• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22lr Kidd build optic advice

ak4seven

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2021
Orange County, California
Wanted to get some opinions as I’m hoping to get into 22lr (NRL and precision) and basically a fun shooting gun. Building an “all out” KIDD 10/22. Last piece to buy is the optic. Feeling as though I didn’t cheap out on anything else but my budget has me thinking heavily on the optic. Is this where I could save but do I want to?

Optic choices that I’ve been eyeing are :

1. Vortex Viper 3-15x44mm PST G2 - best deal of the bunch and I’ve read great things about this one. Seems to check all the boxes with the exception of glass quality, not bad but not great, middle ground? Just good enough but will it have me wanting more later on?

2. Burris XTR3 3.3-18x50mm. More in cost but read so much on how glass quality is right up there with higher tier optics. FOV and eyebox are said to be awesome. I’m sure I wouldn’t regret it but opinions would be appreciated.

3. Vortex Razor 5-20x50mm G1. Tried and true favorite. Only thing making me reconsider this one is the parallax only goes down to 40yards. Anyone used this for their 22lr?

4. Vortex Razor 3-18 G2. The heaviest and most expensive of the bunch. Cost is the one factor holding me back on this one.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't want to be limited to a 40 yd parallax on a 22. I went with the Burris for my prone match rifle fwiw (5.5-30)

Try posting this in the optics forum. Everyone in here will just recommend whatever they’re using.
Was thinking because it’s for rimfire, this would be the best place to post?

Personally I wouldn't want to be limited to a 40 yd parallax on a 22. I went with the Burris for my prone match rifle fwiw (5.5-30)

Any particular reason you went 5-30 vs 3-18? I’ve been mulling back and forth as well.

Wanted to get some opinions as I’m hoping to get into 22lr (NRL and precision) and basically a fun shooting gun. Building an “all out” KIDD 10/22. Last piece to buy is the optic. Feeling as though I didn’t cheap out on anything else but my budget has me thinking heavily on the optic. Is this where I could save but do I want to?

Optic choices that I’ve been eyeing are :

1. Vortex Viper 3-15x44mm PST G2 - best deal of the bunch and I’ve read great things about this one. Seems to check all the boxes with the exception of glass quality, not bad but not great, middle ground? Just good enough but will it have me wanting more later on?

2. Burris XTR3 3.3-18x50mm. More in cost but read so much on how glass quality is right up there with higher tier optics. FOV and eyebox are said to be awesome. I’m sure I wouldn’t regret it but opinions would be appreciated.

3. Vortex Razor 5-20x50mm G1. Tried and true favorite. Only think making me reconsider this one is the parallax only goes down to 40yards. Anyone used this for their 22lr?

4. Vortex Razor 3-18 G2. The heaviest and most expensive of the bunch. Cost is the one factor holding me back on this one.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
I was in the same boat recently....I went with the PST G2 3-15x44. 1) Awesome price at europtics. 2) The Dark Lord of Optics spoke highly of it. His expert opinion (amongst other positive opinions here) is good enough for me.

One thing (for me though)...is I miss the higher magnification for 100 yards shooting paper off the bench for groups. But then again, that isn't what I got the scope for (I was looking for lighter weight, less magnification for appleseed shooting).

Even though I have my Vortex, I have been eyeballing the Element Helix 4-16x44. Very interesting scope and what I was looking for...look into it.

And maybe check out Arken Optics. I jumped in line for one of their EP5s. Their SH4 looks to be up your alley and is in stock.

Too many scopes and not enough guns!

Reactions: ak4seven
I was in the same boat recently....I went with the PST G2 3-15x44. 1) Awesome price as europtics. 2) The Dark Lord of Optics spoke highly of it. His expert opinion (amongst other positive opinions here) is good enough for me.

One thing (for me though)...is I miss the higher magnification for 100 yards shooting paper off the bench for groups. But then again, that isn't what I got the scope for (I was looking for lighter weight, less magnification for appleseed shooting).

Even though I have my Vortex, I have been eyeballing the Element Helix 4-16x44. Very interesting scope and what I was looking for...look into it.

And maybe check out Arken Optics. I jumped in line for one of their EP5s. Their SH4 looks to be up your alley and is in stock.
I also have some great Athlons and Burris XTR III in my inventory...all good to go too.
Too many scopes and not enough guns!

Arken EP5 5-25 = $500
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 - $650
Athlon Ares ETR - $950
Athlon Cronus - $1250
Tract Toric - $1500

Burris XTR Pro - $2200
Razor Gen 3 6-36 - $2600
ZCO 5-27 - $3800
Burris XTR 3 pro is actually less from Scott, I just ordered one 30 minutes ago.

Where can you get a Cronus gen 2 for 1250 ? Actually a great choice, I’ve one on my RimX.

