• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing 223 for a muley

RidgeRebel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Hurricane, UT
I was thinking of using my RRA Coyote to hunt mule deer this fall. I know that my shots will have to be close but I usually hunt archery or muzzy so that shouldn't be a problem. Has anyone used the Barnes 62 grn X bullets?

Re: 223 for a muley

this should be fun.......

i have personally seen stalks on mullies to spitting distance....on video...so shot placement would be key

scan0011-2.jpg

First check the state where you are hunting to make sure that its legal to use it. Some states require a minimum of .243 diameter.
It will work with good shot placement...as long as the temptation to shoot too far doesnt happen.
I shot the buck in the photo above with a .220 swift at less than 100 yards It was a 55 gr Hornady spire point loaded to 3700 fps. It was a broadside rib shot and it completly passed through...he went maybe 20 yards after being hit.

Here in Utah you must only use a center fire rifle. But you are right shot placement is key. Thanks for the info.

The biggest buck I ever shot fell to a 243 win at 200+ yards and the 100 grn hornaday interlock passed through the chest and was just under the hide on the off side. The 25-06 is a great mule deer cartrige.

I have used a .25-06 Rem. for even Elkers and had great performance. As others have stated its the placement of the shot. A ell placed shot with a rifle that does not relocate your shoulder into the next county will always out perform a poorly placed shot from the "ubber" caliber guns. Less recoil=more quality practice at range not to mention the costs of each round fired. Last season I was out with a friend with a .300 Ultra Mag and after 5 shots he finally down his speedgoat. start range was 200 yds. finally hit it at 400yds. and it ran off over that hill then one more ridge. Still almost lost it but we blood trailed it. Not a very rewarding experience for me to watch. He is normally an excellent shot with my .25-06 Rem. Prime example of being over gunned. But his finishing shot was good and saved much of the time gutting the animal.

My 25-06 has killed everything I've pointed it at. Accurate, light recoil, blows right through ribs, and a really flat shooter. Longest buck was a little over 400 yards.

-Pat

"this should be fun......."

That made me chuckle, I guess they were tired of beating that dead horse.

-Pat

Should be ok for a muley... but I wouldn't hunt Elephant or Tigers with it.... <grin>

BOLTRIPPER... got an extra bag poppin? Light on the butter pls.

ETA: You must be within 18 paces in order for it to work... laffin'

People need to quit asking opinions on what to kill shit with. It's ridiculous, everyone is an expert or a guide for like a 100 years or a professional hunter or a I've been hunting since..... Hell yes a .223 will kill a Mule deer and a whitetail and black bear and moose and F'n what ever.

Ask your self these question: Is it the only thing I have? Yes, then go for it, Is it the best? very limiting, there's better.

The only real question is, Am I willing to risk my money and trophy to a .223? If the answer is yes knock yourself out.

There are basically two categories gun and archery as far as the record book goes. It doesn't count for shit if you kill some thing with a .22 or a 50bmg dead is dead you don't get bonus points for using the smallest caliber possible.

Good luck on the hunt and lets see some pictures.

kt

We hunt uphill, so our drag is down hill. Why would I want an animal to head
over a ridge and stumble down a steep mountain for 200 yards before he falls
over. That is a nightmare in the making. Anything will bleed out but it takes shock
to put them down.

My wife (she is tiny and a very accomplished shot with her rifle) shot her deer and antelope this year with a 22-250 and Sierra 55 gr game kings. None went more than 20 yards. Both were hit right taking out lungs on one and heart on the Muley from 300 yards.

If hit properly a 223 will do the job. Many an animal has falen to the 22 cals. I personally hunt with something a little larger so that I have a margin for error.

As said it all comes down to shot placement.

Do people really use a 223 for deer sized critters?.....who'd have thunk it. (grin)

I've used it plenty for deer at pretty good distances 375yds+ shoot em in da dome! or the brain stem the closer towards the brain on the spinal cord the better

A properly loaded 223 and competent shot placement will get the job done, but wouldn't be my first choice.

Back in 1978 this one fell to a 5mm Rimfire Magnum in eastern MT. 36gr JSP bullet at about 2300 fps MV. Deer was hit broadside behind elbow from about 100 yards. He humped up, laid down, and was dead when we got up to him. Didn't intend to use that chambering for deer, but we were out shooting jackrabbits during deer season, and well, stuff happens.

CopyofIMG_3684.jpg

As I recall the bullet entered between two ribs penetrated heart/lungs and stopped between two ribs on the offside.

If conditions are all good, it doesn't take much power to make a clean kill.

Use a cannon then shot placement does not matter the only decision is what pieces you want to take home to mama

MM, way to bring up the ante with a 20 cal and a 20 cal rimfire no less.

