decided to stop wasting time and components, and just shot them in my other guns.

Sorry I can't be more help,

Dave
Damn it!

I have 4 tubs of powder and 2000 heads already as that was all the local dealer had available. I was hoping to get 77's but their are none in the UK currently.

I wonder if changing powder may help? I used to use 135 behind 52gr A-Max to great effect. I only changed to 140 so that I could use 1 powder for .223 and 6mm or .308 if I get one soon.

Is anyone using the following through a Remington 700LTR? (20", 1:9 twist barrel)

Hornady match 75gr HPBT.
N140
Lapua cases
CCI 400 small rifle primers.

I did a basic load with 24gr of powder and seated to 5though off the lands but the group wasn't up to standard (100yds gave a 3" group) I've not had much time to look into it yet and having remembered I signed up to this forum ages ago, I got I to this thread a bit tonight and saw a few people posting similar loads so I have some hope I can work a load out and get back to cloverleaf groups at 100yds again.

I just thought I'd ask if anyone is using the same components I have on the off chance I can short cut the process a bit. 😉

Your barrel twist rate might be a little too slow for that bullet weight.

I have excellent luck with the 75gr Hornady BTHP bullet, CCI 400 Primer, and VV N140 powder from my 24" Tikka 223 with 8" twist barrel.

Hey Kentucky - how much N140 you using for your load described above ^? Would happen to know your avg velocity?

I do. I'm using 23.8gr of N140, and with GFL (Fiocchi) brass I'm getting 2760 fps from my factory 24" Tikka barrel.

Thanks! I have a new 24" CTR that I am ready to start building a load for. This helps...

24.3gr N140 in 1x LC18 brass w/ a 75 Gr ELD-M is getting me 2713 out of an 18.5" T3x.

Is that a cut down factory barrel? What kind of accuracy are you seeing?

Yes. Cut down lite (non fluted).

8/9 at 1.15" at 114 yards. I know I pulled 1 shot which I believe is the flyer. I shot 10 but I took out a wire on my fence with shot 1 so I ended w/ a 9 round group on paper. Was right about sunset and I'm shooting with a fixed 6x scope so I couldn't really see the holes on paper through the scope to verify.

ke5HVsEh.jpg

Anyone have experience with the 85gr Barnes match burners? Im looking at a used 700 that is throated for them. Playing with a ballistic calc they dont seem to make much sense unless you get the speed up, the gun is 22" so I dont think it will get them there. More drop that a 75 or 80gr ELD.

Is anyone using the following through a Remington 700LTR? (20", 1:9 twist barrel)

Hornady match 75gr HPBT.
N140
Lapua cases
CCI 400 small rifle primers.

I did a basic load with 24gr of powder and seated to 5though off the lands but the group wasn't up to standard (100yds gave a 3" group) I've not had much time to look into it yet and having remembered I signed up to this forum ages ago, I got I to this thread a bit tonight and saw a few people posting similar loads so I have some hope I can work a load out and get back to cloverleaf groups at 100yds again.

I just thought I'd ask if anyone is using the same components I have on the off chance I can short cut the process a bit. 😉
IME the 75gr hornady can be picky with seating depth. Whats your COAL?

IME the 75gr hornady can be picky with seating depth. Whats your COAL?
C.O.A.L is 2.310

I tried a batch of 50 at 2.305 but the spread was a lot larger than I expect from my rifle and myself at 100yds. I then tried a few seating depths at a 50m indoor range and found a node that gave clover leaf groups so tried that at 100yd outdoor range but the group was again, much larger than expected.

I used 24gr of N140 across all testing so I'm thinking I'll go back and start again with powder charges to find a node and then do O.A.L testing after that?

The problem I have is a lack of access to indoor 100yd ranges. The ones that do exist are miles away and aren't allowing guests just yet.

C.O.A.L is 2.310

I tried a batch of 50 at 2.305 but the spread was a lot larger than I expect from my rifle and myself at 100yds. I then tried a few seating depths at a 50m indoor range and found a node that gave clover leaf groups so tried that at 100yd outdoor range but the group was again, much larger than expected.

I used 24gr of N140 across all testing so I'm thinking I'll go back and start again with powder charges to find a node and then do O.A.L testing after that?

The problem I have is a lack of access to indoor 100yd ranges. The ones that do exist are miles away and aren't allowing guests just yet.
Ive found that the 75gr likes to be seated back further that I wouldve thought in my gun but also I have heard this from others. Mine is a gas gun though.

