• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 sniper or not?

Lol, everyone here has a lot of good points about sniper's and sniper rifles, but the real question is.... What makes a sniper rifle a sniper rifle????? Or is it just the sniper him/her self. I only ask because I have a small amount of knowledge on what sniping is.
Any rifle a ā€œsniperā€ uses is a sniper rifle... hand me Chris kyleā€™s rifle and itā€™s just a McMillan bolt gun in my hands

Reactions: Chad429
Hi,

Well sorry if that bothers you but in case you haven't noticed it is getting ready to be open season on firearms rights in the USA shortly.

So the last thing we need is some guy running around "Muh Sniper Rifle, Muh Sniper Rifle" with 8 ounce trigger and "tactical" bolt knob when at best he has a precision rifle...period!!

We bitch when the Dems over dramatize a situation with sensational catch phrases and "tactical clichƩs" but not call it out when someone in the firearms industry does it....

You did notice the thread title right??? "Sniper or Not".......

Sincerely,
Theis
The name of the site is snipershide and a bunch of people discuss their dislike for the the election in no uncertain terms. If this thread and a the word sniper being seemingly flagrantly misused is the tipping point of gun legislation then we are truly all fucked.

I suppose you do you but seems odd to put on your internet police hat because some dude used the phrase sniper rifle.

I mean he didnā€™t refer to a magazine as a clip. That egregious mistake is punishable by a summery execution on the internet.

223 for sniping? Pace off oh 350 yards, have your buddy shoot you with it, and get back to us with the results. Never mind the thousands of SDM/DMR/RECCE/MK12 SEAL rifles in active use in this chambering.

The 9 twist barrel will be your limiting factor; Hornady specs their 2279 bullet to work with a 9 twist, but Sierra says 8 twist or faster for the 77 SMK used in the MK262 ammo. The 700 has the added benefit of taking longer than SAAMI spec OAL rounds and feeding them from the magazine, but again the twist rate will be the limiting factor.

The name of the site is snipershide and a bunch of people discuss their dislike for the the election in no uncertain terms. If this thread and a the word sniper being seemingly flagrantly misused is the tipping point of gun legislation then we are truly all fucked.

I suppose you do you but seems odd to put on your internet police hat because some dude used the phrase sniper rifle.

I mean he didnā€™t refer to a magazine as a clip. That egregious mistake is punishable by a summery execution on the internet.
Some would argue that we are almost to that point. One thing is for sure though. This site is being monitored by the alphabet agencies and anything even hinting towards threatening action is flagged immediately. A bunch of civilians on a site talking about doing sniper stuff/shooting sniper rifles is a bad image. This isnā€™t tinfoil hat stuff either, weā€™ve been warned by Frank himself.

ā€œSniperā€ is a title earned, an occupation held, a profession. The rest of us are just hobbyists in marksmanship, myself included. Around here, he might as well called his magazine a ā€œclipā€, similar transgression.

OP

The ā€œsniper rifleā€ is obviously what did this thread in from the get go. As stated above a ā€œsniperā€ rifle is a rifle used by a trained/certified sniper. Issued by the branch/LE agency they work for. They can range from savage 10 to AXMC/MRADS and are used to perform the job

Its obvious at this point that changing ā€œsniperā€ to ā€œprecisionā€ would help this thread

As far as the rifle is concerned if it shoots good then shoot the crap out of it and learn as you go

If weā€™re picking this apart then,

What scope is that? As a scope needs to be reliable and have repeatable adjustment. Also be sure the scope cap isnā€™t contacting the barrel

Watch tightening those weaver rings down. I had a set on a cheapy rifle with a Burris scope. They were machined so far off they started crushing one side of the scope tube at less than 15 in lbs of torque

Iā€™m not sure the barrel can be threaded. If it cost an arm and leg to do so because of the triangle shape then maybe just getting an aftermarket barrel thatā€™s threaded is the better option

The bipod pending itā€™s an actual Harris and not a cheap knockoff will serve you well. Thereā€™s better out there but this will get you by

Choate tactical stock. I had one. Decent for what it is. No bedding needed. Heavy as hell but functional

8oz trigger is decent for a precision rifle. Itā€™s what I run on my fclass rig. Generally my triggers are 1.5 lbs give or take. If Iā€™m shooting on a bench or prone I donā€™t mine a lighter trigger. But for any field use I prefer heavier but thatā€™s just my preference.

