• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 or 7.62x39 for "S & G"

RichS

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2001
PG County Maryland
Ok just looking at a for-shits-and-giggles bolt gun for a range toy. What’s it going to be .223 or 7.62x39? Being in MD I don't have access to any distances greater than 200 yards currently.

So I found a Remington 700 AAC-SD with the 16" barrel NIB for $799. Not sure how good of a deal it is and I wasn't even really considering Rem. Checking GB for sold items, I don't even see any of the .223 models. Also might have a lead on a Howa mini 7.62x39/Nikko package for $449. It's "used" but barely.

Current climate I might go with the 7.62x39 cause I'm having an easier time finding it online than .223. I think .223 is abit more flexible if you ever wanted to get into local matches.

My fun bolt gun right now is a .22lr and honestly I don't shoot much of anything else ATM.

My current favorite s&g bolt gun is a Howa mini in x39. It's absolutely stupid fun (especially with a can on it).

I'm going to call on the Howa tomorrow...if it's not available, I might just get the Remmy for the fact they're hard to find, and from everything I've seen it's a good price.

ETA. HAPPY EASTER!!!

223 gets my vote. So many more ammunition choices, and if you start reloading it will definitely be cheaper.

Reactions: cruze5
Well, since I can't seem to find a bolt gun in 7.62x39 that's not at retarded-level-Biden pricing, I found a very nice used Howa Mini in .223 that's on it's way.....

I'm still looking for a 7.62x39 though.....

I'd go 223 still for a fun gun. It does have more reloading options, and yes, while it is more expensive than 7.62x39, if import Russian ammo gets banned at some point, 223 will be less effected.

Well, since I can't seem to find a bolt gun in 7.62x39 that's not at retarded-level-Biden pricing, I found a very nice used Howa Mini in .223 that's on it's way.....

I'm still looking for a 7.62x39 though.....
They are fun guns. I have the heavy barreled model and enjoy it.

Rem 700 Sps Tactical in .223 is probably one of my favorites. Stupid accurate with 68 hpbt and 69 smks. Still fun to shoot with 55 fmj. Coyotes, whistle pigs, milk jugs, its all fun.

223 due to range of projectiles, accuracy potential, and long range potential.

Reactions: cruze5
They are fun guns. I have the heavy barreled model and enjoy it.

Yeah, I definitely am going to dump the Kryptek stock...I just find them fugly. Anyway, not sure if I should order an HTI multicam stock from Legacy, or look for one of the chassis. I'm thinking a 2-10 or even 1-8 type scope.

Yeah, I definitely am going to dump the Kryptek stock...I just find them fugly. Anyway, not sure if I should order an HTI multicam stock from Legacy, or look for one of the chassis. I'm thinking a 2-10 or even 1-8 type scope.
I put a 3-12X44 on mine. It needs shorter rings
20190312_201926.jpg

I HATE Savage as a company.

Shit quality and shit customer service.

Cabela's or Bass Pro usually has a special FV model that is sub $400 on sale.

I'd go that route for S&G.

If only shooting to 200 just shoot bulk .223 AR type ammo. Easy hits all day.

That said... if you plan on upgrading anything on it at all including the stock...

spend the $ and get a Tikka Varmint .223. You'll have an excellent quality .223 forever

.223 all day long. I just re-barreled my Nucleus in .223 using a PVA, and modded an HS mag to fit an old HS stock. Most fun I've had in a long time at the range. It shot 69 SMK and 55 FMJ pretty well. I think 7.62 x 39 shines if you were sitting on a bunch of surplus, or were already invested in reloading for that particular round, but I would expect .223 to be cheaper and more flexible, most of the time, as well as being pretty accurate. I also have a Ruger Ranch in .223, but honestly, I don't shoot it much and will probably just hang onto it for the kids to grow into, as the factory stock sucks so bad. If you get the Remington 700 .223, or a Tikka, you can drop it in a KRG Bravo and be pretty happy.

Well, I picked up the Howa today from my FFL. This was advertised as "used" on Cabelas website, but other than being in someone's safe, was never fired. Still had the factory tags on the trigger guard, bolt and boltface were pristine. I'm pretty stoked! Now, I need to figure out if I want to pick up an HTI multi-cam stock (I think the Kryptek is butt ugly), or put it in a BRN-1. I'm also planning on a bolt handle too.

As to scopes, I'm not sure what direction I want to go. Definitely something proportioned to the rifle.

Is it the standard or heavy profile barrel?

I see the stocks come up for sale once in a while, or you could put up a wanted ad.

LOL....well, as predicted...I also found a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 last week. Slick little rifle!!

Cheep trigger time, X39 for short range shooter and cheep Commi. ammo . 762x39 and 545x39 tula, belom, wolf . is starting to catchup with shipments into port and is coming down in price .
but it still little high . I picked up a case of 1-k case of 5.45 for 299-$ a few weeks back , and now see 5.45 and 7.62 anywhere from 269-$ to 330-$ a 1-k case .
-