Reactions: littlepod
Arken EP5 5-25 = $500
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 - $650
Athlon Ares ETR - $950
Athlon Cronus - $1250
Tract Toric - $1500

Burris XTR Pro - $2200
Razor Gen 3 6-36 - $2600
ZCO 5-27 - $3800
I'm in line for the XTR Pro (which is for my Tikka 6.5CM). Could you direct me where to find an Athlon Cronus for $1250?
I also have some great Athlons and Burris XTR III in my inventory...all good to go too.
In all honesty... Burris XTR3 3.3-18 is pretty much the top of my list of choices. Just trying to get a better feel of what others got going on, on their 22's.

I never buy any of my optics new. They're always lifetime warranty so paying 20% off for a used one is where I always end up going.

For a 22 there's so much variety of shooting to be done. PRS competitions, sure I float around 12-18 majority of the time. If I'm shooting 1/4" KYL on a hazy day, I'm up at max magnification, (27-30x). If I'm shooting for groups, I'm at max magnification. If I'm tuning my tuner etc, max magnification. So personally I really enjoy having something with that 25-30x available. I think 3.3-18 while it is fine for doing only PRS, you're missing out on some other fun activities that a high magnification can help with.

I saw someone with the Tract Toric for sale for $1250 the other day.

Vortex Strike Eagle. I've had several scopes on my Kidd 22 and the Strike Eagle is my choice for an affordable scope for NRL22.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
Give the Arken a good look. Full disclosure, I don't own one but will eventually I'm sure. I have several good friends/good shooters who do and are very happy with multiple Arken's. These are shooters who, like me, have high-end optics but don't see the need to put that money in every rifle build.

I own 4 Athlon Cronus scopes. One each on a Vudoo, B14R, Kidd classic, and Kidd supergrade. I have a Burris XTR 2 on my 457 only because I got that scope for a good deal years back. I’ve been able to buy 2 of my Cronus scopes used for around $1000-$1100. New cost slightly more through expert voice.

We shoot targets down to 35 yards, and the image is amazing on the Cronus. I can easily spot hits on steel at 300 yards too.

I have let a fair number of strangers look through the scopes while at the range, and I hear comments that for the price point, the value is awesome. I personally have not handled the others you list.

Was thinking because it’s for rimfire, this would be the best place to post?

Any particular reason you went 5-30 vs 3-18? I’ve been mulling back and forth as well.

I prefer the extra magnification for the type of matches the rifle was built for. Small bullseyes at 50 and 100yds prone.

Reactions: NewsShooter
I've had the gen1 Razor on my Bergara b14r for over a year, and shot probably 15 matches with it. Absolutely nothing to be worried about. You're not gonna be at max magnification at stuff closer that 40yds anyway. Had a crazy stage with a target at 7yds., Zoomed out, parallax was no issue

Only thing I'd change about the Razor HD is a locking windage turret, and maybe up to 25x for the range/NRL22x stuff.

Edit: 15 and 18 power is kinda low, especially when you've got assholes putting 2" - 1/4" KYL racks at 80yds

Last edited:
I have a Gen 1 Razor on my Tactical Solutions, not been a issue closer to 40 yards, my advice is always spend the same when it comes to optics, 3k gun, 3k glass, and so on, yes I do know that a XXXXX scope is dam good, and might be the deal of a lifetime.

Reactions: x2cross
my advice is always spend the same when it comes to optics, 3k gun, 3k glass, and so on, yes I do know that a XXXXX scope is dam good, and might be the deal of a lifetime.
Man, that advice will get expensive quick! There's a lot of good/great glass in the $500- 2000 range. After that, you've got the law of diminishing returns. Don't get me wrong, I've shot and fallen in love with Z-Co, but it's not twice as good as a Razor. Probably won't ever own one 😥

Puhaha... So much info on this site! Thanks everyone for the input... I've placed my order for the Burris XTR3 3.3x18x50mm SCR2. To me, felt it checks all of my boxes (FOV/Eye box/Glass and Cost for the quality you're getting).

Reactions: Moose
I went with a strike eagle for me best balance of features and cost.
ordered my Kidd 2 weeks ago, hoping I get a shipping notice soon!
how long did it take for your Kidd to arrive?
a friend ordered none recently and had it in about 10 days. I did ordered black as opposed to stainless which may explain why I am still waiting?

I went with a strike eagle for me best balance of features and cost.
ordered my Kidd 2 weeks ago, hoping I get a shipping notice soon!
how long did it take for your Kidd to arrive?
a friend ordered none recently and had it in about 10 days. I did ordered black as opposed to stainless which may explain why I am still waiting?
I'm on the same boat as you Major. Still waiting patiently. I don't mind the wait as I know they'll build it right. I ordered the black receiver/black barrel KIDD Supergrade as well.

Got notice todat the rifle shipped.
so on the truck somewhere is the scope, rings and barreled action due in early next week. I have a match on the 2nd, so hope to give it a maiden voyage then!

Awesome!! They are super quick. My barreled action was shipped shortly after ordering. Congrats!!