For a starter setup and a decent training rifle what you have will be functional

Some would argue that we are almost to that point. One thing is for sure though. This site is being monitored by the alphabet agencies and anything even hinting towards threatening action is flagged immediately. A bunch of civilians on a site talking about doing sniper stuff/shooting sniper rifles is a bad image. This isnā€™t tinfoil hat stuff either, weā€™ve been warned by Frank himself.

ā€œSniperā€ is a title earned, an occupation held, a profession. The rest of us are just hobbyists in marksmanship, myself included. Around here, he might as well called his magazine a ā€œclipā€, similar transgression.
Why doesnā€™t a mod come along the resolve the misuse of terms? Instead thesis is quizzing him over numerous posts about the weight of his trigger and bolt knob. I didnā€™t really sense the urgency to correct this OP. The method of ā€œcorrectionā€ seemed a little lame.

I am a sniper, for over a decade, deployed as a sniper team leader, now I instruct at one of the most revered sniper schools in the military. That being said, I took literally no offense.

If the dude was fucked up by the rules of SH. Then just say it, hey buddy you ainā€™t got a sniper rifle you got a 223 bolt gun and thatā€™s all.

So heres the thought that i have. You cant buy a sniper rifle unless you are an actual sniper. Agreed. But.... can a civilian own a counter sniper rifle? The russian 9mm integrally suppressed rifle comes to mind. I remember when i bought my .222 my grandfather kept saying that certain agencies liked to use them as counter sniper rifles. Or is it only a counter sniper rifle of you are a snipe hunter? This thread had me cracking up by the way.

So heres the thought that i have. You cant buy a sniper rifle unless you are an actual sniper. Agreed. But.... can a civilian own a counter sniper rifle? The russian 9mm integrally suppressed rifle comes to mind. I remember when i bought my .222 my grandfather kept saying that certain agencies liked to use them as counter sniper rifles. Or is it only a counter sniper rifle of you are a snipe hunter? This thread had me cracking up by the way.
Any rifle can be a counter sniper rifle

You just need one of those Counter Sniper scopes. You know the contract overrun $7,000 marked down to $400. Used by only the most elite units around the world and made from unobtainium internal parts and soaked in unicorn piss

The optics of the Gods šŸ˜»

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
OP, if you donā€™t mind me asking, how old are you and how much experience do you have with rifles in general and long range shooting? I get the feeling that youā€™re relatively young and new to this, which isnā€™t a bad thing.

I think sometimes new shooters get really excited by the idea of the sport and catch the shooting bug so to speak, jumping in feet first and falling into the marketing of buzz words like ā€œsniper rifleā€. They spend a little time learning what they can as a novice to the sport thinking that theyā€™ve learned a lot, not recognizing that itā€™s a lifetime of learning, and itā€™s only just begun. They then come across this site and think that itā€™s a good idea to just jump right into the forums and post before really investigating the content it offers and come across kind of silly. Which being new is somewhat expected, but not a responsible way to use this site IMO.

No one wants to run off any new comers into the sport, but please recognize that you should have probably researched a lot more and structured your post in a different manner if at all. Others suggested that you spend time researching the site more. I concur and would suggest that you do that. Otherwise youā€™re opening yourself up to a feeding frenzy.

Why doesnā€™t a mod come along the resolve the misuse of terms? Instead thesis is quizzing him over numerous posts about the weight of his trigger and bolt knob. I didnā€™t really sense the urgency to correct this OP. The method of ā€œcorrectionā€ seemed a little lame.

I am a sniper, for over a decade, deployed as a sniper team leader, now I instruct at one of the most revered sniper schools in the military. That being said, I took literally no offense.

If the dude was fucked up by the rules of SH. Then just say it, hey buddy you ainā€™t got a sniper rifle you got a 223 bolt gun and thatā€™s all.
If the ragging gets too bad, they will. I can only assume he, and others, thought this entire post might be a troll post from a previously banned pot stirrer. Some of those guys must be really bored, or have no lives, they just keep coming back to stir shit up. There has also been some of the anti gun crowd coming on and trolling.