Ive found that the 75gr likes to be seated back further that I wouldve thought in my gun but also I have heard this from others. Mine is a gas gun though.
That's what has lead me to thinking I'll just redo everything from scratch. I've emailed a few indoor places to see if I can get to a range for some load development.

That's what has lead me to thinking I'll just redo everything from scratch. I've emailed a few indoor places to see if I can get to a range for some load development.
I have shot the 75 BTHP at 500 meters out of a 16" 1:9 SPS Tactical with success, headshots on a steel silhouette.
Elevation was 5K.

75 Hornady BTHP
23.7 TAC
CCI 41
FC mil brass
2.260 OAL

I have shot the 75 BTHP at 500 meters out of a 16" 1:9 SPS Tactical with success, headshots on a steel silhouette.
Elevation was 5K.

75 Hornady BTHP
23.7 TAC
CCI 41
FC mil brass
2.260 OAL
Excellent, thanks Marshall, I'll see if I can work out the equivalent powder charge for Viht N140 and seat a couple to that length and see how it goes.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
You've already got my data for N140, FC cases, and 75gr Hornady BTHP. Didn't give you my cartridge overall length, but I also load it to 2.260".
Yes, I forgot about your data... Sorry, I'm at work on site this week so not concentrating properly on this. I'll read back through on the computer this evening.

I'm curious to know what COAL anyone is finding on a Tikka T3 Varmint with Sierra 80's. I've stripped my bolt and incrementally seating till I get a free bolt drop. Going farther than I expected thus far.

Reactions: jLorenzo
I'm curious to know what COAL anyone is finding on a Tikka T3 Varmint with Sierra 80's. I've stripped my bolt and incrementally seating till I get a free bolt drop. Going farther than I expected thus far.
What's the longest COAL you've loaded that bullet to? My Sierra manual suggests 2.55" when single loading in an AR. I haven't tried that bullet in my Tikka T3x Varmint, but would be happy to try if you sent me some 😉

What's the longest COAL you've loaded that bullet to? My Sierra manual suggests 2.55" when single loading in an AR. I haven't tried that bullet in my Tikka T3x Varmint, but would be happy to try if you sent me some 😉
Haven't done a single one yet. In the process of trying to establish one. By the Hornady tool I'm at about 2.416". If I try that with the stripped bolt, there is resistance. I'm going to keep on experimenting for a bit . I've only got the single box of 500. Otherwise I'd send you some.

Checking some old targets that I lost the data on , I have some targets that are moa out of a Savage 26" 223 barrel w/ a 1-9 T.
21.7 N-135 with a H 75 & 77 SMK The 75's were from some AR loads so they were 2.26 (+-)
24.5 N 140 with both 77's
23.5 I 4064 with "" "" ""

I managed to get out last Thursday to the range to try out some loads. After the chat on here and with a few friends I decided to seat all bar a few rounds to 2.260" just because so many say it seemed to work okay.

I left a few rounds as I'd set them from my last batch and then seated the rest to the 2.260 length to give a bit of a benchmark. I loaded 30 rounds to the same length and started off with 23gr N140 and went up to 25.2 in .2gr increments.

To my eye, the 25.2gr loading seems to be the best so far. When I looked at the cases, I didn't see any pressure signs so I may try 25.4gr to see if they tighten or loosen up. If they open up, I'll try working out a good seating depth next.

In summary:

Ammo:
75gr Hornady HPBT
Lapua Case
CCI 400 Primer
25.2gr Vihtavouri N140
2.260" OAL

Rifle:
Remington 700 LTR
20" 1:9 twist
ASE Utra CQB Suppressor

Attachments

• PXL_20220329_183633711.jpg
    PXL_20220329_183633711.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 78
Let us know what you find. I am wondering the same.

C.O.A.L is 2.310

I would keep working back to even 2.23-2.24. You may be surprised. Won't necessarily affect velocity but who knows.

Short throats, short magazines and short actions are the root problems with the 223.

If your jam length requires bullets to be seated into the donut, the chamber is too short.

If your mag cannot run cartridges that are long enough to seat bullets ahead of the donut, your mags are too short.

If your action cannot cycle such a round, your action is too short.

Best mags I found are Accurate Mags. The steel ones with a plastic insert. These are best because they can be easily modified by taking the plastic inserts out and milling them internally to suit a longer COAL.

