• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 version of the RPR

I've put a couple thousand more rounds through mine.

-Firing pin protrusion is about 0.055", +- 0.005
-Pops over 5% of primers, maybe more. Sure enough, summer made it worse.
-FTF/FTE malfs 2-3% of the time. IME, that's very good for a push feed bolt gun.

I am disappointed that Ruger discontinued it. I hoped for cheap OEM barrels. I'll reach out to Gre'Tan for a bushing job when my CZ527 comes back with a new barrel.

I put a Gen 1 Razor on my RPR and I'm very happy with the setup. I keep going beyond my barrel cleaning interval because it is easy to shoot a lot.

Due to my comfort with it, I pulled off a personal best, something I'd wanted to do for a while. I pulled off a cold bore 624 yard shot on a 1 MOA target, at a 15ish degree incline. Not impressive to a lot of people, but exactly what I want to be able to do. Missing and making a correction for a second round hit isn't 1/100th as satisfying to me.

Just a heads up if guys are still looking for rpr in 223. Cabela’s has them on sale right now online for 799. If I didn’t have a 6mm creedmoor coming I would pick one up.

I just got mine not too long ago; I have not had any issues with the firing pin, and have a load that was going 2950 with 75bthp during load development.

I have a Wells Tango suppressor on my RPR in 5.56. Tried some 55gr and 75gr subsonic loads thru it this weekend. The 55gr (3.8-4.0gr of TB) was "Hollywood" quiet but accuracy was poor at 100yds. Probably 2-3moa but most of it was horizontal in a slight (7-10mph) full value wind. It held about 1-1.5moa vertical, though.
The 75s went over 5.5 & 5.7gr of TB and held a solid 1-1.5moa. First round of 5.7gr was barely supersonic, but the rest were nice and quiet. Just the "click" of the firing pin and "thwat" of the impact. Boy are the rabbits and squirrels in for some trouble!!

Have there been any resolution from Ruger about the primer cratering issues? I’m pretty interested in getting one with how cheap they are now, but I don’t want to be dealing with problems from day 1. As a beginner, how concerned should I be? Worth it? or steer clear and pick up a Howa or Tikka for a bit more?

Reactions: beenawhile1
I have a 5.56 RPR and have not had any primer issues. Great little rifle imo.

I have a 5.56 RPR and have not had any primer issues. Great little rifle imo.
I’ve had no issues as well. I’ve pushed a 75eld up to 2950 without popping a primer. If reloading just use 450s or harder primers.
Thanks for the feedback! Was concerned it was an accross-the-board issue. Definitely leaning towards picking one up, now.

I've had one for about six months. Havn't shot it a ton but I've had no issues and have ran some pretty hot reloads thru it in summer months. I was aware of the issue when i purchased but bought it right, so figured I would take the chance. Best as I can tell not every gun has the issues and bolt bushing job takes care of it, if/when it does become a problem.

Reactions: richthe1
I’ve got about 100 tounds thru mine of several different brands including Black Hills, GA Arms, Hornady and I haven’t had a single issue with primers.

Going to do the paperwork for mine on Monday.
Looks like Ruger probably noticed the fire pin issue and fixed it in their later production?

Just picked mine up from the FFL. Smoking good prices on these right now kinda made it seem like a no brainer. I think its going to be a fun, inexpensive way to get alot more reps in.

What is your go-to factory ammo? When I shot more 223 I used to use Hornady Steel Match 75gr BTHP and it shot extremely well for the price. However, it’s more difficult to find in stock than it used to be and some seller’s websites say it’s discontinued.

Reactions: CavReconScout
spent a little time at the range this morning after bolting on a few christmas goodies onto my RPR 223. I installed the AO handle, grenade knob, and shroud. I had previously installed the magpul PRS gen 3 and Timney 2 stage trigger. Pretty much turning my "budget" rifle from a $750 gun into a $1500 gun. Oh well, its fun and cheap to shoot. As it turns out its pretty darn accurae for what it is as well. I shot six 5 shot groups using 77gr SMK and 52gr HP Match bullets and averaged under 1 MOA across the board. This included me throwing 2 fliers that opened 2 groups to ~1.5". My best group was with the Black Hills 52gr Remanufactured at .729". All rounds were fired suppressed. I can count the times I have been to the range this year on 1 hand so I need to work on my form and I am sure the results will improve. I also need new glass for it. Its currently wearing a Leupold VXIII. Decent scope for a hunting rifle but its the last of its kind in my herd so it needs to be replaced, probably with a gen 2 PST.

