• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.223 55gr VMAX twist rate

NorthWesterner

Staff Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2017
Sedro Woolley, WA
Looking for some insight from people shooting THIS bullet in a bolt gun. What twist are you running? I would like to run 75gr bthp as well. I think 8 twist Wpidl be ideal for flexibility.

9 tw stabilizes just fine with 75 bthp. 77 hpbt sierra works great too. 8tw is probably ideal if your building, but if you already have the gun no need to change. i have used varget and xbr8208.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skunk
I’ve ran the 50, 55, and 60gr VMAX bullets in 9 and 8 twist barrels. The 55gr liked both but seemed to group a bit better with the 9 twist. The 9 stabilized everything I put in it up to 77SMKs.

Anyone try a 7 twist with the light bullets too. Such as the 50gr vmax?

Never attempted it in a 7twist. The 50gr group size opened up in an 8 twist. This was a 5.56 chamber with a bit longer throat so it was dang near free bore before it hit the lands. I ultimately settled on 60gr VMAX since it seemed to be the least jump sensitive of all of them.