• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 for "big" game

I've used a .223 Bolt action on our smaller deer here in the UK.

Factory I recommend the 62gr Federal Fusion
For handloads, had good success with the 65 gr Sierra SBT

Best wishes,

Scrummy

I remember back in the day using my 22 250 to hunt mule deer. It did fine but the bullets available at that time was the limiting factor. With the slow twist rate barrels, Hornady made the heaviest bullet that would stabilize, a 63 gr sp pt if I remember right. A .224 might be all the gun a guy needs in some parts of the country with the bullets now available.

Reactions: HaydenLane
If you're shooting a bolt gun with decent mag space, the 75 eldm is my fave.

The way it shatters shoulders is shocking to anyone who doubts a 223.

I'm gonna be experimenting with 88s this season with .473 rigs and expect good things.

I second this. This really is a “it depends” answer. First shot on the first hog you can pretty much shoot them with anything pending how close you are….being deer are much easier to kill (at least in my experience) maybe not so much a risk with the ammo mentioned, especially Barnes TSX…..but with sounders of piggies once the running starts one has to be able to fire a caliber that will compensate for the bad hits and at least anchor or slow them down enough for a follow up.
I hunted for years with a 6.8 spc but once lightweight/shorter barrel .308s became a thing I stepped away from the 6.8….too many slinked off, even with multiple hits…..or were “dead” and zombied back to life….occurs much less often with a .308.
I've been hunting with a 6.8 since 2015 and just switched back over to 223 just because ammo is so cheap and thought the same thing. IF they are gonna run might as well use 223. I've actually done a little better on the runners because there isn't recoil. My new thermal has video so it lets me see that it's not the gun or bullet, it's me just missing and shooting air. Which has been good to see. I may end up with a 6.8 again but that 308 sounds interesting.

What 308 are you using? I could be down for that if they aren't weighing so much anymore

I've been hunting with a 6.8 since 2015 and just switched back over to 223 just because ammo is so cheap and thought the same thing. IF they are gonna run might as well use 223. I've actually done a little better on the runners because there isn't recoil. My new thermal has video so it lets me see that it's not the gun or bullet, it's me just missing and shooting air. Which has been good to see. I may end up with a 6.8 again but that 308 sounds interesting.

What 308 are you using? I could be down for that if they aren't weighing so much anymore
I have a couple of POF Revolutions….one 16” and one 12.5” SBR. Weigh less than 7lbs without scope, ammo, and suppressor.

77gr tmk is your huckleberry for killing if you are limited to 2.25" magazine
I heard vmax 50 55 60 53 etc works well also on white tails.

Hogs I think I’d use gold dots or something solid or bonded. No experience I’ve heard with hogs there

No shit? I left in 2004.
They've changed a lot of their hunting regulations. In 2004 you couldn't even have fiber optic sights on a muzzleloader, now they allow scopes. They just started allowing crossbows for anyone a few years ago, before it was handicapped only.

Reactions: 308pirate
They've changed a lot of their hunting regulations. In 2004 you couldn't even have fiber optic sights on a muzzleloader, now they allow scopes. They just started allowing crossbows for anyone a few years ago, before it was handicapped only.
Hunting regs mostly don't make any fucking sense. It figures they're written mostly by fudds.

.223/5.56 with the right bullet in very experienced hands is fine, but the key there is experience. Personally I use 175gr Terminal Ascent .308win from federal, not as an excuse for shit shooting, but simply because I know something is less likely to go wrong and I do not want whatever I hunt for food to suffer.

I’d grab the .308 simply because it's legal in more areas, the right ammo is more widely available and easily stocked.

Reactions: 308pirate
We still have older members on the hunt club that shoot deer with .22-250s. That's all our county would allow at the time, a .22 caliber centerfire. Shot placement is key with these and the .223.

When I first got into hunting, shot them with an Armalite in .223. After a few of those and laws changed, I went for some more power, settled on 6.8 for the last several years.

I used to help with depredation at the airport where I was a policeman. I’ve shot about a hundred deer with rem700 in 223 with fmj to the head. One shot, and they drop right there. (Eastern NC) the deer aren’t armor plated. Headshot works every time. Longest shot was only 100 yds due to the configuration of the shooting lanes.