Just picked mine up from the FFL. Smoking good prices on these right now kinda made it seem like a no brainer. I think its going to be a fun, inexpensive way to get alot more reps in.

Be careful about that. I figured the same thing when I bought mine thinking it was turn key and needed nothing. It has managed to suck quite a few more dead presidents from my wallet along the way, primarily because its so easy to shoot well and the aftermarket support is like awesome. Kinda like a crack dealer! New stock, bolt handle and knob, shroud, rail, trigger, yup, yup, yup. Gotta have them all!

ANyone else have issues seating factory mags in their 223 RPR? I only have about 100 rounds thru mine so it and the mags are still new but I have having to slap the bases to get the mag to catch. I certainly cannot do it without picking my rifle up from horizontal to vertical. Suggestions?

ANyone else have issues seating factory mags in their 223 RPR? I only have about 100 rounds thru mine so it and the mags are still new but I have having to slap the bases to get the mag to catch. I certainly cannot do it without picking my rifle up from horizontal to vertical. Suggestions?

Open the bolt fully before seating the mag?

Just got mine today and it is hard to seat the mag. I had to give it a good slap in order to do it. And I don't even have the bolt in it.

Last edited:
Any body know a fix for the mag tight issue? May be file some material from somewhere?

Trying to recall who else makes mags that’ll work with this rifle besides factory. I know magpul doesn’t. I know someone does that are supposed to be high quality and that allow the long COAL. I know I looked at them online and they were like $65 each but now for the life of me I cannot remember who or where I saw them..... sucks getting old.

Question for the reloaders. I got my RPR 223 just a couple of months ago. My rifle base to ogive is 1.840". With 77 GR Nosler CC, in order to achieve a .015-.020" jump, I would have to seat the bullet deep. By deep, I mean the bullet bearing surface is seated past the case neck by a good .040" or so.

Did I receive a barrel with an extremely short throat? Doesn't make sense to get a 1:7 twist barrel if I'm only limited to 62 or lower grain bullets...

Any advice?

Trying to recall who else makes mags that’ll work with this rifle besides factory. I know magpul doesn’t. I know someone does that are supposed to be high quality and that allow the long COAL. I know I looked at them online and they were like $65 each but now for the life of me I cannot remember who or where I saw them..... sucks getting old.
I have 2 factory mags and 2 MDT polymer 223 mags and they all work great.

Check my photo from link above and see whether you have same problem?

Last edited:
I have read through all 5 pages of the thread and found @NukeMMC had the same mag issue and fixed it by Dremelling the lip of the mag. Will probably try the same thing.

Last edited:
I have read through all 5 pages of the thread and found @NukeMMC had the same mag issue and fixed it by Dremelling the lip of the mag. Will probably try the same thing.

I tried this last night and hit the range today. Worked like a charm. Much easier to seat a mag. Will do the same treatment on my other mags now that I know it works.
Also shot this .6” five shot group today after getting my new gen 2 PST installed and zeroed. Pretty happy with this.

Attachments

• A0F57FBC-BE90-43DF-8F27-091E49DE7085.jpeg
    A0F57FBC-BE90-43DF-8F27-091E49DE7085.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
That is good news!
Nice shooting!

I tried this last night and hit the range today. Worked like a charm. Much easier to seat a mag. Will do the same treatment on my other mags now that I know it works.
Also shit this .6” five shot group today after getting my new gen 2 PST installed and zeroed. Pretty happy with this.

If I wanted to upgrade my barrel, who should I look at that makes one at a reasonable cost, ready to screw on, cut to my length spec and threaded without waiting 6 months?

I’ve heard good things from others about keystone accuracy,I’m going to try a couple barrels from him soon

Finally got time to Dremel a tiny bit of the mag and both of my mags seat with a light tap now.

Also bought an Accurate mag and it works as is.

For those who interested, the Ruger mag actually has more room for longer bullets WITHOUT modification.

And my question is, how to modify Accurate mag to take longer bullets? I read somewhere that you can do something to make more room.

Top: Accurate mag
Bottom: ruger

IMG_20190212_000636.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got time to Dremel a tiny bit of the mag and both of my mags seat with a light tap now.

