• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.223 improved

kimber

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2010
New Zealand
If I got my 223 chamber in my AR improved would I run into any problems using steel cased ammo?
I use a lot of the steel cased hornady stuff, but Id also like to have a bit more when I play sometimes get another 50 or so yards on rabbits and things of the likes. I do reload a bit so I can easily make use of the potential this would offer

Re: .223 improved

Steel case will Fireform, only downside I see is a velocity loss as it fireforms

Thanks cruizer, I wont bother if thats the case seemed like a good idea. Out of interest how much would I expect to loose?

I lost about 100 fps with brass cased fire forming loads in a bolt gun, for what it's worth or not.

I'm very curious as to whether the steel would remain elastic enough to fireform to the chamber, or it would crack first. Some steel cased ammo (*cough* Tula *cough*) will get split necks/shoulders in certain 5.56 chambers.