My second paragraph of the quoted post wasnā€™t directed at you specifically, and I meant no offense, I shouldā€™ve specified something. I find thought parallels from your statement and others Iā€™ve talked to in the profession. It seems, the ones making a big deal about it are the folks not in the business. Hope Iā€™m not being perceived as one of them.

Reactions: Stoweit
Any rifle can be a counter sniper rifle

You just need one of those Counter Sniper scopes. You know the contract overrun $7,000 marked down to $400. Used by only the most elite units around the world and made from unobtainium internal parts and soaked in unicorn piss

The optics of the Gods šŸ˜»
Damn, the one i got off ebay for 110 bucks is made of chinesium and soaked in ups delivery guy piss.....

Hi,

My Berkut Rifles....

1616884100665.png

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

I will see you next month :)
You competing or RO'ing/Coordinating?

Sincerely,
Theis

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
Hi,

My Berkut Rifles....

View attachment 7591814

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

I will see you next month :)
You competing or RO'ing/Coordinating?

Sincerely,
Theis
Where will you see me? Iā€™m all about continuing conversations online to the real world.

Ah no if itā€™s where I think you mean Iā€™ll be there.

Thatā€™s not the school I teach at.

Last edited:

See the Coleman's Creek jersey. This Mr Yerk or Mr Posey?

I knew this would be an entertaining thread!

Civilians with ā€œsniper riflesā€ end up on every media outlet and typically with manhunts. Just call it what it is, a precision-ish rifle.

Read more, play less call of duty.

Reactions: Gunnie88
Hi,

Gotcha, not going to be at sniper comp at Benning?

Sincerely,
Theis
Admittedly Iā€™m playing my cards close, Iā€™ll be competitor this year. Weā€™re a last minute team. Looking forward to a good match. We just wrapped up our USASOC Comp up here.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I read threads like this and it makes me so glad that I lurked around on here for well over a decade before I ever posted anything.

Had I not done that, I may have said something really stupid. Like talk about my Sniper Rifle..... on a site called Snipershide.....go figure......

To the OP, there is a lot of good stuff on here and Iā€™ve learned a bunch. Stick around and learn. Just remember, if youā€™re shooting varmints, itā€™s a varmint rifle (unless itā€™s coyotes, then itā€™s your coyote rig), if your in any kind of competition, then itā€™s whatever kind of comp your in (your PRS or F Class rig), and if you just take it to the range, itā€™s a target rifle. It can be the same damn gun for all of them, just whatever you happen to be doing with it on that given day.

Itā€™s only a ā€œSniper Rifleā€ if youā€™re in the military, law enforcement, or barricaded in a clock tower.

Chad,
Letā€™s worry less about your equipment for now. It might impress friends but letā€™s gear back and talk about ā€œtrigger timeā€. Any rifle can fill the description of a snipers rifle in the right hands. Build a bolt action .22 and attend a few ā€œAppleseedā€ tournaments. Work on your shooting fundamentals. In the evenings, practice dry firing your .223 on a picture mounted on the wall. spend at least 3 days a week at the range with your .22 dialing from 50-300 yards. Learn to use the reticle subtensions for ā€œhold over/unders at various distances. Good glass and understanding the reticle at any distance is key. I love Riton optics and own a few so pop it off from time to time, jump in your car and start ā€œrangingā€ objects at different distances. Do it so much it becomes a second nature.

when youā€™ve mastered the fundamentals, first off is ditch that cheap bi-pod and step up to a more suitable version that will take a beating. Double check all the torque specs on your .223 from action, rail & scope rings.

What makes people ā€œuneasyā€ is the term ā€œdoes this look like a snipers rifleā€. We simply donā€™t know what your plans are with the rifle. Unsettling yes, but true.

USMC 2/7-88-94.

• Love
Reactions: Ridgeback80
I no sooner get a cocktail and put the popcorn on, and this thread is slowed way down. I was hoping for more! Thought it would get all snipery.

Not much really. I replaced stock for a free floating barrel, installed a detachable mag well, upgraded the trigger to a steady 8oz pull, replaced bolt knob and slammed on a good optic 6-24x50. Quarantine had me really bored lol. Looking into getting barrel threaded.
When you thread that barrel, you will be SAF!

