• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

22lr AR practice- CMMG conversion

Surffshr

Beach Bum
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
SoTX
Looking through the new Midway flyer and I see a CMMG conversion for AR-15's. I have seen complete uppers, but not this conversion before. It is a replacement BCG with a mag supplied. I'd like to know folks' experience with these, and if shooting 22lr through your upper affected accuracy with .223 ammo. I'm thinking that leading could be an issue. Thank you.

Re: 22lr AR practice- CMMG conversion

it is just another Ciener, no difference that i can see, no last shot bolt hold open on the mag.

in my OPINION, don't waste your $$$$$$, save up till you have the buck$$$$ for a dedicated .22LR upper.., my first choice for a dedicated upper is the TacSol

M4%20L2.jpg

for a complete rifle i recommend the S&W M&P 15 .22LR
811030_large.jpg

you just can not beat quality, and these two images are the epitome of quality......, in my <span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">OPINION !!</span></span></span>

My brother has a ceiner conversion for his ar, I have a dedicated upper (spikes) for mine. The advantages for the ceiner are cost, storage space, the ability to use the optics already on your AR. The advantages for the dedicated are barrel twist, no poi shift to be accounted for. The disadvantages of the ceiner is that you have to account for the shift in zero for 22, and you have to clean your gun more often as you get more lead in the barrel and carbon in the chamber. The disadvantage for the dedicated upper are cost (you not only need the upper but also optics). The black dog magazines with the bolt hold open work with either kit.

That S&W is good stuff and the price is right. It certainly fills the gap in cost.

I have a ceiner version and have never had any problems with it. I use the heavy 60gr Aquila bullets and it works fine. I clean the barrel after I use it and have yet to have any leading issues. I do wish it would lock back after the last shot, but I can live without that feature.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GreatGonzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My brother has a ceiner conversion for his ar, I have a dedicated upper (spikes) <span style="color: #000099">(also a good choice) </span>for mine. The advantages for the ceiner are cost, storage space, the ability to use the optics already on your AR. The advantages for the dedicated are barrel twist, no poi shift to be accounted for. The disadvantages of the ceiner is that you have to account for the shift in zero for 22, and you have to clean your gun more often as you get more lead in the barrel and carbon in the chamber. <span style="color: #000099">(not if your upper is a piston gun)</span> The disadvantage for the dedicated upper are cost (you not only need the upper but also optics). <span style="color: #000099">(not really, irons are best for general plinking and other close range shooting.)</span> The black dog magazines with the bolt hold open work with either kit.

That S&W is good stuff and the price is right. It certainly fills the gap in cost. </div></div> <span style="color: #000099">true.., very true, my problem with any conversion is the fact that any .22LR is undersized for the .223/5.56mm bore, the bullet skips across the first several inches of rifling then finally starts to spin, in a 1-9 twist the bullet barely has time to spin, then at about 50 yards you will encounter keyholing and/or groups in the 3 foot range.., at least that has been my experience. my Ciener kits are reserved only for my Colt SP-1s that have a 1-12 twist, i have consistently hit 12" steel gongs at 100 yds. with that set up</span>

I'd like to know folks' experience with these, and if shooting 22lr through your upper affected accuracy with .223 ammo. I'm thinking that leading could be an issue. Thank you./quote]
I use the ceiner on a regular basis, I do see the leading but nothing that has ever caused a problem. If I shoot a lot of 22lr through it and switch back to my 223 ammo of choice, the first couple rounds may not impact at the normal zero(but still close) but then its pretty much cleared out and back to normal zero.

I just sold a CMMG 22 conversion bolt. It ran just fine in my upper. As long as you clean the bolt properly it functions .. let it get a little dirty and the firing pin may hang up and cause a double or worse.
I cleaned the barrel real good before shooting more 223 ammo and I don't have any issues with my barrel.
My brother just bought a SW 22 AR .. we ran it the other day on a plate rack and it was insanely fun. Oh the mags for the SW are ALOT easier to load than the BlackDog mags.

We have been shooting the CMMG for about a year now and it works great. In fact there are four of us that warm up with the 22lr. Then we change out the bolt and shoot the 223. Keep it cleaned and oil it will shoot great. Why buy another barrel and upper? Unless you just like to spend money.

I got a dedicated .22LR gun from Spikes. LW barrel, Magpul grip and stock, Daniel Defense rail, Leupold scope on top. This is not the cheap option, but it is probably my favorite gun. I can use it to shoot 50 yards (still need to take it over to the 100 yard range), use it for Tactical 3 gun practice, use it for IPSC 3 gun .22LR division, and use it for fun mag dumps. The thing runs like a champ and the only time it has not performed 100% was with a suppressor attached and sub sonic ammo going through it. But I expected that, so I was not disappointed. If you have the coin, I recommend this option highly.