For those who interested, the Ruger mag actually has more room for longer bullets with modification.

And my question is, how to modify Accurate mag to take longer bullets? I read somewhere that you can do something to make more room.

View attachment 7023785
You can take a rat tail file or a dremel and remove this material.
1550011625721.png

If you take the accurate mag apart (slide the bottom plate off, its really tight, takes a good whack with a hammer, dont bend it though) you will see that the inner liner is two halves and the top portion has has a lip that isnt there the for the rest of the mags height, file it away and you get the full length.

For those who interested, the Ruger mag actually has more room for longer bullets with modification.

View attachment 7023785
Thanks for the post. Great info. Frustrating that both companies make mags with opposite advantages and disadvantages! You would think someone could make one that has the best of both worlds! Am I asking too much? Probably.... For $70 you shouldn’t have to modify a mag, imho.

Probably.... For $70 you shouldn’t have to modify a mag, imho.
Yeah but it does allow it work work for every action without getting caught under the feed ramp yet still allows you to open it as desired.
How pissed would you be if you bought a mag that didn’t fit because some guy wanted to push the boundaries instead?

Thanks. This is what I am looking for.

You can take a rat tail file or a dremel and remove this material.
View attachment 7023821
If you take the accurate mag apart (slide the bottom plate off, its really tight, takes a good whack with a hammer, dont bend it though) you will see that the inner liner is two halves and the top portion has has a lip that isnt there the for the rest of the mags height, file it away and you get the full length.

Anyone install and shoot a custom barrel on their RPR 556 yet? I found a couple online but was hoping to hear reviews before dropping $500+ on a new barrel and some headspace gauges.

Had a great outing with my .223 RPR yesterday. Several sub MOA groups with this being the best. Not bad considering I haven’t been to the range in almost 6 months.

Attachments

• 3760CFE8-58F3-4CF0-A9C1-EE02AD07E65B.jpeg
    3760CFE8-58F3-4CF0-A9C1-EE02AD07E65B.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 43
I sent my RPR back to ruger as it was piercing primers with Norma 77 grain match ammo and they replaced the barrel, firing pin assembly among other things and sent it back. Their customer service was awesome but it didn't fix the problem. I just sent the bolt off for bushing and that did the trick. I'm glad I sent it off though, the new barrel is more accurate than the last. I shot a 0.471 moa group with the norma ammo.

Reactions: long range sponge
I don't have any problem with the firing pin on my RPR 223. Never had any pierced primer.

My problem though, seems that there is no enough freebore for 80 grain ELDM?

I don't have any 77 grain smk but I tried 77 grain Nosler Custom Competition HPBT and they seated just fine. But when I try to measure the seating depth of 80 grain ELDM, the bullet will be seated all the way below the shoulder even if I jam the projectile into the lands.

I guess it is normal since Ruger made a standard chamber for these? Is my best option sending it to a gunsmith to who has a 223 Wylde reamer to make it a Wylde chamber?

I don't have any problem with the firing pin on my RPR 223. Never had any pierced primer.

My problem though, seems that there is no enough freebore for 80 grain ELDM?

I don't have any 77 grain smk but I tried 77 grain Nosler Custom Competition HPBT and they seated just fine. But when I try to measure the seating depth of 80 grain ELDM, the bullet will be seated all the way below the shoulder even if I jam the projectile into the lands.

I guess it is normal since Ruger made a standard chamber for these? Is my best option sending it to a gunsmith to who has a 223 Wylde reamer to make it a Wylde chamber?

You'd probably be better off just getting an aftermarket barrel, honestly.

Reactions: ironsight1000yard
Aftermarket barrels for the RPR in 223 are not as easy to get as say 6.5 creed. I’ve not found any off the shelf, they all seem to be custom.

Aftermarket barrels for the RPR in 223 are not as easy to get as say 6.5 creed. I’ve not found any off the shelf, they all seem to be custom.
I wonder if woa would be willing to do a barrel for the rpr 223.

Can a gunsmith rechamber it to let's say 223 Wylde assuming he has a reamer?

Last edited:
A smith could redo the chamber. It will probably cost you about $250. A aftermarket barrel might cost you $600 or so but it will be a lot nicer barrel. Woa is doing rpr Creedmoor barrels for $370. That is why I wonder if they would do the 223 for the same price. If so it would be a no brainer vs spending $250 on the oem barrel.