If the rifle is used for Snipe hunting it may surely be considered a Snipe rifle. Might be the closet your gonna get OP to having what you call a ā€œsniperā€ rifle. Iā€™ve hunted snipes a few times in my youth. Always in the dark, on request of adults at a bonfire. To this day Iā€™ve never seen a snipe yet. Iā€™ve been told they exsist... go on a few snipe hunts and call your rifle a snipe rifle.

If the rifle is used for Snipe hunting it may surely be considered a Snipe rifle. Might be the closet your gonna get OP to having what you call a ā€œsniperā€ rifle. Iā€™ve hunted snipes a few times in my youth. Always in the dark, on request of adults at a bonfire. To this day Iā€™ve never seen a snipe yet. Iā€™ve been told they exsist... go on a few snipe hunts and call your rifle a snipe rifle.
Screenshot_20210328-144137_Google.jpg

Just gonna leave this here. Maybe you need to work on your hunting skills. Lol

Of course he uses the name Chad to troll

So I guess my model 7 in 223 is definitely not a sniper rifle

Its a good thing accuracy international didnā€™t run their slogan by this crowd.

Accuracy International: The worlds finest steel plinking, prs, and heavy coyote rifles.

I've seen one threaded but not sure we're it was done.
England has some one who has done these, but i dont think it will help you.
Though it show that it only need 3 jaw lathe, so should not be too hard for a gunsmith.

The big question is, how the sniper rifle should look, i think the big bear from Russia might show one good choise, how it might look.
putin.JPG

Last edited:
England has some one who has done these, but i dont think it will help you.
Though it show that it only need 3 jaw lathe, so should not be too hard for a gunsmith.

The big question is, how the sniper rifle should look, i think the big bear from Russia might show one good choise, how it might look.
View attachment 7592992

Something tells me itā€™s not his first rodeo with a weapon like that

Oh no, he called it a sniper rifle. They finna drag you bro (looks like they already did).

I didnā€™t want to read every comment, but If you were wondering itā€™s is a viable long range gun ask your self these questions.

What are you shooting at? Animals?people? Steel targets?
Whatā€™s your intended range? 200,500,1000, 1mile?

If your shooting steel targets Iā€™d say itā€™s fine out to 800, maybe 1000 if you handload (yes you can go further but Iā€™m talking about realistically)

A larger caliber will suite your needs better if you want to go out beyond that. .308, 6.5cm would be some calibers you could look at.

Maybe it's already been addressed:

The sniper, of course, is the trained individual who can use any number of high-precision (or not) rifles to facilitate their objectives. Also mentioned before, shooting is just one dimension of the trade you are expected to be proficient in. Fieldcraft, tactics and techniques are the majority of what defines a successful sniper.

Snipers are issued a number of sniper weapon systems (sws or some variant of this name including "sniper rifle"), complete standardized rifle packages usually complete with extra components, a scope, suppressor, bipods and other gear.

A sniper rifle, SWS true to the name, is limited to what is issued to snipers; however, snipers are not limited to those weapons. I believe this has near equivalent use to the term assault rifle. Though I know its not an official name for ARs and AKs, I recognize them as assault rifles, not that they are. Just like a precision rifle being called a sniper rifle. This could be the case and all you need is any precision rifle with a magnified optic. If Chad legitimately means "a sniper's rifle" then we look at the nuance.

Lastly, most SWS's are designed/selected with certain tolerances, finish, capabilities etc. If you'd like to model a sniper's weapon system, asking how to make something into a sniper rifle does make at least some sense. I saw some mindful tips about scope mounting, subdued colors etc. and of course 1MOA capable is respectable depending on caliber. Also, .223 is fine if you like shooting it. Not optimal but I'm sure there's some LE application. Or, more likely its to hit targets and rabbits, which is fine. If you want the full breadth of capabilities bumping up the caliber.

Last edited:
PM this guy. He can help answer your question.

Just messing around but that's an example of be careful of what you post and do as much research as you can to ask educated questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunnie88
Yeah, that OP is right on the edge! No doubt on the radar of many government agencies.
PM this guy. He can help answer your question.

Just messing around but that's an example of be careful of what you post and do as much research as you can to as educated questions.

I'm not a"sniper", but I did stay at a holiday inn express.
I do shoot sometimes with the local SO sniper team when they have training. In a practical application you want to drop a bad guy with one shot at a distance of less than 200 yds. Military has other requirements. That being said.308 is what I see employed by local law enforcement.