I shot a large buck a few years back with a 55 grain FMJ from a 16" AR.
I'd take the TSX over the FMJ just to cut down on the meat lost the lead fragments.
I'm using the 223, in AI form, from now on in my venison pursuits.

.223 is not a good choice for mule deer unless you really restrict when you are willing to take a shot. Short range, dead rest, head shot,s ETc ETc You name the circumstance of your limitation on your self. Be willing to let that monster buck at 400 yards go when he is walking up and away from you. I like a 300 winmag. I can shoot them from less then perfect angles without fear as long as you are a little reasonable. I like to use a 28ga to hunt ducks and shoot starlings, I also like a .22 hornet with V-max 35's out to 300 on varmints. A guy can certainly do it with a .223 but it's seldom a good idea. My .02 Jeff

That buck is a beauty. I have found most bucks shot with .22 center fire rifles are hammered or wounded. The .22's are just not predictable enough on big game. When you are dealing with calm, cool heads, and at known range with shooters who are willing to let animals pass if circumstances are not perfect they are fine. Nothing is 100% predictable but putting the odds in your favor is the advice I would give somebody that hasn't shot a whole lot of game. Anything can be done and I have killed several deer with.22 center fire rifles but It wasn't what I set out to do on the day in question. One of the most damaged deer I have ever seen was shot with a 55 grain Nosler BT out of a 22-250. It was shot behind the shoulder and you could have put your head in the exit wound. The deer never moved. Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SINGLE.SHOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People need to quit asking opinions on what to kill shit with. It's ridiculous, everyone is an expert or a guide for like a 100 years or a professional hunter or a I've been hunting since..... Hell yes a .223 will kill a Mule deer and a whitetail and black bear and moose and F'n what ever.

Ask your self these question: Is it the only thing I have? Yes, then go for it, Is it the best? very limiting, there's better.

The only real question is, Am I willing to risk my money and trophy to a .223? If the answer is yes knock yourself out.

There are basically two categories gun and archery as far as the record book goes. It doesn't count for shit if you kill some thing with a .22 or a 50bmg dead is dead you don't get bonus points for using the smallest caliber possible.

kt

</div></div>

It sounds like you have a lot of experience Singleshot.

The only point of disagreement is that I like to eat what I shoot so I'd probably back down from the 50 BMG a notch.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Warpspeed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SINGLE.SHOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People need to quit asking opinions on what to kill shit with. It's ridiculous, everyone is an expert or a guide for like a 100 years or a professional hunter or a I've been hunting since..... Hell yes a .223 will kill a Mule deer and a whitetail and black bear and moose and F'n what ever.

kt

</div></div>

It sounds like you have a lot of experience Singleshot.

The only point of disagreement is that I like to eat what I shoot so I'd probably back down from the 50 BMG a notch.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Likely just good at stating common sense. There is also somewhat of a fad in fishing circles(just like hunting) of catching large fish on light line. To the point of fishing for records on the lightest line possible(1kg.or 2.2 lb.).

They celebrate this achievement and others applaud it, but set aside the obvious. In sportfishing today catch and release is important for conservation. When a fish is caught on ultralight line, by the nature of the tackle involved it has to be completely "played out"(exhausted) so as not to be lost at the boat. As such, they shouldn't be released as they all die subsequent to release.
Here is an example of such achievements in this area: http://www.downundermarlincharters.com/article/2

In hunting, when someone tackles big game that is not inherently dangerous( brown bear,lion, etc.) and uses inordinatly small cartriges to do so. The game is lost to the hunter on occasion.

Thankfully there is no record book for the use of small cartriges on big game. Of course there is seldom pictures in the trophy album of the half eaten deer carcass the next day, from the "one" that "got away".

If my memory serves, there are minimum chambering standards for the taking of big game in the various African localities.

In New York State, the only caliber restrictions for big game are, Shotguns must use ammunition with a single prjectile, minimum 20ga. Muzzle loaders must fire a projectile of at least .44 caliber. Rifles may not fire rimfire ammunition.

My big game implements are 20ga Mossberg bolt action rifled repeating shotgun, .44Mag M94 lever gun, .50 cal sidelock percussion muzzle loader, and a .30-'06 M70 light weigh rifle. Varmints are addressed with an M700 VLS .223. Use enough gun.

Greg

PGS. Wow, great muley. Here in MT? Looks like somewhere on the eastern slope, but where's the orange?

Troskie, Thanks...Bridger mountains north of Bozeman...always take the orange off for pics...just me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elksniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here in Utah you must only use a center fire rifle. But you are right shot placement is key. Thanks for the info. </div></div>

I imagine the barnes would work well, as would a 60gr Nosler Partition. Muleys tend to be more stout than a whitetail. I'd prefer shots under 75 yds on muleys. If you're a bowhunter that shouldn't be an issue.