As stated earlier in this thread: I run my 223 with 88 ELDM bullets seated to 2.625 OAL and feed from modded Accurate Mag with no issues. Velocity is 2900 FPS easy with no pressure problems.

Accuracy is 1/2 MOA.

Shot spray paint cans from 750 yards a couple months ago... Cans were on the side so I had to hit the diameter, not the side. Hit the first can with the first shot. Missed the second can and it rolled down the hill. Hit the third can with the first shot.
Could you elaborate on what you mean by the donut?

Playing around with a ballistic calc, apparently inside 1000y and under 3,000fps it doesn't make sense to shoot 80gr eld, smk, vld over the 75gr eld. Assuming they shoot the same group wise. The 80s have the same wind with a little bit more drop. Am I missing something?

Let us know what you find. I am wondering the same.
I ended up at about 2.454" COAL for the 80 SMK. CBTO is at 1.819" with a SAC comparator.
I even still had a box of 75 AMAX that is right there also. I'm going to use up the AMAX first.

Anyone running 80gr ELDs? Looking to try N140, Varget or IMR4895.

Anyone running 80gr ELDs? Looking to try N140, Varget or IMR4895.
NOT ELD's but Sierra , in their AR data lists their 80 smk's for single shot loads with a COAL of 2.550 that show the following MAX charges; 23.5 N 140 @2550 , 24.0 Varget @ 2600 , not I 4895 but I 4064 at 23.8 @2600. That get to 2700 with 24.0 AA 2520

Bolt gun pet loads for Hornady 75g ELDM's or Sierra 77g HPTB's running either Varget, Benchmark, H335, RL17, H4350, or CFE223?
Analysis paralysis trying to sort out where to start.

Last edited:
Bolt gun pet loads for Hornady 75g ELDM's or Sierra 77g HPTB's running either Varget, Benchmark, H335, or CFE223?
Analysis paralysis trying to sort out where to start.
If you have Varget or Benchmark, I would go in that direction. H335 and CFE223 are good powders but you will see more velocity variation with temperature changes.

Somewhere around 24 grains of Varget and 23 grains of Benchmark are where you'll most likely end up, depending on the brass. As always, start low and work up.

A good friend likes a hot load of CFE223 behind the Nosler 77

If you have Varget or Benchmark, I would go in that direction. H335 and CFE223 are good powders but you will see more velocity variation with temperature changes.

Somewhere around 24 grains of Varget and 23 grains of Benchmark are where you'll most likely end up, depending on the brass. As always, start low and work up.

A good friend likes a hot load of CFE223 behind the Nosler 77
Yeah, I'd more than definitely favor a temp insensitive load if I have a choice. Mornings can be 40's and afternoons 75.
I'd prefer to use something other than Varget as my last option until the run on it settles down. My 6mm's run on that now and am hoping to stretch my supply on it through the season.

Yeah, I'd more than definitely favor a temp insensitive load if I have a choice. Mornings can be 40's and afternoons 75.
I'd prefer to use something other than Varget as my last option until the run on it settles down. My 6mm's run on that now and am hoping to stretch my supply on it through the season.
Benchmark is a great powder. You are probably going to be down a touch on velocity compared to varget but the accuracy nodes are usually pretty wide.

Reactions: cp4895 and MDof2
Anyone have experience with N540? Particularly the 80gr+ stuff.

Here is what I got with N140, 75 and 80 gr ELDs. 26" 7.5 twist Bartlien.
Those are two 10 shot groups, each round increasing in powder charge by .2gr, still grouped great despite being different charges.

Attachments

• 75 and 80 eld graph improved.pdf
    101.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 10 shot pressure test 75s and 80s.jpg
    10 shot pressure test 75s and 80s.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 20220412_125818.jpg
    20220412_125818.jpg
    684.7 KB · Views: 108
this isnt the right place. read the rules. and edit/delete your post

Anyone shooting 80 grain SMKS at or around 24 grains of Varget? With them long ( 2.521" ) GRT is giving me an overpressure issue.
Thanks guys.

Anyone have opinions on 75 vs 80 eldm? I have a box of the 80s but am wondering if I'm better off with 75s. Rifle is a 24" bartlein barrel 1-7" twist wylde chamber. I want to use 8208. Of course the hornady manual has data for the 75 with 8208, but not the 80. What's a good powder range to work up a load in?