• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 Trainer Build

07E8AC86-A166-458B-899C-F826A1D9AB2B.jpeg
5455A10A-EE49-49BB-988A-E7D595C4F088.jpeg
A2F2961A-2E8B-4B36-AC34-551856E14AE4.jpeg

Tikkas come up for sale from time to time here on the hide. I just bought this 223 ctr on here not long ago and was doing some load development with 73eldm since i have alot of them here at home.

I bought a Tikka Varmint 223 - 23.7 inch barrel, 1-8 twist - and had local gunsmith thread. Dropped into KRG Bravo with MDT polymer mags. Just another option.
Problem there is ya can’t find a damn tikka these days! Used to be all over.

What do you guys think of this? Normal wear and tear or is the bolt nose rubbing too much on the breech face?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221029-170511_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221029-170511_Gallery.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20221029-170444_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221029-170444_Gallery.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20221029-170433_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221029-170433_Gallery.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 66
So ive kinda been in the same boat I parted with my 6.5 barrel and thats left me with an orgin action

Been looking at several profits proof and criterion but there is only 1 place that currently I can get a .223 proof prefit other wise would have to do a tlr prefit with a different lug

Or thought about trying a ruckus just to switch things up but seem locating an in stock one isn't gona happen

Also was in the 20in boat but the cheap and easy route is a 26in unfortunately 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: browning442
Decided to shitcan the build… had an origin lined up with comp contour proof but need to pay off things first. Eventually I probably will do either a Tikka, or an origin with prefit

So for now the budget is extremely small

Brownells has the Howa Mini 223 Threaded Sporter barreled action for $399

Reactions: browning442
So ive kinda been in the same boat I parted with my 6.5 barrel and thats left me with an orgin action

Been looking at several profits proof and criterion but there is only 1 place that currently I can get a .223 proof prefit other wise would have to do a tlr prefit with a different lug

Or thought about trying a ruckus just to switch things up but seem locating an in stock one isn't gona happen

Also was in the 20in boat but the cheap and easy route is a 26in unfortunately 🤷‍♂️
that's one of the nice things about the origin...it can take TL3 barrels

i have quite a few Origin/TL3 barrels that i swap back and forth. both of my Dasher comp barrels are TL3. no issues running the smaller lug

I have had good luck just buying a bolt head and a Criterion barrel in 223 wylde for my tl3s. 4 of us shoot in my household. It's going to take a significant amount of business building before I decide it is worth it to build 4 new identical 223s for trainers. Swapping barrels works like a dream.

I have had good luck just buying a bolt head and a Criterion barrel in 223 wylde for my tl3s. 4 of us shoot in my household. It's going to take a significant amount of business building before I decide it is worth it to build 4 new identical 223s for trainers. Swapping barrels works like a dream.
Is their a reason you went with the wylde vs stanard .223??

That I knew ive just been reading into the debate on it ive always run wylde on ar barrels if I could

I picked up a R700 ADL tactical from Buds a while ago for $260 on clearance. Shot it for a while in a Bell & Carlson stock w/AICS mags. I screwed on a remage 1:8 twist varmint barrel, that thing shoots great with 69g-80g bullets.

Mike
Here it is pre remage barrel (rem 1:9) I got the stock and bottom metal second hand, I have about $750 into the rifle alone, $900 with the TT trigger.

1667352849048.jpeg

Is their a reason you went with the wylde vs stanard .223??
It is about the right freebore for 75 grain bullets. I typically shoot hornady 75 bthp on 8208 xbr in starline brass. Cheap and shoots in the .3s in multiple barrels. Plenty good enough to train with.

tempImageBr8gQy.jpg

OP I was in your very similar boat as I had a barrel I was swapping back and forth on my Comp Origin action. I finally got tired of swapping things so I bought a second action and turns the 223 into a full build for coyotes and practice. Figured I'd help along with pushing you over the spending edge!!!

View attachment 7989334

OP I was in your very similar boat as I had a barrel I was swapping back and forth on my Comp Origin action. I finally got tired of swapping things so I bought a second action and turns the 223 into a full build for coyotes and practice. Figured I'd help along with pushing you over the spending edge!!!
Thanks - as I was very close anyway! Probably gonna go the origin & proof SS prefit route. Got a used whiskey 3 chassis sitting empty anyway….

Thanks - as I was very close anyway! Probably gonna go the origin & proof SS prefit route. Got a used whiskey 3 chassis sitting empty anyway….

Hey ya find a source that has a few of the proofs on stock wana pm me seems slim pickings

@bohem Josh at PVA can spin up a .223 Osprey prefit for an Origin also.

Plus side to the pva is getting the size I wanted to begin with (and not the first pva barrel thats been on that action) but im just gona hold off to see what black friday brings

Not gona still out extra to be in a rush when knowing myself won't likely shoot to spring anyways 🤣

Ok I lied was a straight jacket barrel on it for some reason I have no idea why I get straight jacket and pva mixed up all the time

I run a factory REM 700PSS with the barrel cut down to 22” in a McMillan A4 stock. Using 80g SMKs, it is a hammer. Won a few f class matches with it. Yes, it is a 9” twist.
Rem 700 PSS 223 Right 2.jpg

@bohem Josh at PVA can spin up a .223 Osprey prefit for an Origin also.

This is what my barrel is. Josh & PVA have done all my Origin barrels.